2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ask a Tennis Pro!

wldchld22

I have seen threads like this on other websites so I thought it would be worth a shot.

I have been teaching tennis for over a decade now. In fact next year will make it 15 years.

Every once in a while I get the bug to chat about the sport. Feel free to ask me any questions about tennis, tennis instruction and even how any of it would relate to the game of golf.

I picked up the game of golf late in life. I actually didn't play until I was 23. I found that a lot of things I understood about tennis swing mechanics in the stroke applied to this game. I am not here I'll bring golf instruction for just general Conversation, hopefully this will help some of us get to know each other better because I'm sure there are a lot of great tennis players on here already.

Interesting background.

I started golf as a kid about forty years ago but tennis only about 20... Pretty polar opposites. :)

I see some similarities but the dynamics (imo) are so different as I would be cautious to apply too many cross references myself. However I'm not an instructor of either.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

The questions do not have to how golf relates to tennis. They could just be for golfers asking how to improve their tennis game.

The truth is that a golf shot is most like a slice. It's a descending blow on the ball that creates backspin. Only the driver and putt encourage an ascending blow (I know it isn't possible but a good swing thought). I think this explains why so many of my tennis playing friends seem to have terrific short games.

This just meant more for the WRX'er who plays tennis on the side. Maybe they want to know more about the game. Maybe their child is more of a tennis player and they want to understand how junior programs work and the best ways to find a coach, etc.

[quote name='Hybrid' timestamp='1445076720' post='12468368']
What is with the windshield wiper swing that I see so much in the leagues? People are obsessed with top spin and it gets them killed in doubles. It looks painful.
[/quote]

Hahaha. That's amateurs emulating the pro game for sure.

The goal has been a low to high stroke for many amateurs. So they drill and drill and drill; then get out into a doubles game and struggle. Why? A full length stroke from the baseline is something you'll hit a ton in a singles match but in doubles. Rarely.

I always tell the golfers in my classes that tennis grips are like golf clubs. Golfers get 14 clubs in the bag. Tennis players should do the same by learning the different grips they can use. To be a better server and volleyer you should master the continental grip at the least. You'll see an improvement in other shots like the slice and push volley.

A good way to do this is on your own is to practice dribbling the ball with a continental grip. The easiest way to get this grip is to hold the racquet with your non dominant hand in a position where you can't see the strings. Reach down with your hand like your shaking hands with the grip and this is your continental.

It was a staple of the "old-school" game and it should still be learned at the amateur level where most won't be singles exclusive players.

Wonder how many members on here cringed when you called 23 "late-in-life?" Lol.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1445187051' post='12472760']
Wonder how many members on here cringed when you called 23 "late-in-life?" Lol.
[/quote]

Bwahaha. Sports life is way different

I started tennis late myself. Didn't play until I was 11. At that point I was way behind many juniors who started taking lessons at half that!

Starting early is key in a lot of sports IMO. I started hockey at the same one as my younger brother who was 5 years younger. I was a stronger skater but his puck skills put me to shame!

• 1 year later...

I played tennis in HS, and then took it back up and played a lot about 6 yrs ago, but then stopped again due to too much golf. But since last fall I started playing again. I missed it, it is a great game.

I think one thing that tennis and golf have in common is ball focus - you can't look off the ball until after it is away.

1. How do you find a good racquet?

2. Why do clinics focus on ground strokes and never the serve? It's like having a good short game but you can't score if you keep driving it out of bounds.

3. What should an average player focus on the most when watching pros on tv?

4. What key characteristics does a good tennis instructor have?

5. How do you deal with mind games from the opponent?

Thanks.

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

1. Generally speaking, lighter, larger, thicker beam rackets are more forgiving and provide more power for beginners (sound familiar?). Thinner, smaller, heavier racket give more control for accomplished players who provide their own power. Tennis Warehouse is a good source of information.

2. Ground strokes are where most points are won/lost. If you can just get the serve in the game reverts to ground strokes unless one opponent chooses serve/volley, which is pretty rare these days.

3. Easy, foot movement and getting to the ball. The pros are ridiculously quick.

4. Just like in golf, not pushing any one technique or philosophy, but using the skills and tendencies of the student to their advantage.

5. First, know what they do. If they push the ball, focus on the ball and don't try to kill it, just put it deep with control, preferably to their backhand. If they spin the ball, spin it back. If they smash the ball, run like hell, hold on, and use their own ball speed to put it deep, and a few lobs here and there can give you some time and rest and get in their head.

went out today and hit with my buddy who played at virginia tech. we focused on hitting the ball in front of my body and getting more turn prior to hitting. he is a + handicap golfer.

I'm flying back home from Charlottesville right now. I see all the questions. Definitely going to answer more when I get back!

Contact position in tennis is key! Keeping the ball in front is more important than waiting to complete a "perfect swing"

1. How do you find a good racquet?

I can go for days on this. I'm general most companies make the same styles of racquet. It's a lot like irons in golf; max game improvement, game improvement, forgiving players and blades.

That being said find a place that does demos. Try before you buy. Some guys end up like the putter people on here. Blindly buying stuff until something hits. It can be draining.

My number one tip? Buy a racquet that improves or helps your best shot, serve, volley forehand etc.

2. Why do clinics focus on ground strokes and never the serve? It's like having a good short game but you can't score if you keep driving it out of bounds.

IMO Serves are better practiced on your own or in a private lesson. Clinics mean you're trying to please a group of people and the serve magnifies the difference in progression for many students.

3. What should an average player focus on the most when watching pros on tv?

People say footwork and it's a stock answer. The footwork is a result of preparation.

Don't watch the guy hitting. Watch the person who just hit. More often then not they are moving back to center or guessing where the next show is coming back to so they can move in that direction.

The next part is to watch the shoulder turn and racquet prep. As soon as they know what shot is coming the prep the racquet and shoulders so all they need to do is get to the right spot.

4. What key characteristics does a good tennis instructor have?

a teacher that ends every conversation with something about your game. Different settings can define how casual but I always felt guilty if all I did was talk about their life and how busy their kids schedule was.

Every chat or lesson should leave you with something related to the previous play or lesson. Someone who knows your goals and tailors the lesson or private to that.

5. How do you deal with mind games from the opponent?

Ha. Never figured this out.

Jk

I'll find a link for you but my golf and tennis game improved once I saw an interview roger Federer did.

Basically he said that he was fiery when he started. He got embarrassed by a tirade he had and he told himself he wouldn't get angry anymore.

After that; the rest was history.

Thanks.

had two meniscus tears from tennis..one in each knee..surgery. what can i do to prevent that as i really want to play tennis again. Haven't played for a year and a half.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

• 1 year later...

How good do you suppose a self-taught player can get? I've been playing 1-2 times a week last few months and I think I've become about 3.0 level. I'm now just a decently coordinated, low power pusher who can't quite hit for angles or depth yet, because they tend to sail out. Pretty good court coverage though, and consistent with ground strokes on both sides and volleys are getting better. Thinking about taking a few private lessons but $60-75 per hour seems pretty hefty.

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

• 7 months later...

Find a clay club or courts. Other things you can do to protect the knees are sleeves and really good stretching.

Just my 2 cents but you might be better consulting a physician. What did your current doctor suggest?

> @Man_O_War said:

> had two meniscus tears from tennis..one in each knee..surgery. what can i do to prevent that as i really want to play tennis again. Haven't played for a year and a half.

Similar to golf. There is a ceiling some people hit with natural talent. Growth comes from challenging yourself and maybe lessons are the next step. The key is finding an instructor that aligns with your goals and if that’s what you need to take the next step.

It sounds like you have done pretty comprehensive self analysis. Your next step sounds like taking those ground strokes to the next level. Angles come with more consistent strokes so don’t worry about that. You need to find a pro and I would suggest a game plan where half the lesson is strokes and direction followed by match play.

The you can supplement it with drop ins or just finding someone to play with.

If the club doesn’t offer lesson packages do one or two, but ask about the pros first. Not every pro is keen on playing for half the hour. So find someone who is up for that kind of task.

> @huskydawg said:

> How good do you suppose a self-taught player can get? I've been playing 1-2 times a week last few months and I think I've become about 3.0 level. I'm now just a decently coordinated, low power pusher who can't quite hit for angles or depth yet, because they tend to sail out. Pretty good court coverage though, and consistent with ground strokes on both sides and volleys are getting better. Thinking about taking a few private lessons but $60-75 per hour seems pretty hefty.

> @wldchld22 said:

>

> Find a clay club or courts. Other things you can do to protect the knees are sleeves and really good stretching.

>

> Just my 2 cents but you might be better consulting a physician. What did your current doctor suggest?

>

> > @Man_O_War said:

> > had two meniscus tears from tennis..one in each knee..surgery. what can i do to prevent that as i really want to play tennis again. Haven't played for a year and a half.

>

>

First of all I want to thank you for starting a tennis thread. Long overdue. I'm a former high level player now facing eventual knee replacement after 2 arthroscopic surgeries. Very limited mobility on the court. My son who is a former ATP tour player and now a full time teaching pro told me that clay or HarTrue courts would be **more difficult** for me than hard courts. I know this is counterintuitive but he was absolutely correct. Difference in impact is minimal since only the top players really slide properly on clay, and change of direction is **much harder** when you have to plant and push off your bad leg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

About the same as a non-baseball player getting a hit off of a pitch from someone like Justin Verlander.

Interesting question.

I mean a racquet is large enough where you could maybe tip it or get lucky and block on back. The movement and speed the pros possess are just on another level.

> @vrnyn said:

> What are the chances a non tennis player returns a serve from someone like Raonic?