Best Cleveland iron set ever made? Opinions please

Comments

• OrangeGravyOrangeGravy WAMembers Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    Now I'm flirting with the idea of scooping up a set of 588P's or older cleveland blades for dirt cheap and waiting til xmas to treat my self to the newer 588's. If I'm not careful I'll end up with a mostly cleveland bag. I recently reintroduced the original cleveland launcher 3 wood with the gold shaft. It's the best shaft I've played in a fairway so far. I'm not much of a shaft ho though. I have a list I'd like to try,but I'm a cheap SOB!

Off topic, but does anyone know what current shaft has a similar profile to that original launcher gold shaft? Has anyone gamed that launcher driver in that shaft? The profile fits my swing so well. It seems to play stiffer to flex, specially at the tip.
  • towndogtowndog Members Posts: 511
    Ta5's are awesome irons. I've got a set with release shafts put back..they'll be my old man set when I need the help.
  • donaldp83donaldp83 Members Posts: 358 ✭✭

TA1 gun metal

+1

Highly underrated, very **** irons!
    Titleist 983K 9.5*
    V-Steel 15*
    Cleveland Halo 22*
    Adams MB2 4-P
    Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP 54* & Ping Eye 2 BeCu 60*
    Kevin Burns 9314
  • scrumpyscrumpy Members Posts: 602
    TA2 for me. It was my first non SGI iron. I miss them from time to time.
    Titleist 910 D2, Fubuki 9.5*
    Exotics XCG V, Speeder 869, 15*
    Titleist 910H, Diamana Kai'Li, 21*
    Mizuno MP 32 4-P
    Ping Tour Gorge 50*, 54*, 60*
    Rife Barbados, 35"
  • LleftyLlefty Members Posts: 432 ✭✭
    588CB's are about as soft at impact as anything. Almost as forgivinfg as AP2 or MP 53's too. Available for us lefties,I've owned three different sets. Wish I could find another set of CG-16 "P" stamps too.
    Ping G20, Callaway GBB, Epic Subzero, Big Bertha
    TEE 3 Wood Aeroburner 16.5 HL
    TEE 5 Wood/TM TP rescue/TEE 3Hybrid
    Mizuno Hot Metal 4-GW
    Mizuno MP T10 Wedges 52.56.60
    Scotty Cameron
  • OrangeGravyOrangeGravy WAMembers Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    Llefty wrote:

588CB's are about as soft at impact as anything. Almost as forgivinfg as AP2 or MP 53's too. Available for us lefties,I've owned three different sets. Wish I could find another set of CG-16 "P" stamps too.

CG16's look an awful lot like AP2's to me
  • TowerTower Members Posts: 122 ✭✭
    My gunmetal TA5's were awesome. I kept them pristine, I wd40'd them after every round. They looked brand new at 11 years old. I replaced them with a set of CG16's in black pearl. They are also great irons, But the ta5's will always be the best to me. They were in such good shape, I got $180 for them when they sold on eBay.
  • kess13kess13 So I just put the ball in the hole... Members Posts: 1,288 ✭✭
    I've had an all Cleveland bag top to bottom a few times. They honestly make great gear that doesn't get much love so it's cheap. My fav's in order.

Cg16 p stamp

588cb

Cg7 c stamp
    Bio Cell
    F6 baffler
    MP54
    T7/eye2XG Lob
    Mills Ming
  • CDLgolfCDLgolf Members Posts: 834 ✭✭
    I loved the look of the Ta3 form forged but truth be told the Ta7 suited my game better.

I thought the Ta series was their best series of irons.

Combine them with the launcher woods ( the ones with the gold shafts ) and some Cleveland wedges of your choice and you have a great set of clubs .
    Cobra F8
    Ping G25 3 wood
    Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
    Ping i e1 6- uw
    Ping Tour Gorge 56 & 60
    Odyssey
  • Golfer from MOGolfer from MO Members Posts: 986 ✭✭
    TA3 gunnys - loved these and won my college matches with a lefty x100 set.....ahh the memories. Had 4 sets over time TRULY loved these
  • Joe85Joe85 Members Posts: 3,846 ✭✭
    edited Mar 19, 2017 #42
    Does aynone know anything about these? Cleveland Tour Action, 588P. I just got them @$;2.99/club at Goodwill, 5 through pitching wedge

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:3790770]
    Titleist 983E 8.5*
    Sonartec SS03 14*
    Ping i3 17* Titleist 585h 21, 24*
    MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 5-PW
    Solus 51,56,61
    Seemore Si4
    WITB Link
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Play Golf With Him The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,681 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 19, 2017 #43
    CG1 Tour Micro Milled MB or split set

If we're taking orders, black pearl, lol

The 588's are as sweet as any modern blade out there-

Have a great week😎

My Best,

RP
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • dikaia22dikaia22 Treat Yo'Self! Members Posts: 996 ✭✭
    OG TA3's would be that club for me.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Kyle[/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Taylor Made Tour Issue 2017 M2, 8.5*, Matrix Black Tie 70M4X
    Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
    Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
    Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
    Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
    Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S[/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist Prov1x[/font]
  • pakpak Members Posts: 133 ✭✭
    1st generation TA3's were probably my favorite irons I've ever owned. Traded for GM TA5's but too much offset, especially in the lower irons.
  • pgetzenpgetzen Members Posts: 200 ✭✭
    Another vote for TA7s. Had both the steel and gunmetal versions. Very forgiving clubs, almost point and shoot.
    King Cobra LTD Driver
    Tour Edge Exotics CB2 3 Wood
    Tour Edge Exotics CB2 19 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
    Mizuno MP T5 54, 60
    Seemore Nashville Z3C
  • CaddykevCaddykev Members Posts: 428 ✭✭
    I loved the TA-2, just hated how fast the faces wore out. Knocked my i3 blades out of my bag for a season then started to lose their chrome and were out.
  • KaBoom21KaBoom21 Members Posts: 1,573 ✭✭
    TA5, obviously.
  • mx6262mx6262 Members Posts: 611
    Joe85 wrote:

Does aynone know anything about these? Cleveland Tour Action, 588P. I just got them @$;2.99/club at Goodwill, 5 through pitching wedge
    Joe85 wrote:

These were my first set of cleveland irons got them new 20 + years ago loved them. Playing the CBS 588 for the last 5 years ...going to upgrade to the 765 or the 565 srixon irons..under rated irons...IMHO
  • Jaygolf37Jaygolf37 All Go. No Quit. Members Posts: 644 ✭✭
    edited Mar 19, 2017 #50
    The TA-7 Tours (one with less offset). I had my only hole in 1 with them. And I'm an idiot for trading them off...
    LTD Black w/ Rogue
    BioCell 3W w/ Aldila Tour Green ATX65
    F9 Speedback 3 Hybrid w/ Atmos
    PING i25’s w/ PX Rifles
     Callaway Wedges
    Taylormade Black Spider Tour or Odyssey Black Tour Design #4
    <a href="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/939707-coachs-witb/" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a>
  • rainkingjrrainkingjr Members Posts: 2,577 ✭✭
    Old thread, but I'll weigh in anyway. For me it was hands down the 588 forged CB's from a couple of years ago. I tried the blades as well ,but preferred the full cavity set. Endo forged and in my opinion, they still stack up to everything out today.
  • theshadow1971theshadow1971 Shadow Members Posts: 439
    CG Black Forged Irons
    Srixon (asian specs)

Z545 10.5* Driver
    Z F45 15* 3W
    Z H45 19* 3 Hybrid
    Z745 3-PW

Z745 [email protected]* & [email protected]*

Cleveland Classic HB 2 Black Pearl Putter
    Bridgestone B330RXS
  • GolfNuts4GolfNuts4 Members Posts: 720 ✭✭
    dog flog wrote:

TA5 - The first set I bought for myself and my first time in a simulator. Most importantly, the first set that fit like an old shoe right out of the box. Without fear of hyperbole, I'd say I went from hacker to golfer with that set. We made that journey together and became as close as Phil and Bones over the years. It's true for me, I'll never forget my first great fit.
    Me as well, TA-5 in Gunmetal. I still would play them if I had them. It fit my game perfect and I threw up some of my better shots/scores. They fit perfect for me.....sure miss them. Wish more manufacturers' would come out with gunmetal irons.
    Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
    Callaway Big Bertha (2004) 5 wood
    Ping G30 4 Hybrid
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Irons 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey Wedges 56/60
    Scotty Cameron Monterey
  • LundieJTLundieJT Members Posts: 128 ✭✭
    CG2's were money.
  • rkinsm03rkinsm03 Members Posts: 5
    My CG2's are still money, but my brother talked me into keeping a full bag in North Carolina at his house, so a new-to-me-never-played set of 588 MB/CB combos now live at home . . . 5 irons for comparison.

I'm unsurprised at the significant similarities between these two designs. The 588 is only slightly smaller in a couple of areas, but ultimately a forged and improved version of the awesome cast CG2. Looking forward to many years of enjoyment here.

• ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,220 ✭✭

CG16 Tour issue. Feel is superb

It was this one or my X20 Tours, which narrowly won out.

A close second was the 588 MT irons, but I decided to reshaft the X20 Tours instead.
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • Sir edward of putternutSir edward of putternut DARTH SMUG Members Posts: 1,365 ✭✭
    588s. If i wasnt such a stupid **** theyd be all i game. God i hate myself
    Mizuno mp-5(px 5.5, 4-pw)
    Adams Pro 19'
    Hogan 51,55
    Callaway 60 pm grind
    Byron Morgan 007
    Callaway EpicSZ 9.0
    Mizuno JPX 900 3w

• DixieDDixieD Members Posts: 158
    588 CB or MB. Absolute perfection.
  • soflasofla Members Posts: 1,654 ✭✭
    For us mid handicappers - TA7
    Ping G400 LST
    Callaway Rogue 3w
    Exotics CB5 18
    Callaway Rogue Hybrid 21
    Srixon 585 5-7, 785 8-aw
    Callaway MD3 54 & PM Grind '19 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 38
  • llamontllamont Members Posts: 1,823 ✭✭
    I've been a Cleveland fan-golfer for a number of years. Personally, I've always felt that their irons, woods, and putters were severely underrated in comparisons to their wedges as that is what really put them on the map way back when... I've hit irons from the TA1/TA3/TA5/TA7 and the various CG lines. The TA5s and TA7s were about automatic as a club could be without factoring in swing variables. In recent years have gamed their 588MT irons, the 588CB, and an old set of CG1 CMM blades. They all perform depending on what you are looking for. I actually prefer the CG1 CMM irons over the 588 CBs but my preference is almost negligible as both sets provide plenty of feedback and feel great.
    I love golf
  • jholzjholz Members Posts: 1,354 ✭✭
    So many great Cleveland irons. Always dirt cheap on the resale market. The best Cleveland irons have always been as good (if not better) than the other OEM's. They just don't get any street cred.

Loved the TA2/CG2's. Great players cavity backs.

Been playing the CG7 Tours for about six years and can't find any reason to switch. As good as anything out there IMHO.

If I had the funds, I would love to get some CG7 Tour Concepts, the CG16 P Stamps, or the 588 TC's. Such great players irons.
    Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize