2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

golfballselector.com

Sean2

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOTALLY worth it! Unless you play TITLEIST BALLS and you are ignorant of the fact that other manufacturers have caught up to, or surpassed your ball of choice. Also everyone knows if you play Titleist gear you probably aren't interested in numbers and performance...you buy a ball because of a cursive typeface.

I got fit on a launch monitor, I tested the Srixons, TP red and black, Nike balls, Bridgestones, etc. I hit about 15 each with driver. Launch monitor results...#1 Srixon ZURS, #2 TP Red, #3 Bridgestone B330

Then for kicks, I signed up for golfballselector.com...
#1 Bridgestone B330s, #2 Srixon Zurs, #3 TP Red, #4 Titleist NXT Tour. This was out of every golfball that is current!

I think those are pretty sweet results considering one was on a Zelocity launch monitor, one on-line!

I joined and got poor results at first. But once I went through and really thought about the questions and my game, I got some excellent recommendations that were very very consistent with my real-world experiences. The problem I was having was that a bunch of the questions on the site were related to golf ball performance vs feel. I really don't care what a ball feels like, so the questions relating to feel didn't make a lot of sense to me. After spending more time on it, I was able to give some better answers and get better results.

The last section of it doesn't work properly for me though. This is the area where you can easily change your preferences and see how that changes your ball recommendations.

[quote name='bladerunner80871' post='811488' date='Dec 3 2007, 09:45 PM']TOTALLY worth it! Unless you play TITLEIST BALLS and you are ignorant of the fact that other manufacturers have caught up to, or surpassed your ball of choice. Also everyone knows if you play Titleist gear you probably aren't interested in numbers and performance...you buy a ball because of a cursive typeface.

I got fit on a launch monitor, I tested the Srixons, TP red and black, Nike balls, Bridgestones, etc. I hit about 15 each with driver. Launch monitor results...#1 Srixon ZURS, #2 TP Red, #3 Bridgestone B330

Then for kicks, I signed up for golfballselector.com...
#1 Bridgestone B330s, #2 Srixon Zurs, #3 TP Red, #4 Titleist NXT Tour. This was out of every golfball that is current!

I think those are pretty sweet results considering one was on a Zelocity launch monitor, one on-line![/quote]

what? I play titleist why?

• 1 month later...

I haven't done the ball selector but I have been fit at Max Out Golf Labs where Mitch Vogues, the owner of golfballselector.com is and I can tell you that I saw the Iron Byron and they have been fitting people into both clubs and balls for a while and they aren't biased towards any particular ball brand. I'm a high spin player and their recs for me were NOB, Prov1x, Either TM TP ball and Callaway HX Hot, Noodle and NXT for a lower priced ball. These were all last year's models. This was after actually hitting them at their shop.

I signed up just to give it a try. Pretty interesting and seemed to be pretty accurate with the balls I've used over the past year (after trying them all).

However, their questions regarding control seem to be a bit misleading. I want my shots to go straight. So would I want more or less control? I don't care to shape shots, but shaping shots equals "more" control right?

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

[quote name='cwglum' post='855842' date='Jan 9 2008, 07:44 AM']Go out and buy the new issue of Golf Magazine.

They do a test on 54 balls in that issue, with all info provided by golfballselector.com

From that info, looks like I need to try to Bridgestone e5+. And to boot, they're at least $15 cheaper than ProV's.[/quote]

golfballselector.com has been recommending the E5 for me constantly, no matter how I tweak things around, the #1 is the E5. I need to quit looking down my nose and try a sleeve or so.

I tried the service this weekend. for me the #1 reccomendation was the wilson staff PX3. i skipped work yesterday while in ny we are having great weather to play a round. I had my best day of my life driving the ball. it is a very long ball. and the spin on the green was very good not prov spin. but good enough. i am also going to try the tx4 which was #2. the only thing that was weird is the #3 ball was the nike one platinum. i always thought the platinum was for extremely high ss players.

Robert

Tempting, to say the least.

PXG 0311 Tour-1 10.5° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 49° (50°)

PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 53° (54°)

PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 58°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

[quote name='Robmc826' post='856312' date='Jan 9 2008, 01:18 PM']I tried the service this weekend. for me the #1 reccomendation was the wilson staff PX3. i skipped work yesterday while in ny we are having great weather to play a round. I had my best day of my life driving the ball. it is a very long ball. and the spin on the green was very good not prov spin. but good enough. i am also going to try the tx4 which was #2. the only thing that was weird is the #3 ball was the nike one platinum. i always thought the platinum was for extremely high ss players.

Robert[/quote]

What is it that lead to the PX3 ball? Was it that you like to spin the ball a lot? I thought that it spun too much for me with my driver. Was that not the case for you?

The platinum for this year seems to be harder to hit for lower swing speeds but I don't know what the cut off is for SS. I've played the current one and it feels a bit harder to compress off the driver than other balls but not much. I'm in the 110-115 ss range.

I'm a little disappointed with it. I thought the questions would be a little more comprehensive, and the recommendation for the E5 in the top 5 doesn't seem right to me. I've tried it and hated it. Gave away my last couple sleeves to a friend. But to give the site it's due, it did recommend both the Nike One Black and Platinum in the top 5 and I have liked both and found they played very similar to me.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

[quote name='cwglum' post='855842' date='Jan 9 2008, 10:44 AM']Go out and buy the new issue of Golf Magazine.

They do a test on 54 balls in that issue, with all info provided by golfballselector.com

From that info, looks like I need to try to Bridgestone e5+. And to boot, they're at least $15 cheaper than ProV's.[/quote]
I was just going to say that.

buy some used AAA balls on ebay and try them out for yourself

i tried it and was a little confused but some time on the phone with Mitch Voges clarified things and I love it hence the reason I started playing Nike Ignites.....they were on of my higher recommended balls with NOP, TM TP Red, Titelist ProV1x,Zrixon Z URC, NOB, Titelist ProV1, Bridge Tour B330 and then Nike Ignite all above 85%

The Nike was only one I could identify in the medium price range of balls but with lower prices on 07 NOP I am going to get a couple boxes to try as well.

I could tell a big difference over the TF Straight and Slazenger balls I had been playing around greens. I had gone for two piece balls to cut down on spin off driver but they sucked around greens.....but now I can stop the ball on a dime.

I love that site...cant wait until his new changes are posted this month or next and he adds the new 2008 balls he started testing.

I was a bit surprised with some of the recommendations like NOP since I swing in 90s....but I am more concerned with accuracy and hitting greens and fairways than distance...and wanted good feel around greens and to be able to feel the ball when putting and chipping. The way it was explained is that the NOP and some others give the distance off the core of the ball and not a hard cover like some two piece in past....so while I cant compress it enough to get full distance with my ss....the mantle and cover are perfect for the control game I want around greens and on approaches. Also it helps minimize spin off my driver. Right now I am losing more strokes from penalties from tee shots and errant fairway shots than anything so that is my top priority and so far it feels like it is working. Best four or five rounds this summer since I started with IGNITES...will try NOP since it was the #1 selection for me this weekend or next.

The ball test Golf Magazine just did is very impressive for raw data on everything out there. However, if you want to take that data and apply it to your specific launch conditions, I would recommend golfballselector.com.

One thing nobody's touched on is how golfballselector.com collected all their raw data and gave it to a third party (not even a golf related entity) to sort so the objectivity of the data wold be maintained. Golfballselector.com is completely brand neutral.

I think it's a very good concept, but I agree with the prior post. I would really rather take that 20 or 30 bones & get a few sleeves & try with all shots with real course conditions. I can play harder, lesser spinning balls here in VA due to the humidity & soft conditions. Would the selector consider your course conditions?

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

You know I have been playing Titelist for about forty years . Mainly because I was and am convinced they have better quality control.

That means everytime I pull out my Titelist it plays the same I play the ProvX eventhough I do not have the swing speed for it according to what I read not even close

Just the same when I play other balls if I find something I hit farther with a driver I do not control distance as well with the irons.

In some experimentation this fall I found good success with the TP Black ball it plays like and X too me no better or worse it stays whiter.

I have played Syxon it does not seem like a bad ball either

I think its important to remember the key is not which ball goes the farthest but which ball is the most consistent.

did it today....top balls:
1. TP red -
2 . wilson TX4-tour
3. Srixon URS -
4. Titleist DT solo
5. Bridgestone B330S

I was surprised at the "high end balls" it chose for me for the most part. I pretty much play anything that I can get my hands on that is free or come with joining something. my SS is about 95-98 and I hit my driver about 240 or so. I thought for sure it would recommend an e5+ or something like that.

it puts you into generalized groups in the first step, mine was:
swing speed: 89-100
ball speed: 128-140
launch: higher (13-18*)
spin: higher (>2800)
estimated driver: 225-260

pretty accurate I think. but anyone who is an expert have a general idea (understand it is the way I answered the questions but..) why the premium balls came up (except the DT solo at 4?)? I was really hoping that something in the mid-level would come up.

interesting idea, for $22 for the year (thanks for the coupon). i will have to buy a sleeve of each and see what happens. anyone know for sure when the new balls will be on the site?