Tin Cup movie

Comments

• RuddyRuddy Members Posts: 543
    edited Sep 10, 2015 #32
    After watching these films ad nauseum on the Golf Channel, I finally bought Caddyshack, Happy Gilmore and Tin Cup. Now when the GC starts one, I put in my DVD and watch commercial - free. All have great lines. I love when Roy says, "Look, Doc, i just hit driver off the carpet here..."
    Driver: TaylorMade M1 9.5* Fujikura Pro60 S
    4W: Cobra BioCell+ 16* Project X 6.0
    Hybrids: Cobra T-Rail Baffler 19*, 22* Tour AD S
    Irons: Mizuno MP-54 5i-PW, Shafts: XP105 R300
    Wedges: Titleist SM5 50*,56*, 60*
    Putter: Oddessey Tank Versa #7
  • purdypurdy Members Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    The scene that drives me nuts is when he bets McCord he can get it on the green by bouncing off the port a potty, but it doesn't t get on the green, just the fringe, but they act like it did. Could they not get that right?
  • DentDent Members Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Love this movie. The end scene makes me cringe cause I'm the layup player. Every time I watch I keep thinking he's just going to go drop and save par and win the open.
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Dent wrote:

Love this movie. The end scene makes me cringe cause I'm the layup player. Every time I watch I keep thinking he's just going to go drop and save par and win the open.

Based on a real life hole played by McCord.

Gary scored a 16.

Kostner scored a 12.
  • adam667220adam667220 Members Posts: 867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would obviously never shoot par, but I DO still want to play the back nine with a 7 iron, just to see what happens.

Played a par 5 with only a pitching wedge once and got a kick out of it.
    BC+ Driver 10.5°
    BC+ 5 wood 16°
    Adam Idea Super XTD hybrid 21°
    Callaway X2 Hot Irons 5-AW
    52°,56°, 60° wedges
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2cs
  • LittleLeftToRightLittleLeftToRight Turn that frown upside down! Members Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I get a little full of myself, or my expectations run high and I miss, I say to myself the line that Cheech says to Kostner after his first round in the Open,

"Well, you humble now Holmes."

I find I say that to myself far too often.
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX Posts: 3,259 ClubWRX
    shooting chili peppers up Lee Janzen's a**. LOL love that scene..
    Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-pw
    Mizuno T7 50/55/60 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched Dead Solid Perfect yesterday for the first time. Easy to find on the web.

It had been a while since I read the book

Very enjoyable and some great one liners. RQ was good in it
    Ping G410 LST 11.5* Aldila Nasty Long 60x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* X-Torsion Cu 60s
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • TheGeekGolferTheGeekGolfer Just beat the Huskies! Go Cougs! Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, so to hijack a bit. Has anyone seen, 'The Squeeze'? They ran it 5 times or more in a couple of weeks on GC. I recorded it two times. Each time I went to watch it, it was not the movie, but a different show. GC screwed up their programming. Never did get to watch it. Is it worth it?
  • golfdad907golfdad907 Play fast, have fun Members Posts: 3,101
    cardoustie wrote:

I watched Dead Solid Perfect yesterday for the first time. Easy to find on the web.

Dead Solid Perfect is genius...supposed to be based on Ray Floyd, if I recall correctly. Wish could find on DVD
    2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
    RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
    RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
    XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
    Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
    Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
    X Forged C Grind 52*
    PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
    Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
    Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year
  • blink3665blink3665 #TwistFaceExperience Members Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt J wrote:

Has anyone ever noticed that Mcavoy tells sims that he missed a 3 footer on 18 for an 81 but later they reference him being able to save par despite going in the hazard on 18 all four days?

I did notice that too. And the "I missed a putt on 18" is an old stock line often attributed to Arnie I think.

That's my least favorite thing about Tin Cup, all the cliches from decades of golf banter that made it into the dialogue.

How about ONLY three golf movies: Caddyshack, Happy Gilmour, and Tin Cup.

Get ready, I'm sure they'll be on steady rotation during the silly season.

I'm not saying this is a top movie, but GC certainly puts it in the silly season rota NONSTOP. The Greatest Game Ever Played.
    Srixon z785 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65 / / Taylormade M4 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65
    Taylormade M3 HL MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
    Taylormade M4 19* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")
    Taylormade M4 22* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (39.75")
    Srixon 545 - 5-PW - 2* flat - Modus3 120s - Best Grips Classic
    Cleveland CBX 48* +1* loft - -0.75" - 2* flat
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 54* mid, 58* xlow -0.75" - 2* flat // TM Hi Toe 58* 2* flat
    Slighter Proto 1 - #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
    Odyssey OWorks 2ball - 32"
    GolfWRX (Nike Collegiate) bag (White) / Nike HyperAdapt

WITB Link
  • PZeroPZero Members Posts: 11,530 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Russo's acting in this was just horrible. She almost ruins the movie.
    R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport
  • Jack DanielsJack Daniels Members Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    Dent wrote:

Me too! One of these days when I watch I swear he's going to lay up.
  • chippa13chippa13 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    PZero wrote:

Russo's acting in this was just horrible. She almost ruins the movie.

My brother and I agree that it would have been a much better movie without the whole Russo storyline.
  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    "Little gust from the gods cost me."

Find myself saying that on the course a lot.
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • numbersguy54numbersguy54 Members Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    bogeypro wrote:
    shooting chili peppers up Lee Janzen's a**. LOL love that scene..

Hey, there are pro's on the tee. Who hit that?

Love that scene and would often get quoted as we would be warming up on

the range if it wasn't going particularly well

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]George Costanza: "Every instinct I have, in every part of my life, be it something to wear, something to eat...It's all been wrong."[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Jerry Seinfeld: "If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right"[/font]

[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]www.gamegolf.com/player/numbersguy54[/font]
  • goduke7goduke7 Goduke7 Members Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    renee russo does nothing for me. I always think they could have cast someone a bit better.
  • Brad ThorBrad Thor “I felt like I was playing well enough to win this event” Members Posts: 593 ✭✭
    An underwhelming movie with a lame ending, I was looking forward to the movie while it was being made but the movie was about as good as a direct to video production.

Caddyshack rocks.
    “I felt like I was playing well enough to win this event”
    Delusional golfer after missing cut at the 2015 Open Championship
  • bobbydazzlewazzlerbobbydazzlewazzler Members Posts: 231 ✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2015 #50
    Just finished watching the film for a second time after having watched it first about 17 years ago.

I now recall why I left it so long.

Caddy shack and Happy Gilmore eat this piece of s*** for breakfast.
  • L_LL_L Members Posts: 283
    Has Tin Cup never been converted to Blueray? I can only find DVD...
  • jplroperjplroper Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭
    My favorite line " do I have time for a quick bucket" when he's late and hungover at the first tee
  • MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm Members Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but Tin Cup is one bad movie! Poor dialogue, poor golf swings, poor acting.
  • thug the bunnythug the bunny Members Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but Tin Cup is one bad movie! Poor dialogue, poor golf swings, poor acting.

Thank god! I was afraid to post for fear of flaming, but I have always thought it was a B at most. Acting was poor, and Costner's swing was horrid. Tin Cup tried to be a semi-humorous expose of golf and human nature, and failed at both. I really wish GC would stop playing it like 20x per week. At least Caddyshack was set up as a spoof from start to finish and allowed you to enjoy the silliness.
  • Need4spdNeed4spd Members Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    purdy wrote:

The scene that drives me nuts is when he bets McCord he can get it on the green by bouncing off the port a potty, but it doesn't t get on the green, just the fringe, but they act like it did. Could they not get that right?

One of my favorite movies of all time, but I fully agree, that scene drove me nuts too. The ball clearly finished on the fringe.

Thank god! I was afraid to post for fear of flaming, but I have always thought it was a B at most. Acting was poor, and Costner's swing was horrid. Tin Cup tried to be a semi-humorous expose of golf and human nature, and failed at both. I really wish GC would stop playing it like 20x per week. At least Caddyshack was set up as a spoof from start to finish and allowed you to enjoy the silliness.

There's one in every crowd.
    In the Hoofer

TaylorMade M4 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange V2 60TX
    TaylorMade M2 15° Aldila ROGUE Silver 110 M.S.I. 70X
    TaylorMade RSi TP UDI #2 KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95X
    Callaway Apex Pro (19’) 4-PW KBS Tour $-Taper 120 S
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.12F, 54.10S, 58.12D KBS Tour FLT 120 S
    Toulon Design Columbus
    TaylorMade TP5X 
  • thug the bunnythug the bunny Members Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Need4spd wrote:

purdy wrote:

One of my favorite movies of all time, but I fully agree, that scene drove me nuts too. The ball clearly finished on the fringe.

There's one in every crowd.

Count. I believe there is 4. Thanks anyway!
  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    purdy wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that too. There are problems like that in pretty much every golf movie though.

Like how in Happy Gilmore that guy that followed him around and yelled "JACKASS!" in his back swings, but never got ejected. He was BABABOOEY before BABABOOEY was annoying.
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • LittleLeftToRightLittleLeftToRight Turn that frown upside down! Members Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always thought Happy Gilmore is unwatchable. Tin Cup has it's moments, but the continuity errors and production values bother me at times. Caddyshack will forever be king in my book.
  • knockdstiffknockdstiff Members Posts: 1,305 ✭✭
    edited Sep 13, 2015 #59
    I don't understand why hitting a 3 wood 240 or so is a big deal when he can hit a 7 iron 220.

...or how he spins a 3 wood back. Yeah.....
  • Big LBig L Members Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd take Costner's swing over Johnson's.

The original actor they tried to cast for David Simms was Dennis Quaid. He's admitted not taking that part was one of his biggest career regrets.

It's a fun movie and one of Costner's better features (though that's not really saying much)
    Cleveland Launcher HB 9*
    Ping G15 15.5* or Nike Ignite T60 13*
    Cobra F6 Baffler 18*
    Ping G25 23*
    Taylormade Rocketballz 5-AW
    Cleveland CBX 54* & Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 58*
    Odyssey White Hot Mid CS 36*

• deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,768 ClubWRX
    golfdad907 wrote:

cardoustie wrote:

Dead Solid Perfect is genius...supposed to be based on Ray Floyd, if I recall correctly. Wish could find on DVD

Me too, but I don't believe they ever released it on DVD. By far the best golf movie in my opinion
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file