Locker Rooms

2»

Comments

• sabramsabram Members Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    SFPGA25 wrote:

Does anyone have inside pics of Sunningdale Golf Club?

I've played Sunningdale but didn't take photos of the locker room. I have stronger memories of the Walton Heath locker room which had memorabilia and photos from the 1981 Ryder Cup that was played there. If you want to talk "Old School" you should visit the New Zealand G.C. locker room. The lockers are anccient made of wood, not deep enough to place your shoes in flat. They have the members name stenciled on and when the member dies they put a line through his name and stencil on the next member who gets that locker. In the photo below, the center locker was once Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's. The photo is not very good, but through the glare you can see "Sir A Conan Doyle". Besides his great writing he was a keen golfer and a member of a couple clubs in Surrey.

8193341534_3b169579e8_c.jpg

New Zealand Golf Club, Addlestone, Surrey, England

In the States, besides Merion, The Country Club (in Brookline) and Garden CityGolf Club both have very old metal lockers. The Country Club has awesome old memorabilia including from the 1913 YS Open won by Francis Ouimet there. The locker room feels like it is from 1913.
  • Soxfan21Soxfan21 Chicago South SuburbsMembers Posts: 292 ✭✭
    My personal favorite is Whistling Straits, top notch.
    In The Bag:

Epic Sub Zero 65 Gram Fujikura Pro
    Epic Sub Zero 80 Gram Aldila rogue
    816 H1 21 degree Motore Speeder 8.8
    716 AP 2 4-PW TT DG AMT S400
    SM6 50, 54, 58 Wedges
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0
  • nikegolfer1983nikegolfer1983 Members Posts: 2,071 ✭✭
    T-MAC wrote:

The locker rooms in Inverness (Toledo Oh) and Chicago GC are both very cool / old school. I was in the locker room at Latrobe CC and saw Arnold's locker, which was like going back in history.

I was just in the new locker room at Harbour Town (Hilton Head SC) and it was pretty impressive - especially compared to the old Clubhouse. They really did do a great job on their new Clubhouse.

You are correct, the locker room at Inverness is a walk through history, in fact the whole club house is
  • nikegolfer1983nikegolfer1983 Members Posts: 2,071 ✭✭
    Another one would be Cypress Point.. Nothing special but old school, and small… Augustan National would be in the same discussion
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck Members Posts: 395 ✭✭
    Oakmont is great, but Forest Creek is unparalleled. What a terrific experience.

I will say the towels at Oakmont are the absolute best I've ever used!
  • WJLIIIWJLIII Members Posts: 265 ✭✭
    My favorite locker room is Bay Hill, always something fun going on there, great group. Forest Creek in Pinehurst/Southern Pines is the nicest one I have been in.
  • cassel191919cassel191919 Members Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Mob wrote:

Best Old School locker room I have been in goes to Oakmont. The shower feels like a waterfall. Merion would be 2nd, Medinah would be 3rd and Pine Valley would be 4th.

Best modern locker room I have been in goes to Bel Air Country Club. Cherokee Country Club has a really nice locker room; just there in the spring.

Coolest trivia I have for a locker room is that my father-in-law's locker at Merion was used by Bobby Jones and Ben Hogan during the U.S. Opens there.

Those Oakmont showers after 100 degree day with 95% humidity are a life saver
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty Members Posts: 3,485 ✭✭
    Yeah, they are pretty awesome. The shower at Merion is almost identical.
    Epic Flash Subzero with Tensei Pro Orange 60S shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei Pro Orange 60S shaft
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD IZ 75 stiff
    Callaway Rogue 2 and 4 hybrid with GD Tour AD IZ 85 stiff hybrid shaft
    TM P790 5-A with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Callaway Forged 56 degree wedge and PM19 62 degree wedge
    TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe
  • Tim GavrichTim Gavrich Golf Travel Guru Featured Writer Posts: 191 ✭✭
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Men's Locker Room inside the Lodge at Sea Island. The topper is that you can (and should) have lunch and/or a drink or two right in there. Best sweet tea anywhere. Great popcorn, too.

Best shower I've taken in a golf course locker room, though, is probably at Daniel Island near Charleston, SC. It's got those waterfall-simulating showers.

Out in California, Sonoma Golf Club and Mayacama's locker rooms are pretty excellent, too.
    Senior Writer, Golf Advisor

TM M3 10.5* - UST V2
    Srixon Z F65 15* & 19*
    TM V-Steel 21*
    Titleist 710 MB 4-PW
    Cleveland RTX-3 52* and 58*
    Evnroll ER5 (370g)
  • goduke7goduke7 Goduke7 Members Posts: 112
    The locker room inside Bethpage is pretty nice. I doubt most people have seen it. We get a pass to use it when we camp out there. Well worth the money. No one is ever in there. It absolutely rivals most private club's locker rooms, if not nicer if you can believe it.
  • SilverBulletsSilverBullets BMW Members Posts: 5,908 ✭✭
    I may be crazy but locker rooms do absolutely nothing for me. I have been in many, new and old, public and private, world class and common, historical and new... None of them have sparked anything inside of me other than 'oh that's pretty cool'.

Camargo club had pretty cool lockers. Just small, old pine boards. Whistling had a very elegant one. But in the end, for me they are just a place to change, take a dump and put some shoes on. Nothing more than that. I have no interest in watching tv in a room with a bunch of naked dudes walking by. Give me a bar with a view (like all of the bars at Bandon) and I'll take that any day.
    Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Taylormade '16 M2 15*
    Titleist 816h 21*
    Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
    Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop
  • Stensons3WoodStensons3Wood In the Fairway Members Posts: 162
    edited Sep 25, 2015 #43
    Colonial old school

Las Vegas CC is a nice one
  • PThomasPThomas ClubWRX Posts: 776 ClubWRX
    edited Sep 26, 2015 #44
    Garden City Golf Club. Might as well be 100+ years ago.
    2017 M1 460 9.5 - Diamana BF 60X2017
    M2 Tour 15 - Diamana CK Blue 70X
    TM P790 UDI #2
    TM P760 - #4-9 DG TI S400
    Vokey SM6 46.08F, 50.08F, 54.10V, 58.11K DG TI S4100
    TM Spider Putter
  • Gohogs600Gohogs600 Members Posts: 11
    Best locker / men's grille area IMHO opinion of any contemporary / newer club without historical significance (oakmont, cypress, etc) has to be Blessings GC. Since this photo was taken, 4 more tvs have been added above the large center TV, allowing for great Saturday / Sunday sports watching.
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 11,994 mod

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Men's Locker Room inside the Lodge at Sea Island. The topper is that you can (and should) have lunch and/or a drink or two right in there. Best sweet tea anywhere. Great popcorn, too.

My favorite by far. The food is amazing, great service, full bar and really comfy chairs/tables to hang out at if you want to have a beer and watch some golf.

Unfortunately lol the courses and practice facilities are so amazing that in my 4 trips there I've spent as little time in the locker room as possible.

M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Toulon Indy 35" / Chromesoft Truvis
  • HackerDaveHackerDave Members Posts: 1,414 ✭✭
    T-MAC wrote:

The locker rooms in Inverness (Toledo Oh) and Chicago GC are both very cool / old school. I was in the locker room at Latrobe CC and saw Arnold's locker, which was like going back in history.

I was just in the new locker room at Harbour Town (Hilton Head SC) and it was pretty impressive - especially compared to the old Clubhouse. They really did do a great job on their new Clubhouse.

I thought the locker room at Belfair was pretty impressive.
  • SFPGA25SFPGA25 Jayhawk0512 Members Posts: 89
    dcmidnight wrote:

My favorite by far. The food is amazing, great service, full bar and really comfy chairs/tables to hang out at if you want to have a beer and watch some golf.

Unfortunately lol the courses and practice facilities are so amazing that in my 4 trips there I've spent as little time in the locker room as possible.

That is impressive!!!
  • oldpalchampoldpalchamp Members Posts: 1,216 ✭✭
    My favorite would be Olympia Fields, followed closely by Winged Foot. Neither of them are fancy, but they are both really cool in a functional way.
  • vpdvpd Members Posts: 119
    jpt1101 wrote:

I think the coolest locker rooms are the old school ones at older clubs, small, wooden lockers, etc. But what you describe is different. Going by your definition I would say the locker room at Castle Pines was pretty incredible. Lots of room, tables, couches, food, tables for games.
    For me the coolest locker room that I have hung out in is Seminole Golf Club. Nothing I have experienced even comes close to it. It's old world,lots of history. The lockers form the

perimeter of the big room where the bar is located as well as beautifully appointed chairs and sofas for comfortable get togethers. Just amazing.