The Golfers of today....

Low3

Hey everyone please correct me if this is the wrong place to post but I have been doing some looking around and its pretty expensive to dress "the golf of today". I remember when I was younger in high school my dad would of course buy my golfing gear and I don't remember paying $80+ for pants and $40+ for a shirt and $120+ for shoes. I just think its crazy!

So all in all I wanted to get some of my fellow WRXers to give me some advice regarding getting great gear for a better price, and to explain I love love love Nike gear and also Under Armor those are my top picks. So if you have a good spot to get those brands let me know.

Thanks.

[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Driver: GBB EPIC SUB ZERO 9.0 DRIVER[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Fairway: GBB EPIC 3 WOOD[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Hybrid: EPIC 2 HYBRID[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Irons: 4-PW APEX CF 16 COMBO[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Wedges: MACK DADDY FORGED CHROME WEDGES 52* 56* 60*[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 2[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I try not to worry about dressing "the golf of today". The golf of last season is way cheaper. There are deals all over the place, but if you want the newest/latest/greatest, you're going to pay for that privilege.

M5 w/Rogue
Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
MD3 50/54/58
Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

[quote name='jewofgolf' timestamp='1448924877' post='12664524']
I buy things a few models old and/or not the most expensive brands. Typically shoes are 60 or less, shirts 30 or less and shorts/pants under 25.

I shop at Ross, outlets, ebay, bst, and sometimes with coupons and a clearance simultaneously the bix box stores.
[/quote]

And you made a great point, I have seen great things at Ross. And ebay is great as well I guess I just have to be patient.

[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Driver: GBB EPIC SUB ZERO 9.0 DRIVER[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Fairway: GBB EPIC 3 WOOD[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Hybrid: EPIC 2 HYBRID[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Irons: 4-PW APEX CF 16 COMBO[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Wedges: MACK DADDY FORGED CHROME WEDGES 52* 56* 60*[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b][color=#000000][font=courier new,courier,monospace][size=3]Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 2[/size][/font][/color][/b][/u][/center]

[quote name='Graymulligan' timestamp='1448925811' post='12664588']
Personally I try not to worry about dressing "the golf of today". The golf of last season is way cheaper. There are deals all over the place, but if you want the newest/latest/greatest, you're going to pay for that privilege.
[/quote]

Yeah your right I'm not really picky, meaning like I don't need the newest this or that I just want things that are nice. Like the new Nike pants I've seen when I went to Dick's like that's something I can see myself buying brand new just because of the material seems more comfy.

Retail prices are expensive but who pays retail? I wait for sales for my clothing and they're literally like $30-$40 a polo sometimes even cheaper. They had a ton of adidas Polos for $30 and puma solid Polos this Black Friday for example. eBay is a great place to find deals as well.

Also Check out your local tj Maxx. They have Callaway Polos for like $15-$20

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

I watch for sales and take advantage. I wear my shorts out because I am always in them - so when there is a sale I will buy like 10 pair to stock up. Often this means getting the same color but that's OK - not trying to make a fashion statement.

As long as it's comfortable, fits, and doesn't look pathetic I don't care about brands. One day I am in one brand and the next day I am in another. I even have one pink pair of pants that used to be white. Turns out washing a new red t-shirt with anything white in hot water can lead to a nice statement against breast cancer.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Low3' timestamp='1448923223' post='12664386']
Hey everyone please correct me if this is the wrong place to post but I have been doing some looking around and its pretty expensive to dress "the golf of today". I remember when I was younger in high school my dad would of course buy my golfing gear and I don't remember paying $80+ for pants and $40+ for a shirt and $120+ for shoes. I just think its crazy!

So all in all I wanted to get some of my fellow WRXers to give me some advice regarding getting great gear for a better price, and to explain I love love love Nike gear and also Under Armor those are my top picks. So if you have a good spot to get those brands let me know.

Thanks.
[/quote]

If you don't mind having clothes from past seasons Ross (at least in calif) carries a lot of Nike product. Also check your TJMaxx and Marshalls. If you can handle someone elses hand me downs eBay.. I just sold a lot of 5 Nike golf shirt in Large for a whopping $13.99, that belonged to my son and he had so much stuff he had to clean out.. They were in great condition as well.

Ok, so do you guys go try them on somewhere when you buy online or do you just take the leap of faith cause for me I like a slim fitting pant. Cause for polos ill take all of the tings said and go with ebay I bought ones shirt from there and was really happy.

[quote name='Low3' timestamp='1448927614' post='12664724']
Ok, so do you guys go try them on somewhere when you buy online or do you just take the leap of faith cause for me I like a slim fitting pant. Cause for polos ill take all of the tings said and go with ebay I bought ones shirt from there and was really happy.
[/quote]

Look for places with free returns or go try on in store so you know your sizes...

:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)

[quote name='UnderPar18' timestamp='1448928556' post='12664780']
[quote name='Low3' timestamp='1448927614' post='12664724']
[/quote]

Look for places with free returns or go try on in store so you know your sizes...
[/quote]

I know its a silly question, just with pants I find myself really picky on the fit is all. But yeah I was looking around on ebay and vs retail I can save up to 60% so we got a winner boys and girls.

[quote name='prorobo' timestamp='1448929164' post='12664826']
Back in the day when I worked retail I'd go crazy with the Nike stuff since it'd be discounted. Nowadays I wait for sales or clearance or both to stock up although my golf wardrobe is overstocked and I really need to shed stuff at this point. The same goes for shoes. Never pay full retail!
[/quote]

Yeah I agree, I worked for Khols at one point and I was the same way. But now that I dont work there and dont get the awesome discounts I find myself not buying clothes in general as much. But I got lucky not to long ago with some TW shoes got 2 pairs practically brand new for 80 bucks.

It sounds like you've figured out that the interwebs are the way to go. As far as fit goes... I understand your cautiousness. If you have the opportunity, try them on in store first. Then hit the web. Either that or find a place with free returns. I think that both Nike and Puma have free returns. You can find some decent deals if you're patient at either of those places.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1448930061' post='12664886']
It sounds like you've figured out that the interwebs are the way to go. As far as fit goes... I understand your cautiousness. If you have the opportunity, try them on in store first. Then hit the web. Either that or find a place with free returns. I think that both Nike and Puma have free returns. You can find some decent deals if you're patient at either of those places.
[/quote]

Yeah, see and with ebay sometimes its like people said before, "Buy the last season" and thats all I see on ebay and that being said its like I just have to try it out and hope for the best cause most people on ebay of course dont do returns.

Also this is off topic but has anyone tried Under Armor stuff? Or Oakley?

[quote name='Low3' timestamp='1448930441' post='12664922']
[/quote]

Yeah, see and with ebay sometimes its like people said before, "Buy the last season" and thats all I see on ebay and that being said its like I just have to try it out and hope for the best cause most people on ebay of course dont do returns.

[/quote]

http://www.carlsgolfland.com/clearance/cyber-monday-deals

I don't work in the golf industry so not advertising just helping the OP. It's probably only for today (maybe?) but look at the Puma and Adidas shirts. Seems like they're all $30 which is pretty good. I'm sure there are a few new styles in your size

Oh and free returns is says... Can't go wrong

I'll say what most have said already and wait on sales to come up. I bought Adidas climacool polos for $15 each at a recent Roger Dunn demo day. I use to care about brands but now I care more about fit, comfort, feel and fabric material. Although, if you're very particular about certain fit, sometimes you gotta pay to get the right size and fit.

i always check my local DSG because they'll sometimes have a 50% off clearance deal...i've snagged past season nike shirts for as low as $10 and pants for $20

Driver:      Mizuno ST-Z 220
Irons:        Mizuno Pro 221 3-PW
Wedges:  Mizuno T22 52/9,  56/14, 60/10
Putter:      Mizuno M. Craft V Putter

I remember back when I first started driving gas was like $.60-$.70/ gallon. Man, those were the days... I wish I could buy gas online! But, I digress... Don't buy golf apparel in brick and mortar stores if you don't want to pay full retail. There's deals to be had everywhere online if you look. But, don't make your next thread "Bought a Shirt from Online Retailer "X", and Their Customer Service Sucked and it Took Two Weeks to get It!". I couldn't tell you the last time I paid full retail for golf apparel (well, yes I can- thanks alcohol for the Bob Vokey FJ shirt...), there's deals to be had everywhere at fractions of retail price. Just don't expect the retail experience when you're buying at a discount and you'll be fine.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

I don't pay full retail for anything golf clothing related (even shoes). I've always grabbed off the sale rack at my local golf store and big box store. got 4 Nike flat front tech shorts for $120 total (sale was 2 for $59 IIRC).

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

The OP's pricing is nowhere near the sharp end of pricing for golf clothing. $120 for shoes? Cheap for anything that is good.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[quote name='rgk5' timestamp='1448988853' post='12667260']
The OP's pricing is nowhere near the sharp end of pricing for golf clothing. $120 for shoes? Cheap for anything that is good.
[/quote]

My point made all over again in that post lol.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have found that most of last season's stuff fits the same as this season's. You just need to find common product lines. I could guess that the Puma slim fit pants of this season fit exactly the same as the Puma slim fit pants from last season. The same could be said for most manufacturers.

I have a wide variety of manufacturers because I buy stuff on sale. So I have a ton of UA stuff as well as a bit of Oakley. What question did you have about them?

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I'm in Canada and get my Nike clothes off the bay. Even w shipping, duties and exchange it works out cheaper

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I buy last season's apparel and shoes. $200 Adizeros can be had for $50, Climacool shirts and pants for $20 and $40 respectively. I also don't mind rotating only a handful of shirts and pants so I only purchase 3 shirts for a season as I rotate the new and older clothing depending on the course I am playing at. Pants are pants, so I will wear them until they need to be replaced.

Just like anything in golf related equipment...last year's stuff is always over 50% off.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1448990888' post='12667444']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have found that most of last season's stuff fits the same as this season's. You just need to find common product lines. I could guess that the Puma slim fit pants of this season fit exactly the same as the Puma slim fit pants from last season. The same could be said for most manufacturers.

I have a wide variety of manufacturers because I buy stuff on sale. So I have a ton of UA stuff as well as a bit of Oakley. What question did you have about them?
[/quote]

I will do some digging around as far as the beginning of the post. Also when it comes to UA and Oakley like as far as quality compared to Nike and how long it last is it equivalent?

[quote name='Low3' timestamp='1448993560' post='12667638']

I will do some digging around as far as the beginning of the post. Also when it comes to UA and Oakley like as far as quality compared to Nike and how long it last is it equivalent?
[/quote]

I've personally found that all of the "name" golf stuff is of similar quality, for the most part. Of course, I've had one or two shirts have a seam fail or some other quality control failure, but it would be a small percentage of shirts I've owned and not specific to any one manufacturer. Now, as far as fit and cut go, different brands are going to be worlds different. It seems like Puma's shirts run smaller with very slim cuts/ more athletic sleeve, shoulder, and midsection; FootJoy runs a little large to size, with longer sleeves and fuller cut; I'd say generally, I've found that UA, Oakley, Nike, Adidas all tend to fit similar, with some small differences between lines within brands. I personally tend to find that I gravitate to Adidas and Nike shirts the most, both because of style and fit. Those are my experiences with some of the more common brands.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1448995209' post='12667740']
[quote name='Low3' timestamp='1448993560' post='12667638']
[/quote]

I've personally found that all of the "name" golf stuff is of similar quality, for the most part. Of course, I've had one or two shirts have a seam fail or some other quality control failure, but it would be a small percentage of shirts I've owned and not specific to any one manufacturer. Now, as far as fit and cut go, different brands are going to be worlds different. It seems like Puma's shirts run smaller with very slim cuts/ more athletic sleeve, shoulder, and midsection; FootJoy runs a little large to size, with longer sleeves and fuller cut; I'd say generally, I've found that UA, Oakley, Nike, Adidas all tend to fit similar, with some small differences between lines within brands. I personally tend to find that I gravitate to Adidas and Nike shirts the most, both because of style and fit. Those are my experiences with some of the more common brands.
[/quote][quote name='ccorrada' timestamp='1448996170' post='12667804']
www.fairwaystyles.com always has good sales
[/quote]

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. But I think I'm going to get UA and Oakley a try. And move to buying on the bay and or here. Thanks again guys