New Graphite Design shaft: shot at 2016 Career Builders Challenge

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess they heard the feedback that the original looked more like a ladies shaft? Really excited to try this one out next week.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Interesting, looking forward to hearing what is different with the "Black Edition" of the GP shaft. Tried it a couple of times and it was sweet as it was when they released it last year.

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game

The new Tour AD GP Black Edition shafts do utilize the same exact shaft structure as the current in line Tour GP shafts in the teal color that we launched in October of 2015. The Tour AD GP Black Edition shafts are currently only offered to Tour Players, however they will be available exclusively in TaylorMade woods as a custom upgrade option in 65g S and X flex and 75g S and X flex starting on 2-1-16. They will also become available at all of our authorized dealers on 3-1-16 and you may see them available as a custom upgrade option within some of the other OEM's lines soon as well.

The GP shaft is quite incredible for me. DI feel with BB performance. Super tight dispersion! Loving it so far. I have the teal version and actually like the color. It's not quite as bright as some of the pics made it look.

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

The new Tour AD GP Black Edition shafts do utilize the same exact shaft structure as the current in line Tour GP shafts in the teal color that we launched in October of 2015. The Tour AD GP Black Edition shafts are currently only offered to Tour Players, however they will be available exclusively in TaylorMade woods as a custom upgrade option in 65g S and X flex and 75g S and X flex starting on 2-1-16. They will also become available at all of our authorized dealers on 3-1-16 and you may see them available as a custom upgrade option within some of the other OEM's lines soon as well.

I called the Taylormade Kingdom at Reynolds Plantation and they didn't seem too familiar with this. Where could we find more information on this?

TM Qi-10 Core (9) MRC Diamana GT 60X
TM Stealth2 (15) Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X
TM Stealth2 3-19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X
TM P790 (4,5) GD Tour AD-DI 95-S

TM P770 (6-9) TT S400(TI)
TM MG3 46.09, TM Hi-Toe 3 (50.09, 54.10, 60.10) TT S400(TI)
TM MySpider Tour X X7

Good to know my current "Teal" edition is the same as the "Black" edition.

I have three different AD driver as well as fairway shafts...great shafts for me.

Thanks!

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

The GP shaft is quite incredible for me. DI feel with BB performance. Super tight dispersion! Loving it so far. I have the teal version and actually like the color. It's not quite as bright as some of the pics made it look.

DI feel with BB performance? Sounds like the perfect shaft for me!

Given how much more tip-stiff the GP is, are you playing it in the same flex as your DI and BB shafts?

Bridgestone Tour B - X driver + FUJIKURA Speeder757 Evolution III 
Cobra F8 Tour 3-wood + ALDILA NV Green 75s
BRIDGESTONE Tour B XD-H 21* + Nippon NS Pro950 UT
Irons: MIZUNO Pro221 + DG S300
Mizuno MP-T5/MP-T22

BETTINARDI BB-1f 

BRIDGESTONE TOUR B RX 

Given how much more tip-stiff the GP is, are you playing it in the same flex as your DI and BB shafts?

Yes. I play X flex in all tour AD shafts. The only thing different is I didn't tip the GP shafts in my drivers. I play a 6x in a JPX 850 driver and a 7x in a MP 650 driver. I'm strongly considering swapping the 6x to the MP and selling the 7x.

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

Yes. I play X flex in all tour AD shafts. The only thing different is I didn't tip the GP shafts in my drivers. I play a 6x in a JPX 850 driver and a 7x in a MP 650 driver. I'm strongly considering swapping the 6x to the MP and selling the 7x.

I hit the 6x, 7x and 8x at the PGA Show and I agree, the 6x is plenty. The shaft was still very stable and dispersion was great for the 6x. Feels very smooth but much lower launch & Spin than DI/BB/MJ. I thought it was similar to the MT but just a touch lower launch & spin.

Thanks for the info., that's super-helpful!

Bridgestone Tour B - X driver + FUJIKURA Speeder757 Evolution III 
Cobra F8 Tour 3-wood + ALDILA NV Green 75s
BRIDGESTONE Tour B XD-H 21* + Nippon NS Pro950 UT
Irons: MIZUNO Pro221 + DG S300
Mizuno MP-T5/MP-T22

BETTINARDI BB-1f 

BRIDGESTONE TOUR B RX 

I hit the 6x, 7x and 8x at the PGA Show and I agree, the 6x is plenty. The shaft was still very stable and dispersion was great for the 6x. Feels very smooth but much lower launch & Spin than DI/BB/MJ. I thought it was similar to the MT but just a touch lower launch & spin.

How would you say this compared to the 9003 series? I have a 9003x and a M9003 7s that I am messing with an M1. Now that you have tried the GP what are your thoughts?

Edit: Just read your review in the 9003 thread.

How would you say this compared to the 9003 series? I have a 9003x and a M9003 7s that I am messing with an M1. Now that you have tried the GP what are your thoughts?

Edit: Just read your review in the 9003 thread.

Feels more like a 9003 but lower spin/launch than 9003. Closer to a P9003 in terms of feel. Softer/smoother than M9003 for sure. M9003 has a very stiff middle section and the shaft doesn't load very easily, feels a bit boardy, higher launch and lower spin for me. The GP has a little more give and launched lower with maybe similar to slightly more spin. Side by side to the P9003 TX they had at the show, it was slightly higher launch with similar spin. I think the GP is a very good shaft and has my full attention. I'll be swapping out my MJ's and M9003's for the GP in 2016.

• 4 weeks later...

Two range sessions and 18 holes with the GP-6X Black Edition in an M1 9.5* at 44.75". I've been using a 757 Evo TS X for well over a year now, and I wanted to find something similar, but lighter. Every shaft I've tried has felt "loose" in comparison. Most shafts last about 5-10 balls on the range, but this one made it to the course. Very solid and stout, but with smoothness. A little higher launch, a little more spin, and easier to turn over compared to what I'm used to, but totally negligible and possibly due to the lighter weight. Haven't decided if I like the 65ish gram driver shaft compared to the 75ish gram, but if I do go lighter, it'll be with the GP-6.

M3 9.5* - Fujikura 757TR
M5 15* - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
M1 5W - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
P760 3i - KBS $ Taper Black
P730 5-PW - KBS $ Taper Black
Milled Grind 50 & 55 DG TI Onyx
Hi-Toe 60 DG TI Onyx
Spider X Navy

Ordered an M1 with a HZRDUS Black 65 6.5 and a M2 with a GD GP 6x black edition. Going to play both and swap shafts/heads and compare and keep one combo. Thinking the GD GP will be the shaft that wins out based on my trials at PGA show demo day.

Ordered an M1 with a HZRDUS Black 65 6.5 and a M2 with a GD GP 6x black edition. Going to play both and swap shafts/heads and compare and keep one combo. Thinking the GD GP will be the shaft that wins out based on my trials at PGA show demo day.

I also ordered a M2 w/HZRDUS Black 65 6.5. Should be able to make similar comparisons.

M3 9.5* - Fujikura 757TR
M5 15* - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
M1 5W - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
P760 3i - KBS $ Taper Black
P730 5-PW - KBS $ Taper Black
Milled Grind 50 & 55 DG TI Onyx
Hi-Toe 60 DG TI Onyx
Spider X Navy

You end up sticking to the 7X? I don't want to make the move to the sub 70 gram driver shafts again, brings back bad memories haha. I'm coming from telephone poles so I think I can game the 7X without issue-- Aldila RIP 80X, Rombax 7Z-08 and Oban Devotion 75 X. I think I may also get either a RULZ type C 70X or a HZRDUS 75X. I really want to find the right driver shaft this season.

Would this GP be the lowest spinning out of the GD shafts? Or still BB?

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

Would this GP be the lowest spinning out of the GD shafts? Or still BB?

To me BB was just too smooth and felt way to loose. Even when all cylinders fired to perfection I never seemed to get the distance I was looking for and dispersion wasn't the best. GP feels much tighter and very stable but still smoother than M9003. M9003 to me is almost too stiff in the midsection, it really has that boardy feel. I even call it "brittle" feeling because it is so stiff it feels like it would crack apart like a pretzel stick in my hands.

GP of the three shafts was the best feeling and had a better stronger flat trajectory. BB had a bit of balloon, M9003 launched pretty high with what I would call a higher launch and a lower spin. GP was more flat with mid launch and mid spin, easier to control and more consistent results. I really wanted to like M9003. I have a 7S and a 6X and tried it in two different heads. I had multiple people try it. Everyone thought it was very stout, higher launch that just hung forever, so mid/lower spin. Extremely consistent too.

Love that Taylormade has the Black Edition as the custom order. But something tells me we're going to see it be downgraded value-wise since it is the option via an OEM. We'll see. Engineers at PGA Show said it is the exact same shaft, just paint job.