Old Yamaha Irons

pls123pls123 Members Posts: 38
Purchased an old set of Yamaha irons, 3-PW. "Yamaha II Accurace Carbon + Boron." Black graphite shafts, no other markings. I have googled these and cannot find anything on them, not even the year they were released. Look like interesting game improvement clubs, any experience with these?

Tagged:

Comments

• dtmamgdtmamg Members Posts: 670 ✭✭
    mid 1980s I believe
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,813 ✭✭
    If they are from the 1980's, then I wonder why mizuno claimed revolutionary technology when they put boron in the face of their irons last year.

Pretty sweet irons.
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • adizeroadizero Members Posts: 577
    Interested to hear more on these. Good pickup!

Let us know how they perform.

I have always liked the looks of Yamaha forged irons.
    Nike Covert 2.0 10.5*
    Callaway Fusion 13.5*
    KZG Forged II M CB 3-PW Rifle 5.5 +1"
    Cleveland T/A 900 Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
    Ping Anser 35" (2001)
    OGIO Sport "Stinger SKV" bag
    TaylorMade TPx, Callaway Chrome+, Srixon Q-Star Tour
  • pls123pls123 Members Posts: 38
    edited Sep 22, 2015 #5
    adizero wrote:

Interested to hear more on these. Good pickup!

Let us know how they perform.

I have always liked the looks of Yamaha forged irons.

Took them to the range today. I was surprised. I loved the feel and would definitely recommend picking up a used set it you can. I normally play titleist 660 blades and this was a big but nice change.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • OldplayerOldplayer Members Posts: 2,360 ✭✭
    Kingcat990 wrote:

If they are from the 1980's, then I wonder why mizuno claimed revolutionary technology when they put boron in the face of their irons last year.

Pretty sweet irons.

The Boron referred to is to do with the shafts, not the heads.
  • Bimmer1Bimmer1 Members Posts: 2,538 ✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2015 #7
    Yamaha had a lot of cool stuff in the 1980's. So did Yonex and Daiwa. Always wanted that big carbon fiber head driver from Yamaha called "Top Dawg". Still have a set if mint SX-25 forged irons.

Boron reinforced graphite shafts were the thing back then. I believe they tried to get lower torque and durability out of the shaft tip. Early graphite sucked!!!

• dtmamgdtmamg Members Posts: 670 ✭✭
    edited Sep 13, 2015 #8
    Bimmer1 wrote:

Yamaha had a lot of cool stuff in the 1980's. So did Yonex and Daiwa. Always wanted that big carbon fiber head driver from Yamaha called "Top Dawg". Still have a set if mint SX-25 forged irons.

Boron reinforced graphite shafts were the thing back then. I believe they tried to get lower torque and durability out of the shaft tip. Early graphite sucked!!!

lol, this is time capsule thread. I had a set of Brand spanking new YONE ADX Titanium irons, all factory wrapped, 3-SW+A+G, sold for nice chunk change last yr on the bay

though the early/first Mizuno EXSAR Gold graphite was the sh*t..same league as GD Tour AD_DI now haha

also had a set of Yamaha Secret irons which graced its soles big time on the turfs of Torrey Pine, resident green fee was a mere $12 ...ahhh the 80s
  • NollsterNollster ClubWRX Posts: 336 ClubWRX
    Resurrecting an old thread, but I had a set of Yamaha blades back in the 80s that were hollow head -- at least in the long irons. Can't find any info on them and can't remember what model they were. Cut them down for the ex-wife to use and really wish I still had them.
    9.0* Ping G30 Ping Tour (s)
    14.5* Ping G30 GD DI-6 (s)
    18* Adams DHy C-Taper (s) or 17* Titleist 910h ProjectX Tour Issue X-8C4
    4-PW Titleist 712 AP-2 DG300 (s)
    50* Fourteen RM11 DG x100
    54* Fourteen RM12 KBS Hi-Rev
    58* Fourteen RM12 KBS Hi-Rev
    34" Ping Redwood ZB PP-61 grip
    35" Odyssey Versa (Metal X insert) White-Black-White (tour issue)
    WITB Link
  • Bimmer1Bimmer1 Members Posts: 2,538 ✭✭
    Nollster wrote:

Resurrecting an old thread, but I had a set of Yamaha blades back in the 80s that were hollow head -- at least in the long irons. Can't find any info on them and can't remember what model they were. Cut them down for the ex-wife to use and really wish I still had them.

I remember those. I had a few Yamaha golf catalogs from the 1980’s. I cannot remember the model either but in my mind I keep seeing EX-22 for some reason. They were available at the same time to SX-25’s and ST-30’s.
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,352 ✭✭
    Nice find! Good solid castings. Yamaha had some beautiful forgings too. Keep us posted on these guys.
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • NollsterNollster ClubWRX Posts: 336 ClubWRX
    Yamaha EX-22 is it!! Found a pic of the PW on Google which completed the image in my brain! Got the 3-PW + Maxfli staff bag for $15. Can't believe I let them go. image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    9.0* Ping G30 Ping Tour (s)
    14.5* Ping G30 GD DI-6 (s)
    18* Adams DHy C-Taper (s) or 17* Titleist 910h ProjectX Tour Issue X-8C4
    4-PW Titleist 712 AP-2 DG300 (s)
    50* Fourteen RM11 DG x100
    54* Fourteen RM12 KBS Hi-Rev
    58* Fourteen RM12 KBS Hi-Rev
    34" Ping Redwood ZB PP-61 grip
    35" Odyssey Versa (Metal X insert) White-Black-White (tour issue)
    WITB Link
  • tsupotsupo ClubWRX Posts: 1,193 ✭✭
    been gaming my sx25 muscle a bit of late, they are an interesting club, they lose nothing to modern forging BTW...

they are a bit thinner on the top line, and chunkier thru the body.

can really make them sing. a launch HIGH.

re shafted them with modus 120 protos...,, cant see them. Levin the bags soon!

10.5* kamui pro tp07/diamana X 70s ..... 15* prgr egg spoon/roddio tour bee 71x ....18* prgr egg/ diamana stinger 70xx....22* PRGR  speed di...... 3/pw  MASDA mb/NS proto 2g18s..... 52*/56*  TOURSTAGE cu X wedge / NS WV125s......TOURSTAGE x01z balls.