Golf Watches

Okay, I'm just interested in buying a golf watch. My Dad recommended a Garmin Approach S1. It is on sale at the moment at £79. I've looked at the Microsoft Band. And some of the Android Watches. I think the Huawei looks stylish but it won't go on sale until the winter. And I think it's a huge advantage to have built in GPS. Otherwise the watch has to be paired up to the phone.

Currently only the Sony Smartwatch 3 has that. Although the 2nd Gen Motorola 360 will be available soon.

I have just noticed there are several featured golf course apps here: (including Hole19, Golfshot and others https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3000cf4_android_wear_all?hl=en_GB

I use an HTC One phone. So I'm not interested in the iPhone/Apple Watch stuff.

What are people's experiences of these watches and apps?
Tagged:

Comments

• UnteachableUnteachable North MississippiBST Volunteer Mods Posts: 1,050 ✭✭
    check out the gps sub forum under the equipment section
  • ronnbeeronnbee Posts: 1,076 ✭✭
    I have the bushel neo watch, like a lot
  • TheJimFosterTheJimFoster Members Posts: 4
    Can a mod please put this post in the GPS/Range Finders/Mobile Apps sub forum please.
  • DeepforkDeepfork Go Pokes! Posts: 171 ✭✭
    Geez, lighten up Topic ****! I think this actually can apply to golf style and accessories.
  • fcmfcm Members Posts: 52
    ​I bought the Garmin s3 watch refurbished...from Garmin factory outlet....and I am happy with it......it tells you how far you hit the ball.....keeps your score....plus other features.....
  • golfbuddygolfbuddy Posts: 225 ✭✭

Okay, I'm just interested in buying a golf watch. My Dad recommended a Garmin Approach S1. It is on sale at the moment at £79. I've looked at the Microsoft Band. And some of the Android Watches. I think the Huawei looks stylish but it won't go on sale until the winter. And I think it's a huge advantage to have built in GPS. Otherwise the watch has to be paired up to the phone.

Currently only the Sony Smartwatch 3 has that. Although the 2nd Gen Motorola 360 will be available soon.

I have just noticed there are several featured golf course apps here: (including Hole19, Golfshot and others https://play.google....ar_all?hl=en_GB

I use an HTC One phone. So I'm not interested in the iPhone/Apple Watch stuff.

What are people's experiences of these watches and apps?

I got the Garmin S1 when it first came out and enjoyed it ever since. Basic info furnished and that's all I wanted. After four years, the battery is getting a tad weak so will replace the battery in the near future.
  • Boricua GolfBoricua Golf Members Posts: 3,380 ✭✭
    I have GolfPadGPS and it synchs with my Samsung Gear S, it is awesome...
    Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Tour 65X, tipped 1", 44.25"
    Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
    Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
    Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour 32.75", built up Pingman Grip (Ping Oslo and Ping Nome TR as backup 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0)
    2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X
  • kvarilekkvarilek Members Posts: 79 ✭✭
    I have a Bushnell Neo X that I have loved but after 1 1/2 years the battery is dying out on me. Yesterday I had fully charged it prior to my round and it died by hole 8. I'm not sure if others have had that experience but it is slightly disappointing.
    Cobra Biocell Driver
    Callaway 3 Wood
    Cobra Amp Cell 3/4 Hybrid
    Bridgestone J40 DPC
    Cleveland 50,54,58 degree wedge
    Bettinardi SS7 Putter
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,108 ✭✭
    edited Oct 30, 2015 #10
    kvarilek wrote:

I have a Bushnell Neo X that I have loved but after 1 1/2 years the battery is dying out on me. Yesterday I had fully charged it prior to my round and it died by hole 8. I'm not sure if others have had that experience but it is slightly disappointing.

Try cleaning the contacts of the watch with a nylon brush (it came with one or use an old toothbrush). You may even have to wash the back of the watch with soap and water since sweat and skin can build up on the contacts and interfere with charging. Also try a different charging source.

Also make sure you charge it fully the day you play or within a couple days before you play, not weeks or months before you play.

Mine is close to 2.5 years old and I still can let it run continuously in golf mode for 10.75 hours. When it was new I'd get more like 11.5 hours.

If the above fails for you then I'd contact Bushnell customer service as they are pretty good. They also say this on their website "Under the vast majority of circumstances, the batteries used in our GPS Watches will provide years of trouble free use, and will not need to be changed. The warranty on the GPS watch will be void if the consumer tries to change the battery. If you feel that your battery is going bad, please contact Bushnell Customer Service at [email protected]"
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 11,546 mod
    I have had the S1 for a while now and absolutely love it. I've gotten used to having FMB yardages and the watch is extremely quick.

The only thing I would update for is if they upgrade the watches that have the course maps on them to actual overhead shots - like the UproMX had.
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95 s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Cure CX2 35" / TM TP5
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,296 ✭✭
    I have a Bushnell Neo X watch that works fine. It has been replaced by the Neo XS model. I went with the Bushnell because the battery life seemed better than other watches.
  • matchavezmatchavez Members Posts: 4,075 ✭✭
    If you have any inclination to get a smart watch, do that and get a golf app for it.
  • ShamblesShambles Members Posts: 3,548 ✭✭
    I have the Bushnell Neo X and only now realize I've had it for about four years, leaving it running the whole time. My only problem with the watch is that I tend to forget it and sometimes have it on in the shower. The one time I ran out of battery was when I played course after course for four days while purposely neglecting to recharge it so I could see how many rounds it could handle. Useless information as recharging is so very easy, but I managed 4 and it failed on the fifth.

It's still running well and I see no reason to look for a replacement.

Shambles
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,296 ✭✭
    Shambles wrote:

I have the Bushnell Neo X and only now realize I've had it for about four years, leaving it running the whole time. My only problem with the watch is that I tend to forget it and sometimes have it on in the shower. The one time I ran out of battery was when I played course after course for four days while purposely neglecting to recharge it so I could see how many rounds it could handle. Useless information as recharging is so very easy, but I managed 4 and it failed on the fifth.

It's still running well and I see no reason to look for a replacement.

Shambles

As I stated earlier excellent battery life is why I got the Bushnell. I can go away for weekend golf outings and have no need to bring the charger since its not needed. I am amused when read in this forum about people with other brands that have trouble just finishing a single round.
  • psapitch13psapitch13 Members Posts: 376 ✭✭
    S1 is great for basic Info, I am thinking for $129 on BF might be worthwhile to upgrade to the S2.
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck Posts: 298 ✭✭
    Sony SmartWatch 3 is useless for golf. Although it has built-in GPS, when used for golf (I used the Hole19 app) it requires that one also carry the smartphone on which the main app is loaded. And then the battery lasts for only about 9 holes.
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Members Posts: 1,104 ✭✭
    I have the Garmin S2 and I think it's great. Lightweight and you barely know it's there. It gives you the necessary information from anywhere on the golf course. Once it finds the course, which takes a minutes or less and "locates satellites" it will tell the yardage to the front middle and back of any hole on the course instantly. It doesn't have a green layout though. It includes distance to doglegs as well.
    Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
  • a_gorillaa_gorilla Posts: 285 ✭✭
    I use the GolfBuddy WT5 watch. I like that there's a dynamic green view, and you can place where the pin is to get better yardages. It also recalculates based on angle of approach to the green, and lists distances to the front of hazards and to clear them.
    Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*
    3w: Callaway Epic SZ 13.5*
    5w: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* / 3i: Titleist 716 T-MB
    4-PW: Callaway Apex '14
    50*/54*: Cleveland RTX 3 V-MG
    60*: Vokey SM7 D Grind
    Odyssey O-Works 1W
    TP5x
  • CactusGolfCactusGolf ClubWRX Posts: 1,808
    AmazinBlue wrote:

I have the Garmin S2 and I think it's great. Lightweight and you barely know it's there. It gives you the necessary information from anywhere on the golf course. Once it finds the course, which takes a minutes or less and "locates satellites" it will tell the yardage to the front middle and back of any hole on the course instantly. It doesn't have a green layout though. It includes distance to doglegs as well.
    I agree with the S2. Even better because it is on sale just about anywhere now for around $160 (TGW).

You might also want to take a look at the S20. Provides distances to hazards in addition to F/M/B. I have my first round with it this weekend after several years with the S2. S20 was $199.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 65
    Taylormade M2 15* Matrix Black Tie 6M4
    Taylormade M2 18* Matrix Black Tie 6M4
    Taylormade PSi 4-PW KBS Tour
    Callaway MD3 50*/54*/58*
    Nike Method Origin B2-01
    Callaway Chrome Soft
    WITB Link
  • GTA SOLGTA SOL Members Posts: 545 ✭✭
    Steer clear of Golf Buddy - I have the WT5 and find the yardages pretty poor on my home course, and that's after I got Golf Buddy re-map it. Would not get another Golf Buddy product.
    Ping G400 Max 10.5 degree (Ping Tour 65 R)
    Titleist 913 FD 15 degree (Diamana S+ stiff)
    Mizuno JPX EZ 19 & 22 degree Hybrid (Stock stiff)
    Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-PW (NSPro1150 S)
    Cleveland 588 RTX - 50, 55, 60 (DG S400)
    Custom Lajosi JJ501
  • Nick081974Nick081974 Members Posts: 527 ✭✭
    I have the Approach S4 and my biggest complaint is that it does't tell you distances to hazards like cheaper alternatives do, pretty sad really.
    - Taylormade M2 9.5
    - Taylormade M2 3W
    - Taylormade M2 3h
    - Taylormade M2 4-PW
    - Vokey SM6 50*, 56*, & 60*
    - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    - TM Tour Preferred X
  • CactusGolfCactusGolf ClubWRX Posts: 1,808
    Nick081974 wrote:

I have the Approach S4 and my biggest complaint is that it does't tell you distances to hazards like cheaper alternatives do, pretty sad really.
    The S20 does, to bunkers at least. I haven't tried it with any water hazards yet.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 65
    Taylormade M2 15* Matrix Black Tie 6M4
    Taylormade M2 18* Matrix Black Tie 6M4
    Taylormade PSi 4-PW KBS Tour
    Callaway MD3 50*/54*/58*
    Nike Method Origin B2-01
    Callaway Chrome Soft
    WITB Link
  • Nick081974Nick081974 Members Posts: 527 ✭✭
    That's a reason that I have been eyeing the S20. Thanks Cactus!
    - Taylormade M2 9.5
    - Taylormade M2 3W
    - Taylormade M2 3h
    - Taylormade M2 4-PW
    - Vokey SM6 50*, 56*, & 60*
    - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    - TM Tour Preferred X