SHAFT fitting question - KBS Tour x-stiff

xcvpat ·  
xcvpatxcvpat Members  2WRX Points: 30Posts: 2 Starters
I recently got fitted for some new irons using Mizuno's shaft fitter. Once by an independent club fitter and once by Trevor at Roger Dunn in LA. Both times the results recommended a KBS Tour X-Stiff. I tried that shaft on a 6i head and it felt great. So I ordered.

I come home and do a tiny bit of research and learn that my 6i swing speed (~avg 88, never higher than 90) falls just outside the x-stiff recommended 6i swing speed (90+), and now the mental hurdle of "did I just order shafts that are too stiff for me??" come to mind.

Am I overreacting? Theres more to iron shafts than swing speed I know but none of my low-handicap friends play anything stiffer than a "stiff"...

For those curious I ordered Jpx 850 forged irons.

Overreaction? Or should I be genuinely concerned?

Thanks in advance,

-xcv
Posted:
Tagged:

Comments

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25058WRX Points: 1,626Posts: 25,058 Titanium Tees
    Yes, you are overreacting - or to be a bit more accurate - you have a bit of tunnel vision going on. Swing speed is only one of several aspect of finding the right flex in a shaft and not always even the dominant aspect. If the Mizuno shaft optimizer picked it out for you than likely you have a fairly aggressive transition which can easily put you into a stiffer flex. However, the real key is the fact that they felt good to you. Pair that with the good results you got during the fitting and it's clear you really don't have anything to worry about with respect to them being too stiff for you.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DTXgolfer12DTXgolfer12 United StatesBanned  3931WRX Points: 2Handicap: +0.5Posts: 3,931 BST Banned
    Yes you're overreacting. If the clubs felt great to you in testing then they are not too stiff for you. If they were too stiff they would have felt heavy, difficult to swing/launch, and boardy. I play the same shaft and I rave about them. I'm sure you will enjoy them.
    Posted:
  • oakhamscratchoakhamscratch Members  50WRX Points: 0Handicap: 4.2Posts: 50
    I was recently fitted for callaway apex's with the KBS C taper x. My average ss with the 6 was roughly 91 and I have a very high ball flight and retain lots of lag in the swing. There are many factors which affect shaft choice and I'm sure the DNA thing is right. Standard KBS tour are a little higher spin and higher flight anyway so I'm sure you will get along fine with them. Also I rely a lot on feel for shaft/head combos and think for me this is more important than results as I am not looking for more distance etc, I hope you get along well with the new irons
    Posted:
    Taylormade M1 460 rogue X
    Callaway Big Bertha 2014 speeder 865 X
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 19 hybrid X
    Titliest AP2 716 DG X100
    Mizuno MP-T5 52-08
    Vokey SM5 58-08
    Scotty circa 62 No.2
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25058WRX Points: 1,626Posts: 25,058 Titanium Tees
    Well - to be fair. The mizuno optimizer is a tool that can be very useful in finding some starting points for shaft fitting. However, never assume it is always right. It does take into consideration more than swing speed (which is good), but there are still things it can not account for so never treat the optimizer results as a fitting in itself or the end result of the fitting - it's just a starting point.
    Posted:
  • TitlemadeTitlemade NavyGonePro Members  255WRX Points: 40Handicap: 4Posts: 255 Greens
    Just swing faster and you won't have to worry anymore. KBS Tour shafts are often described as feeling very active in the tip section through impact. You will be fine if they feel good to you. I find that a club that feels good generates confidence and that's what really matters.
    Posted:
    PING G400 MAX PX HZRDUS YELLOW 6.5
    TM M4 TOUR 3W TENSEI PRO WHITE TX
    TM SIM TI 5W AD DI 7X
    SRIXON Z785 3-PW STEELFIBER i100CW S
    Titleist SM7 50.14F 54.08M 58.12D
    TM SPIDER X or Cameron 2019 T22 Newport 
    TITLEIST AVX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.