Callaway Apex ('13-'15) vs CF16

ChiefGolf2

I've been waiting for a topic like this to pop up after the release of the new Apex CF16. Surprisingly, there isn't anything out there yet and if there is, I haven't seen it! Here we go...

To those playing Callaway Apex irons (2013-2015) currently, have you had the chance to go in and try the new Apex CF16? If so, is there any genuine difference that would cause you to upgrade? This could be anything....feel, distance, forgiveness, looks, etc. If you did upgrade, what was your main reason? If you didn't, why didn't you?

To those not currently playing with the older Apex irons, have you guys had a chance to A/B the irons? If so, what were your impressions?

Again, if this topic is already being discussed elsewhere I apologize and please let me know where I can find the convo! Play well kids!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mrjumbie' timestamp='1447731463' post='12608690']
I've been waiting for a topic like this to pop up after the release of the new Apex CF16. Surprisingly, there isn't anything out there yet and if there is, I haven't seen it! Here we go...

To those playing Callaway Apex irons (2013-2015) currently, have you had the chance to go in and try the new Apex CF16? If so, is there any genuine difference that would cause you to upgrade? This could be anything....feel, distance, forgiveness, looks, etc. If you did upgrade, what was your main reason? If you didn't, why didn't you?

To those not currently playing with the older Apex irons, have you guys had a chance to A/B the irons? If so, what were your impressions?

Again, if this topic is already being discussed elsewhere I apologize and please let me know where I can find the convo! Play well kids!
[/quote]
After owning 42 sets of irons I traded my G30s + to Callaway PO early summer for like new Apex 4-p Recoil F3s. First time in 20+ years I may play a set for 2 Michigan golf season if they survive winter boredom. I have had the new Apex in hand but had no desire to hit them. Favor the more uncluttered look of mine not that the new ones don't look good. Don't need another $1200 set of basically same iron.

I think there are some topics already here that compare the CF16 Apex to other irons but not one just focused on last years Apex to new CF16 Apex.
That being said I had an opportunity to on course test last/old Apex for over three rounds. They looked good and felt better than other GI/tweener irons I had demo. Performance wise they were not bad. Granted they were with the DG Pros s300. Not a shaft I would play and probably too much for me. The flight was low. I did demo with other iron shafts that fit me. Once again just feel these were a bit low and just could not get the confidence with them to give them a go. Then the new Apex CF16! To me and for me totally different. I just can not stop hitting them or put them down! I have been trying different shafts and WOW! I know they have changed some things but for me it is night and day. I even tried the shafts I was liking in the CF16 Apex to last years and it really is different. The feel is amazing and is one of the things that just jumps out to me. They have solid distance gains for me and are pretty forgiving. In my next set I want something with a little less offset and feel is important. I really want it to remain forgiving. I am kind of looking for that tweener set. Not a blade but not full on GI. I have started to try/demo other irons but keep coming back to the Apex CF16.
The technology, looks , and feel have all changed with the new Apex. For me so has the performance.

[quote name='divottool' timestamp='1447767141' post='12609544']
I think there are some topics already here that compare the CF16 Apex to other irons but not one just focused on last years Apex to new CF16 Apex.
That being said I had an opportunity to on course test last/old Apex for over three rounds. They looked good and felt better than other GI/tweener irons I had demo. Performance wise they were not bad. Granted they were with the DG Pros s300. Not a shaft I would play and probably too much for me. The flight was low. I did demo with other iron shafts that fit me. Once again just feel these were a bit low and just could not get the confidence with them to give them a go. Then the new Apex CF16! To me and for me totally different. I just can not stop hitting them or put them down! I have been trying different shafts and WOW! I know they have changed some things but for me it is night and day. I even tried the shafts I was liking in the CF16 Apex to last years and it really is different. The feel is amazing and is one of the things that just jumps out to me. They have solid distance gains for me and are pretty forgiving. In my next set I want something with a little less offset and feel is important. I really want it to remain forgiving. I am kind of looking for that tweener set. Not a blade but not full on GI. I have started to try/demo other irons but keep coming back to the Apex CF16.
The technology, looks , and feel have all changed with the new Apex. For me so has the performance.
[/quote]

Thanks so much for your input! It isn't too often where you see noticeable differences in the next model in so many different categories like you! It's nice to hear from other people that Callaway really did put some effort into improving their equipment and really out-perform what they've previously released. Sounds like those sticks may find their way into your bag very soon!

[quote name='hardten' timestamp='1447766918' post='12609528']
[quote name='mrjumbie' timestamp='1447731463' post='12608690']

[/quote]
After owning 42 sets of irons I traded my G30s + to Callaway PO early summer for like new Apex 4-p Recoil F3s. First time in 20+ years I may play a set for 2 Michigan golf season if they survive winter boredom. I have had the new Apex in hand but had no desire to hit them. Favor the more uncluttered look of mine not that the new ones don't look good. Don't need another $1200 set of basically same iron.
[/quote]

I'll admit that I prefer the look of the older model as well. I think they really got the simple looks perfect on those irons. Not to say the new irons aren't beautiful as well, it's just to me....less is more! Thanks for your reply!

I have played Apex Pro's for nearly 2 seasons and really like them a lot. I had a chance to hit the new Pro's and CF extensively at an outdoor demo recently.

To me, the CF's are a substantial improvement over the prior year equivalent model. Felt more solid...damn near as nice as my older Apex Pro's. Super easy to hit and at least half a club longer but that could be jacked lofts.

The new Apex Pro's were great, but I did not notice any improvement in feel or distance and really prefer the satin finish of my older Pro's. I was originally concerned about the satin finish showing excessive wear, but the club heads have sort of stopped wearing and simply look nicely used now. Very little bag chatter too and they are definitely not babied.

If I was seriously considering changing irons, I would probably move to the CF's.

[quote name='mrjumbie' timestamp='1447776436' post='12610234']
[quote name='divottool' timestamp='1447767141' post='12609544']
[/quote]

Thanks so much for your input! It isn't too often where you see noticeable differences in the next model in so many different categories like you! It's nice to hear from other people that Callaway really did put some effort into improving their equipment and really out-perform what they've previously released. Sounds like those sticks may find their way into your bag very soon!
[/quote]
Welcome for the input. I agree in that I did not expect much. I was not going to even try them based on last years model experiences. Was shocked how different even with same shaft in both old and new head performed.
Much to demo before any winner crowned. But in the end still have a feeling these may be among one of the best.

I've written in the main thread a few times:

I've owned 4 total sets of Apex:

1) Apex 14 5-A
2) Apex 14 5,6,7 Apex Pro 14 8,9,P,A
3) Apex CF16 5-A
4) ended up ordering another set of Apex 14 5,6,7 Apex Pro 14 8,9,P,A

For me, the CF16 weren't nearly as long, forgiving or as good feeling. i absolutely LOVE the the Apex 14's

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1447818546' post='12613672']

1) Apex 14 5-A
3) Apex CF16 5-A

For me, the CF16 weren't nearly as long, forgiving or as good feeling. i absolutely LOVE the the Apex 14's
[/quote]

Thanks for this! It's great to get an opinion from the other side as well. Callaway didn't make any subtle changes at all from Apex's release in 2013 through their 2015 model did they? I didn't think they did, but you seem to have had your fair share of experience with the Apex line so maybe you noticed some differences?

[quote name='mrjumbie' timestamp='1447819797' post='12613734']
[quote name='cxissi' timestamp='1447817434' post='12613548']
The cf 16 is outstanding , heads above the older model in every department , down side price is pretty steep,
gb
[/quote]

are they just as much as the original Apex was brand new?
[/quote]

[quote name='mrjumbie' timestamp='1447819797' post='12613734']
[quote name='cxissi' timestamp='1447817434' post='12613548']
The cf 16 is outstanding , heads above the older model in every department , down side price is pretty steep,
gb
[/quote]

are they just as much as the original Apex was brand new?
[/quote]

Not sure, the apex line is pricey that said I ordered a set 5-pw,aw .

Maybe ask the guy who has bought 4 sets of these , I am sure he will know .
Gb

• 2 weeks later...

I really wanted the new apex, I've owned the apex irons since they came out. I've hit inside several times and sad to say no difference on the L.M. The original Apex are great and so are the new ones. 2 years seems like a long time for me with the same iron but nothing could beat them. They are looking fairly worn with the forged frame, I'm sure I'll talk myself into something.LOL

Hit my 2013 Apex 7 iron vs the 2015 version with the EXACT same setup, shaft, length, lie and the numbers were almost identical on Trackman...numbers don't lie, no way I'm spending another $1,200 for the same performance!

Titleist '23 T200 5-G / T350 4 Iron
Taylormade MG3 52 /56 & 60 TW

Taylormade SIM2 Ti 3 Wood Smoke Black

Taylormade Stealth+ 2 Driver Diamana ZF 60

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12.5

Titleist ProV1X Left Dash

Titleist Linkmaster

For me the mizuno 2016 ez forged with xp105 reg was more forgiving, better turf interaction and felt better than a Cf16 with xp 95. Length was about the same.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='johnnythunders' timestamp='1448933240' post='12665144']
For me the mizuno 2016 ez forged with xp105 reg was more forgiving, better turf interaction and felt better than a Cf16 with xp 95. Length was about the same.
[/quote]

how did you like the finish on those new EZ Forged? I haven't seen it in person, but the photos I've seen don't really do it for me. Also, was the EZ significantly larger in dimensions compared to the CF16? Thanks a ton for your reply and thoughts!

[quote name='Bece2117' timestamp='1448932970' post='12665098']
Hit my 2013 Apex 7 iron vs the 2015 version with the EXACT same setup, shaft, length, lie and the numbers were almost identical on Trackman...numbers don't lie, no way I'm spending another $1,200 for the same performance!
[/quote]

VERY interesting. If you don't mind me asking, what was your setup for both irons?

I had 3 head to head comparisons with my Bridgestone J15 CB and the Apex CF16 and the first two had the Apex a full club longer, but mostly because of less spin. The last trackman session had the two nearly identical in carry and the J15 were spinning about 1300 rpm more. I bought a set of the Apex after the first two sessions, and am considering returning based on the last. I'm playing the modus3 in the BS and was hitting the XP95 in the Apex CF. I believe I'll be most punished on the off days with the Bridgestone, where the forgiveness of the Callaway would make the difference. I need to hit the whole set to see if the 7 iron results carry through, but I was really impressed with the Callaway, and I've never spent close to $1000 on a set of irons in my life.

1) Apex 14 5-A
3) Apex CF16 5-A

[/quote]"i absolutely LOVE the the Apex 14's" but you just had to change them out so many times because? of :wub:

Forgiveness
For 4-7, Apex CF 16 > Apex 14
For 8-AW, Apex CF 16 = Apex 14

Length
Same

Feel/Sound
It's a personal thing but I like the Apex CF16 over the old Apex. It sounded more muted but the feel off the face felt more springy at the same time.

Price
Yes, it's expensive... But if I recall, people were complaining about the price of the original Apex too.

If you already have the Apex 14's, is it worth the $ to upgrade? Probably not... but pretty much nothing in golf (equipment, greens fees,etc) is really worth the $. Its a slightly more forgiving newer version of what you have. Just get it. You know you want to.

If you are looking to buy an Apex for the first time, then just get the new Apex CF 16. Why buy a 2 year old Apex 14's? Think like this, why do people buy iPhone 6s instead of 5s when there are minimal differences in function? Because iphone 6s is newer... If you decide to get the old model, I gurantee you will end up upgrading again within a year.

Real good deals this time of year on the bay...

[quote name='Jaenuwine' timestamp='1448957474' post='12666202']

1) Apex 14 5-A
3) Apex CF16 5-A

[/quote]"i absolutely LOVE the the Apex 14's" but you just had to change them out so many times because? of :wub:
[/quote]

Um, because something new came out... golfwrx is an even site.

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='mrjumbie' timestamp='1447819709' post='12613728']

1) Apex 14 5-A
3) Apex CF16 5-A

[/quote]

Thanks for this! It's great to get an opinion from the other side as well. Callaway didn't make any subtle changes at all from Apex's release in 2013 through their 2015 model did they? I didn't think they did, but you seem to have had your fair share of experience with the Apex line so maybe you noticed some differences?
[/quote]

Nothing, no.. I just play a lot of golf in the Summer, and being a WRX'er, feel the need to "upgrade"? stuff way too often.

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

[quote name='stoneydukes' timestamp='1448947872' post='12666050']
I had 3 head to head comparisons with my Bridgestone J15 CB and the Apex CF16 and the first two had the Apex a full club longer, but mostly because of less spin. The last trackman session had the two nearly identical in carry and the J15 were spinning about 1300 rpm more. [i][b] I bought a set of the Apex after the first two sessions, and am considering returning based on the last.[/b][/i] I'm playing the modus3 in the BS and was hitting the XP95 in the Apex CF. I believe I'll be most punished on the off days with the Bridgestone, where the forgiveness of the Callaway would make the difference. I need to hit the whole set to see if the 7 iron results carry through, but I was really impressed with the Callaway, and I've never spent close to $1000 on a set of irons in my life.
[/quote]

Probably me, but I'm not following the text above in bold. Did you buy the CF16s or the original Apex? What are you considering returning?

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

I haven't hit the new ones because our regional rep is pretty much unhelpful, but I am really skeptical of how they could've improved on the 14s in terms of actual flight characteristics. The sound or look might be improved, but those aren't enough to make me switch if the performance is the same.

I would like to try the new ones in a recoil, but again, our rep can't seem to honor that request. His loss as I'm not worried about the price like some potential buyers.

Epic SZ 9* Speeder 665
816 Alpha 14* Tensei Pro Blue
Titleist T-MB 3 - PW KBS C-Taper
Vokey SM6 Raw 50*F & 55*M, Low Bounce K 59*
Scotty Cameron Newport Buttonback

Like the finish on the ez forgd, they are a little bigger than the apex, the apex is a nice club just like the ez feel and forgivemess better.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

• 1 year later...

I own and continue to play the previous version Apex. Best set of irons I've ever had. I'am an 8 handicap. I was finally able to hit the cf16 and the biggest difference between the two is feel. The previous model has much better feel, and I'm not just talking about pure hits either. I'm speaking about information transfer as well.. I also prefer the satin finish of the previous model, but that is cosmetic and not really that important. The cf16 is still a pretty decent Club in my opinion but the differences in feel were obvious between the two models. A couple of my friends at the late Golfsmith that used to be in town have had the same experience

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I own and continue to play the previous version Apex. Best set of irons I've ever had. I'am an 8 handicap. I was finally able to hit the cf16 and the biggest difference between the two is feel. The previous model has much better feel, and I'm not just talking about pure hits either. I'm speaking about information transfer as well.. I also prefer the satin finish of the previous model, but that is cosmetic and not really that important. The cf16 is still a pretty decent Club in my opinion but the differences in feel were obvious between the two models. A couple of my friends at the late Golfsmith that used to be in town have had the same experience

I totally agree with you, I played the Apex Forged 2014 for about 4 years and purchased a set of CF16. For some reason, I just don't get the same hit feedback and distance control with the CF16's.

With CF16's, I find longer irons a little shorter in distance and the Cf16 mid to shorter irons longer in distance, not a good combination.