So your friends consider golf a sport?

cjdrcccjdrcc Jr. Boomers Posts: 543
some do and some don't??
First,l et me say that I do consider golf a sport and secondy, don't kill the messenger. Some of my friends are debating if golf is a sport. I say yes, but I have heard and LISTENED to both sides and have decided to treat golf like running/jogging/XC, some people do it for exercise and are not athletic, while others who play tourneys or run races are athletes. Whats your take on the debate.

Comments

• papichulostevepapichulosteve Members Posts: 1,708 ✭✭
    you make a good point. its a sport to those who walk the course and competively play and try to score as low as possible, and its not a sport to those riding in the golf carts knocking back a beer a hole doing it to get away from the significant other for a few hours. but if your talking about it on a competition level its more of a sport than running or XC by a long shot.....requires way more skill and not only physical ability but mental as well.
  • simmoboysimmoboy Members Posts: 777
    Just papi said golf isnt a sport to people who drive around in a cart with a slap in the back, for them its just a social outing but elite professionals its a sport. Look at Tiger he would be just a physically fit as most othere athletes and he would also have alot more mental toughness then a football player.

Golf isnt just a sport its one of the hardest sports around because its just your mind and body verses the course and mother nature.

brent
  • BridgestoneKevinBridgestoneKevin Take what you want, not whats givin Members Posts: 301
    its is the hardest sport, because with basketball you could be 7'2 and not be an athlete at all, but get a division 1 scholarship. with golf you have to be good at it, there are no special treatments for certain people. And every little thing has to be right for you to play at your best ability. Also golf you cant rely on someone else to help you win, its all on you.
  • JohnnyJohnny Get Kwok'd Charter Members Posts: 8,706 ✭✭
    no..but I can whoop them in just about anything "active"..so they cant say much.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
    Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
    Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
    Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
    Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

• kkherekkhere Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,138
    most of my friends didn't care for golf until i brought them on the course. Now many of them like it but there are still people that think golf is a sissy sport
  • italianstallionitalianstallion Bethpage Black - 8th hole Junior Mod Squad Posts: 3,016 ✭✭
    Okay, this has always been my arguement, and no disrespect to anybody on this forum. Golf is a sport, for sure. Most people say it isn't. Then I come back at them asking if they think NASCAR is a sport. Most of the time, they say it is. Then, I argue why they think driving a car is a sport over using a honed swing to hit a ball in as little strokes as possible into a hole. Not only do golfers need to have a good swing, but they need to walk and be in shape. Golf is not like most other sports. Pros are not 400 lbs, like in some other sport I know (no disrespect). Sure, a heavy person can play this game, but not many find themselves at the top of the sport, or even walking 18 holes for that matter. So, yes, golf is a sport to me. Most people don't like golf because they have the imprssion that golfers look and dress funny. I had that same impression too, until I hit a ball and realized how fun golf really is. It is not boring, and it is not goofy. It's straight up fun. I actually converted my whole extended family into golf lovers!
  • HECK YEAH GOLF IS A SPORT!!! I define sport as a game you have to be the best at to win, and that is definitly golf. If you were describe all the sports to a person in as little words as possible, golf would sound the hardest. "well, you take his small ball, and you have to hit it with this club in which the hitting area is only 10 square inches, and you have to hit it 500 yards into a hole that is 6 inches in diameter. Oh, and you only get 5 shots to do it and there is a bunch of sand and water in your way". GOOD LUCK!

drive for dough putt for mo'

mike
  • italianstallionitalianstallion Bethpage Black - 8th hole Junior Mod Squad Posts: 3,016 ✭✭
    lhsgolfer2 wrote on Dec 11 2005, 07:35 PM:

HECK YEAH GOLF IS A SPORT!!! I define sport as a game you have to be the best at to win, and that is definitly golf. If you were describe all the sports to a person in as little words as possible, golf would sound the hardest. "well, you take his small ball, and you have to hit it with this club in which the hitting area is only 10 square inches, and you have to hit it 500 yards into a hole that is 6 inches in diameter. Oh, and you only get 5 shots to do it and there is a bunch of sand and water in your way". GOOD LUCK!

drive for dough putt for mo'

mike

GOLF 1O1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's it! Don't forget the occasional gator and snake (if you live in that climate).
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Guests Posts: 0
    As a high school golfer and a one sport athlete I have found that I can't even work out in my own high school gym. Durring the winter the weight room is over crowded with football, basketball and wrestlers. Players and even coaches have asked me why I'm there. I quit going, but laugh becuase the 3 sports combined haven't won as many matches as the golf team.
  • sync71sync71 Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,534
    Me and a lot of people consider golf a sport. You try to win, get as low score as possible, and spend hours practicing. And I love all of it.GOLF IS A SPORT
  • golfr03golfr03 6453 Jr. Boomers Posts: 344
    simmoboy wrote on Dec 10 2005, 12:33 AM:

Just papi said golf isnt a sport to people who drive around in a cart with a slap in the back, for them its just a social outing but elite professionals its a sport. Look at Tiger he would be just a physically fit as most othere athletes and he would also have alot more mental toughness then a football player.

Golf isnt just a sport its one of the hardest sports around because its just your mind and body verses the course and mother nature.

brent

I really agree with this. In one sense it is a social outing and in another

sense it is a professional sport that needs honed in, excellent skill. I

completely agree that Tiger is more fit than athletes in other 'sports' and

in a golf channel show they said he was always better than the other

kids. Golf is a sport there is no doubt about it.
    well most of my GOOD freinds are golfers and ofcourse they say YES.

But at skool where I won districts most people say no. Especialy on the football team!! even though some of those kids play like 15min all season image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />

They no nuthing

image/diablo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' /> Foosebal image/diablo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />

i forgot to mention.. I drop my Tees all the time

Thats a sh!t load of effort right there!!! lol
    Man most of em really dont care because im the QB at my school so im mad happy! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' /> s*** yea I get dogged on for it but its all good.
    It requires hand - eye coordination, game plan, thought, personal control, imagination, power, delicate touch, speed control, competitive nature, adaptability, is influenced by nature, practice, and dedication. Yes, it is a sport, nothing else compares.
    yea thats a given but your not taking hits like hockey or football.
  • stickmanstickman Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,981
    Most the kids at my school make fun of me because i play golf, they say its an old man sport and stuff like that. But i know there wrong.

BTW if chess is considered a sport then golf is defienatly a sport.