TM M3 460, Hzrdus Yellow 6.0
    TM M3 3HL, Fujikura Pro Tour spec 73X
    TM P790 3, Axivcore Black Hybrid TX
    Mizuno MPH5 4-6, DG Pro S300
    Mizuno MP15 7-PW, DG Pro S300
    Mizuno MPT5 50.07, 54.12, 62.08, DG Wedge
    Mizuno Bettinardi C-03H 34"
  • agathaagatha Members Posts: 975 ✭✭

Okay fun quiz for you all who know who some of the young guns are on the full pga and web.com tours.. This is a picture of the Western Amateur sweet 16 from the year 2014. Matthew is top left. Can you identify/recognize any players here? Hint- one of them won about a week ago at Harbor town..

• RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,687 ClubWRX

Who's that guy third from the left, front row. Looks like he might make some noise at some major tournament in early April in Georgia. Maybe even contend on the back 9 on Sunday. ;)

Titleist 905T 9.5 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Tour (3-PW) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 50* GW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 58* LW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • jdljdl Masshole MassMembers Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 29, 2019 5:11pm #1985

As an Illinois grad I have an unfair advantage here since I see 3 Illini there. I've got the leftmost 7 in the front row and the 2 dudes standing next to Matt. Won't spoil the quiz for others, but the 3 Illini are Nick Hardy, Charlie Danielson and Brian Campbell.

A couple others I might have a guess on.

Great pic!

• JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are the ones I kind of recognize. Way to go Mom!
    @agatha & Matt!

• pheenomz4774pheenomz4774 Members Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next to Xander sitting in the middle looks like Beau Hossler. Quite a few PGA tour winners in there!

Equipment changes faster than it takes to make a sig...
  • messtophmesstoph New JerseyMembers Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭

That picture and story are awesome! Thank you for sharing.

Ping G30
    Cally XHot 3 & 5 wood
    Mizuno 850 Forged 4-PW kbs c-taper
    Mizuno 52 & 56 wedges
    Nike Mod 30 Putter
    Snell MTB

"All men want to be rich. Rich men want to be king. And a king ain't satisfied til he rules everything." (BS)
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

One thing I learned from that picture is that if you're a really good golfer your forehead is a lighter shade than your face.
    Kinda weird how Doug Ghim isn't doing as well as some of the other guys.

TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • santasquatchasantasquatcha Members Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

Great picture up there! Thanks for sharing. Hope you guys are doing well

Mini-Driver, Taylormade Aeroburner,14*, Matrix 60g S
    4h - 5h, Adams Tech V4.0, S
    6 - PW, Titleist 712CB, modus120S
    GW, 49*, Adams Tech V4.0, S
    GW, 51*, Cleveland 588
    SW, 56-11*, Titleist Vokey SM4
    LW, 60-07*, Titleist Vokey SM4
    Putter, Odyssey White Hot #6
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,080 ✭✭

One thing I learned from that picture is that if you're a really good golfer your forehead is a lighter shade than your face.
    Kinda weird how Doug Ghim isn't doing as well as some of the other guys.

To be fair Doug Ghim turned pro later than some of the others. He just turned pro mid 2018, I think.
    This year, he's made 5/7 cuts and is 32nd on the Web.com 25. He's in a good spot as of now to have a chance to get a card for next year.

• mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty cool. I think Matt has a perfect mindset. He isn't forcing things. He will bust out soon. You can feel it......

• BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2019 1:40am #1996

Watch out Tech is in a bubble. Nice pics, love to hear about your prep!

One question: if you were one of us “Ams” what would be the 1 thing you would do to put yourself on a good path for more enjoyable golf?

• chano14chano14 Members Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited May 13, 2019 8:42pm #1997

results of us open local qualy, should be here tomorrow:
    https://www.usopen.com/qualifying/local.html
    can´t find online scores =(
    Classic Club Palm Desert, Calif. 90/5

@chano14 said:

Looks like Matt had to withdraw, hopefully not an injury?

• GolfingBroGolfingBro Members Posts: 440 ✭✭✭✭

@BB28403 said:
    Watch out Tech is in a bubble. Nice pics, love to hear about your prep!

One question: if you were one of us “Ams” what would be the 1 thing you would do to put yourself on a good path for more enjoyable golf?

I would find someone fun to play with who doesn't take it too seriously. Having a buddy that enjoys and loves the game no matter how he or she plays is a great way to enjoy golf.

@jdl said:

@chano14 said:

Looks like Matt had to withdraw, hopefully not an injury?

Thanks for following along guys. It has not an injury, its more embarrassing than that.

Yesterday was my US Open Locals at notoriously challenging Classic Club. I had not touched a club for 8 days going into the round. My family and I went on a cruise to Alaska which was a lot of fun. My swing felt surprisingly good on the range but as I learned that was the range swing and on course is a little different when the lies are flat. I normally pack 10 golf balls for a round of golf and 6 or fewer for qualifiers (since if I lose 6 balls in a qualifier I won't be making it through anyways). Thats exactly what happened yesterday.

I started on 10 which was the most difficult of the day with a slight push on my 2nd shot into the water. Then the next hole I thought I hit a good line with a drive but it didn't carry the water, then the 3rd hole a par 3 it landed on land and bounced into the water...not a good start. I hit some good shots over the next few holes but I had to get aggressive since I was so many over par. This led to a couple more balls in the water on the first 9. Basically my ball striking spread was wide and when forced to be aggressive in the middle of the round I had to still attack pins even with this wide spread. I lost my final ball with 4 holes to play and had to walk off the course.

On Sunday I leave for Vancouver for the first event of the Mackenzie Tour Season: Here is the link to the schedule

https://www.pgatour.com/canada/en_us/tournaments/schedule.2019.html

• lhahnlhahn Members Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing you at PG next week! Best of luck!!

2018 Tour Issue M4 8.2* - Copperhead 70TX
    TM P790 18*
    Mizuno JPX 919T 4-PW
    TM 54*
    TM Hi-Toe 64*
    Yamada Emperor 33"
    TP5X

Hmm...that's a great point on not having to bring many balls to a qualifier, hadn't considered it like that! Good luck in Canada.

Tomorrow afternoon I leave for the first Mackenzie Tour PGA Canada event. Here is a link to my website with updated schedule and links. Feel free to follow along. http://www.matthansengolf.com

• Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers Posts: 152 ✭✭✭

Best of luck Matt. Hope you play well up here!

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G400 9.5
    Taylor Made M4 3-wood(recently destroyed)
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood

• chivachiva Members Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck!

OB and water hazards you flunkies
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2019 1:48am #2006

Good luck Roger!

(Joking!)

• jim rockfordjim rockford Members Posts: 631 ✭✭

hey, i'm caddying in vancouver the first two rounds this week and then course marshalling on the weekend. they had a shortage of caddies on thursday/friday last year so i thought i'd lend a hand those two days. so i will see you out there... i am caddying tuesday pro-am too.

as per Point Grey, fairly tight, not that long. vancouver is at sea level so you will generally need more club (a friend of mine won in vancouver and specifically mentioned that). not too windy and unless things change it'll be dry and fast (you might have heard vancouver is rainy)
    no great insight on the course........ i think par 4 15th out to water is a key hole. fairly tight drive and then a very tricky approach shot (so you combine the 2 things it can be very tricky. not that long a hole though)... i think they are renovating the course (they needed a bigger driving range) so not certain how that will affect things)

hey, you are from morro bay... i love it there..... small world......... i checked a nice little local golf course there. trying to remember it was morro bay or pismo beach....... p.s. i see that you are from los osos, which i see is morro bay south

@jim rockford said:
    hey, i'm caddying in vancouver the first two rounds this week and then course marshalling on the weekend. they had a shortage of caddies on thursday/friday last year so i thought i'd lend a hand those two days. so i will see you out there... i am caddying tuesday pro-am too.

as per Point Grey, fairly tight, not that long. vancouver is at sea level so you will generally need more club (a friend of mine won in vancouver and specifically mentioned that). not too windy and unless things change it'll be dry and fast (you might have heard vancouver is rainy)
    no great insight on the course........ i think par 4 15th out to water is a key hole. fairly tight drive and then a very tricky approach shot (so you combine the 2 things it can be very tricky. not that long a hole though)... i think they are renovating the course (they needed a bigger driving range) so not certain how that will affect things)

@jim rockford said:
    hey, you are from morro bay... i love it there..... small world......... i checked a nice little local golf course there. trying to remember it was morro bay or pismo beach....... p.s. i see that you are from los osos, which i see is morro bay south

Yeah Morro Bay golf course was my high school course. It has some great views! Enjoy caddying! It should be a fun week.

i will try to be there when you tee off around 8 am-ish. (can't remember exact time nor the tee but i'll look it up). i will try to wear an oregon state shirt (orange). will your parents be there?
    i would say to remember to check the pin on 11 when you get there. because it's not that easy to figure out from below.
    most of the other pins i think you can see.
    vancouver is wet/dry sometimes. dry on top but not necessary underneath. you probably have that in morro bay. if not, you must have competed in pacific northwest before.
    15th out to water is a really important hole. tightish drive. then alot of angles of approach shots are protected by trees. not that long a hole

i should say we haven't had a huge amount of rain the last month. so course probably drained ok. lots of rain on monday but tomorrow is thursday should be enough time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file