2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Courses in Cuba?

I sincerely hope that this thread does not insult any members who may be from Cuba.

It is looking very much like travel to and from Cuba will soon be open again. It is my understanding that there are (well at least were) some incredible resorts on the island back in the day. I could not help but wonder if some of those resorts might have been golf resorts - which begs the question of going to Cuba on a golf outing.

Living here in Florida I would imagine quick trips to Cuba would be sort of like going to the Bahamas regarding cost and convenience.

Anyone who has traveled there; are there courses that are suddenly going to be open to US travel that are worth a visit?

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1439071678' post='12102300']
I sincerely hope that this thread does not insult any members who may be from Cuba.

It is looking very much like travel to and from Cuba will soon be open again. It is my understanding that there are (well at least were) some incredible resorts on the island back in the day. I could not help but wonder if some of those resorts might have been golf resorts - which begs the question of going to Cuba on a golf outing.

Living here in Florida I would imagine quick trips to Cuba would be sort of like going to the Bahamas regarding cost and convenience.

Anyone who has traveled there; are there courses that are suddenly going to be open to US travel that are worth a visit?
[/quote] :WTF:

Currently, from all that I have read, there is only one 18 hole golf course in Cuba, Varadero Golf Club.

It appears that developers are making plans for new resorts and courses, in anticipation of growth of tourism in Cuba.

For now, ther's only one option available for golfers visiting Cuba, until the trade embargo is fully lifted.

[quote name='crazy8golfer' timestamp='1439076395' post='12102620']
[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1439071678' post='12102300']

[/quote] :WTF:
[/quote]

You do realize that there was a time not that long ago that Cuba was more popular than the rest of the Caribbean. Now fast forward about 60 years and we are about to once again open up free trade with them. Like much of the rest of the area it will probably once again become a tourist destination.

Either you are too young to remember, don't follow the news much, are trolling, or some combination therein. Better to actually ask a question if you don't understand.

To those others who actually posted a response I had read in a news story here in Florida that one investment group was looking at revitalizing the country's tourist trade and upgrading the resorts. Could not help but wonder how much of the golf tourism they might go after. Not impossible to imagine they will do OK - look at China now.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

A friend of mine is from Cuba and says that golf there is terrible. He has a very cool photo though of Castro playing golf (putting). He still has family there but was afraid to go back for awhile. He's not sure how "loose" traveling to and from Cuba will become with Obama's new orders, but he doesn't think it's going to be as easy as going to Jamaica, or anything like that.
In fact, I wouldn't doubt if our new found "friendship" with Cuba doesn't survive with the next president, so not sure I would book anything just yet. ;)

[quote name='T-MAC' timestamp='1439081323' post='12102972']
A friend of mine is from Cuba and says that golf there is terrible. He has a very cool photo though of Castro playing golf (putting). He still has family there but was afraid to go back for awhile. He's not sure how "loose" traveling to and from Cuba will become with Obama's new orders, but he doesn't think it's going to be as easy as going to Jamaica, or anything like that.
In fact, I wouldn't doubt if our new found "friendship" with Cuba doesn't survive with the next president, so not sure I would book anything just yet. ;)
[/quote]

The article was actually pretty interesting. Seems the cruise lines are already looking at the potential. Anyone who has ever sailed went right past Cuba - when we sailed to Jamaica we were close enough that I could see buildings clearly with my binoculars. Not sure how many miles offshore we were. Was amazing to look at the land and realize that it was so "tabu" to Americans.

I believe the article was on Cruise Critic by the way. It went into a lot of explanation about the economy there, how far the dollar might go, safe places to explore and eat, and such.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Barracuda' timestamp='1439082134' post='12103034']
The story is that both castro and che played golf. Castro got tired of losing to che, so he closed most courses. Apparently not a great loser.
[/quote]

Noticed you are in Ft. L - we are sailing out of your port next month for a little get away. Never sailed out of there before - usually sail out of Port Canaveral or Miami. Looking forward to a little change. My wife and I love to cruise and are always watching for a new/unique getaway. One cruise line sailing out of Tampa is already starting to advertise future sailing dates to Havana. Kind of expensive right now compared to others being offered - guess it is because of the "newness" of it.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='cod4101' timestamp='1439084875' post='12103246']
Beautifully country. Would have the potential for some great courses. Only thing is is the prices are going to go up when Americans are allowed in... :p
[/quote]

When were you last there? From TV shows it really does look like a beautiful place. I could almost imagine something like a Sandals being built there if things open up a bit.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1439081961' post='12103028']
[/quote]

The article was actually pretty interesting. Seems the cruise lines are already looking at the potential. Anyone who has ever sailed went right past Cuba - when we sailed to Jamaica we were close enough that I could see buildings clearly with my binoculars. Not sure how many miles offshore we were. Was amazing to look at the land and realize that it was so "tabu" to Americans.

I believe the article was on Cruise Critic by the way. It went into a lot of explanation about the economy there, how far the dollar might go, safe places to explore and eat, and such.
[/quote]

I didn't read that article, but I did hear that Cruise lines were going to start heading to Cuba. I think a cruise would probably be the best way to check out the island since you are only heading in to port for a few hours and then leaving. Gives you just enough time to check it out and decide if you would like to go back for a longer period of time.
I thought about going for some cigars but I hear you can only bring back aprx $100 worth of goods.
That's not a lot of Cohiba's. :(

[/quote]Yeah Id be very careful if I had the money to invest in Cuba things could change very quickly

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1439086768' post='12103382']
Beautifully country. Would have the potential for some great courses. Only thing is is the prices are going to go up when Americans are allowed in... :p
[/quote]

When were you last there? From TV shows it really does look like a beautiful place. I could almost imagine something like a Sandals being built there if things open up a bit.
[/quote]

I was their in January. The country suffers from the embargo.

[quote name='cod4101' timestamp='1439091529' post='12103726']
They have lots of resorts, gorgeous beaches. The one thing I hear people complain about the most is the food. But if the USA would lift the embargo that would change. There is no Smirnoff or Captain Morgan's either all Havana club it seems lol.
[/quote]

Will be interesting if the travel doors truly open up; I would wager that their economy will see a HUGE boost in tourism as well as exportation of their sugar and cigars.

Thanks for the info. Definitely going to watch for a cruise headed that way. Ideally a nice cruise to Havana, to Bahamas, to Key West, and back to Tampa. Now I could see me and the Mrs taking advantage of that one. : )

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1439086768' post='12103382']
[/quote]

[/quote]

There was a Sandals in Veraderro Cuba, was there almost 8 years ago but it has since closed. The course in Veraderro is on a great piece on land, there are several holes that border the water and if there is a lot of wind, the holes are very challenging. Course conditions aren't the greatest.