Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Changes YOU'D LIKE TO SEE to the game of golf

2456712

Comments

  • MedicMedic Members Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have said it before and caught a lot of flak for it, but no player should ever be penalized due to the laziness of another. I am referring to footprints in bunkers that go unraked and landing in divots in the fairway.



    Just yesterday I got one of the best drives of the day on a hard par 5 drawing it around the corner and placing myself into a great position to layup. Unfortunately my ball was in a deep divot and I had to swing down a little more with a wedge just to advance it. I took a bogey on the hole because my layup distance was too far out to get it close, I pulled the shot into the sand, and didn't get it up and down. And all because another player was too lazy to fill their divot with sand that is provided on each and every cart.
    Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
    Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
    Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
    Titleist Vokey 50*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
    Tad Moore TM-1 35"
    Callaway Chrome Soft
  • AlecEmersonGolfAlecEmersonGolf Members Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 29, 2015 #33
    divots in fairway are G.U.R



    I don't think they should remove O.B. because it changes the way a hole plays. Imagine a short par 4 with Ob surrounding the green. if it is changed from ob to hazard, then everyone who can reach the green would go for it without thinking of the risk, because if you hit it into the "hazard", you still have an up and down for par, instead of having to make birdie for bogey/par for double. OB makes you think and weigh risk vs. reward. also if you're not playing a tournament, you can always just play ob/lost ball as lateral hazard if you want.
    Driver - 915 D3 8.5 Aldila Rouge Black X C1 setting
    3 wood - Callaway x2 hot pro 15 degree Aldila Rouge Green stiff
    Hybrid - 20.5 degree titleist 816 h1 diamana white stiff a1 setting
    irons - scratch sb1 4-p ctaper 130 x shaft dd sole
    wedges - 52/56/60 edel
    putter - edel e-3 torque balanced
  • crater_divotscrater_divots Members Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    also if you're not playing a tournament, you can always just play ob/lost ball as lateral hazard if you want.




    I don't want to be "that guy"... but no, you can't.



    I suppose you can do whatever you want in reality, but if you follow the rules and record handicaps, you can't just fudge the rules however you like.









    I would like to comment on your point of "playing a hole differently" with OB present vs. a hazard. You act as if hitting into a hazard isn't a concern because one can still possible get up and down for par. But that's part of the beauty of those hazards. You are punished for your errant shot, but if you follow it up with a great shot then you can get right back on track. Just like the game should be.



    If you tee off on a short par 4 and Go OB, you now have to hit 2 absurdly great shots (drive the green, make the putt) to get back on track. The penalty is too severe.





    ...







    I have a course nearby in which 7 of the 9 holes on the front 9 have OB on them, and very much in play. It's not uncommon for someone to have a great round going and find OB twice and they're completely done. You really can't recover from OB...
  • sui generissui generis Members Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My fondest hope is that this rubbish never gets moved to the Rules folder. (OP, you should wish for that also.) image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • BillMurrayGolfBillMurrayGolf Fairways And a Greens My Friend...HaHaHaHa Banned Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited Jun 30, 2015 #36
    If you make three hole in ones in one round you advance straight to the PGA Tour.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • crater_divotscrater_divots Members Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My fondest hope is that this rubbish never gets moved to the Rules folder. (OP, you should wish for that also.) image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />




    The only thing I wish is that random people with nothing to contribute wouldn't post.
  • rjholmes3rjholmes3 Members Posts: 73
    The only change I want to see is regarding pace of play. However, I don't think it'll ever change since most courses don't have enough funds to pay for a marshall on each hole. It seems like everything in life gets easier so I wouldn't want the other challenges/penalties of golf to be diminished.
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with Shipwreck.....Mandatory Etiquette classes. When I was a kid, you weren't allowed on the local courses unless you knew proper etiquette....
    Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS or Xhot 15* OG Blueboard 73s
    G 410 19* & 22*  Tensei Pro Blue 80s
    Apex 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s 
    RTX4 54/10 and 58/8 2 dots
    Bettinardi BB1/ Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)
    Some kind of 3 or 4 piece urethane covered soft feeling ball
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 20,139 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sean2 wrote:


    Sandbaggers should be shot.




    The pot calling the kettle black is not a strong enough phrase here...
    Titleist 915d3 9.5
    Titleist 917f3 15
    Mizuno Clk 18, 21
    Titleist 716mb 4-Pw
    Vokey Sm7 52, 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #8
    Titleist ProV1
  • joeshmojoeshmo Members Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    concrete cart paths and sprinklers in the fringe.

    a good rainbird can shoot 20' no reason to be so close to the green.
    Talent is the desire to practice
  • KCCOKCCO Members Posts: 1,871 ✭✭
    If you become a member on WRX, you must post a swing video...sorry not the game, but I would love to click on certain profiles and see that 300yd+ baby draw with the perfect follow through.....oh the game? Fix 1-2 ball marks when on green, simple request

    Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
    Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
    Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
    Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
    PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
    009 ProV1

  • AlecEmersonGolfAlecEmersonGolf Members Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonne69 wrote:



    Divots in the fairway should be G.U.R. If there is any talk about that being too hard to define, it's not, it's just like all other G.U.R., we let the partners in the group decide.




    GUR is clearly marked by paint and/or stakes. Is every divot going to be similarly marked? I'm guessing not. So, you're suggesting that every time someone's ball may be in a divot, you're going to call a committee meeting? Like we need more things to slow down the game. Will it require a unanimous decision, or simple majority?
    so maybe they wouldn't call divots "GUR" by the definition in the rules of golf, but it can just be an immovable obstruction.
    Driver - 915 D3 8.5 Aldila Rouge Black X C1 setting
    3 wood - Callaway x2 hot pro 15 degree Aldila Rouge Green stiff
    Hybrid - 20.5 degree titleist 816 h1 diamana white stiff a1 setting
    irons - scratch sb1 4-p ctaper 130 x shaft dd sole
    wedges - 52/56/60 edel
    putter - edel e-3 torque balanced
  • AlecEmersonGolfAlecEmersonGolf Members Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

    also if you're not playing a tournament, you can always just play ob/lost ball as lateral hazard if you want.




    I don't want to be "that guy"... but no, you can't.



    I suppose you can do whatever you want in reality, but if you follow the rules and record handicaps, you can't just fudge the rules however you like.









    I would like to comment on your point of "playing a hole differently" with OB present vs. a hazard. You act as if hitting into a hazard isn't a concern because one can still possible get up and down for par. But that's part of the beauty of those hazards. You are punished for your errant shot, but if you follow it up with a great shot then you can get right back on track. Just like the game should be.



    If you tee off on a short par 4 and Go OB, you now have to hit 2 absurdly great shots (drive the green, make the putt) to get back on track. The penalty is too severe.





    ...







    I have a course nearby in which 7 of the 9 holes on the front 9 have OB on them, and very much in play. It's not uncommon for someone to have a great round going and find OB twice and they're completely done. You really can't recover from OB...
    Thats where we disagree, I don't think the penalty of stroke and distance is too severe. part of the game is knowing where you miss the ball, and how much risk you can take on.
    Driver - 915 D3 8.5 Aldila Rouge Black X C1 setting
    3 wood - Callaway x2 hot pro 15 degree Aldila Rouge Green stiff
    Hybrid - 20.5 degree titleist 816 h1 diamana white stiff a1 setting
    irons - scratch sb1 4-p ctaper 130 x shaft dd sole
    wedges - 52/56/60 edel
    putter - edel e-3 torque balanced
  • Soloman1Soloman1 Members Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Shipwreck wrote:


    Mandatory etiquette course for new players, and, like a license, you have to renew yours every 5 years or so.




    That's the way it is in Germany. You have to get a "license." It's a one-day course and it costs about US$4-500.



    I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Medic wrote:


    I have said it before and caught a lot of flak for it, but no player should ever be penalized due to the laziness of another. I am referring to footprints in bunkers that go unraked and landing in divots in the fairway.



    Just yesterday I got one of the best drives of the day on a hard par 5 drawing it around the corner and placing myself into a great position to layup. Unfortunately my ball was in a deep divot and I had to swing down a little more with a wedge just to advance it. I took a bogey on the hole because my layup distance was too far out to get it close, I pulled the shot into the sand, and didn't get it up and down. And all because another player was too lazy to fill their divot with sand that is provided on each and every cart.




    Simple. Learn to hit from a divot, as it's part of the game. When your ball hits a tree, and bounces back into the fairway, do you want to be required to pick up the ball and throw it into the trees? Lucky and bad breaks are part of the game, and even out over time.



    I do agree that lazy a-holes should fix their divots.
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Argonne69 wrote:



    Divots in the fairway should be G.U.R. If there is any talk about that being too hard to define, it's not, it's just like all other G.U.R., we let the partners in the group decide.




    GUR is clearly marked by paint and/or stakes. Is every divot going to be similarly marked? I'm guessing not. So, you're suggesting that every time someone's ball may be in a divot, you're going to call a committee meeting? Like we need more things to slow down the game. Will it require a unanimous decision, or simple majority?
    so maybe they wouldn't call divots "GUR" by the definition in the rules of golf, but it can just be an immovable obstruction.




    So basically golf becomes miniature golf, but instead of windmills and clowns, we have divots. It's not an obstruction. It's bad turf. If I land in the rough, sometimes I have a nice fluffy lie, and other times the ball sits down. 'Dems the breaks. Should I be allowed to drop my ball in the rough if I don't like the lie?
  • KrazyTrain18KrazyTrain18 Members Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 29, 2015 #48
    I would love to see courses dry down the fairways and focus pm using that money towards keeping the greens in better shape year round.
    915D3 9.5 (GD-DI 6S Black Edition)
    910F 15 (Diamana Kai'li 75S)
    712U 2I (DG S300)
    714 AP2 4-W (DG S300)
    SM6 (50-54-58) (DG S200)
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (Studio Select)
    TP5
  • edub72edub72 Members Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring back caddies and caddie programs (for enjoyment and to employ more youth at something other than fast food and retail)

    Hourly rates or per hole rates, I'd much rather walk 4-5 holes than go to the range

    I think ob needs an overhaul. I understand not playing out of someone's backyard but if your ball is an inch in the yard with an otherwise open shot to the green that's a bit silly of you ask me. Plus OB should be consistent throughout the course. On #1 at my home course I can swing away and if I snap it left I'm in the lake with a drop around 100 yards out, and almost all of the course is a hazard down the left, but you gotta blow it way left, until you get to 16, then anything left of the left center of the fairway will be ob due to the feed off the ground and you're usually about 1-2' feet ob after a shot that is less than 5 yards out of the fairway. My .02

    Callaway GBB Oban devotion
    V Steel 13 s300 steel shaft
    Adams prototype 18* vs Proto
    Adams prototype 23* Aldila rip
    Razr X tour 5-pw vs Proto
    Cleveland cg14 48
    Callaway md3 s grind 52
    Vokey 58
    Odyssey WH 7
  • bullunion3bullunion3 Members Posts: 81
    Tiger to start playing well again
  • Mlight9Mlight9 Keep it in the short grass. Members Posts: 106


    Proof of hc to play certain sets of tees would be great



    I like this one ^^^^
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 915 3 wood FD
    3-PW AP2
    Vokey SM5 50 54 58
    Ping Scottsdale putter

    Just swing your swing.
  • AnonymosityAnonymosity Members Posts: 538
    I say this as someone who hasn't taken a mulligan in many years:



    We should get one mulligan every nine holes. Not to make the game easier, but to add another layer of strategy to it.
  • John L.John L. Members Posts: 1,248 ✭✭
    Medic wrote:


    I have said it before and caught a lot of flak for it, but no player should ever be penalized due to the laziness of another. I am referring to footprints in bunkers that go unraked and landing in divots in the fairway.



    Just yesterday I got one of the best drives of the day on a hard par 5 drawing it around the corner and placing myself into a great position to layup. Unfortunately my ball was in a deep divot and I had to swing down a little more with a wedge just to advance it. I took a bogey on the hole because my layup distance was too far out to get it close, I pulled the shot into the sand, and didn't get it up and down. And all because another player was too lazy to fill their divot with sand that is provided on each and every cart.




    I agree.
  • MedicMedic Members Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonne69 wrote:
    Medic wrote:


    I have said it before and caught a lot of flak for it, but no player should ever be penalized due to the laziness of another. I am referring to footprints in bunkers that go unraked and landing in divots in the fairway.



    Just yesterday I got one of the best drives of the day on a hard par 5 drawing it around the corner and placing myself into a great position to layup. Unfortunately my ball was in a deep divot and I had to swing down a little more with a wedge just to advance it. I took a bogey on the hole because my layup distance was too far out to get it close, I pulled the shot into the sand, and didn't get it up and down. And all because another player was too lazy to fill their divot with sand that is provided on each and every cart.




    Simple. Learn to hit from a divot, as it's part of the game. When your ball hits a tree, and bounces back into the fairway, do you want to be required to pick up the ball and throw it into the trees? Lucky and bad breaks are part of the game, and even out over time.



    I do agree that lazy a-holes should fix their divots.




    Not a good comparison. Divot represents something that was not a part of the course design. The tree was. And my point has always been that no one player should be penalized by another players laziness.
    Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
    Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
    Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
    Titleist Vokey 50*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
    Tad Moore TM-1 35"
    Callaway Chrome Soft
  • SixtySomePingSixtySomePing Members Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Future golf perhaps: Display boards at tee boxes showing your shot trace (you're welcome) along with pin position on each green before you get there.

    Clubs that give you feedback on your shot to a kindle type pad, or an earpad.

    Creative glasses that give you the vision to play at night.

    Underground course warmers that keep the course warm enough to let us northerners play year round.

    Club washers at the tee box also (how hard can that be?)
  • MountainKingMountainKing Members Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I like a lot of the ideas on here. I do think the game has gotten to the point where the amateur game needs a separate set of rules from the pro game. They have a ton of advantage in terms of course conditioning, an audience to help find the ball and not having to deal with people on the course not raking bunkers/repairing ball marks ect ect. In the modern day if you take skill level out of it and just look at the course their game is not the same game we play on our muni's week in and week out no matter how much you try to make it.



    1) ob and hazards all just need to become a hazard. OB is a mandatory penalty but you can drop laterally, in play hazards you could still play it as a lies. It will help speed of play, nothing kills me more than waiting 5 minutes only for a guy who didn't hit a provisional drive or walk all the way back to replay a shot...or a guy who keeps launching shot after shot OB and hitting provisional after provisional.



    2) The lost ball penalty is kind of a fine line one, if the group can agree that it was just lost in the thick rough you get a free drop in an area they agreed but that could be one that is taken advantage of on a lot of courses. Tour guys have an audience/tv cameras ect to help them find golf balls, we don't so it kind of sucks when you know you hit it in play and you just can't find it cause of leaves or thick rough. This would also help slow play, you could set the 5 minute rule down to 1 or 2 minutes and after that you drop and just keep going as long as the group agrees the ball did not enter a hazard/fescue grass ect, again thats kind of a fine line rule just because there's a lot of places for loopholes.



    3) You should be allowed to fix spike marks on greens



    4) You should be allowed to fix the bunker if your ball ends up in somebody's foot print, again on tour you'll never see this happen



    5) Not sure where I stand on the divot thing, part of me says you should get a drop but then again there's so many stages to a divot and it's repair that I'm not really sure how you define it.



    Overall I think the rules just need to be simplified and made easier for amateur golfers so there isn't so many questions when things happen. I think it would not only speed up play but you might find people actually learning the rules a little better because there's just less to learn. Golf is the only sport I've played where you have to carry around a rule book because it's so darn complex at times.

    Taylormade M3 8.5* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x
    Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300
    Callaway Razr Tour Hybrid 19* Nunchuk
    Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW TT X100
    Tour Preferred 50/54 S400
    TM HI Toe 58 ATV S400
    TM Itsy Bitsy

  • bazinkybazinky Members Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I with the guys that would like to see a change to the rules regarding landing in divots in the fairway. I'm just not sure what the proper rule change should be to keep things equitable and not make it too difficult to interpret/or implement. I don't like being penalized for hitting the shot I'm trying to hit.



    Other issues (such as footprints in bunkers) involve a miss, so I'm fine with getting screwed. I hate listening to people b**** about bunker conditions. In my opinion, they are supposed to be penal. I'd be all for getting rid of rakes, period.
    Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
    Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S or Ping i20 4i - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping i20 5i-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
    Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"
  • hollabachgthollabachgt Members Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭




    1) NO MORE OB! NO MORE LOST BALLS!



    It's my belief that these two penalties are far too severe for the game. I'm also a big believer in simplifying things. Keep the yellow stakes and the red stakes, and keep the penalties associated.



    Stroke AND distance can make a competitive round a blowout in a heartbeat. Take Brendan Grace's gaff in the US OPEN. If he isn't reteeing shot #3, he still has a chance. I've seen too many rounds derailed by a shot OB.



    I play enough courses with OB on pretty much every hole that it takes away from the game. I'd rather be tempted to cut a corner, miss, and face a one stroke penalty as opposed to avoiding half of many holes just to prevent the big penalty.



    Same with lost balls. Any stroke and distance penalty is TOO severe, IMO.






    Alister MacKenzie would agree with you. In fact he included it as one of his 13 Principles of Golf Course Architecture "There should be a complete absence of the annoyance and irritation caused by the necessity of searching for lost balls." But his solution had nothing to do with changing the rules, rather he focused on designing courses that eliminated lost ball and out of bounds. Many of the Golden age architects did. Lost ball and OB as they occur today are a greater byproduct of course design common in the 70's, 80's and 90's than the rules.
  • hollabachgthollabachgt Members Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭

    you could argue a move to a 15 club rule. every player has one yardage gap at either the top or bottom of the bag because we have to prioritize carrying one more wood/hybrid vs wedge or vice versa.




    I kind of disagree (but not passionately, so this will be my only rebuttal)



    I think that golf being a game of skill means that players should be rewarded by their ability to hit different shots in different situations. I'd be happy if the max club rule was 12. Make people learn to hit different trajectories to cover different yardage gaps.




    I'd like to take it a bit further and reduce the count to 10 clubs. It would return shotmaking back to the game, force players to make hard decisions in how they construct their bags, would reduce the cost for players trying to get into the game as they don't feel compelled to buy as much equipment, and has the potential to encourage players playing from shorter tees.
  • hollabachgthollabachgt Members Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medic wrote:


    I have said it before and caught a lot of flak for it, but no player should ever be penalized due to the laziness of another. I am referring to footprints in bunkers that go unraked and landing in divots in the fairway.



    Just yesterday I got one of the best drives of the day on a hard par 5 drawing it around the corner and placing myself into a great position to layup. Unfortunately my ball was in a deep divot and I had to swing down a little more with a wedge just to advance it. I took a bogey on the hole because my layup distance was too far out to get it close, I pulled the shot into the sand, and didn't get it up and down. And all because another player was too lazy to fill their divot with sand that is provided on each and every cart.




    Where I come from that's simple known as rub of the green and has been an integral part of playing the game for over 400 years. Why does the golfing ground need to be "pristine"?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file