2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

UK: Help me make an itinerary

redhead

I am planning to take a break sometime in March for 2-3 weeks. I would make a travel from Land's End (Cornwall) to John o' Groats in the north, and play golf along the way. Can you give me some recommendations? I can play 18-36-18-36-18 on weekdays, and spend the weekend for non-golf trip and take a rest. I really wanted to play at St. Andrews (Old), but other than that, I am open to any suggestion. I would, however, prefer the "hidden gem" courses rather than just top-100 or something like that.

Cheers!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to stay away from the 'usual suspects', you will not be disappointed. However, this becomes so subjective, and you'll get a myriad of recommendations.

I wouldn't dare give a full itinerary, but some golf courses that I personally wouldn't want to miss out on that fit into that hidden gem category, would be, from South to North UK (well sort of), would be St Enodoc. Saunton East and West, Royal North Devon, Burnham and Berrow, Hayling, Pennard, Aberdovey, Conwy, Royal St Davids, Wallasey, Hillside, Ganton, Hunstanton, West Lancs. Silloth on Solway (must play!) Southerness, Dundonald, West Kilbride, Machrihanish, Gullane #2, Kilspindie (idyllic), Elie, New Course St Andrews, Monifieth, Panmure, Montrose, Murcar Links, Cruden Bay, Fraserburgh, Tain, Golspie, Brora.

Now that's a pretty extensive list, and sure there are all the usual suspects that I've deliberately left off from the list. Others will add a few more, but for a start of the hidden gems list, have a good look at all of these, and fit in as many as you can, you won't be disappointed, and often save yourself a few £££ from the higher £100+ of many of the 'usual suspects'.

Enjoy.

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1447844211' post='12614258']
If you want to stay away from the 'usual suspects', you will not be disappointed. However, this becomes so subjective, and you'll get a myriad of recommendations.

I wouldn't dare give a full itinerary, but some golf courses that I personally wouldn't want to miss out on that fit into that hidden gem category, would be, from South to North UK (well sort of), would be St Enodoc. Saunton East and West, Royal North Devon, Burnham and Berrow, Hayling, Pennard, Aberdovey, Conwy, Royal St Davids, Wallasey, Hillside, Ganton, Hunstanton, West Lancs. Silloth on Solway (must play!) Southerness, Dundonald, West Kilbride, Machrihanish, Gullane #2, Kilspindie (idyllic), Elie, New Course St Andrews, Monifieth, Panmure, Montrose, Murcar Links, Cruden Bay, Fraserburgh, Tain, Golspie, Brora.

Now that's a pretty extensive list, and sure there are all the usual suspects that I've deliberately left off from the list. Others will add a few more, but for a start of the hidden gems list, have a good look at all of these, and fit in as many as you can, you won't be disappointed, and often save yourself a few £££ from the higher £100+ of many of the 'usual suspects'.

Enjoy.
[/quote]

Cheers for the reply.

I completely agree with you. It was my intention from the very beginning to avoid the usual suspect. Saving a couple of £££ is a bonus indeed.

Apologise for my stupidity. This should've been posted on the UK forum instead. Dear Mod, if you could move it to the appropriate forum.

[quote name='redhead' timestamp='1447865170' post='12615294']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1447844211' post='12614258']

Enjoy.
[/quote]

Cheers for the reply.

I completely agree with you. It was my intention from the very beginning to avoid the usual suspect. Saving a couple of £££ is a bonus indeed.

Apologise for my stupidity. This should've been posted on the UK forum instead. Dear Mod, if you could move it to the appropriate forum.
[/quote]

I'm just glad I can help by means of putting a few options your way, now get on some of those Courses websites and enjoy the ride! :taunt:

If I had three weeks to go from Cornwall to the Northern tip of Scotland and wanted to skip the most famous (most expensive courses) and hit the slightly less known gems, these would be the ones I’d consider. Map them out and see which ones fit best on your itinerary. They are listed from South to North.
Perranporth
St Endoc
Yelverton
Saunton (East & West courses)
Burnham & Berrow
New Zealand
Woking
Huntercombe
Cleeve Cloud
Edgbaston
Whittington Heath
Beau Desert
Cavendish
Reddish Vale
Moortown
Alwoodley
Wallasaey
West Lancashire
Southport & Ainsdale
Silloth on Solway
Glasgow Gailes
Irvine Bogside
Kilmarnock Barassie
Royal Musselburgh
Kilspindie
Luffness
Gullane 2 and 3
Dunbar
Lundin
Leven
Elie
Anstruther (9 holes)
Crail Balcomie
St Andrews Eden and New
Panmure
Montrose
Monifieth
Murcar
Fraserburgh
Brora
Nairn
Moray
Spey Valley
Boat of Garten
Golspie

[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1447900045' post='12617694']
If I had three weeks to go from Cornwall to the Northern tip of Scotland and wanted to skip the most famous (most expensive courses) and hit the slightly less known gems, these would be the ones I’d consider. Map them out and see which ones fit best on your itinerary. They are listed from South to North.
Perranporth
St Endoc
Yelverton
Saunton (East & West courses)
Burnham & Berrow
New Zealand
Woking
Huntercombe
Cleeve Cloud
Edgbaston
Whittington Heath
Beau Desert
Cavendish
Reddish Vale
Moortown
Alwoodley
Wallasaey
West Lancashire
Southport & Ainsdale
Silloth on Solway
Glasgow Gailes
Irvine Bogside
Kilmarnock Barassie
Royal Musselburgh
Kilspindie
Luffness
Gullane 2 and 3
Dunbar
Lundin
Leven
Elie
Anstruther (9 holes)
Crail Balcomie
St Andrews Eden and New
Panmure
Montrose
Monifieth
Murcar
Fraserburgh
Brora
Nairn
Moray
Spey Valley
Boat of Garten
Golspie
[/quote]

Whoa.... Thank you so much. This is such an exhaustive list. But, really, I appreciate it! Cheers!

Red - bear in mind the weather could be pretty terrible - downright unplayable for stretches of that time - for that time of year, you wouldn't need to make any tee times (apart from maybe some in Fife or Ayr) and really could play it by ear... obviously with the framework of your overall march North. Also I am not sure if the Old Course - and potentially some of the others - still require hitting off mats at that time of the year.

With less daylight - obviously still a good deal, but not 8pm+ - you'll also want to pay attention to the visitors times for each course, as some may preclude a 36 hole day if they start to late. Jay nailed most of them, but from my own experience in Sept (going London, Cornwall, South Wales, Lake District, Scotland, and back to London: used to live there so visiting friends and golfed 15.5 rounds in two weeks) and in Scotland last year I'd offer up the following.
I'm hardly revealing anything new with these (likely almost all ranked in magazines if one was to look) but still ones you don't see come up here much. Except Porthcawl, and the two Scottish ones I mention, all the other rounds are sub 100GBP.

[b]South West:[/b]
St. Enodoc*, RND*, Saunton East*, Saunton West
St. Enodoc is awesome! Absolute must play, along with Pennard, North Berwick, and Prestwick, about as good/much fun as it gets IMHO. Saunton East is a great example of a more 'grownup' course. Really fun, but feel it could be a tournament hoster as well.

[b]South Wales:[/b]
Pennard*, Royal Porthcawl, Southerndown*, Tenby
Already mentioned above, Pennard is another awesome course, with holes you're not going to find anywhere else. Another one not to miss. Southerndown is unique in it's position on top of a hill, hence the term down. Great views, varied layout.

[b]Middleish to Northish:[/b]
Woodhall Spa*, Aldwoodley*, Ganton*
My three favorite inland courses? Most likely. Maybe a bit of a faff to fit them nicely in. But Woodhall Spa, A1(M) to Ganton, then back down a bit to Aldwoodley, can lead into crossing into the Lake District after that. I played Beau Desert, but TBH after doing so, I wish I'd have played Cavendish or Huntercombe that day instead.
Ones I haven't played Cavendish, Huntercombe, Notts. Really wanted to play Notts, just off the M1 too, so easy on a travel day. Haven't played any of the courses around Liverpool either, could lose a week there easily, although I tried to play Formby, but they were packed the day I drove by.

[b]Cumbria/Ayr[/b]
Silloth-on-Solway*, Seascale, Prestwick*
Silloth is another cannot miss course, great mix of holes. Seascale - next to a nuclear facility, great seaviews, fun layout, what's not to like? Prestwick is just a little bit well known, but really if you haven't played it and don't know when you'll be back, you really should. It has the history and the quirks, but above all it's a proper test and great fun!

[b]Rest of Scotland[/b]
I'll leave it to the internets for all the Scottish options out there, really is how long is a piece of string, bar one.
North Berwick* is another one I simply wouldn't pass up.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1447954456' post='12620010']
Red - bear in mind the weather could be pretty terrible - downright unplayable for stretches of that time - for that time of year, you wouldn't need to make any tee times (apart from maybe some in Fife or Ayr) and really could play it by ear... obviously with the framework of your overall march North. Also I am not sure if the Old Course - and potentially some of the others - still require hitting off mats at that time of the year.

With less daylight - obviously still a good deal, but not 8pm+ - you'll also want to pay attention to the visitors times for each course, as some may preclude a 36 hole day if they start to late. Jay nailed most of them, but from my own experience in Sept (going London, Cornwall, South Wales, Lake District, Scotland, and back to London: used to live there so visiting friends and golfed 15.5 rounds in two weeks) and in Scotland last year I'd offer up the following.
I'm hardly revealing anything new with these (likely almost all ranked in magazines if one was to look) but still ones you don't see come up here much. Except Porthcawl, and the two Scottish ones I mention, all the other rounds are sub 100GBP.

St. Enodoc is awesome! Absolute must play, along with Pennard, North Berwick, and Prestwick, about as good/much fun as it gets IMHO. Saunton East is a great example of a more 'grownup' course. Really fun, but feel it could be a tournament hoster as well.

Already mentioned above, Pennard is another awesome course, with holes you're not going to find anywhere else. Another one not to miss. Southerndown is unique in it's position on top of a hill, hence the term down. Great views, varied layout.

My three favorite inland courses? Most likely. Maybe a bit of a faff to fit them nicely in. But Woodhall Spa, A1(M) to Ganton, then back down a bit to Aldwoodley, can lead into crossing into the Lake District after that. I played Beau Desert, but TBH after doing so, I wish I'd have played Cavendish or Huntercombe that day instead.
Ones I haven't played Cavendish, Huntercombe, Notts. Really wanted to play Notts, just off the M1 too, so easy on a travel day. Haven't played any of the courses around Liverpool either, could lose a week there easily, although I tried to play Formby, but they were packed the day I drove by.

[b]Cumbria/Ayr[/b]
Silloth is another cannot miss course, great mix of holes. Seascale - next to a nuclear facility, great seaviews, fun layout, what's not to like? Prestwick is just a little bit well known, but really if you haven't played it and don't know when you'll be back, you really should. It has the history and the quirks, but above all it's a proper test and great fun!

[b]Rest of Scotland[/b]
I'll leave it to the internets for all the Scottish options out there, really is how long is a piece of string, bar one.
[/quote]

It's funny how strong the subjective impulses are, because it's interesting how everyone coo's over North Berwick, and whilst the overall package of being looked after, friendly professional staff without being over the top corporate nonsense, are all great, I was actually a touch disappointed with the Course in some respects. Sure, the first 3 or 4 holes are fun and have some lovely views, and 15.16, and 17 are a master class in how course design can be absolute timeless, in terms of equipment advances, which mean diddly squat on those holes, particularly the Redan Par 3, which is the best Par 3 I've ever played, anywhere in the world. I did find the rest of the course a little mundane to be truthful. Just personally for me, I preferred the overall quality of holes at Gullane #1. But as I said, it's all so subjective of course.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1447954456' post='12620010']

[b]Cumbria/Ayr[/b]

[b]Rest of Scotland[/b]
[/quote]

Thanks so much for your lavish answers. I am particularly interested in your suggestion on the Wales area. Did a quick search and found it very stunning, probably on par with those in the Scotland area. Golfing in the Snowdon mountain area would be awesome indeed.

I also watched Crossfield's vlog on St. Enodoc. That was absolutely must visit.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='redhead' timestamp='1447841201' post='12614222']
I am planning to take a break sometime in March for 2-3 weeks. I would make a travel from Land's End (Cornwall) to John o' Groats in the north, and play golf along the way. Can you give me some recommendations? I can play 18-36-18-36-18 on weekdays, and spend the weekend for non-golf trip and take a rest. I really wanted to play at St. Andrews (Old), but other than that, I am open to any suggestion. I would, however, prefer the "hidden gem" courses rather than just top-100 or something like that.

Cheers!
[/quote]

I've done my fare share of travelling in the UK so if you can answer the following I can come up with a realistic proposal for you:

1. How long do you have to do all this?
2. What is your budget on golf and accommodation?
3. How far are you prepared to travel between destinations?

• 1 year later...

Two years later - I am interested in how your trip went?

For the record my version of your trip would go like this:

St Enodoc, Trevose, Westward Ho, Royal Porthcawl, Royal St David's, Aberdovey, Tenby, Wallasey, Formby, Hesketh, Windermere, Silloth on Solway, Prestwick, Western Gailes, Lundin Links, St Andrews New, Cruden Bay, Boat of Garten, Nairn, Brora and after that not sure.