2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Golfnow.com vs. Teeoff.com by PGA

Just saw a new commercial for a golfnow copy called teeoff.com by the PGA. Anyone hear of it? Why would the pga want to compete with the golf channel who owns golfnow? Just curious.

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Orlandogolfguru' timestamp='1436127967' post='11891942']
Just saw a new commercial for a golfnow copy called teeoff.com by the PGA. Anyone hear of it? Why would the pga want to compete with the golf channel who owns golfnow? Just curious.
[/quote]

You ask why they would want to compete with GolfNow? It's because GolfNow made 150 Million Dollars last year alone.

Ping G410+ Motore Speeder Tour Spec 73X
TM M4 3W GD Tour AD Di 9x
TM M4 5W GD Tour AD Di 9x
NCW 4 - PW Ti S400
54 & 58 TVD Ti S400
Toulon San Diego

[quote name='Tbell3' timestamp='1436639556' post='11929530']
[/quote]

You ask why they would want to compete with GolfNow? It's because GolfNow made 150 Million Dollars last year alone.
[/quote]

Thanks, my question wasn't really why would anyone want to compete with golfnow, it was more why woul the PGA want to compete with the golf channel, you would figure that they would try to purchase shares or something. Or work with TGC. I've tried teeoff and the course I live on isn't even listed. Oh well. I guess there's plenty of money for both of them. Too bad I didn't build it first.

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Orlandogolfguru' timestamp='1436653427' post='11930568']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks, my question wasn't really why would anyone want to compete with golfnow, it was more why woul the PGA want to compete with the golf channel, you would figure that they would try to purchase shares or something. Or work with TGC. I've tried teeoff and the course I live on isn't even listed. Oh well. I guess there's plenty of money for both of them. Too bad I didn't build it first.
[/quote]

The reason the tour entered into this space is because they are going about this at the best interest of the golf course unlike golfnow. The tour doesn't discount the prices it's all done at the golf courses discretion. Unlike golfnow the course has the say in everything that's listed.

NCW 4 - PW Ti S400
54 & 58 TVD Ti S400
Toulon San Diego

I have used GolfNow for the last 2 seasons, and the season before that my playing partner booked for us on GolfNow as well. I booked a tee time this upcoming Saturday at Old Corkscrew in Estero, FL. It is a supreme Jack Nickalus course. Through GolfNow I booked a 4some for 39 per man plus the 5 dollar booking fee. I just checked teen.com and they want the same price listed on Old Corkscrew's website for this time of year which is the offseason with cheaper prices, 90.00!!! GolfNow is still much better, you guys are crazy.

The key to golfnow is making sure that the price you are getting + the service charge is lower than what it would cost to book directly with the course. Still plenty of good deals to be had at Golfnow.

I just got a reward of a free hot deal round (up to $40) and used it to pay $80 for a twosome to a course where it would usually cost $160. So there are deals to be had if you're patient.

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1438193425' post='12042512']
The key to golfnow is making sure that the price you are getting + the service charge is lower than what it would cost to book directly with the course. Still plenty of good deals to be had at Golfnow. [/quote]

This is very true. It isn't impossible, but you have to consider all costs before booking.

I just got a reward of a free hot deal round (up to $40) and used it to pay $80 for a twosome to a course where it would usually cost $160. So there are deals to be had if you're patient.
[/quote]
That looks like the 15 reservation reward. If that is the case, just remember that you have paid $52.35 in fees @ 3.49 each to get a $40 round. Also, your post is somewhat confusing in stating you get a free round, up to $40, but you wording makes it appear that you were able to use it for an $80 round.

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote]

[/quote]

Source? Do you know how much the other sites are pulling in?

[quote name='Buddha' timestamp='1438603134' post='12068500']
The key to golfnow is making sure that the price you are getting + the service charge is lower than what it would cost to book directly with the course. Still plenty of good deals to be had at Golfnow. [/quote]

This is very true. It isn't impossible, but you have to consider all costs before booking.

[/quote]
That looks like the 15 reservation reward. If that is the case, just remember that you have paid $52.35 in fees @ 3.49 each to get a $40 round. Also, your post is somewhat confusing in stating you get a free round, up to $40, but you wording makes it appear that you were able to use it for an $80 round.
[/quote]

Yes, I paid service charges to get those rewards, but I only book tee times that are cheaper than calling the course so its not like I was losing money with those earlier service charges.

As to the second point, sorry if that was confusing....the hot deal I used the $80 on was for a course that would usually cost $160 for 2 players. I found a hot deal for $120 and used my $40 reward to get it for $80, hence the $80 saving off the regular fee. Sorry for the confusion, I can see where that didn't make a lot of sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Courses will not price match[quote name='DonatelloNobodie' timestamp='1440510153' post='12204766']
Check both. Look only for the "deals".

You can usually get equal or better rates for non-deals by simply calling the course, especially when you mention the online rate. Save the online fee, which in the case of GolfNow has gotten a bit high.
[/quote]

Courses will not price match hot deal prices on golf now.

I was just down in Amelia Island Fl. playing golf with a buddy. Teeoff.com doesn't have nearly as many courses listed as GolfNow does.
Played both the Marsh and the Ocean course in Amelia Plantation through GolfNow for 37.00 bucks. The course wanted 69.00 and that was with our discount for staying at the Omni Resort.
There are deals to be had at both sources. Not a huge fan of GolfNow's fees, but they still save you money. Teeoff needs to add more courses to their lineup to compete with GolfNow.

SupremeGolf is also pretty good too. It aggregates deals from all of the discount sites (including GolfNow and TeeOff). My only complaint is that some times it's delayed and the deal will no longer be available.

At least in my area, GolfNow has more variety but it's tough to beat that 20% off every week from TeeOff, especially with the GolfNow fee hike.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='UNClawgolfer' timestamp='1442322161' post='12315904']
TeeOff has great coupons but hardly any courses in my area... Golfnow really lost my business when they started charging fees this year.

The problem is when you book a foursome for your buddies and get stuck with fees for 4 people.
[/quote]

Does it really matter, if it's still cheaper than any other option? Why can't your buddies pay you back?

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1442327220' post='12316302']
[quote name='UNClawgolfer' timestamp='1442322161' post='12315904']
TeeOff has great coupons but hardly any courses in my area... Golfnow really lost my business when they started charging fees this year.

The problem is when you book a foursome for your buddies and get stuck with fees for 4 people.
[/quote]

Does it really matter, if it's still cheaper than any other option? Why can't your buddies pay you back?
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. Whenever I've booked a hot deal for me and buddies I always told them about the fees and they always pay me.

[quote name='Buddha' timestamp='1442355201' post='12318700']
[quote name='MDH713' timestamp='1442352476' post='12318462']
How much are the fees for golf now? I haven't used the site in about a year. I may try using it in about 3 weeks.
[/quote]

3.49/person booked
[/quote]

Dang those fools jacked it up from the last time I booked earlier in the year!

[/quote]

[quote name='wOwens1223' timestamp='1438191516' post='12042296']
I have used GolfNow for the last 2 seasons, and the season before that my playing partner booked for us on GolfNow as well. I booked a tee time this upcoming Saturday at Old Corkscrew in Estero, FL. It is a supreme Jack Nickalus course. Through GolfNow I booked a 4some for 39 per man plus the 5 dollar booking fee. I just checked teen.com and they want the same price listed on Old Corkscrew's website for this time of year which is the offseason with cheaper prices, 90.00!!! GolfNow is still much better, you guys are crazy.
[/quote]

Purely from the golfer's standpoint GolfNow is definitely the better option in almost every scenario. You get cheap golf, plain and simple.

The system that GolfNow operates on is terrible for the golf courses themselves unless they have full tee sheets and are just "filling in" the dead spots with GolfNow times.

The PGA has their own affialated booking engine because they don't steal from the golf courses business like GolfNow, they just offer an avenue for the courses to gain business. Yes GolfNow gets golfers on the tee sheet, but at a very high cost to the facility in multiple facets. GolfNow operates on a "marketing agreement". You GIVE away tee times to GolfNow in exchange for the ability to be posted on their site. GolfNow owns those tee times each day and can sell them for whatever price they feel like. They are not invested in the golf course operations at all so they could sell them for $5 per player and still be making money. A golf course has to then basically compete with itself. If the tee sheet is nearly filled to begin with then it isn't much of an issue; some golfers just get a fantastic deal while others still pay the regular rate. If your tee sheet is sparse or struggling to begin with then you begin to see a flow of golfers on the sheet from regular rates into the GolfNow zones where the course is literally making zero money. You then have to drop rates around the GolfNow times in hopes that people will grab them instead of going online. In essence you lower your ceiling and floor on pricing, effectively killing your bottom line.

At the end of the day it is obviously on the golf course what happens with GolfNow and themselves but having teeoff.com as an option gives courses an out so they don't have to sell their soul to the devil aka GolfNow

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='msmith' timestamp='1439336443' post='12119852']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Source? Do you know how much the other sites are pulling in?
[/quote]

Because the company I work for is a direct competitor of golfnow

NCW 4 - PW Ti S400
54 & 58 TVD Ti S400
Toulon San Diego

Golfnow works with over 8000 golf courses. Given that each course must give golfnow either 1 or 2 tee times, that is at minimum 10000 rounds per day. With 4 spots per tee time, that's 40k rounds a day. I think 150 million is a very conservative number, it could be more.

As for deals, i think in most markets Golfnow dominates the "deals" category. I'm in NC and just for local GN courses I see probably 10 hot deals a day that are absurdly low. I played Tot Hill farm for $13...the first time i played that course it was like $68.

To the point of the golf courses and how GN impacts them, I don't think it is a stretch to imagine that most golf courses regret the decision to join GN's network.

[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra LTD Tensei Pro Blue 70[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Titleist 816H1 17* GD AD HY 85[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Callaway Apex 20* GD AD HY 95[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Nike Vapor Pro 4-pw Recoil 110 proto[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Vokey SM6 50-54-58 Recoil 125 proto[/font][/size][/b]