2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Playing the Same Course All the Time

I play the same course about 99.7% of the time (membership fee includes unlimited green fees, unlimited range balls, and use of all the practice facilities). It is a short course. However, it is LITTERED with hazards. Essentially, you put the ball in the fairway or the ball is either OB or in a hazard. Actually, you can put the ball in the fairway and still end up in a hazard (for example...just a bit too much draw, or fade and if you catch the left center or right center of the fairway on a few holes and good-bye). There is very little rough to speak of. No trees to punch out from. And certainly no other fairways to hit from.

On the one hand I feel like I put myself at a disadvantage since I play the same course all the time, on the other hand, when I do go to another course the fairways seem a mile wide, and if a shot does go a little awry it is usually still playable unlike my course. However, at my course I play the same clubs all the time, unlike other courses where I have to mix it up a little bit. That, and it is nice to see some different scenery from time to time.

What about you folks? Do you find yourself playing a variety of courses, or do you pretty much play the same course all the time?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out here where I live we have 8 courses, so I just rotate between them. I do kinda play one course more than the others, that because of the practice facility. If I lived out stateside I would play as many courses as possible though LOL. That being said, I think any golf is better than no golf so I'm sure your good with your membership! Maybe switch up the tee's at your home course if you get bored :)

I used to play the same golf course all the time much like yourself. I'd mix it up and play the tips, lady tees, etc. Sometimes, I'd keep driver at the house, sometimes it would be nothing but irons (no driver, fairway woods, or hybrids).

Driver: Mizuno ST-X

FW: TaylorMade Sim2 Ti (5 wood)

Hybrid: PXG Proto

Irons: Srixon ZX-5

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 (54* & 58*)

Putter: Cameron Squareback 2

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1443392451' post='12375064']
I play the same course about 99.7% of the time ... it is LITTERED with hazards. Essentially, you put the ball in the fairway or the ball is either OB or in a hazard. Actually, you can put the ball in the fairway and still end up in a hazard (for example...just a bit too much draw, or fade and if you catch the left center or right center of the fairway on a few holes and good-bye).
[/quote]

Does not sound like the type of course at which I would want to play 99.7% of my rounds.

But that's just me.

That's the downside to a private membership i guess. It's nice when the course challenges all aspects of your game without over-penalizing one of them. My course is known as being a tee-shot course in a lot of regards. You can lose a ton of balls. One of the 9's has stakes, OB or water on every hole...another has so many trees that missing the fairway makes it hard to even advance the ball sometimes. It's a real "first shot" course, though some of the greens have their trickiness.

So when i play a course where you can drive it anywhere, i feel like a kid in a candy store

I play probably 80% of my rounds at my home course, my rates are great since i'm <35, so i try to play a few other public courses too

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Actually been playing several courses for years. Next year I'm going to stay closer to home and play only one course unless for a trip or special golf course . My prime is over and the courses around us haven't made any upgrades in years. Settled on the best of some good mediocre golf courses.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

What course Sean?

I play the majority of my rounds at the same course too. It's 5 minutes from my work so I'll go before or after when I can. But I am thinking of joining bags for a reason to get around some more courses next year

[center] Titleist 915D2 8.5* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di6s
Titleist 915F 15* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di7s[/center]
[center] Titleist 915H 21* - Aldila Rogue 85 S
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour S
Titleist Vokey SM5 50*F, 56*S, 60*K - KBS Hi-Rev S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/center]

[center][url="http://invite.golfmat.ch/m/I6G4g3MqEn"]Find me on GolfMatch App.[/url] - TJ O[/center]

I play the vast majority of my rounds at the same course, though we have reciprocity with several of the other courses in town which I make good use of. I never find myself getting bored because I try to challenge myself with different things when I'm not playing a practice round or event/money game. I have challenged myself with 2 or 3 club events, differing tees, mixes of tees, etc. which helps a lot.

Same boat, I paid for the membership and have a hard time opening my wallet to play anywhere else.

I have still played a dozen or so times at other courses as well.

And even though I feel I know all the shots at my home course I still have failed to make them all in the same day so there is still a want there

I'm a member at a local muni and play the majority of my golf there since it's 5 minutes from home. It's an old course (1926 Donald Ross) that can be overpowered if you can hit it fairly deep and there aren't very many hazards. But the old guy knew how to design green complexes that stand the test of time if you miss in the wrong spot. That being said, I will switch up the tees I play or play different clubs off the tees to keep things from getting stale. 1 years green fees only cost $800 and its a very easy walk and I only have to play 44 rounds to break even. I normally play enough to meet that quota in 4-5 months or less. That being said, I still play one of the other local courses every 2-3 weeks.

I think I'd get bored out of my mind playing the same course over and over again. Heck, I play probably 30% of the rounds at the course 5 minutes from my house and often find itching to get out and go somewhere else. Like you said, you basically are playing the same shots/clubs over and over. You know every break of the green...every shot - there isn't the variety of seeing new holes, challenges, shots, etc.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I like playing a lot of different courses. I play the same ones every year but I play a lot of different courses within and 1hr 1/2 drive of where I live. I've played long enough I know where to go and when to go to each course I play. If I play a course in the spring I'll catch it again in the fall. Playing the same course over and over to me isn't much fun and really doesn't show your true cap IMO. I've played with a few of my co workers that play the same course all the time. When I take them to a different course they have always shot higher than their cap. When I go to their course I'll shoot around my cap and they will shoot theirs too.

[quote name='Palauan Hammer' timestamp='1443393461' post='12375114']
Out here where I live we have 8 courses, so I just rotate between them. I do kinda play one course more than the others, that because of the practice facility. If I lived out stateside I would play as many courses as possible though LOL. That being said, I think any golf is better than no golf so I'm sure your good with your membership! Maybe switch up the tee's at your home course if you get bored :)
[/quote]

Nice!

I do switch up the tees. Yellow/yellow, black/black and black/yellow. The course is getting re-rated so I asked them to rate it for men red/red, red/yellow, and red/black. :-)

I forgot to mention it's nine holes.

[quote name='mlp021' timestamp='1443394239' post='12375178']
I used to play the same golf course all the time much like yourself. I'd mix it up and play the tips, lady tees, etc. Sometimes, I'd keep driver at the house, sometimes it would be nothing but irons (no driver, fairway woods, or hybrids).
[/quote]

I do that occasionally.

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1443394314' post='12375190']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1443392451' post='12375064']
I play the same course about 99.7% of the time ... it is LITTERED with hazards. Essentially, you put the ball in the fairway or the ball is either OB or in a hazard. Actually, you can put the ball in the fairway and still end up in a hazard (for example...just a bit too much draw, or fade and if you catch the left center or right center of the fairway on a few holes and good-bye).
[/quote]

Does not sound like the type of course at which I would want to play 99.7% of my rounds.

But that's just me.
[/quote]

We have members who just pay for the practice facilities, and no course privileges. There are those who play the course once and don't come back. :-)

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1443394720' post='12375220']
That's the downside to a private membership i guess. It's nice when the course challenges all aspects of your game without over-penalizing one of them. My course is known as being a tee-shot course in a lot of regards. You can lose a ton of balls. One of the 9's has stakes, OB or water on every hole...another has so many trees that missing the fairway makes it hard to even advance the ball sometimes. It's a real "first shot" course, though some of the greens have their trickiness.

So when i play a course where you can drive it anywhere, i feel like a kid in a candy store

I play probably 80% of my rounds at my home course, my rates are great since i'm <35, so i try to play a few other public courses too
[/quote]

The practice facility is second to none. I think it is rated #1 in New England. And, there is none of that food/drink minimum, and the greens fees are unlimited. So... :-)

[quote name='tjo106' timestamp='1443394875' post='12375230']
What course Sean?

I play the majority of my rounds at the same course too. It's 5 minutes from my work so I'll go before or after when I can. But I am thinking of joining bags for a reason to get around some more courses next year
[/quote]

Harmon Golf in Rockland. Great practice facility. I do a lot of work on my short game there.

Playing the same course all the time, it's much easier to be complacent in one's game, or to get into a 'white whale' mentality. I don't think either one of those are much fun. On the other hand, I used to play the same course all the time. I made lots of friends out there and the staff treated me specially. When the course shut down, I quit playing for nine years, so forget what I just said.

[quote name='MidwestGolfBum' timestamp='1443394989' post='12375242']
I play the vast majority of my rounds at the same course, though we have reciprocity with several of the other courses in town which I make good use of. I never find myself getting bored because I try to challenge myself with different things when I'm not playing a practice round or event/money game. I have challenged myself with 2 or 3 club events, differing tees, mixes of tees, etc. which helps a lot.
[/quote]

I do the latter as well. We have some great tournaments. The great thing about my course is you learn to keep the ball in play, i.e., course management. Depending upon the conditions, and the pin placement, a bogey on a certain hole can be a good score.

[quote name='rcain1us' timestamp='1443395256' post='12375252']
Same boat, I paid for the membership and have a hard time opening my wallet to play anywhere else.

I have still played a dozen or so times at other courses as well.

And even though I feel I know all the shots at my home course I still have failed to make them all in the same day so there is still a want there
[/quote]

Pretty much the same with me.

[quote name='TomMorgan51' timestamp='1443395307' post='12375256']
I'm a member at a local muni and play the majority of my golf there since it's 5 minutes from home. It's an old course (1926 Donald Ross) that can be overpowered if you can hit it fairly deep and there aren't very many hazards. But the old guy knew how to design green complexes that stand the test of time if you miss in the wrong spot. That being said, I will switch up the tees I play or play different clubs off the tees to keep things from getting stale. 1 years green fees only cost $800 and its a very easy walk and I only have to play 44 rounds to break even. I normally play enough to meet that quota in 4-5 months or less. That being said, I still play one of the other local courses every 2-3 weeks.
[/quote]

We have a number of Ross courses up here, and yes his greens are difficult. I like the fact that he allows you to play the ball along the ground as well. That said, none of his courses are easy!

[quote name='mantan' timestamp='1443396284' post='12375330']
I think I'd get bored out of my mind playing the same course over and over again. Heck, I play probably 30% of the rounds at the course 5 minutes from my house and often find itching to get out and go somewhere else. Like you said, you basically are playing the same shots/clubs over and over. You know every break of the green...every shot - there isn't the variety of seeing new holes, challenges, shots, etc.
[/quote]

There is that, however conditions can vary, and pins change. But yes, sometimes it would be nice to have a bit of variety. :-)

[quote name='Greenie' timestamp='1443396289' post='12375332']
I like playing a lot of different courses. I play the same ones every year but I play a lot of different courses within and 1hr 1/2 drive of where I live. I've played long enough I know where to go and when to go to each course I play. If I play a course in the spring I'll catch it again in the fall. Playing the same course over and over to me isn't much fun and really doesn't show your true cap IMO. I've played with a few of my co workers that play the same course all the time. When I take them to a different course they have always shot higher than their cap. When I go to their course I'll shoot around my cap and they will shoot theirs too.
[/quote]

I usually play better at other courses. Usually.

I'm a member at a semi-private par 72 track that tips out at around 7100yds. I play probably 70% of my rounds at this course, mostly from the 6500yd tees but occasionally from the 6000yd tees, especially in the winter. It is wide and doesn't have a lot of OB. Defenses are the greens and undulation of the course (it's hard to get a flat lie). That said, it gets a lot of play and it is not that close to my office making it inconvenient to get that "quick 9" in.

I'm joining my first full private course next month actually and am not going to re-up my membership at the semi-private course at least for next year. The private course I'm joining is much closer to both my office and my home (sitting almost halfway in between my 11 mile commute to work). It's considerably shorter at 5750yds and a par 70. That said, it's pretty, and definitely requires more precision. I figure I'll play greater than 80% of my rounds there for the next year.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

Interesting bc my wife already says, "you're game doesn't travel well." But... As others have said I pay dues to play a course. I feel it is the best and most challenging course in my area. And why would I pay more to play somewhere else?

If you have a good game (I have a couple of weekly money games), and play with good people, and the course is a challenge then I think it's OK.

I've played a little more than 90% of my rounds the last two years on he same course. The odd thing I've found is that I've slowly adapted my bag to the course. I've got specific clubs for certain sets of shots that I know will come up, but it wouldn't occur to me to play those shots anywhere else.

Same here, Sean. Gainesville is terrible with the number of courses... at least "good" courses.

I play at the UF golf course 95% of the time. Public course and always in perfect shape. The only other choices we have is Ironwood which is a beautiful public course with terribly slow greens and fairways consisting of mostly short cut weed type grass, West End which is another public course that has 4/10 conditions and is very short, Haile which is private and GCC which is private. I used to have the hookup at Haile because I was friends with the head pro but he took another job in Tampa so I'm back to UF.

I don't have much of a choice. Gainesville is lacking BIG TIME with a good selection of good condition championship style courses. I'm not driving to Ocala to overpay to play courses over there. I love the UF course but yeah, I get sick and need some new challenges. I'm tired of playing the same clubs. I play the ladies tees sometimes because its drastic enough distance wise to make the course play totally different.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist 716 MB PW-6i / T100 4i-5i Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5