Tin Cup movie

Comments

• hef63303hef63303 Members Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    But having the naked lady doesn't hurt it's chances!
  • CK2131CK2131 Banned Posts: 237
    Thomas Crown Affair has been playing on one of the HBO channels pretty much daily for the last few weeks....don't hate that. Has no one commented the ridiculousness that is Mcavoy hitting a 7-iron 240 after catching it "a little off the toe"??
    TM M1 - 10.5*
    Titleist 910F - 15*
    Titleist 910H - 19*
    Titleist 716 CB 4-PW - DG AMT
    Vokey SM5 - 50,54,58
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport
  • sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZMembers Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Dec 2, 2015 #124
    CK2131 wrote:

Thomas Crown Affair has been playing on one of the HBO channels pretty much daily for the last few weeks....don't hate that. Has no one commented the ridiculousness that is Mcavoy hitting a 7-iron 240 after catching it "a little off the toe"??

I thought it was 227 and "Toed it a bit, but it'll do!"

Yep, I'm a fan.

Driver: TaylorMade R7 425CC 8.5* Grafalloy blue S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• thug the bunnythug the bunny Members Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    diabolo wrote:

The last hole scene was filmed at my club, The Deerwood Club, in Kingwood, TX.

The hole is #4 and it's a par 4, not a par 5, as depicted in the movie. As someone mentioned before, there's a plaque in the middle of the fairway, 235 yds out, marking the exact location from which McAvoy attempted his shots. The hole is the most difficult in the course, with a Handicap of 1, and it's one tough ****, even for good players. There's a prevailing wind coming at you, the green is well protected by a large, u-shaped water hazard up front and a bunker to the right, and it also slopes down towards the water. Definitely makes for a tough par depending on pin location and even when laying up, a bogey is the most likely result.

It's always fun to bring guests and have them try the "Tin Cup" shot and fail miserably, LOL. Many a times have I been a witness of it image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />.

Very cool to hear a member's perspective of that hole. Thanks!
  • RWMarshall27RWMarshall27 Members Posts: 105 ✭✭
    "Now take this tee and stick it..... behind your left ear!"
    Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir
    and I never slice
  • SadTromboneSadTrombone . Members Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

"Now take this tee and stick it..... behind your left ear!"

What the **** do you think you look like shootin' them chili peppers up Lee Janzen's a**?
  • HackerVanceHackerVance Members Posts: 1,051
    I think that Tin Cup is good. I like Caddyshack a lot more. I can take or leave Happy Gilmore. One of the best things about Tin Cup is the Texas Tornados song "A Little Bit is Better Than Nada" that is heard over the opening credits.
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think that Tin Cup is good. I like Caddyshack a lot more. I can take or leave Happy Gilmore. One of the best things about Tin Cup is the Texas Tornados song "A Little Bit is Better Than Nada" that is heard over the opening credits.

Nice. Love the Texas Tornadoes (and Waffle House). TIN CUP rates a "10" for about the first 30 minutes. Really well played and authentic. Thn it drops down to about a "6". Still a good flick.
    Titleist 917D2
    Callaway Rogue 4-wood
    Callaway 2018 MB irons
    Callaway MD4 wedges
    NIKE Method Mod 60 putter
  • RuddyRuddy Members Posts: 543
    I like lines in Caddyshack, Tin Cup, Happy Gilmore and Goldfinger. Whenever I hit a small slice that's not too bad, I say in my best Sean Connery Scottish accent, with real pity in my voice: "Ach! You're in the Rrrrough!"
    Driver: TaylorMade M1 9.5* Fujikura Pro60 S
    4W: Cobra BioCell+ 16* Project X 6.0
    Hybrids: Cobra T-Rail Baffler 19*, 22* Tour AD S
    Irons: Mizuno MP-54 5i-PW, Shafts: XP105 R300
    Wedges: Titleist SM5 50*,56*, 60*
    Putter: Oddessey Tank Versa #7
  • RuddyRuddy Members Posts: 543
    Someone asked earlier about "The Squeeze". I liked it. High time somebody made a new golf movie. The ending was a little lame, but there was plenty of golf, and the actor had a real pro's swing. Riverboat was well acted. I'd watch it again. I don't remember any particularly great lines.
    Driver: TaylorMade M1 9.5* Fujikura Pro60 S
    4W: Cobra BioCell+ 16* Project X 6.0
    Hybrids: Cobra T-Rail Baffler 19*, 22* Tour AD S
    Irons: Mizuno MP-54 5i-PW, Shafts: XP105 R300
    Wedges: Titleist SM5 50*,56*, 60*
    Putter: Oddessey Tank Versa #7
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruddy wrote:

Someone asked earlier about "The Squeeze". I liked it. High time somebody made a new golf movie. The ending was a little lame, but there was plenty of golf, and the actor had a real pro's swing. Riverboat was well acted. I'd watch it again. I don't remember any particularly great lines.

The scene is Natalie (Jillian Murray) climbing out of the pool, in her sports bra and short shorts, with the ball in her mouth and preparing to hit her next shot on the cross country competition.

Kid: "What are you doing?"

Natalie: "Playing golf!"

She hits her shot and takes off.

Kid: "I love golf!!"

BT
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
  • EKELLYEKELLY Members Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Dead Solid Perfect
    Most people have never heard of it, the old HBO Classics were great. Hot Dog was a GREAT ski movie......LOL
  • Birddog2Birddog2 Members Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a hard time watching it anymore because of the "gimme another one"... BZ for the naked lady!
    Ping G25 w/Ping Tour 65 R
    Cal XR16 4W w/Speeder Evo 565 R
    Ping G30 22* Hybrid Stock R
    Ping i15 5-U KBS R+
    Ping Glide SS 54* w/KBS Hi-Rev R
    Titleist 58* K Grins w/AWT 2.0 Wedge
    Odyssey Ti Hot #2
    Ruddy wrote:

I like lines in Caddyshack, Tin Cup, Happy Gilmore and Goldfinger. Whenever I hit a small slice that's not too bad, I say in my best Sean Connery Scottish accent, with real pity in my voice: "Ach! You're in the Rrrrough!"

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood, sir. And I never slice.
  • minimal45minimal45 Walking Golfer WisconsinMembers Posts: 1,148 ✭✭
    "Give me the big dog. I said the big dog." "I thought that was the f****** big dog!" My favorite part the exchange between him and his out of shape friend filling in as his caddie.
    Adams hybrid 19*
    Tour Edge ironwood #4
    Nike 8i & Aw
    Pro Edge putter
    Titleist Trusoft
  • Sanders74Sanders74 Members Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Its Pride again Money, Love against Pride..... Its just a character flaw

Love Tin Cup
    Callaway Rogue 9* (love this thing) Hzrdus yellow x flex
    Ping G 15*
    Ping G 19* hybrid
    Vokey SM7 46,50,54,58
    Scotty Cameron Custom shop
    716 AP2's
    Best Ball most recently found. : )
    yall need to lose more AVX!
  • snoilr1snoilr1 Members Posts: 508 ✭✭
    edited Feb 23, 2016 #138
    I love Tin Cup, but one thing that always bothered me... Roy shoots 83 in the first round and 62 in the second. They said the 62 was for a round of -10, meaning it's a par 72 course and leaving him +1 for the tournament, even though they never mention his overall score at the end of the second round.

In the next golf scene, he's walking up to his ball in the fairway at 18 in the 3rd round and is -7 for the tournament. That means he followed up a 62 with a 64... in the US Open... was going for the green in two on the 18th for a chance at a second straight 62... and the announcers aren't even mentioning it.
    Titleist 913 D3
    R7 Steel 16Deg 4W
    RBZ 19.5Deg 3H
    Srixon Z745 5-P
    SM6 50.12F
    SM1 54.14, 58.08
    ProPlatinum mid-slant
  • Greg LundayGreg Lunday Members Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    Cup - "if I had it all to do over again, I still hit that shot"

Romeo - "Man you would bury yourself alive just to prove you could use a shovel"

Cup - "You know WHY I hit that shot again?"

Romeo - "Yeah because it is the only way you can beat David Simms"

Cup - "I hit that shot again because that shot was a defining moment. And when a defining moment comes along, you either the define the moment or the moment defines you. I did not shrink from the challenge I rose to it"

Romeo - "1981, Ft Washington golf club. Ring a bell? Final Round of the Tour Qualifying school"

Cup - "I was playing to win"

Romeo - "You tried to hit that same impossible cut 3 wood into the wind from a hilly lie. 5 in a row out of bounds. Until you finally pulled it off and tapped it in for a crowd pleasing 13. And a 12 would have got you on Tour. Now that was a defining moment, And the definition was sh!t"

Cup - "Greatness courts failure"

Romeo - "You may be right boss, but sometimes par is good enough to win."

That set up the entire last scene of the movie. My favorite quotes in sports.. "Greatness courts failure."
  • damyers10damyers10 Members Posts: 293 ✭✭

I'm just gonna come out and say it - I really don't mind 'The Greatest Game Ever Played'.

Yes, it's a Disney-fied cartoony puffball of a film but - FOR ME - it more than makes up for the generic plot with the 'concentration' sequences. They put CGI to good use in the antiquated setting of the film and really nailed a visual representation of what it's like getting into the zone.

Love the sequence where Ouimet walks off the 18th and the groundskeeper just has this confused stare:

'What?'

'You just birdied the last 6 holes'

My dad and I also use 'You're just gonna have to play better' as a common refrain when someone wants shots.

Go ahead - flame on. I deserve it.

I 2nd this. My brother, dad and I take yearly trips to Myrtle Beach and we drive (about 14 hours). We'd set up the DVD player and watch Tin Cup, Caddyshack, Happy Gilmore, Greatest Game Ever Played and The Legend of Bagger Vance on the way. Greatest Game Ever Played lines always seemed to find their way onto the course..

"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

When I first started playing golf my short game was awful but I could rip a driver pretty well. My brother (who was a college golfer at the time) would always give me a "If he couldn't hit a golf ball a country mile he'd be digging ditches."
  • DonMega884DonMega884 Callawaychrome Members Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love when Big Dude says to Romeo. "I'm gonna call NIS on you midget" lol love that part
  • mfm22mfm22 Members Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tin Cup is a decent Golf Movie ,best parts are the - Cup /Romeo interactions no doubt

Costner was in a pretty good baseball flick - " for the love of the game " I usually will watch either of these when they are on

Using Vince Scully in that movie is Genius , he brings an added dimension , love listening to him

Good mental practice in love of the game - " Clear the mechanism " if you can get that focused in golf !!
    edited May 18, 2016 #143
    For Love of the Game is a phenomenal movie.
  • Your-away!Your-away! Members Posts: 922 ✭✭
    zonadub wrote:

Has there ever been a serious golf movie worth a **** ?

I know the knock on it is Glenn Ford's golf swing and splicing real footage in, but Follow the Sun was a good movie.

oh no no no no no no!!!! terrible movie!!

only good thing about that movie was the very brief swing footage of hogan

the only golf film i have liked is the greatest game one, the rest are terrible
    DRIVER:Taylormade M2 (2016) 9.5* - Diamana 60S
    3 WOOD:Taylormade M2 Tour (2017) 17* HL - Diamana 70 S
    HYBRID:Adams Proto DHY 21* - Steelfiber i95 s
    IRONS 4-PW:Taylormade P770 -KBS Tour S 2.0* flat
    GAP WEDGE:Taylormade R Series Satin 51*(52) - KBS Tour S - 2.5* flat
    WEDGES:Titleist SM6 RAW - 56/60 - S300 - 2.5* Flat
    PUTTER:TaylormadeSpider Tour Red - 34"
    BALL:[font=comic sans ms, cursive]Whichever gets bought for me, or found.[/font]
  • bajadulcebajadulce Members Posts: 168
    The 3 wood spinning backwards 20 feet off the green and into the pond seems a poor choice for Roy's destiny. Seems like the writers could have come up with something more creative and realistic for his demise. Of course this movie was made way prior to the 2013 Friday afternoon ball hitting the 15th pin at Augusta and careening into the water. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Steve H
    Golf, surfing, and sandwiches!
  • JoeyEastCoastJoeyEastCoast Left hand low Members Posts: 157
    What about Golf in the Kingdom? I liked some parts of that.
  • zonadubzonadub Members Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2019 4:02pm #147

@golfdad907 said:
    cardoustie wrote:

I watched Dead Solid Perfect yesterday for the first time. Easy to find on the web.

It had been a while since I read the book

Very enjoyable and some great one liners. RQ was good in it

Dead Solid Perfect is genius...supposed to be based on Ray Floyd, if I recall correctly. Wish could find on DVD

Just watched Dead Solid Perfect again on YouTube. Wasn’t as good as I remember it.

Post edited by zonadub on
    How to play golf.
    Hit the ball.
    Find the ball
    Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
    Have fun.
    ...Chuck Hogan
  • dayvei214dayvei214 Members Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

@Interpol said:
    Thank you, Rene Russo

"just hit the ball Roy!"
    Man I love that movie

• LICCLICC Members Posts: 870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 15, 2019 5:20pm #149

@Big L said:
    I'd take Costner's swing over Johnson's.

The original actor they tried to cast for David Simms was Dennis Quaid. He's admitted not taking that part was one of his biggest career regrets.

It's a fun movie and one of Costner's better features (though that's not really saying much)

I had read they were going to cast Alec Baldwin but went with Johnson because Baldwin had a conflicted schedule. Johnson said he was a 10 handicap before the movie and during filming, some of the pros gave him tips and he got down to a 3.

• huckitchuckithuckitchuckit Members Posts: 74 ✭✭

I related to this movie alot when he has the shanks on the driving range.

• Ski5280Ski5280 Denver, COMembers Posts: 49 ✭✭

@huckitchuckit said:
    I related to this movie alot when he has the shanks on the driving range.

Ha! I Thought the same thing yesterday on the range when a local high school freshman team showed up. I almost took a couple shots in the back from a kid down the line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file