FairwayFred's WITB Pic thread

Comments

• PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,655 ✭✭

Looks so clean with the paint fill stripped. Amazed that I'm looking at a Carbon head given the even patina.

Sent Patrick a probatory email yesterday regarding a short set of NCW irons. Really intrigued by your paired playing lengths. Would you be willing to comment on the thought process behind the decision and the results that you are seeing? How is ball flight and distance gapping. Contemplating matching the lengths of my PW/9 and 8/7. Also may add 6/5 iron. Have always played variable length irons.

The idea behind the pair lengths was to limit the number of "postures" I had to learn. I believe it lessens one variable. I got the idea from Bobby Jones 1930 grand slam winning set. The ball flight and distance gapping is ideal when I got them I hit a bunch of balls on trackman and bent them to where I needed them to get the gaps I wanted. Didn't have to change them much from my initial specs. I'm extremely happy with them and am making another set w the same lengths.

I'm so intrigued by the concept, but have only carried variable length sets. Part of me is scared to deviate from what I already know. Much to think about with a truly custom set of clubs.

I missed the boat with Scratch, want to be a passenger this time aroud.
    Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • WardonationWardonation Members Posts: 1,375 ✭✭

ianraybon wrote:

Be carful of "neck weight"... I had Raybon make me a #7 with plumbers neck and it was awesome. But sweet spot was way towards the heel and could not get my launch right with it.

Appreciate the feedback Jeff, definitely something i will look into, or bear in mind, when combining that head/hosel. But, i must ask.. was this before, or after an employee at a Taylormade Fitting Centre bent it every which way possible? - it arrived back with us with the lie angle altered by 3° and negative 2° loft image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />

I've said it before on this forum, Wardo was absolutely the worst customer we ever dealt with in 13+ years of Scratch Golf. After a while literally all of my employees refused to work with him anymore. So much so that we have refused to work with him on project through NCW. I won't even get into it any further but I was surprised to see him post in my WITB thread and benefit of the doubt goes to Ian Raybon here 100% based on what I've seen of his craftsmanship and what I know about Wardo.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....
    ? I sent my Scratch head to you to make me another one just like it. It was and still is the best wedge I have ever had. A matter of fact I have purchased 8 Scratch wedges and two sets of irons with no issues. The problem was you could not match your own stock grind. I do appreciate how you guys tried three times for me but were never even close. It did not suprise me that Scratch failed at all.. No clean business plan you tried changing business model 3 times? Anyways, if that made me a horrible customer so be it...
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 3,983 ✭✭
    edited Jul 17, 2018 #154

ianraybon wrote:

Be carful of "neck weight"... I had Raybon make me a #7 with plumbers neck and it was awesome. But sweet spot was way towards the heel and could not get my launch right with it.

Appreciate the feedback Jeff, definitely something i will look into, or bear in mind, when combining that head/hosel. But, i must ask.. was this before, or after an employee at a Taylormade Fitting Centre bent it every which way possible? - it arrived back with us with the lie angle altered by 3° and negative 2° loft image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />

I've said it before on this forum, Wardo was absolutely the worst customer we ever dealt with in 13+ years of Scratch Golf. After a while literally all of my employees refused to work with him anymore. So much so that we have refused to work with him on project through NCW. I won't even get into it any further but I was surprised to see him post in my WITB thread and benefit of the doubt goes to Ian Raybon here 100% based on what I've seen of his craftsmanship and what I know about Wardo.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....
    ? I sent my Scratch head to you to make me another one just like it. It was and still is the best wedge I have ever had. A matter of fact I have purchased 8 Scratch wedges and two sets of irons with no issues. The problem was you could not match your own stock grind. I do appreciate how you guys tried three times for me but were never even close. It did not suprise me that Scratch failed at all.. No clean business plan you tried changing business model 3 times? Anyways, if that made me a horrible customer so be it...

LOL Wardo.....

How many times to we have to go over this? You sent us a wedge that was heavily modified by someone (you I assume) who didn't really know what they were doing. It was not a stock grind. (if it was a stock grind you could have just purchased another stock wedge instead of a hand made copy) We copied it for you over and over. You were always very quick to berate and complain but never could tell us what was exactly wrong with each wedge. It was like asking someone how they liked the wine and them saying it was too grape-y.

You were the most rude, beligerant, obnoxious, unreasonable and horrible customer any of us ever had to deal with. Every single person that had to deal with you refused to deal with you again after their interaction with you. I distinctly remember you screaming at one of the guys that worked for me while he was in the hospital because he didn't have your specs on hand (I happened to be there visiting him at the time).

That's just one of the many horror stories. Don White's work was good enough for Jack Nicklaus (and countless other Tour players) but not Wardo. Jeff McCoy's work was good enough for Cristie Kerr (and countless other Tour players) but not Wardo. You are awful to deal with and National Custom Works or any other business I am ever a part of will NEVER work with you. Truly not interested in your uneducated opinion on Scratch or anything else. I know I am not alone in that statement either when it comes to people in this industry. There's a long list that runs when they hear your name. Even if I had a momentary lapse of judgement and agreed to work with you on a project both Jeff and Don would refuse to make clubs for you and Patrick would dissolve our partnership. There's no excuse for treating people the way you do.

Every business at its core is there to make money but some people are not worth dealing with no matter the money. You are the definition of one of those people. Please go away and troll somewhere else........
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
    New hybrid in the bag.
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
    edited Jul 22, 2018 #156
    New driver and 3+ testing.

In the bag for round tomorrow:

10.5 Callaway Rogue w VA Drago 55

13 Ping G400 Stretch 3+ w Diamana Thump 75

17.5 Tour Edge Exotics EX10 Beta 4w w Diamana Thump 75

21 Titleist Tour Issue 915F 7w w Diamana Thump 85

21 Titleist 818H1 w Aerotech Steelfiber 80

5-6 Taylormade p790 w Accra icwt 95

7-P National Custom Works w Accra icwt 95

52 National Custom Works w Accra icwt 105

58 National Custom Works w Accra icwt 105

Ian Raybon Copper Heavy Mallet
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
  • EaglesGolf99EaglesGolf99 (.... Formerly Known As RaidersGolf99) Foxboro, MAMembers Posts: 2,362 ✭✭

..... And I thought my bag was a mixed bag!! :-)

You really like those Thumps? First day I was like, "Yea, good shaft, could work..." I never uttered those words again.

Now. I just double backed to your post, our bags actually are still similar. Especially from 5 Iron down to Putter.

I am very eager to hear your reply of the Ping G400 Stretch.
    2017 WORLD CHAMPION
    PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

W. I. T. B.

Callaway Epic Flash 9.0° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 X
    Callaway TC Rogue 4 17.0° HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 X
    Callaway TC Apex 2H 18.0° Tour Spec Speeder 904HB X
    Callaway TC Apex 4H 23.0° Tour Spec Speeder 904HB X
    Callaway X-Forged UT 27.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Callaway X-Forged UT 30.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 CB-57 7-8 Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 Baby Blade 9-P Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura Hand Grind Raw 52.0° / 10.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura Hand Grind Raw 58.0° / 10.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 KM-350 Soft Black DGTI Black Smoke S-400
    Callaway 2018 Chrome Soft X
  • dalton044dalton044 St. LouisMembers Posts: 938 ✭✭

New driver and 3+ testing.

In the bag for round tomorrow:

10.5 Callaway Rogue w VA Drago 55

13 Ping G400 Stretch 3+ w Diamana Thump 75

21 Titleist Tour Issue 915F 7w w Diamana Thump 85

21 Titleist 818H1 w Aerotech Steelfiber 80

5-6 Taylormade p790 w Accra icwt 95

7-P National Custom Works w Accra icwt 95

52 National Custom Works w Accra icwt 105

58 National Custom Works w Accra icwt 105

Ian Raybon Copper Heavy Mallet

How is that G400 stretch combo. I love a lower lofted 3 wood and I've had my eye on the G400
    -TS3 9.5 Aldila Green Mamba 60TX
    -Tour Issue 16' M2 DF 16.5 Tour AD-TP 7S
    -818H2 21* AD-DI 85S
    -4-PW X Forged TI S400
    -48,53,58 SM7 TI S400
    -Scotty Cameron X5 Flow Neck
    I really like the Thumps in the fwys. Been using them for atleast 2 years.

Only 1 round w the stretch so far and it wasn't my home course so not sure yet. Promising results on the range but I need to make sure I can carry it far enough off the deck for it to work. My home course has long, hard par 5s I need to be able to hit off the deck into the wind especially.
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
    Btw changed out the shaft in the driver to a Project X Tour 52 which is always a shaft that works for me. I hit the Drago well but seem to miss a little high on the face which is rare for me. That shot doesn't go as far as id like. Want to see if it's the shaft or not and the PX52 is a great baseline shaft for me that almost always works well.
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
    edited Aug 2, 2018 #161
    Old irons back in the bag for now. Also testing more putters. One new and one old favorite.
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
  • BunkersarebigcupsBunkersarebigcups Posts: 536 ✭✭
    Would love to hear some thoughts on the Tyne H.

Seen it in a lot of players bags recently but never had a chance to try it
    910 D2 9.5     RIP Alpha 60 Stiff (Surefit @B3)
    '14 Big Bertha 18*     Fubuki Z65 Stiff (set at 17* neutral)
    Nike VR Hybrid 21* and 24*     Aldila Voodoo Regular
    MP 52 5-PW     PX 5.5
    MP T11 52/07, 56/13, 60/05     DG S200
    Mizuno/Bettinardi BC1
    Bridgestone B330 RX
  • LanglandsLanglands ScotlandMembers Posts: 1,934 ✭✭
    Some amazing clubs in this thread, thanks for sharing all of the pictures. The National Custom irons are gorgeous.
    Callaway XR 10.5
    Adams Tight Lies 2 5W
    Callaway 3h
    Mizuno MP Fli-HI 4
    Snake Eyes 600B 6,8
    Vokey 48
    Mizuno MPT Raw Haze 56
    Ping Darby
    Some more major changes coming.

Ping G400 MAX 9*

New shafts for irons and wedges......
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
  • easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a Ho DetroitRules Official, Administrator Posts: 12,278 admin
    Not surprising there is going to be a few changes. What shoes and bag please???
    easyyy wrote:

Not surprising there is going to be a few changes. What shoes and bag please???

What are you trying to say!?! (*cough* HO)

Shoes depend on the day of course.

Pics coming of my Elliot bags.
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
    edited Aug 6, 2018 #167
    Pics of my 2 Elliot bags. Have another one on order....

WITB for my Scotland trip that I leave on tomorrow.......

9* Ping g400 MAX w VA Composite Drago 55

13* Ping g400 Stretch 3w w Diamana Thump 75

21* Titleist Tour Issue 915F 7w w Diamana Thump 85

21* Titleist 818 H1 w Aerotech Steel Fiber 80

5i Taylormade p790 w TT XP 95

6-P National Custom Works Raw DW Hand crafted MBs w Shimada Tour Lite

52* National Custom Works Raw DW w Accra icwt 105

58* National Custom Works Raw DW w Accra icwt 105

Bringing both my Copper Byron Morgan Handmade Widebody putter and Ping Sigma G Tyne H. Putter shaft is Breakthrough Golf Technologies Stability
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,024 ✭✭
    Enjoy Scotland!
    Callaway Gbb Epic Forged 9.5°
    TM M2 DF 16.5° 
    Honma TW737 FWc 21° 
    TM RSI UDI 3 
    TM 2011 MC Onset 4-PW
    Cobra King Pur 54°/ Vokey Proto 60°
    TW Ardmore
    edited Aug 5, 2018 #169

Enjoy Scotland!

Thank you! My family is coming with me planning to play with my son every day while my wife and daughter walk with us or on the beach. It is my kids first trip out of the country. I cannot wait!
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
    edited Aug 5, 2018 #170
    Pics

Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
    Ping Tyne H in the bag. Rolling it very well. Even set the course record at the Campbeltown putting course earlier today. Haha
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
    edited Aug 14, 2018 #172
    Heck of a trip......

My 8 year old son just made a hole in one on the 5th at Machrahanish Dunes.......
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,424 ClubWRX
    Love the Scratch Byron Morgan prototype!
    Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Miura 52* GW S-200
    Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • JohnnieDanvilleJohnnieDanville ClubWRX Posts: 50 ClubWRX
    Nice clubs but I NEED a blade version of that Sweetens putter cover...
  • DE-ILLINIDE-ILLINI Members Posts: 322 ✭✭
    Great bag. Love the headcovers.
    Driver: Taylormade M3
    4W: Ping G15
    3H & 4H: Cobra Baffler
    5 - SW: Ping G25
    58*: Cleveland CBX
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,655 ✭✭
    As a proud father of an 8 year old Peanut I can only image how exciting that moment must have been for all involved.

Happy to read that you had a 'heck of a trip' Ari.
    Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • dan360dan360 Paisano Members Posts: 5,278 ✭✭
    Can't help but notice that TEE has been hangin around for a while.

Sweet.
    in rehab for back surgery #3.....
  • BestGripsBestGrips Reformed Club Ho.... Sponsors Posts: 771 ✭✭
    What do you think of the Max? I've got 2 rounds with one and am pretty content so far.
    WITB:
    9* G400 Max w/ Xcalibur TSL Tour Stiff and Custom MicroPerf Golf Grip
    14* Callaway XR 16 Pro w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Red 75 6.0 and Custom Christmas Golf Grip
    3-GW Edel SLS-01 w/ Paderson SL 95g Stiff and alternating Patriotic and Augusta Leather Golf Grips
    55* Edel Come and Take It TRP Handmade w/ KBS Tour Wedge Stiff and Come and Take It Golf Grip
    59* Edel PNR Handmade w/ KBS Tour Wedge Stiff and Augusta Leather Golf Grip
    Artisan Golf #0036 0217 w/ Zach Use Only Putter Grip or 0318 w/ Prototype Leather Putter Grip

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]BestGrips is a second generation, underdog golf company making genuine leather golf grips, putter grips, Puttershoes[/font]® [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]and headcovers in the US of A. We are big fans of one off custom work and not afraid of hard work. In the market for game changing grips that combine new with old, performance with looks, and are made right here in the US of A? Then look no further than [/font]BestGrips.com! Follow us on twitter - [twitter]bestgrips[/twitter]!

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Use coupon code "wrx15" at checkout on www.bestgrips.com and get 15% off. [/font]

All grips and headcovers are handmade in Conroe, Texas.
  • EaglesGolf99EaglesGolf99 (.... Formerly Known As RaidersGolf99) Foxboro, MAMembers Posts: 2,362 ✭✭
    The Ping Max must not have behaved on its trip to Scotland! .....

.... The man has a new driver en route to Michigan!
    2017 WORLD CHAMPION
    PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

W. I. T. B.

Callaway Epic Flash 9.0° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 X
    Callaway TC Rogue 4 17.0° HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 X
    Callaway TC Apex 2H 18.0° Tour Spec Speeder 904HB X
    Callaway TC Apex 4H 23.0° Tour Spec Speeder 904HB X
    Callaway X-Forged UT 27.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Callaway X-Forged UT 30.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 CB-57 7-8 Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 Baby Blade 9-P Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura Hand Grind Raw 52.0° / 10.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura Hand Grind Raw 58.0° / 10.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 KM-350 Soft Black DGTI Black Smoke S-400
    Callaway 2018 Chrome Soft X
    edited Aug 14, 2018 #180

The Ping Max must not have behaved on its trip to Scotland! .....

.... The man has a new driver en route to Michigan!

Hahaha actually the MAX was great in Scotland I'm just that much of a HO I guess!!!

The MAX is shockingly forgiving. I got into a car accident in June and my hip has been injured. My swing hasn't been good this summer and the MAX gets in into the fairway a good distance more than any other driver I have. That said I'm getting better and it will have a battle on its hands w my JBeam and the new JDM Epic Star.....
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
    edited Aug 31, 2018 #181

Nice clubs but I NEED a blade version of that Sweetens putter cover...

Something like this?

Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)