Tin Cup movie

Comments

• ShipwreckShipwreck Members Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    xplyboy wrote:

For those who knows the kingwood courses that the movie was shot on, what are the other holes that they shot in the movie. We know the 18th hole is deerwoods 4 hole, but there were tidbits throughout the tournaments of other holes being played. What were those holes in correlation to the real courses?

I know part of it was filmed at Tubac, AZ (where Simms hits the 7 iron down the road, that's the entrance) and my old boss, Trace Nuttall, was a PGA during the time of the film and they asked him if he could bounce a ball on a wedge. The part of the film where it only shows him bouncing it, but never shows his upper body, was Trace.

Bag as of 14MAY2019
    Driver - Cobra F9 Speedback w/ Evenflow White 76x
    3w - Cobra F8 w/ HZRDS RED 6.5
    Hybrid - Cobra F7 w/ Fuji VTS Silver Stiff
    Irons - Titleist 718 AP2 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 4-9
    Wedges Titleist SM7 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 46/50/54/60
    Putter - Odyssey O-Works #7

• divebreckdivebreck Members Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭
    xplyboy wrote:

For those who knows the kingwood courses that the movie was shot on, what are the other holes that they shot in the movie. We know the 18th hole is deerwoods 4 hole, but there were tidbits throughout the tournaments of other holes being played. What were those holes in correlation to the real courses?

A lot of the movie was shot here in Tubac, Arizona at the Tubac Golf Resort. Driving Range he "owned" was a field east of here. Some of the outdoor bar scenes are the original Otero House which was built in the late 1800's.
  • BSprinkBSprink Members Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    Love this movie! Tim Cup is classic.

A few others to check out:

"Greatest Game ever played"

"Legend of Bagger Vance"
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Members Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    BSprink wrote:

"Legend of Bagger Vance"

Have you ever seen "A Stroke of Genius"? It is a surprisingly good Bobby Jones movie.

Bag as of 14MAY2019
    Driver - Cobra F9 Speedback w/ Evenflow White 76x
    3w - Cobra F8 w/ HZRDS RED 6.5
    Hybrid - Cobra F7 w/ Fuji VTS Silver Stiff
    Irons - Titleist 718 AP2 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 4-9
    Wedges Titleist SM7 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 46/50/54/60
    Putter - Odyssey O-Works #7

• chippa13chippa13 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ohioglfr wrote:

I can only watch Tin Cup so many times. For variety's sake, GC could occasionally throw these in:

A Gentleman's Game (Gary Sinise)

Seven Days in Utopia (Robert Duvall)

Bat 21 (Gene Hackman)

Bat 21 is on the fringes of being a "golfer's movie", I know, but the vets out there would dig it.

The best part about Bat 21 is that the "golf code" they used to get the downed pilot to safety was a true story.

they radioed him, "You're going to play 18 holes and you're going to get in the Swanee and make like Esther Williams and Charlie the Tuna. The round starts on No. 1 at Tucson National." Hambleton initially replied, "What have you been smoking?" But he broke the code. "It took me a half-hour to figure out they were giving me distance and direction," Hambleton explained. "No. 1 at Tucson National is 408 yards running southeast. They wanted me to move southeast 400 yards. The 'course' would lead me to water."
  • BSprinkBSprink Members Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    Shipwreck wrote:

BSprink wrote:

"Legend of Bagger Vance"

Have you ever seen "A Stroke of Genius"? It is a surprisingly good Bobby Jones movie.

Yes.. I own it.. great flick! I totally forgot to add that. My son would watch it over and over again..
  • jpfndrsljpfndrsl Members Posts: 21 ✭✭
    xplyboy wrote:

The movie was also filmed at the Kingwood Forest course on holes 5 & 6. In one scene on hole 5 you can see W. Lake Houston Parkway in the background.
  • avragavrag Members Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Nov 10, 2015 #99

Just finished watching the film for a second time after having watched it first about 17 years ago.

I now recall why I left it so long.

Caddy shack and Happy Gilmore eat this piece of s*** for breakfast.

Caddyshack is a complete disaster. No script, actors running wild without even a hint of directing, and it is not even remotely funny unless you are 14 and stoned. I saw it 20 years ago, before I even started to play golf, because I generally liked Chevy Chase and Bill Murray and I was shocked how bad it was. I decided to watch it again last year, because of all the praise on this forum and I thought that I might have missed something. It turned out that I hadn't. It is simply terrible.

The Caddy with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis is a cinematographic masterpiece compared to Caddyshack.

Tin Cup is quite good, but Kostner is more convincing as a baseball player than he is as a professional golfer.
    I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.
  • SadTromboneSadTrombone . Members Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ohioglfr wrote:

I can only watch Tin Cup so many times. For variety's sake, GC could occasionally throw these in:

A Gentleman's Game (Gary Sinise)

Seven Days in Utopia (Robert Duvall)

Bat 21 (Gene Hackman)

Bat 21 is on the fringes of being a "golfer's movie", I know, but the vets out there would dig it.

Brah.....that has to be the second worst golf movie (behind Caddyshack 2) every produced. Just baaaaad.
  • RuffingItRuffingIt Members Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    avrag wrote:

Tin Cup is quite good, but Kostner is more convincing as a baseball player than he is as a professional golfer.

He did play some college ball which explains that natural pitching motion. Not unlike other actors playing pitcher role. Tom Berenger (Major League), uugghh! Btw, another movie Russo was in.
    Ping G400 LST 8.5˚ (Kuro Kage Silver Tini X)
    Ping G410 3W (Ping Tour stiff)
    Ping G410 3 Crossover (Tensei CK Pro Blue 80)
    Nike VR Pro combo 4-PW (S300)
    Nike Engage 50˚ss, 55˚ss, 60˚ds
    Ping Karsten TR Anser 5 33"

in rotation
    Nike Method Origin B2-01 33" / VR Pro ltd 5 wood (UST Mamiya VTS 85S silver)

• nichhonichho Members Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

250 to carry and a tour stars laying up!!!!

JB Holmes at Torrey Pines earlier this year. Cost him the tournament and me a tidy sum.
    Callaway Rogue UST Recoil 
    Srixon Z H65 2h Myazaki Kaula
    Srixon Z H65 3h Myazaki Kaula
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW TTDG
    Japanese Tour Forged AW
    Japanese Tour Forged SW
    Mizuno T105
  • sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZMembers Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RuffingIt wrote:

avrag wrote:

He did play some college ball which explains that natural pitching motion. Not unlike other actors playing pitcher role. Tom Berenger (Major League), uugghh! Btw, another movie Russo was in.

Tom Berenger didn't play a pitcher, he was the catcher. Chelcie Ross playing Eddie Harris was the non-pitcher. IMDB is your friend.

Driver: TaylorMade R7 425CC 8.5* Grafalloy blue S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• RuffingItRuffingIt Members Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited Nov 18, 2015 #104
    sprcoop wrote:

RuffingIt wrote:

He did play some college ball which explains that natural pitching motion. Not unlike other actors playing pitcher role. Chelcie Ross (Major League), uugghh! Btw, another movie Russo was in.

Tom Berenger didn't play a pitcher, he was the catcher. Chelcie Ross playing Eddie Harris was the non-pitcher. IMDB is your friend.

ya...ummm...ya, thats what i said.

image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Ping G400 LST 8.5˚ (Kuro Kage Silver Tini X)
    Ping G410 3W (Ping Tour stiff)
    Ping G410 3 Crossover (Tensei CK Pro Blue 80)
    Nike VR Pro combo 4-PW (S300)
    Nike Engage 50˚ss, 55˚ss, 60˚ds
    Ping Karsten TR Anser 5 33"

in rotation
    Nike Method Origin B2-01 33" / VR Pro ltd 5 wood (UST Mamiya VTS 85S silver)

• CRiderCRider Members Posts: 428 ✭✭✭✭
    Having family in Crockett I so love this movie. There's a range on 19 near Trinity coming from Houston that was for sale last spring. Trailer by the road. Ill kept field beyond. If my wife weren't with me I would have pulled over and made an offer.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,660 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched it again recently when it was on the golf channel. It's not a fantastic movie, but it's highly watchable. Hard to describe, i mean i wouldn't put it in my top movies or anything, even top sports movies....but i can watch it whenever it's on and not be too bored

I think Costner does a pretty good job in it, the Tin Cup character is interesting
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • RickKimbrellRickKimbrell Weston Lakes, TXMembers Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Payton1020 wrote:

Tin Cup

Caddyshack

Gilmore = 1 hr & 32 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

AMEN!!! I am with you. Figured I was in this boat alone but I see I am not.
  • RickKimbrellRickKimbrell Weston Lakes, TXMembers Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    BSprink wrote:

"Legend of Bagger Vance"

Legend of Bagger Vance is one of my favorite movies. When someone asks me why I love golf, I do my best to quote the lines from the movie where Hardy Greaves tells Juna why he loves golf.
  • SadTromboneSadTrombone . Members Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    sprcoop wrote:

RuffingIt wrote:

avrag wrote:

You put snot...on the ball?

Haven't got an arm like yours, I gotta put anything on it I can find.
  • DevilDogDevilDog Members Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Nov 30, 2015 #110
    No mention of Dead Solid Perfect which had Randy Quaid playing the golfer and Corinne Bohrer as his love interest. It is based on a book by Dan Jenkins who also wrote 'Semi-Tough' about football. Was made for cable TV if you will and had Bohrer do a naked hotel hallway walk. Trying to think of what else she was in and the only thing that comes to mind is Revenge of the Nerds IV; Nerds in Love where she is the bride of Booger.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,768 ClubWRX
    DevilDog wrote:

No mention of Dead Solid Perfect which had Randy Quaid playing the golfer and Corinne Bohrer as his love interest. It is based on a book by Dan Jenkins who also wrote 'Semi-Tough' about football. Was made for cable TV if you will and had Bohrer do a naked hotel hallway walk. Trying to think of what else she was in and the only thing that comes to mind is Revenge of the Nerds IV; Nerds in Love where she is the bride of Booger.

My favorite movie, pretty good book too. Thats where my screen name came from, it's just there's more shank than perfect for me.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • knockdstiffknockdstiff Members Posts: 1,305 ✭✭
    edited Nov 30, 2015 #112
    I'm just gonna come out and say it - I really don't mind 'The Greatest Game Ever Played'.

Yes, it's a Disney-fied cartoony puffball of a film but - FOR ME - it more than makes up for the generic plot with the 'concentration' sequences. They put CGI to good use in the antiquated setting of the film and really nailed a visual representation of what it's like getting into the zone.

Love the sequence where Ouimet walks off the 18th and the groundskeeper just has this confused stare:

'What?'

'You just birdied the last 6 holes'

My dad and I also use 'You're just gonna have to play better' as a common refrain when someone wants shots.

Go ahead - flame on. I deserve it.
  • zonadubzonadub Members Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Nov 30, 2015 #113
    DevilDog wrote:

Thread hijack...

Fell in lust with Corinne Bohrer during the sitcom Free Spirit in the late 80s. It was an I Dream of Jeannie type show, but didn't even last a full season. Then to see all of her in Dead Solid Perfect, wishes came true. Seems like all I have seen her in the last few years are commercials, but she has aged very gracefully.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    How to play golf.
    Hit the ball.
    Find the ball
    Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
    Have fun.
    ...Chuck Hogan
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Has there ever been a serious golf movie worth a **** ?
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip

Have you been able to see Dead Solid Perfect, Lefty?

If not, if you can find a copy it's pretty good (at least in my opinion). Worth watching.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

If not, if you can find a copy it's pretty good (at least in my opinion). Worth watching.

Yes. My statement stands.

3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6

Yes. My statement stands.

Oh, OK. Thought maybe since it's not very mainstream you might not have seen it. It's my favorite......so I have no more recommendations!
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & BurghMembers Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Since it hasn't been mentioned much before. The inspiration for Tin Cup was Chip Beck a la his famous layup on #15 at the Masters when he really, really needed an eagle or birdie - had 236 carry into a wind - Langer led by 3 and had already laid up - Beck did too. But Beck was not Johnson's character that is rumoured to have been modelled after Tom Watson. McCord had the ear of Shelton and it's no surprise that the final was based loosely on McCord 16 he carded while continously going for a green in 2 plus McCord also pulled of the Pelican shot in real life.
  • zonadubzonadub Members Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

I know the knock on it is Glenn Ford's golf swing and splicing real footage in, but Follow the Sun was a good movie.
    How to play golf.
    Hit the ball.
    Find the ball
    Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
    Have fun.
    ...Chuck Hogan
    zonadub wrote:

I know the knock on it is Glenn Ford's golf swing and splicing real footage in, but Follow the Sun was a good movie.

Not realistic enough for my taste . Made Hogan out to be ah shucks kinda guy like Nelson. He wasn't and not saying he was a bad guy but he wasn't that guy.

Hollywood took the book The Greatest Game ever Played and butchered it. The Bobby Jones movie was too apologetic to a complex man. Should of followed the book The Grand Slam closely with more detail to his after career and the founding of Augusta National. But that's me.

3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    edited Dec 1, 2015 #121
    When I said that there hasn't been a serious golf movie worth anything wasn't saying Caddy Shack wasn't funny. It was. Or Tin Cup doesn't have its moments but that movie could of been tennis, boxing, bowling , or just about any sport. What made the movie were the moments with his buddies.

And just because a woman walks naked down a hotel hallway being ogled by Dan Jenkins and us doesn't make it a golf classic.

3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file