New Putter Company - Toulon Design - Updated 1-25-2016 (Merged)

jwfgolfpro

Former Taylormade executive vice president of product creation, Sean Toulon has a new putter company.

Bet they are going to be good.

Found this on Facebook.

Making of the Madison: Part One

Here's a quick sketch of our first putter design - The Madison. A quintessential design done our way. Stay tuned and watch as it comes to life.

#‎milled #‎putters #‎golf

Making of the Madison: Part Two

The Naming and Artwork - Madison, Wisconsin is important to me not just because I was born there, but it's also where I learned and fell in love with golf. From growing up at Odana Hills Golf Course and caddying at Nakoma Golf Club, I learned so many lessons that have guided me through my life. My best and dearest friendships took root there, and the beginnings of my life in the business of (with the help of a great group of PGA professionals) golf started there. Madison is a place that will forever be in the center of my heart.

For Toulon Design, we think it's appropriate to call this iconic putter design the Madison.

The logo associated with this design is the spectacular capitol building at the center of Madison. Standing taller than any structure in the city, the capitol building commands attention with its timeless and beautiful design which meshes perfectly with our Art Deco inspired theme. This logo, along with the words “Crafted in California” will be engraved on our putter. Hope you like it.

Making of the Madison: Part Three

We are seeking to create the best. A putter that is magnificently beautiful. A putter that sounds better, feels better, and ultimately rolls the ball better. A look that inspires confidence, performance that confirms it. When a design captures all of this, we know that we created what we sought after.

As we enter the prototype stage, the next part of the process is to turn our ideas and conceptual drawings into something material that can be tested, analyzed, and improved upon.

Here are the initial CAD line drawings of the Madison. Hope you love what you see...

Making of the Madison: Part Four

For the next step, we go straight from CAD drawings to machining.

Why do we do this? Because there is nothing like holding a piece of steel in your hands. You can see every detail, everything you did right, and every opportunity to make it better. We study every detail, every edge, every line, every blend and then we modify and refine until it looks perfect. In the "Making of the Madison" and every subsequent Toulon Design creation, this is the process we will follow. It may cost a little more to do it this way, but it ensures exact precision. The putter head in this picture is prototype #1. We're now just finishing prototype #25. We've tested each one rigorously and we're almost there. We can't wait to show you more...

Fresh batch of prototypes. We've been testing different face patterns to determine which sounds, feels, and rolls the best. You can follow us on instagram and twitter @toulondesign for more...

https://www.facebook...er&notif_t=like

ALL Taylormade :)

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this on Twitter

[attachment=3044026:image.png]

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

If anyone remembers Zevo Golf from the early to late 90s, Mr. Toulon was the founder. You can find images of some of his designs from Zevo, including putters, before he sold the company.

I think he had a great run at TaylorMade, so I'm looking forward to seeing what his new venture comes out with.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

[quote name='wcbjr' timestamp='1448382919' post='12640466']
Glad to see another company trying to break into the industry.

But it's just another Anser clone.
[/quote]

I agree 10000%. I just do not understand why so many companies are trying to launch product that is identical to everything else out there. At least companies like Low Tide have something unique.

[quote name='Ed Settle' timestamp='1448383728' post='12640532']
Found this on Twitter

[/quote]

If it is the one in the sketch above, there is no uniqueness other than it has a different name on it.

WITB
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0*

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* 

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 19* 

Ping i525 4-UW

Titleist Vokey SM8- 54* and 58*

Custom Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

I actually have two of the Zevo putters. They are actually pretty good putters.

Mizuno ST200 Fujikura Ventus Red 6X
TaylorMade Tour Issue SIM Max 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Red 7S
Callaway Apex 3 & 4 Hybrid Graphite Design IZ-95S
Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-PW DG AMT TI S400
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 DG TI S400
Bettinardi BB0 Longneck DASS Poison Koolaid

[quote name='jll62' timestamp='1448383737' post='12640534']
If anyone remembers Zevo Golf from the early to late 90s, Mr. Toulon was the founder. You can find images of some of his designs from Zevo, including putters, before he sold the company.

I think he had a great run at TaylorMade, so I'm looking forward to seeing what his new venture comes out with.
[/quote]

I agree. Sean is a golfer, not just a business man. Golf is his passion and I am excited to see what he has in mind.

And I understand the hesitancy in some of the detractors. But what are you going to start a new company with, if not a tried and true Anser design? If you make something too unique, no one would take him serious. Every boutique putter designer on the market today has some version of a Ping Anser in their line.

I'll be interested to see what kind of face milling he has in mind or if he's going to use an insert. I can't wait to see what kind of mallet he comes out with.

Good luck, Sean.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='Cheesehead42' timestamp='1448383884' post='12640542']

[/quote]

I agree 10000%. I just do not understand why so many companies are trying to launch product that is identical to everything else out there. At least companies like Low Tide have something unique.

Found this on Twitter

[/quote]

If it is the one in the sketch above, there is no uniqueness other than it has a different name on it.
[/quote]

I think it has to do with customer expectations and the target market of the company. What have we all seen? When a company comes out with crazy designs and tries to push real performance boundaries, they get widely panned as being "not traditional enough." Yet when a company like Low Tide or Edel has traditional putter designs that clearly have Anser roots but look a little different, many people (myself included) think that the putters look a little bit "off" simply because they're not shaped like what our brains are expecting to see.

If you want to have a large presence in the market and not just in the custom boutique market, I think you have to toe the Anser design line very closely because that's what the public is used to seeing. Of course by doing that, you leave very little room to differentiate yourself and why would someone pick your product over a Scotty or a Bettinardi, or any other number of high quality, custom putters that look the same? That's the trick and I wonder what sort of answers Toulon will have for that.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

[quote name='Cheesehead42' timestamp='1448383884' post='12640542']

[/quote]

Found this on Twitter

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would say it's because that tried and true Anser design still sells. It's a shape a lot of players are comfortable with. Assuming you have some new technology if you can apply it to an Anser style you broaden your potential customer base. The newer designs take a while to get accepted, and having something else makes sense.

If you want to build any kind of tour staff, you need to have an Anser offering.

Do you really think the major OEMs would keep churning out a design that doesn't sell?

It's like anything else... if we stop buying something, they'll stop building them.

I misread the thread title as "New Putter" Company.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1448390919' post='12641150']
I would say it's because that tried and true Anser design still sells. It's a shape a lot of players are comfortable with. Assuming you have some new technology if you can apply it to an Anser style you broaden your potential customer base. The newer designs take a while to get accepted, and having something else makes sense.

If you want to build any kind of tour staff, you need to have an Anser offering.

Do you really think the major OEMs would keep churning out a design that doesn't sell?

It's like anything else... if we stop buying something, they'll stop building them.
[/quote]

This. Everybody laughed at the "Brick on a Stick" and that halfpipe looking thing, but something like this is just a clone. With some people you just cannot win.

I wonder if he will sell "direct to customer" like many of the boutique companies do (including Betti)? Also, if that is the case, the website presentation as far as customization and ordering ease will play a big factor in success rate early on. (i.e.... price [b]everything[/b] online, you get lots of stop short orders when it requires a call or email in later ;) )

I'm surprised in my recent Internet shopping for a new putter how varied this aspect was out there.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

Nothing wrong with having a well done Anser clone in the lineup, but the key will be to see how Toulon differentiates itself.

As long as he doesn't have a cheesy infomercial like the Overspin Putter that needs photoshopping to get the ball into the hole, he has a fighting chance...

TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5* driver
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 3 wood
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 5 wood
TaylorMade M2 2016 3-4-5 hybrids
TaylorMade 7-AW Burner 2010 black irons
Scratch 53* DD and 60*SS wedges
Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
2009 Presidents' Cup staff bag with assorted USA theme headcovers
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='avguy' timestamp='1448403642' post='12642120']
I wonder if he will sell "direct to customer" like many of the boutique companies do (including Betti)? Also, if that is the case, the website presentation as far as customization and ordering ease will play a big factor in success rate early on. (i.e.... price [b]everything[/b] online, you get lots of stop short orders when it requires a call or email in later ;) )

I'm surprised in my recent Internet shopping for a new putter how varied this aspect was out there.
[/quote]

I agree. I love not having to be bothered with dealing with humans to custom order product. It still blows my mind that any manufacturer/ retailer would make it any more difficult on/ add unnecessary steps for the buyer nowadays, with that newfangled internet thing. There's some websites with really good, interactive custom ordering, and some without. I've personally moved on to another outlet many times because I was not able to purchase with the options I wanted without getting on the horn and calling someone (I've even sometimes passed on small savings offers or free shipping for the convenience). Usually an alcohol fueled late-night impulse buy that I know sober me would veto if I had to wait to speak to a person during business hours.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

With respect to the votes for a web-only ordering process, I would personally rather lose an order than force someone to use an impersonal web form to buy something as personal as a new putter or a customization. In my experience, most customers have an idea of what they want but aren't 100% sure. The folks active in this forum are obviously an exception to that rule.

I literally answer my phone 24/7 to talk to or email with my customers.

Perhaps some customers will prefer a web only experience.

TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5* driver
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 3 wood
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 5 wood
TaylorMade M2 2016 3-4-5 hybrids
TaylorMade 7-AW Burner 2010 black irons
Scratch 53* DD and 60*SS wedges
Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
2009 Presidents' Cup staff bag with assorted USA theme headcovers
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

Oh great. Another Anser....

(When he comes out with a new design) WTF is that? Has he lost his mind?!?!?!

Sometimes a guy just can't win!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I love that Sean Toulon is launching his company with a classic named after his native Madison, WI.

I'll keep an eye out for these!

TSR3 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed 15* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

Black Ops 22* AV White 85S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

009 Welded 1.5

[quote name='chickenpotpie' timestamp='1448414998' post='12643004']
Willing to bet that none of the detractors have actually gone out and put their own time and money into a business....especially one with as much risk as golf. Much easier to just poke fun and collect your paycheck from someone else who did.
[/quote]I'm certainly not a hater, but I will need to understand why I would buy this Anser versus: Ping's, Scotty's, Byron's, Lajosi's, Odyssey's milled and PT, etc... It seems like a lot of risk for very limited ability to be successful short or long term.