2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bandon Question-worth it under these circumstances?

My 16 year old daughter just qualified for the US Women's Amateur in Portland, OR. It will be 36 holes stroke play, then top 64 go to match play.

There's no way for me to know how far she'll advance, but the competition is basically the best in the world in terms of ams, so I'm being realistic. I was thinking that if she gets eliminated, should we take the trip down to Bandon, stay a night(or 2) and play maybe 54 total? It's only about 4 hours from Portland.

Should I bring my sticks or rent? Stay on or off of the resort property? Which courses should we be sure to play, etc.? Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thiis time of the year, getting tee times and lodging at Bandon on short notice might be difficult at best? But if you can, do it! For a full experience, stay on property, must plays, IMO, Bandon, Pacific Dunes, Bandon Trails, Old MacDonald, in that order and take your clubs. If Bandon does not work out, there are plenty of other golf destinations here in Oregon, Central Oregon would be a good choice, about 3 hrs. From PDX. Good luck to you & your daughter in you quests.

[quote name='Cgmorri' timestamp='1437502541' post='11993408']
Thiis time of the year, getting tee times and lodging at Bandon on short notice might be difficult at best? But if you can, do it! For a full experience, stay on property, must plays, IMO, Bandon, Pacific Dunes, Bandon Trails, Old MacDonald, in that order and take your clubs. If Bandon does not work out, there are plenty of other golf destinations here in Oregon, Central Oregon would be a good choice, about 3 hrs. From PDX. Good luck to you & your daughter in you quests.
[/quote]

Thanks! I did call them and was told that as of now, "last minute" tee times and room availability should not be a problem.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Any such thing as last minute deals in terms of price, or tips to keep the tab from getting out of control?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Always take your clubs. They have nice rentals but you will enjoy it more with your equipment.

Green fees are cheaper if you stay on the property but the lodging can get expensive. If they have last minute openings you might be able to get a deal.

I've done it both ways. Staying off property was cheaper overall but the convenience of being right there is almost worth the extra to stay, plus the accommodations are nice.

All the courses are great. If you like to see some trees, play Trails.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Do it. You won't regret it. You'd regret it if you went all the way over there and just turned around and went home.

Playing at Bandon means staying at Bandon. To keep the cost down you should plan on playing 36 holes a day minimum. The replays make playing there more cost efficient vs playing them all one at a time. That's a lot of golf for you and esp your daughter (congrats on US Am!!) but I can assure you both of you will not regret a second of your time at Bandon. It's so different than any other resort, it's really a special place.

To save few bucks carry your own bag and forget the caddie. They are extremely helpful but it is possible to gravy-train off another if they're in your foursome. A little lame but caddie $$ adds up real quick.

It's also a very solid 4-4.5 hour drive, and everyone in Oregon drives the speed limit (I guess they are afraid of tickets), so don't expect to cut much off that trip time (having driven it last October).

It's incredible though, and i would make the trip, especially if you live far away and won't be in the area again soon (the travel is the hard part).

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1437503738' post='11993540']
Any such thing as last minute deals in terms of price, or tips to keep the tab from getting out of control?
[/quote]

Price is the Price-no specials/deals. Only thing you can do is play 36 in a day...the second round is reduced.

Maybe bring your own food and drink will reduce cost of eating at the resort.

But worth every penny.

It's awesome your daughter will play in the US Amateur! You must be so proud.

As for Bandon, I've been going there almost annually since the summer of 2001. As everyone has already said, if you're in the area it's worth going.

I usually go in December, so I don't know of any deals in the peak season. You don't need caddies. Part of the fun is discovering the courses for yourself.

If you stay at the Resort, your greens fees are a bit lower and you can book farther in advance.

Since your kid is bringing her clubs, you should ship yours as well. (The Bandon rental clubs are good, but you don't want your enjoyment affected by strange equipment.)

In your case, you likely won't be able to book really early. But as a twosome you have a decent chance of getting a good tee time at one of the four courses. My preference in order is Pacific, Old Mac, Bandon and the Trails course, but they are all very good. (The Preserve is fun; it's a 13 hole par 3 setup.)

[By way of comparison, I've played most of the private & public courses in Monterey / Carmel, California (except Cypress Point, Monterey Peninsula Shore, and Pasadera), and I like Bandon better.]

Thanks for all of the great responses!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Forgot to mention that we're from NJ, so it's not like Oregon is "just around the corner." Bandon has been on my bucket list for a while now...just never thought I'd end up going with my daughter. All of the positive responses have me amped up for it. I'm definitely going to make this happen!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1437513326' post='11994596']
Forgot to mention that we're from NJ, so it's not like Oregon is "just around the corner." Bandon has been on my bucket list for a while now...just never thought I'd end up going with my daughter. All of the positive responses have me amped up for it. I'm definitely going to make this happen!
[/quote]From Boston went in April with wife best golf experience of my life already trying to plan when I can there next major pita getting but my wife said when we got there this is someplace special. P.S thinking of going in October if my new swing cooperates

This is Bandon's most expensive time of the year, but since you're so close, and it's for your daughter lol I say spend as much time as you can.

Chambers Bay is about a 2.5hr drive north of Portland and looks much better in person than it did on TV. If you're up for another road trip haha

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

[quote name='dan360' timestamp='1437517040' post='11994998']-snip-Chambers Bay is about a 2.5hr drive north of Portland and looks much better in person than it did on TV. If you're up for another road trip haha[/quote]

This is true. I've played it several times and found it to be a hoot.

But for what they charge post-U.S. Open, I'll play 36/day at Bandon instead.

[quote name='Ranchobob' timestamp='1437517424' post='11995034']
[quote name='dan360' timestamp='1437517040' post='11994998']-snip-Chambers Bay is about a 2.5hr drive north of Portland and looks much better in person than it did on TV. If you're up for another road trip haha[/quote]

This is true. I've played it several times and found it to be a hoot.

But for what they charge post-U.S. Open, I'll play 36/day at Bandon instead.
[/quote]

Ain't that the truth....remember when it was less than $60? seems like a century ago.

Just confirming, walking only on all of the Bandon courses, right? My daughter will be fine, but walking 36 will be challenging for me with a knee and a hip that are beginning to make me feel old! I'm sure I can manage, but my butt will be dragging on the replays...

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

If you have a doctor's note you can rent a power cart, but you then must also hire a caddie to drive it.

Bandon Trails is the toughest walk of the four main courses. There is usually a shuttle from the 13th green to the 14th tee.

The other three courses are mostly flat, with a few gentle inclines. If you opt for one of the course pushcarts, players are allowed to take them right across greens. The fairways are very firm, so there's no sinking into the turf even after heavy rains as is the case at some other Pacific Northwest courses.

(I'm in my late 50's with a gimpy knee from basketball, but can easily walk 18 holes at the resort. If I stopped for lunch I can walk another 18, but not likely 36 in one day at the Trails course.)

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1437566103' post='11998220']
Just confirming, walking only on all of the Bandon courses, right? My daughter will be fine, but walking 36 will be challenging for me with a knee and a hip that are beginning to make me feel old! I'm sure I can manage, but my butt will be dragging on the replays...
[/quote]First golf trip I went on that my back didn't hurt after. But a funny story played 36 then drove to Portland after about three hours up we stop at a rest area to go to bathroom I never walked so slow in my life from my legs tightening up from three days of 36 then driving for three hours took me about five minutes to walk it off

[quote name='ryu123' timestamp='1437568799' post='11998452']If you have a doctor's note you can rent a power cart, but you then must also hire a caddie to drive it.

Bandon Trails is the toughest walk of the four main courses. There is usually a shuttle from the 13th green to the 14th tee.
-snip-
)[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about missing out on Trails. It's the dog of the bunch.

*hide*

[quote name='cbbaron' timestamp='1437572046' post='11998768']
[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1437566103' post='11998220']
[/quote]First golf trip I went on that my back didn't hurt after. But a funny story played 36 then drove to Portland after about three hours up we stop at a rest area to go to bathroom I never walked so slow in my life from my legs tightening up from three days of 36 then driving for three hours took me about five minutes to walk it off
[/quote]

Hahaha...that's the way I feel after being in the car for less than an hour. My left hip gets so damned tight I feel like the tin man for the first 7 or 8 steps!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='alfriday' timestamp='1437575758' post='11999174']
What about staying and watching the end of the tournament? Yes Bandon is a great course and would be fun to play and a good experience for you and your daughter, but it might be better in the long run to have your daughter watch (and learn) the rest of the tourney and to get to know some of the other golfers.
[/quote]

Great point! Last year she made it to the USGA Girl's Junior at Forest Highlands in Flagstaff,AZ but didn't make match play. We stayed til the end and watched all of the matches. She's very social and HAD to follow her friends, which was very cool.

In fact, one morning I made her get up real early so we could go see the Grand Canyon. We had breakfast up there and looked out over the GC from a few different vantage points. She said, "it's pretty amazing dad, but can we go back to watch the matches...lol?"

Anyway, the bottom line is that I hope she makes it to match play and progresses as far as possible. If not I think we will have plenty of time to shoot down to Bandon for a 1 night stay, and still have time to watch plenty of golf at the Women’s Am. We're booked for the week regardless of her performance in the championship...

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1437594870' post='12001346']
What about staying and watching the end of the tournament? Yes Bandon is a great course and would be fun to play and a good experience for you and your daughter, but it might be better in the long run to have your daughter watch (and learn) the rest of the tourney and to get to know some of the other golfers.
[/quote]

Great point! Last year she made it to the USGA Girl's Junior at Forest Highlands in Flagstaff,AZ but didn't make match play. We stayed til the end and watched all of the matches. She's very social and HAD to follow her friends, which was very cool.

In fact, one morning I made her get up real early so we could go see the Grand Canyon. We had breakfast up there and looked out over the GC from a few different vantage points. She said, "it's pretty amazing dad, but can we go back to watch the matches...lol?"

Anyway, the bottom line is that I hope she makes it to match play and progresses as far as possible. If not I think we will have plenty of time to shoot down to Bandon for a 1 night stay, and still have time to watch plenty of golf at the Women's Am. We're booked for the week regardless of her performance in the championship...
[/quote]Never have played at Pebble so take this with a grain of salt but Im still in awe of Pacific Dunes

[quote name='Ranchobob' timestamp='1437578628' post='11999514']
[quote name='ryu123' timestamp='1437568799' post='11998452']If you have a doctor's note you can rent a power cart, but you then must also hire a caddie to drive it.

-snip-
)[/quote]

*hide*
[/quote]
Like being the worst looking playmate for the year.

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1437594870' post='12001346']
[/quote]

Anyway, the bottom line is that I hope she makes it to match play and progresses as far as possible. If not I think we will have plenty of time to shoot down to Bandon for a 1 night stay, and still have time to watch plenty of golf at the Women's Am. We're booked for the week regardless of her performance in the championship...
[/quote]
Good luck to your daughter.

If you aren't sure about 36 a day, that's where the caddie can make a difference for a round or two. Check out thewalkinggolfer.com. Pretty accurate descriptions of how tough or easy a course is to walk. Bandon is on there, so you might be able to compare courses you've been on. (I can't remember who on this site suggested walking golfer, or I'd give them the props for it. Sorry!)

[quote name='Edaw68' timestamp='1437598953' post='12001834'][quote name='Ranchobob' timestamp='1437578628' post='11999514']

-snip-
)[/quote]

*hide*
[/quote]
Like being the worst looking playmate for the year.[/quote]

You're not the only one with that opinion, but having played Trails several times over the years, it just doesn't click for me. Always seemed like a course that couldn't decide if it wanted to be woodland or links.

With the coastal space they have there, I just can't excited about playing Trails vs. the other three. IMHO, Old Mac, Bandon and Pacific in that order, but I'm thrilled to play any of them.