2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Scotty Cameron Tour Putters Question

imsurokim

Hello,

I am pretty sure there is good summary of all different Tour Putter comparison chart, but I just cannot find it.

I am thinking about trying one of thoes fancy putters, but very new to Scotty Cameron community, so I just want to know what are the difference between GSS, SSS, 009, Circle T, Tour RAT.. and so on.. Can anyone explain, or show me the link where I can find these information?

Thanks a lot.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='imsurokim' timestamp='1451417520' post='12776376']
Hello,

I am pretty sure there is good summary of all different Tour Putter comparison chart, but I just cannot find it.
I am thinking about trying one of thoes fancy putters, but very new to Scotty Cameron community, so I just want to know what are the difference between GSS, SSS, 009, Circle T, Tour RAT.. and so on.. Can anyone explain, or show me the link where I can find these information?

Thanks a lot.
[/quote]
Wait...

So you're ready to drop thousands of dollars but you don't know what "GSS, SSS, 009, Circle T, Tour Rat" etc are?

[quote name='Scotty1140' timestamp='1451417868' post='12776406']
Hello,

Thanks a lot.
[/quote]
Wait...

So you're ready to drop thousands of dollars but you don't know what "GSS, SSS, 009, Circle T, Tour Rat" etc are?
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='jrich61820' timestamp='1451420961' post='12776644']
Someone has to much $ ......
[/quote]Ya know-I was thinking that too. But then I thought about it and compared to others on these forums. You have forged Vokey's and an 009. To some that would be too much to spend on wedges or a putter. I have a driver with a Matrix shaft that I like. [u]I could not begin to tell you about the graphite construction[/u], but it works for me. Other guys rave about PXG equipment without knowing how the new technology works. So bottom line-if ya know a lot more about Cameron than I do then help the guy out rather than making fun of him.

Flame away!

OP-welcome to the forum.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Hello,

Thanks a lot.
[/quote]

I will bite.. I like to hear myself talk.

GSS... German Stainless Steel... will run you 5k+
SSS... Stainless Steel.... 2800k+... some say it's 'surgical stainless steel', others say Scotty added an S because people were stamping his "SS" putters with a G to sell them as GSS putters
009 is a headshape.... you can tell the difference between this and the newport with some subtle and not so subtle differences... biggest difference is the cavity is not rounded... has 'ears'. Probably the most coveted model right now.
CT... Circle T, used on tour, made for tour
Tour Rat... basically an 009 with other stamps on it but will sell for less than an SSS 009... Rats are SSS putters.

you will pay more for rare stamps and certain finishes.

You will not, however, putt better with these putters. They are simply priced higher because of the name. "OTR CT" putters (NP and NP2) will run a bit less than the 009's and Rat's since there is really nothing rare about them other than they have a CT shaft band and CT stamp.... probably can get these for 900-1200

There is a lot more to go on about
You can use the search function for more info

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1451422313' post='12776750'][quote name='imsurokim' timestamp='1451417520' post='12776376']
Hello,

Thanks a lot.
[/quote]

SSS... Stainless Steel.... 2800k+... some say it's 'surgical stainless steel', others say Scotty added an S because people were stamping his "SS" putters with a G to sell them as GSS putters
009 is a headshape.... you can tell the difference between this and the newport with some subtle and not so subtle differences... biggest difference is the cavity is not rounded... has 'ears'. Probably the most coveted model right now.
Tour Rat... basically an 009 with other stamps on it but will sell for less than an SSS 009... Rats are SSS putters.

You will not, however, putt better with these putters. They are simply priced higher because of the name. "OTR CT" putters (NP and NP2) will run a bit less than the 009's and Rat's since there is really nothing rare about them other than they have a CT shaft band and CT stamp.... probably can get these for 900-1200

You can use the search function for more info[/quote]
Well said Joe, I just didn't want to spend my time typing all that up ;)

Titleist 915D2 PX Hzrdous Yellow 63G Stiff
Titleist 915F15 Diamanna Stiff
Titleist 915H 19 Aldila Rouge Stiff
712 CB/MB PX 6.0 (4-PW)
Cold Forged Vokey Wedges (52,56,60) S200
Richards RT-1 Tour Hand Stamped 1of1

I bought a GSS Newport II in 2007. Nice putter feel wise compared to SS putters. Has the big red dots red alignment dot, circle T, 350 gram. Got it for $5,800 at the time. Little did I know until I had it authenticated, it had a rare vertical Scotty Cameron stamping on the face. I regularly get offered low to mid 5 figures for it. I keep it because it is rare not a wonderful putter (I have two dalehead pings are that are "better" putters) results wise.

As joey2aces explained there is a wide variety when it comes to Cameron tour putters. It all comes down to what you like to look at and what makes you happy having in your bag. As stated its not going to make you a better putter but if you like having that look it's worth it. I've had them all and to me there are a couple different sections of Cameron tour putters. There is the "circle t's" which are pretty much just an OTR model with circle t on them. Then you get into the rats concept 1 and concept 2 which is essentially a 009 and timeless without the hand stamping. These will all be SSS but you can find them in different neck styles and face milling which will add more. 1500-2500. Then there is the super rat which has a gss insert and is very popular. The 009 is one of the hottest around and is a classic. These in my opinion are worth the money due to different head materials and milling you can't really get OTR. There is carbon and SSS again this all depends on you and which feel you prefer. They go from mild plain carbon to crazy finish stampings SSS, gss, bbc, cup. Then there is the timeless(np2) which is same as 009 as far as stamping's finish and milling goes you can find whatever you want. Only difference is head shape. Then you get into gss which can be 3500(330g)-10000(350g)
Just depends on stamping and finish. Honestly don't just buy one to say you have a tour putter. Do your research there are plenty of good places online to see all the different ones out there pick what you like head shape finish material etc. and hunt for that one. Half the fun is searching for that one your after. Good luck and have patience.

[quote name='Scotty1140' timestamp='1451417868' post='12776406']
Hello,

Thanks a lot.
[/quote]
Wait...

[/quote]
We all have to start somewhere, we aren't just born with this knowledge. I understand this thread has probably come up many times before and can be annoying to those who frequently visit the forum. It is possible that thousands of dollars aren't expensive to this guy. Lets cut him a little slack.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

Ahh but you can't get a 009 in off the rack specks. The head is slightly larger.

And if you're like me (a lefty) there is no OTR beached Newport design available in 350g in black pearl.

Do you r research and take your time.

If you want a gamer figure out exactly what you want and need. If you're collecting just remember, they're are worse things you could spend your cash on.

[quote name='Matt J' timestamp='1451439714' post='12778044'][quote name='jrich61820' timestamp='1451420961' post='12776644']
Someone has to much $ ......
[/quote]

Or maybe someone has too little?[/quote]
If your referring to me, I've bought and sold 3 009 Cameron's in the last 12 months, $ isn't an issue for me.
What I was referring to, and I'll admitt, I was being a smart donkey, was the OP's willingness to drop $$$$ on something he knew NOTHING about.

Titleist 915D2 PX Hzrdous Yellow 63G Stiff
Titleist 915F15 Diamanna Stiff
Titleist 915H 19 Aldila Rouge Stiff
712 CB/MB PX 6.0 (4-PW)
Cold Forged Vokey Wedges (52,56,60) S200
Richards RT-1 Tour Hand Stamped 1of1

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1451432242' post='12777504']
I bought a GSS Newport II in 2007. Nice putter feel wise compared to SS putters. Has the big red dots red alignment dot, circle T, 350 gram. Got it for $5,800 at the time. Little did I know until I had it authenticated, it had a rare vertical Scotty Cameron stamping on the face. I regularly get offered low to mid 5 figures for it. I keep it because it is rare not a wonderful putter (I have two dalehead pings are that are "better" putters) results wise.
[/quote]

Any pics of it?

Joey hit it right on the head.

One piece of advice I'll give you is to not get trigger happy and just buy something to buy it. It's just like a relationship with your lady if you force yourself to love it, things won't work out in the long run! LOL

Keep doing research and be patient. Trust me, when you find the one that is for you, you will know it right away.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[quote name='Scotty1140' timestamp='1451417868' post='12776406'][quote name='imsurokim' timestamp='1451417520' post='12776376']

I am thinking about trying one of thoes fancy putters, but very new to Scotty Cameron community, so I just want to know what are the difference between GSS, SSS, 009, Circle T, Tour RAT.. and so on..
[/quote]
Wait...

So you're ready to drop thousands of dollars but you don't know what "GSS, SSS, 009, Circle T, Tour Rat" etc are?[/quote]

No...... I am thinking about trying one... I don't have that much money...

Ahh... I think there was huge misunderstanding on my original post. I haven't bought any of those putters yet. I don't have that much money to drop thousands of dollars to something I know nothing about. I am thinking about buying one so I wanted to know the difference between those putters.. It's my fault not searched enough, I will keep looking and searching forum.

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1451422313' post='12776750'][quote name='imsurokim' timestamp='1451417520' post='12776376']
Hello,

Thanks a lot.
[/quote]

You can use the search function for more info[/quote]

Love your summary. This is exactly what I was looking for. Just quick guide that I can get general idea about these putters. Thank you so much.

[quote name='Dmaxking' timestamp='1451439097' post='12777998']As joey2aces explained there is a wide variety when it comes to Cameron tour putters. It all comes down to what you like to look at and what makes you happy having in your bag. As stated its not going to make you a better putter but if you like having that look it's worth it. I've had them all and to me there are a couple different sections of Cameron tour putters. There is the "circle t's" which are pretty much just an OTR model with circle t on them. Then you get into the rats concept 1 and concept 2 which is essentially a 009 and timeless without the hand stamping. These will all be SSS but you can find them in different neck styles and face milling which will add more. 1500-2500. Then there is the super rat which has a gss insert and is very popular. The 009 is one of the hottest around and is a classic. These in my opinion are worth the money due to different head materials and milling you can't really get OTR. There is carbon and SSS again this all depends on you and which feel you prefer. They go from mild plain carbon to crazy finish stampings SSS, gss, bbc, cup. Then there is the timeless(np2) which is same as 009 as far as stamping's finish and milling goes you can find whatever you want. Only difference is head shape. Then you get into gss which can be 3500(330g)-10000(350g)
Just depends on stamping and finish. Honestly don't just buy one to say you have a tour putter. Do your research there are plenty of good places online to see all the different ones out there pick what you like head shape finish material etc. and hunt for that one. Half the fun is searching for that one your after. Good luck and have patience.[/quote]

Thanks for the write up. It helped a lot.

[quote name='imsurokim' timestamp='1451484021' post='12779598']
[quote name='Scotty1140' timestamp='1451417868' post='12776406'][quote name='imsurokim' timestamp='1451417520' post='12776376']
I am thinking about trying one of thoes fancy putters, but very new to Scotty Cameron community, so I just want to know what are the difference between GSS, SSS, 009, Circle T, Tour RAT.. and so on..
[/quote]
Wait...

So you're ready to drop thousands of dollars but you don't know what "GSS, SSS, 009, Circle T, Tour Rat" etc are?[/quote]

[/quote]

The implication here is that the Circle T's and out TOUR putters are generally at least a grand.

There are a bunch of older SC putters with similar heads to many of the FTUO putters that can be bought in the 4 to 8 hundred dollar range. Check older Newports, Mil-Specs, and TeI3 on Ebay.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider investing in a tour putter for a gamer without knowing I was in love with the head, weight, hosel, stamps, finish, etc.

If you're buying to "collect" and flip that's totally different if you're not going to take it on the course. I'm not a collector of anything so I couldn't help you there, but definitely read up on the Certificate of Authenticity and check the database for any putter that costs more than you would want to lose.

Buy OTR's until you know exactly what you want. Older OTR's with custom finish and Custom Shop stamps are awesome gamers.

[quote name='Matt J' timestamp='1451494445' post='12780258']
[quote name='imsurokim' timestamp='1451484021' post='12779598']
[/quote]
Wait...

[/quote]

The implication here is that the Circle T's and out TOUR putters are generally at least a grand.

There are a bunch of older SC putters with similar heads to many of the FTUO putters that can be bought in the 4 to 8 hundred dollar range. Check older Newports, Mil-Specs, and TeI3 on Ebay.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider investing in a tour putter for a gamer without knowing I was in love with the head, weight, hosel, stamps, finish, etc.

If you're buying to "collect" and flip that's totally different if you're not going to take it on the course. I'm not a collector of anything so I couldn't help you there, but definitely read up on the Certificate of Authenticity and check the database for any putter that costs more than you would want to lose.

Buy OTR's until you know exactly what you want. Older OTR's with custom finish and Custom Shop stamps are awesome gamers.
[/quote]

Now, I'm getting better idea about scotty putters. I guess those Master's edition, My girls, H-15 are just limited edition comparing to circle T, 009, are more for tour use. Thanks for the explanation. I am currently using Odyssey black series tour design cut it down to 31.5 inch and some lead tape on the bottom, I don't want to cut expensive putter and use them as a gamer. I was originally looking for collecting. But it seems like it is much more complicated than I thought it would be. Need to study more..

Check out The Cameron Collector website. Sometimes it takes them awhile to approve new members, but it's worth the wait.

I don't know how many of these things really appreciate very much, but I guess it's possible. I've noticed the very high end putters always sell for very close to their asking price. The guys and gals that have these can afford them and the guys and gals that buy them can afford them, so there isn't a lot of wrangling. Most of the ones on Ebay are way overpriced and guys are just hoping for a lark. At least the lefty ones, as I don't look at the righty putters much.

One of my friends is a big Scotty Cameron fan and he was telling me about a Circle L he saw a few years back. Look that one up!

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1451422313' post='12776750']
Hello,

Thanks a lot.
[/quote]

You can use the search function for more info
[/quote]
wait...what ?????? Scotty himself told me...actually GUARANTEED me...that I'd put WAY BETTER with his more expensive putters !!! :russian_roulette:

Do the research and listen to yourself. If you can't afford it then don't get one, play an OTR Scotty or a Bettinardi or whatever.

My first putter was a Bettinardi Hogan BHB5-SS and it was then best damn thing I ever played and I owned it twice and sold both, the second time after I got the 009.

My first Scotty a newport 2, that's when I realized what I liked and didn't.

And take your time, I might wind up liking an Odyssey more (I had a two ball once).

Any pics of it?

One of two I have...

Timeless?

Nike VR_S w/ Diamana ION 'ahina 70s
Callaway Razr Fit 15 w/ UST VTS Silver 7
Adams Super 9031 18
4-PW Callaway X-Prototype w/ S300
Byron Morgan 006
Cleveland 50
Nike VR Pro 56
Tour Vokey 60