How do you stay warm golfing in the cold? What is your solution?

easyyy

After 20 years of Michigan golf I have tried it all. I have my winning combination of clothes and heaters. What is yours???

Here is what I use when it gets nasty cold. I mean 38* to 50* wind and no sun. 43* is my over/under but if I have the itch and the sun is out or there is no wind I will play a few degrees under 43*. I used to have a cover for the cart but found it a pain in the a** to get in and out every time. Keeps you warm but PITA.

This is my best colf golf weather solution combo...

11/26/2015 Changes

1. Uber thin long johns under my pants
  2. Sleeveless mock compression top. I will cut the sleeves off of a good top. I love the FootJoy baselayer.
  3. Sweater with the knit sleeves and windproof chest area. Nike and Adidas both started making these last year. Here is a Nike version and an Adidas one here. I like them because there is minimal restriction when I am swinging.
  4. Mobile Warming heated vest. You have to have two batteries at 100%. (Warning I have 2 new batteries that died and if they are post 90 days of purchase or dont have a proof of purchase you are SOL)
  5. Knit hat that covers the ears
  6. 4 to 6 hand warmers. Put 2-3 in each of your front pockets of the gortex top. Keeps your hands warm when you need to and makes an oven in the gortex.
  7. Coleman heater to put in the cart if your not walking.
  8. Gortex Rain top and pants. Wind cant cut it and with the hand warmers in the pockets it is like an oven!!!

------

Footjoy shirt. Cut the sleeves to make it sleeveless

Sweater with wind stopping chest area (Adidas and then Nike version)

Coleman heater to put in the cart if your not walking

Hand warmers

Wrx Hat

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a fan of the adidas fall weight pants and the UA cold gear pants.

The UA ones are great when it is super cold. The adidas ones are great around 50 degrees. They both do a nice job blocking/cutting the wind.

The other thing: Walk. It helps so much. I can't get warm or loose on a cold day on a cart.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

I consider it cold when it is in the 30s (or 40s and windy):

I wear flannel lined trousers. They make a big difference. I also wear a Primaloft jacket, that way I don't have to wear multiple layers. It is very warm, very light, windproof, with a full range of motion. One layer, plus the jacket. I see golfers wearing multiple layers. Looks uncomfortable. Also a wool cap. The pockets of the jacket are nice and warm. Good place to put the hands between shots.

ps: I think one of the misconceptions about clothes is that they have to be golf specific. My Primaloft jacket is essentially a hiking/outdoors activity jacket that you would never find in any golf store. In addition, a golfer's rain pants don't have to be golf specific either. I picked up a pair of waterproof pants a few years ago at EMS for a song, and they are absolutely water proof. Same with flannel lined trousers. They work great and you don't have to mess around with long johns.

Flannel lined pants, wool socks, wool sweater,light base layer with some neck coverage,sunglasses so my eyes don't water, windbreaker, either stocking hat or golf hat and those wrap around ear muffs, and walk with a push cart so I don't have to carry all that stuff as I peel it off.

Wow. That's a lot of layers. My walking set up below:
Coldgear base layer.
Mizuno Windlite if really cold - <40*
Zero Restriction Windstopper pullover otherwise.
Mizuno winter gloves.
Beanie hat
Corduroy pants
Thermal Longjohns.
I agree with Sean and there are a lot of Marmot and Mountain Hardwear stuff that can be used for golf. The Marmot Driclime Windshirt is a great example.

Holy crap. How can you swing in all that??

I go with merino baselayer plus Mizuno Windlite. Then on the bottom, merino baselayer plus fall/winter weight slacks. Nike Bandon shoes, Pom Beanue and titleist sleeve with hand warmers inside. That will keep me warm in 35 degree weather. If I need more than that, I'm not playing.

We still ride, planning on teeing of in a few hours, is 38 right now, should be mid 40's by tee time.

I will wear my UA 3.0 bottoms under my Mt Hardware SS pants, a sleeveless UA coldgear turtleneck, ua infrared crew, mizuno windlite, ua infrared beanie, Cally thermal gloves, UA mittens in case, will be a breeze today also.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Will play in the 40's with the sun out. Colder than that would be a rare occasion.
More than 3 layers is too much for me.
Base layer, mock turtle neck, and windproof Zero Restriction pull over.
If it is really cold might add a Zero Restriction vest.
Regular golf hat (cant play without the visor) with ear muffs.
Nike cart mittens.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

I am not a cold weather expert; I just read a lot and am planning to play more in poor weather.

After years and years in Texas, my blood is thin-thin.

Apparel for the seasons:

When it is 40 F or below:

Base Layer - light
Shirt
MidLayer - thin high tech and loose
PacLite Goretex - light
State Apparel Pants or Rain Pants
Beanie/Neck Gaitor
Cold Weather Gloves
Merino Sox
Adidas ClimaHeat Shoes

Above 40 F to 55F

If wind blows, it may be above

Shirt
Midlayer (Sweater)
PacLite (off or on depending on conditions)
Pants
Gloves (depends)
Beanie (depends)
Wool Sox

Above 55F and sunny

Pants or Shorts
Shirt
Midlayer (Sweater) (depending on wind)

[b]And always a wide brimmed hat for uv/sun protection - Nike makes a sun protect bucket hat that even looks good for this type of hat.[/b]

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I try to keep it to two layers. otherwise i'm just bunting it everywhere.

Depending on if it's cold and going to warm up....or if it's just friggin cold all day....or windy.

yesterday (38 at tee time with a ~5-10mph north wind), but warmed to ~52 by the time i was done 3hrs later. i was hot by the time i finished

-Nike Pro Combat compression mock long sleeve.
-Nike 1/4 zip pullover
-Nike "winter weight" pants

i have a bunch of different options. a short sleeve FJ jacket thing that does really well with the wind. i have long underwear that i used for high school football in MN that is a lighter top than the pro combat stuff, but i'll wear underneath the winter weight pants if it's nasty out. i have a couple long sleeve mild wind breakers i might wear over the pro combat and regular golf shirt. i have a super nice RLX vest i'll tee off with and pull off if it's going to warm up. i have a nice Peter Millar sweater vest if it's going to stay chilly, but not windy.

the coldest weather i'll play in is about 40 for a high with no sun and a 15mph wind. for that it's....

Nike Pro Combat as a base layer shirt, with Ashworth wool sweater that has a wind lining.
Long underwear from high school with nike winter weight pants
smartwool socks
FJ cold weather gloves
Ping stocking hat

no battery powered stuff, i won't wear a bajillion layers, and nothing mega fancy. the most important part to staying warm is to WALK and not ride. the other thing is to USE THE SUN. your cold gear should include dark colored stuff. it does make a difference.

walk 18 when it's 40 deg, drizzly, and blowing and that whiskey when you finish tastes oh so good because it was earned.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

keep it simple

WALK!

hikers base layer
good 2nd layer
windproof top layer
flannel chinos
heavy socks
knit hat
rh golf glove

sub 40* no problem (until wind 20mph)

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

I have lived and golfed in both CO and OH winters and simply wear a good base layer from any brand and then for me I have found nothing warmer than Nike thermafit. I can't wear wool, and can't swing in more....wear thermals under rain pants on the bottom. I don't worry about "thick" socks since anything smartwool works. Main thing is my hands and head...which are covered, and I always walk or play where I can. The whole cover the cart with a heater seems a huge waste of time/money to me.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

UA cold gear top and bottom base. 2 pair socks. Fall weight pant (I think they're adidas, maybe UA). Adidas Clima warm top. Wool hat. Recently bought a hand warmer fanny pack like football players wear. Stick a couple of those hand warmer pouches in and go. I'm a hot box so it doesn't take much to keep me warm. I'm good to go like this to around 35°f. Maybe a little colder if I pack a flask.

Long sleeve compression like top, poly fleece, wind sweater
Merino blend socks, regular golf shoes
Stocking cap
Two layer long j's, inner poly, outer merino, fall weight pants or wool blend pants
Winter gloves for the walk

If cold but no wind, then ditch the wind sweater for a thick wool sweater.

This is sub 40 gear.

I run pretty hot blooded so some thermal under roos with usually some sort of fleece pullover top and a light jacket with fleece pants on really cold days.

Cold and wet is normally a good day to stay home and drink rum in the shop, listen to Rage Against the Machine and hit balls into a net.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I recently picked up a Mobile Warming compression shirt and it has been fantastic. A couple days in the low 40s and all I needed was the Mobile Warming shirt, a normal Golf shirt and a wind/rain jacket and I was not cold at all. I'd highly recommend the Mobile Warming stuff for anyone who likes to play cold weather golf.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Just getting back to the US Mainland from Hawaii, I probably will play golf at 50* or better, I went to the driving range and it was in the 40* and could it did not feel good at all, I am military and have plenty of gear to use under the regular clothes to keep me warm, so, even with that I just didn't feel right, I do, however, played 18 holes (walked) in the high 40s at tee time and warmed up to 63 by hole 10, so it was great...I love golf, I really do, but I don't know if I will be out there in anything under the 50* temp...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Basically I use a three layer approach. I have a couple different thickness UA base layers I wear depending on temperature. Then (again depending on temp) I will either put on a UA infra red mid layer, a good sweater, or the Mizuno Windlite sweater. Then top off with a windbreaker or a light flannel lined jacket. On the bottom I have a couple different thickness long johns topped with wool or corduroy pants. I'll wear an UA infra red beanie cap and Dryjoy winter gloves. I will also keep either a sweater vest or extra Goretex jacket in my bag so I can switch out layers if the temperature changes during the round.

beanie for the head

tops: moisture wicking base layer (mock neck), thin fleece 1/2 zip, goretex jacket,

bottom: rain pants over regular pants, if it is really cold, I will add a moisture wicking bottom base layer (rolling up your pants a few inches under your rain pants will lessen the chance of your pants wicking water up).

feet - wool sox

the goretex jacket and rainpants will block any wind, and, help keep your warmth in (in addition to keeping you dry). If it is really cold, I sometimes opt for a heavy weight base layer, or, I add a sleeveless base layer top.

Layer up. It's not one thing it's multiple things that can make miserable conditions more tolerable.

Outer layer - something that seals - water/wind proof. A good stretchy soft shell that stops wind will do WONDERS. Footjoy softshell is the one i go with

Middle layer - Something not too thick that is warm. A wool sweater/pullover/quarter zip. Thicker pants. So many people wear the same pants they use in the spring. I usually wear chino's or something "non golfy" as they have a thicker feel and more insulation.

Base layer - i actually use the UA thermals that are made for hunting. They're very thick and very warm.

Hands - Handwarmers in the pockets. Winter gloves.

Feet - Thermal socks

Layers. Base layer compression shirt (different weights depending on how cold it is) then long sleeve golf shirt and either windlite or wind shirt as top layer. If it's really cold then a vest on top too. Standard golf pants, possibly with light weight long underwear, and heavy golf socks. Typically have hand warmers in my pockets and wear winter golf gloves but also use my Clicgear's mitten attachment (really warm) when walking. Warm beanie hat and sunglasses round it out. A cigar also helps, if it gets too cold you can always drop it in a pile of leaves and stand around getting warm (ha ha). As long as you layer properly you can play down to 30 degrees without any problem. Then the only problem you need to deal with is frozen ground and greens (hit the ball 10 yards short if you want to be on the green).

Don't forget that fall and winter golf are some of the best rounds of the year too - no crowds and very quiet out there. Nice time to play.