state apparel pants--awesome

prsgtrman

just picked up my first pair of these. i didnt know they were water and windproof. i absolutely love these pants. they fit great and dont look like your typical weather pant. ive played a couple rounds in 50ish degree temps and they were a little too warm but a great pair of pants. they aint cheap but they are worth it imo. i dont have any of their other gear bc i dont care for the patterns on the shirts but they seem like a cool US based company.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the straight. Great pants. Well thought out. As to stretch, I need to know what you want/mean.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Those are nice looking pants, except for the hideous tag on the pocket and leg. Not cheap though.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

[quote name='jrharden' timestamp='1450977831' post='12759430']
So the cuff of the pant is like a double layer? It's an interesting design, I'd have to see it before I'd spend $205 on golf specific pants.
[/quote]

Not a double layer, it's a place to wipe a dirty club, or if you don't want it, you can hide it.

They stretch a little bit - not a liteweight pant, it's for temps 60 and under. If you want a promo code, pm me

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

i went with the slim, i am a 30x30 and ordered that and they fit great. not much stretch in the pants. as far as that tag on the leg you can just pull the stitching out of it and remove it. and as mentioned the cuff is kind of a double layer, just flip it up and wipe your club off if you want( i dont). i find these pants are too warm to wear in temps above 55.

You only need one pair, maybe two - but navy matches well.

Made in the USA ... support the company if you are able and like their apparel.

After washing, I would apply DWR Spray if you want more water resistance.

And I wore these last night so...

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Most all golf pants are now made with some level of stretch for all the bending involved in golf. Very surprised a $205 pair of pants wasn't designed to include a feature like that. I would venture to say that most golfers would use and benefit from the stretch much moreso than having fabric to wipe their club on. I bit and ordered a pair with the discount, but the more I've read in this thread the less excited I am about receiving them. Hopefully this will change once I receive them and wear them the 1st time.

The price doesn't bother me, but I'm not a fan of the accents/tag. I like to see companies trying to do their own thing.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

I don't have any issues playing golf in State Apparel pants. They were designed by golfers for golfers. Sooooo....

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Yellow tags just scream "Ray Cook". Save yourself $160.

http://www.ems.com/ems-mens-compass-pants/1285144.html

Professional looks. Nylon+spandex for stretch. Super light, yet blocks the wind well. Only beef is that they don't come in black.

Nike Vapor Fly Pro
Cobra BiO Cell 3W, 3H
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW
Callaway MD2 T-grind 54.11, 58.9
Scotty Select Newport 2, SS Fatso 5.0

And I thought I was a metrosexual... but nooooooo.

:taunt:

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

[quote name='4puttJohnny' timestamp='1451352881' post='12773722']
Most all golf pants are now made with some level of stretch for all the bending involved in golf. Very surprised a $205 pair of pants wasn't designed to include a feature like that. I would venture to say that most golfers would use and benefit from the stretch much moreso than having fabric to wipe their club on. I bit and ordered a pair with the discount, but the more I've read in this thread the less excited I am about receiving them. Hopefully this will change once I receive them and wear them the 1st time.
[/quote]

It's cold out, I am wearing mine, and did my regular golf stretches - high kicks, hip stretches, leg stretches, etc. No issues - they stretch. I can't do those stretches in jeans and other pants without restriction. The State Apparel pants do not restrict so while they may not stretch like a freakin' rubber band, they are not restricting.

Like many things on this board, people panic, rise up in seizure, won't spend money (which is their right) on some apparel. I mean, oh my gosh, I bought some Galvin Green. How foolish of me. And I was a kickstarter on State Apparel, meaning I get 30% off. Still pricey, but it's good made in the USA apparel.

For guys who smack their heads at pants at $140-160, it's cool. If you don't want to spend the $$$, that's fine. I find golf pants on eBay. But don't go juvenile because a pair of pants are pricey. Everyone's different.

For others, all you might want is one pair for bad weather. If you want 30% off, pm me, and I will give the code to anyone up to 5 people, who pm me.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

My basic question was finally amswered today when I received my pants. They have Spandex, although not as much as the Nike Weatherized. The overall material feels and sounds more like a plastic rain pant when I walked in them. Will give a full review after my round tomorrow in low 40 degree temps and 20 mph winds.

Ok, was able to get out and play in these for the first time today. Weather conditions: 38 at 1st tee, 42 when done; cloudy almost the entire time with NW winds at 10-15 mph. Full disclosure: I had my UA 3.0 leggings and Thorlo basketball socks on underneath the SA pants.

[u][b]DISCLAIMER:[/b][/u] Following are simply MY THOUGHTS on these pants. The comments are not aimed at anyone other than my feelings about these, so no reason to get offended if my assessments agree/disagree with your experience. I will make comments and comparison to my favorite winter pants: Nike Weatherized.

First off, I ordered the Sand color and it indeed is similar to the color shown on the SA website. It's not a beige and it's not a light stone color. It's a nice shade that looks good with all of my Windlite sweaters and sweatervests (I have 16). I ordered the Straight, not slim (just my personal preference), in my standard size waist and inseam, and they fit perfectly. One quick note: IMHO the fit of these are more along the lines of a shorter rise pant, almost jeans like. I say that so if you're accustomed to the longer rise in regular dress pants, you won't be surprised if you have to order these without trying on a pair. the straight model has a nice hang to the legs that aren't too wide nor too narrow for me (I'm basically HWP), and I was really pleased with the look. Overall these look really sharp and I received numerous compliments at the course as well as the grocery store on the way home.

The pants are 94% polyester and 6% spandex. These pants do not feel or sound like the Nike Weatherized, which are 91% polyester and 9% spandex. The SA's make a noise, almost like a rain pant, when walking compared with the Nike Weatherized which make no sound and feel a lot more "spongy/stretchy" to me. It's not necessarily good/bad or better/worse, just different. I love the stretch in the Nike Weatherized (probably because I'm always finding ways to end up in ackward lies that cause me to contort my body into weird positions to hit shots.......but I digress). The SA's do have spandex and they do stretch some, which I liked. And, despite the fact they had the rain pant noise, these look nothing like rain pants from afar. VERY nice looking.

The construction of these pants are pretty impressive to and untrained apparel guy like me, maybe it wouldn't be to a professional like Chili. But the zipper and sewing in these appear to be of high quality. You know what it's like to get a cheap pair of pants with a zipper that seems to halfway zip and forces you to grab both sides of the flaps to get it even so the zipper works? Not that way here. These are as smooth as they come, much like high end and custom dress pants I've worn in the past. The pockets are lined pretty thickly with the same type of ball cleaning material on the sides of the pockets. The pockets are not too deep, not to shallow. Really well thought out in my opinion. And, the thickness stopped the "bleed through" of water/dirt I usually get from sticking a ball in my pocket during early morning rounds.

Overall pant weight was in line with the Nike Weatherized, not too thick nor thin for my tastes. They are definitely much thicker than my Nike Dri Fit flat fronts and UA Match Plays that I wear during the spring. As I stated, I wore these today with UA 3.0 leggings and I was relatively toasty the entire round, almost too much at times in spite of 10-15 NW winds with no sun. The windproofing or whatever these have definitely worked. Looking back now, I wish I would have just worn these with no UA 3.0 leggings so that I could have seen if the pants alone would have been sufficient in the cold weather today. Similar to other comments in various threads, I believe these may be a little too toasty in higher temps like the 60s but everyone's body is different.

Ok, now the bad. The ball cleaning lining that falls below the bottom of the pant legs looks really, really cheesy to me. I've played more than 100 rounds a year for more than 25 years and I don't think I've every seen anyone clean their clubs with their pant legs, so I just think (once again, MY personal opinion) this was just a cheesy, unnecessary add on that "cheapens" the look. I'm not convinced many golfers are actually looking for a feature like that or wanting to pay excess for a feature like that. The good news is that you can fold the excess material under the leg opening easily, so I guess "no harm, no foul" with that ability.

[u][b]OVERALL:[/b][/u] I really liked these. A lot. I had been looking for a winter tan/khaki pant since the Nike Weatherized are just in Black, Grey and the Khaki Cargo (that looks green to me). I REALLY LOVE the Nike Weatherized and the fact that I paid under $50 on sale for the Nike's the past 3 years has really made me appreciate them since they perform so well. The $205 is certainly a price well above most of the comparable products in this segment (I'm sure the owners would argue they are in a different segment, so I'm just using my own classifications). I only bought these with the 30% discount. I couldn't see myself ordering another color for $205, but I would definitely order another pair with the same discount. I personally think the Nike Weatherized are better functionally with the additional stretch and no noise, but these are definitely more stylish. Anyway, just my thoughts!

^^^^

Appreciate the review. I share the same opinion, but frankly, I did not notice any noise until you pointed it out.

Haven't used the club cleaning option at the bottom of the hem that you can pull out. I have worn them about town and hidden the gray cleaning area when the temps were in the 30-40's. Wore them in 60 F temps and below but without thermals and was comfy - not too toasty probably because of the 15 mph winds and damp air. I have two pair - gray and navy, bought at nice discounts, and they go with the shirts purchased in the kickstarter.

Shirts are high quality too, and made for cooler temps - I went mostly the conservative route - Pacific Blue, Cardinal Red polos, but threw in a grey and a blue with the design. If you're throwing a sweater or paclite over them, the design doesn't matter. I like them but then I don't mind being loud, although I do need more game to play in them. lol.

I frankly bought the line because it's tough to find apparel for colder temps that is functional and looks good - and when you find them, they tend to be ... expensive. So buy once. Made in the USA was a selling point for me. I also plan to play in the Northwest eventually, so I wanted bad weather gear for the future. At least that is the reasoning.

I've washed the pants a couple of times - after a wash and dry, the DWR needs renewing. Easy stuff to find, and if you have rain gear, you need DWR anyway. Good luck.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

I didn't get the pants, but did get the 1/4 zip pullover. Great material and workmanship. However, I found it to be short in the torso. Now, I am generally hard to fit off the rack (broad shoulders, long arms) but I rarely find tops that barely cover my belt. YMMV.

I also have a code for 30% off. PM me and would be happy to share.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee