2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping s56 irons

dlopez

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the ping s56. I like them better then the s55. Don't know what it is just different. Could be the bounce or grind something just not as good through the turf for me on the s55. I feel that they are both very forgiving. Not like take a toe shot and make stick 10 feet or anything thing like that in shot correction but not bad.

Owned them for a while they are a great set of irons. I will say this unless you are consistent ball striker I would go with the g irons or g25 (made the switch). Miss hits are punished on these irons , they are forgiving as an ap2 but they are as blade as they can be.

Hope that helps!

My buddy plays them now and plays lights out with them but he's a scratch player

Game on!

Ping G30 LS 9* tour 65X
Ping Rapture D.I. 18
Ping G25 3-PW CFS X
Ping Glide (50,54,58) CFS Wedge
Ping Anser TR 5

Have to agree. They are very forgiving for this type of iron, but as a 17 capper, you might want to look at the G series!? ;) Golf is a game of misses, why not use some tech. to help?

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Hi I was wondering how forgiving the s56 irons were I currently play taylormade mc irons but don't like the feel they have. Are they similar in forgiveness, less, or more. And if anyone could tell me what they think about them would be appreciated thanks in advance.

I have a set of the Taylormade 2014 MC's and the Ping S56. There isn't much difference in forgiveness between the two. I find the longer irons slightly more forgiving in the MC's, which I imagine is helped by the slot tech in the bottom of the longer irons. Not sure if you have the 2014 MC's or the ones before that, as the earlier model didn't have the slot tech. I would imagine, the earlier model MC's would be just about the same in the long irons as the S56's, as they don't have the slot tech.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Like others have said above, if you are a 17 cap, then you might want to try out the Ping G or I series as well with the S series.

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Sorry i forgot to update my profile but I was at a 17 it the beginning of summer but I've lowered it to around a 10. I feel I hit my irons well I just was looking for something different I found a set for 300 on the bay 3-pw and have always wanted to try them out, but thanks for the info they get here on Saturday cant wait to try them out

Like others have said above, if you are a 17 cap, then you might want to try out the Ping G or I series as well with the S series.

I'm not even a 25 handicap, and I play S58s. Didn't believe it when I found I could hit them better than various other GI and SGI clubs. That includes i20s. But I've been playing them a whole season now. I've tried switching to more "forgiving" clubs but for some reason the S58s just pick the ball up better off the turf. Great from all kinds of lies. I didn't find they lose much distance on off-centre hits either. Very happy. I have some S56 clubs as well - can't tell much difference if anything. Same with the S57. They're all similar. All great clubs and unreasonably easy to play.

I too gamed the s56 at one point for about three years and then went to the s55's and never felt comfortable. Now game the new i series and 4,5,6 irons are much more consistent and the 7-u feel similar in confidence as back with the s56's. I think for their price now, wouldn't be unreasonable to try them out.

I'm not even a 25 handicap, and I play S58s. Didn't believe it when I found I could hit them better than various other GI and SGI clubs. That includes i20s. But I've been playing them a whole season now. I've tried switching to more "forgiving" clubs but for some reason the S58s just pick the ball up better off the turf. Great from all kinds of lies. I didn't find they lose much distance on off-centre hits either. Very happy. I have some S56 clubs as well - can't tell much difference if anything. Same with the S57. They're all similar. All great clubs and unreasonably easy to play.

Yep, that's why I recommended trying them all. It looks like OP has already ordered the s56. Good luck, hope you hit them well OP.

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the S56 two years ago from a local course pro. They were purple dot and I played them "OK" and loved the look and feel. The feel felt as close as I have felt to forged without being forged. Last winter I decided to go to Ping and get the lie fitted for me and found that I required blue (.75 degrees upright). Going from purple to blue made a huge difference in my game and I shot my first sub 80 round last summer with the S56. My previous set was a GI set of Big Bertha 2006 and I found that I was more consistent with the S56 as the smaller heads made me focus more on the basics.

I demo'd a set of S55 and found they just didn't have the feel of the S56.

My .02 is you cant go wrong with any Ping iron.

Up until about a month ago I was gaming S57's. When I looked to upgrade to the S56's, I really found no advantage. However, I thought the S55 were a significant improvement over the s57's in both feel and forgiveness. S57's are pretty punishing in distance on off center hits, while S55's were more consistent when you missed it.

All the ping S57-S55's are great clubs. It comes down personal preference. I'm sure that there are supporters out there for each of them.

I bought the S56 two years ago from a local course pro. They were purple dot and I played them "OK" and loved the look and feel. The feel felt as close as I have felt to forged without being forged. Last winter I decided to go to Ping and get the lie fitted for me and found that I required blue (.75 degrees upright). Going from purple to blue made a huge difference in my game and I shot my first sub 80 round last summer with the S56. My previous set was a GI set of Big Bertha 2006 and I found that I was more consistent with the S56 as the smaller heads made me focus more on the basics.

Purple dot? Is that upright or flattened from standard black? I play white dot(3* upright) g20s with a +1/2" and thought that was extreme.

the hell with anyone who says as a higher handicap you shouldn't play them. play what suits your eye. I tried g series irons and my swing got flat out careless. took me 3 months to recover from that experiment once I went back to a players iron. s56 are great, s57 spun too much for me. I have s55 now and they are as forgiving as my i20. I played my best golf with s56 though. still regret that break up.

Purple dot? Is that upright or flattened from standard black? I play white dot(3* upright) g20s with a +1/2" and thought that was extreme.

Purple dot used to be 4 upright I believe in the old code system. I think ping has changed in more recent years to purple being flat. The next one after red dot so I think purple is 1.5 (or perhaps 2) flat. I guess I could just look it up rather than rely on memory.

Purple is 1.5 degrees flat.. Once I was fitted they were bumped to blue which is .75 degrees upright.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to rehash the past, but I've been trying to like the newer PING iBlade offerings, but they don't seem to have the sweet feel, sound and forgiveness of the S56's.

I've also tested newer shaft offerings, but nothing feels as good as the KBS shafts in my S56 set.

The other picky thing I like is the finish of the S56's. The new finish on the iBlade doesn't look good after a few rounds.

I have two sets. Just bought my second set for $150.00 Canadian funds

. Did I mention that it came with a ping 14 way cart bag fairly new GP align grips and KBS tour shafts 4-pw.. My other set is blue dot with regular flex shafts. Just swapped them over tonight as the blue dot suits me better than the purple dot. Could not pass them up. Hopefully try them out tomorrow once the epoxy sets.

• Ping G425 Max (Tensei Orange)
  • Talyormade V-Steel 5 wood
  • Titleist 915H 4Hybrid
  • Titleist (2021) T100s 4-PW
  • Titleist SM6 50,54,58
  • Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Up until about a month ago I was gaming S57's. When I looked to upgrade to the S56's, I really found no advantage. However, I thought the S55 were a significant improvement over the s57's in both feel and forgiveness. S57's are pretty punishing in distance on off center hits, while S55's were more consistent when you missed it.

All the ping S57-S55's are great clubs. It comes down personal preference. I'm sure that there are supporters out there for each of them.

I literally wore out a set of S57s. Loved those things. :)

I kept trying the S56s when they first came out, but didn't see enough difference to justify the price.

I've been looking for a Ping iron to replace my old S57s and I discovered the iBlades. A little larger head, and a bit more forgiving, but a nice head nonetheless.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec