Changes YOU'D LIKE TO SEE to the game of golf

15678911»

Comments

• PedronNiallPedronNiall Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭
    Interesting that a few of the suggestions put forth here by a lot of people have made it in recently. Spike marks, changes to the "penalty areas" rules, etc.
  • BallgofarboyBallgofarboy Old man Members Posts: 1,485 ✭✭
    Balls in the fairway that come to rest in a sand filled divot should be a free drop from ground under repair. I wonder why they did not make that change? It is very unfair to penalize someone that hit the ball where you wanted them to hit it. In the fairway! image/slow_en.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':slow_en:' />
    Callaway XR 9.5 degree
    Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
    NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
    Callaway Razr Tour Irons
    50 degree Volkey
    WITB Link
    58 degree cleveland
    52 degree Sixron
  • buckrogers71buckrogers71 Members Posts: 302 ✭✭

Balls in the fairway that come to rest in a sand filled divot should be a free drop from ground under repair. I wonder why they did not make that change? It is very unfair to penalize someone that hit the ball where you wanted them to hit it. In the fairway! image/slow_en.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':slow_en:' />

I agree with you 100% but by making that statement, you have kicked the hornet's nest LOL
  • 11forgedblades11forgedblades Members Posts: 562 ✭✭
    I think it would be very unpopular, but just ONE standard golf ball. Titleist pro v1 or srixon z star or Wilson duo. Doesn't matter, just pick one and make that the "standard" that everyone had to play.
    COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
    TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
    COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
    TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
    BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"
  • CrushSticksCrushSticks Members Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I understand all of the divot complaints, but how often is everyone actually landing in a divot? It honestly happens to me once or twice a year.
    Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
    Adams Tight Lies 3-16
    Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
    Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
    Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
    Vokey SM 09 56
    Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"
  • NPVWhizNPVWhiz Members Posts: 1,976 ✭✭
    A cold weather acclimated dwarf Bermuda strain.

A 250cc driver head size limit, along with a trimmed minimum driver shaft weight of 80 grams.

A time limit for a round of competitive golf with DQ as the penalty for breach.

A return to course setup where simply being in the fairway will over a year’s time result in a strokes gained advantage over the portion of the field that is less frequently in the fairway, ceteris pariibus.

A ball standard that returns the 300 yard drive to its decades long status as a thing to be marveled.

A single, worldwide governing body with a requirement that the stewardship of the game be delegated to a group that can derive their family lineage to golfers that played in the 1700s or prior.

A rules structure that preserves the idea that the winner of a golf tournament should generally be viewed by the other competitors as a skilled and competent player worthy of the honor that comes with victory.

Shall I continue?
    Taylormade r11s 9 Penley Stealth 70x 44.5" D-3
    > Taylormade 16 M1 8.5 GD AD TP6x 44.0" D3 PX Hzrdus Black 75 6.0 44.5" D-3
    Nickent 3DX Pro 14 MRC Diamana WB 83s
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18 Grafalloy CNote ProtoX
    Mizuno MP62 DG x-100 Sensicore D-4 3-pw
    > Ping i200 DG120 S3 D-3 +1/4" Red 4-U.
    Vokey SM6 56-14/60-04M DG x-100 Sensicore 1xss D-5
    > Vokey SM6 56/10 60/4M DG 120 S300 35" D-5
    Scotty Golo
  • The Real PacmanThe Real Pacman Members Posts: 79 ✭✭

I'd like to see more people walking that are able to, and course designs geared more toward the walking golfer.

• SurfDufferSurfDuffer Members Posts: 3,022 ✭✭

Roll beck the groove rule on the wedges and irons to what it used to be.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
    Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
    Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
    Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
    SeeMore FPG Putter
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,510 ✭✭

I think we should just be able to write down the score we want. Why should I have to post 81 when I think I should have shot 73? It’s not fair that the ball I hit out of bounds counts, the two 3 putts were because the greens were faster than yesterday and come on - does that run of 4 straight bogies really count? The sun was in my eyes, I don’t control the sun.....the guy in the shop does. I think. So yeah, 73.

• MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members Posts: 363 ✭✭

Shorter golf courses closer to city centers. Give me a walkable three hole track with a par 3 and a couple par 4's, and I play that every day after work.

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy driver, Aldila Rogue M-AX 75
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 Wood, Aldila Tour Blue 85
    Srixon Z H45 3 & 4 hybrid, stock Kuro Kage
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 Milled S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway Mac Daddy PM Grind 58 deg.
    Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide, Rosemark 7Teen grip
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,684 ClubWRX

@CrushSticks said:
    I understand all of the divot complaints, but how often is everyone actually landing in a divot? It honestly happens to me once or twice a year.

Agreed. It happens WAY less often than the times I hit a crappy drive way into the rough or trees and catch a really good break and have a good look, from a shot that should be dead.

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • turtlekcturtlekc 1995 MN PGA WisconsinClubWRX Posts: 12,779 ClubWRX

@golfandfishing said:
    I think we should just be able to write down the score we want. Why should I have to post 81 when I think I should have shot 73? It’s not fair that the ball I hit out of bounds counts, the two 3 putts were because the greens were faster than yesterday and come on - does that run of 4 straight bogies really count? The sun was in my eyes, I don’t control the sun.....the guy in the shop does. I think. So yeah, 73.

Nice! Where is that LOL button now that I need it? Cheers! :)

I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,684 ClubWRX

@golfandfishing said:

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately if you’re playing them for money) I think there are a lot of people who do just that. My best friend is a classic example.

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • ChrismydawgChrismydawg JLo Members Posts: 395 ✭✭

More courses with lights that allow nighttime play in America. There are very few and I personally would love to play at night, it looks awesome.

• BearQBearQ Break 2 Rebuild Members Posts: 3,486 ✭✭

@Chrismydawg said:
    More courses with lights that allow nighttime play in America. There are very few and I personally would love to play at night, it looks awesome.

Agree! At least light up short game/driving range till later for the folk who can come out at the witching hour only

Amateur tournament golf needs to be speed up big time. Ready golf is common sense but its not the norm. Super long pre shot routines to shoot a million is tough to withstand. 6hr local qualifiers will make most not want to qualify anymore lol.

Cobra LTD Pro 9.5* - Matrix Type C 70X
    TM M2 Tour 15* - Matrix Black Tie 80M4-X
    Bridgestone XD-H 18* - Speeder TS 9.8X 
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*)  Nike VR Forged (56DS)  Cleveland RTX2 raw (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 

• tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers Posts: 815 ✭✭

It depends on whether we are talking regular 'ol recreation golf or Tour golf.

For the Tour I'd like to see a lot of things, but would love to see:
    1. The use of rangefinders in competition.
    2. No green reading books or materials whatsoever.

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • 3jacker3jacker Members Posts: 1,004 ✭✭
    edited Apr 2, 2019 1:07pm #318

No rules changes for me.. I'll play then however they are; percevied unfairness or no - that's part of the quirkiness of the game.

I'd like to see it return to a "healthy" level of interest. Not the Tiger-bubble, not the overbuilt golf courses for developments bubble, certainly not the "let's attract more people - regardless of their quality" to the game.

I'd make failing to repair ball marks and ejectable offense. As well as raking bunkers, or driving up to greens to save you 7 steps.

I'd like to see equipment manufacturers not own the game. I'd like to see people with 18+ handicaps have enough sense to know the most of the "tech advancements" announced every 6 months amount to squat for all players, including Tour players.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
    Sizemore XB-1