2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

KBS 610 Wedge Shaft

stcgolfer8

I'm interested in this shaft for a new set of wedges. Just looking for some feedback on this shaft. Also, I see they have a 120gr S Flex and a 125gr S+ Flex...

What would be the differences in those shafts besides the 5 grams?

Also, would the 125gr model play anything like the 125gr KBS Hi Rev shaft in terms of feel?

I have the 610 in S+ in all my wedges ( sm5 vokeys... 52 56 60). I play KBS tours in stiff. I was looking for a lower wedge flight which these do very well. I dont notice much if any difference in the weight at all. The flight is so much more controled with tighter dispersion and maybe half club more distsnce prob due to the flatter ball flight. Feel is solid and this carries through to partial shots pitches and chips also. I have a heck of alot more control. I spent four hours first two days i had them testing from full shots, partial shots, shorts chips pitches you name it. I play off a four cap so i can hit some shots and know what i can ( and cant ) do with a wedge. Overall impression was and is that they for me, fit well and feel great. The ball flight is " flatter" and def no ballooning at all that i had with the s300 or 200 shafts i replaced them with. I went s+ just for the extra stiffness ( cause i like that feel) in the wedges and didnt want shots to ever baloon even if I " went after one " . I found that i have more controled spin around the greens too. I know these arent spinnier shafts but thats how they perform for me. If you are looking for a more lower/ flatter ballflight these are good shafts to try. The low spinning wedge is now a staple in my arsenal due to these shafts but I really wanted lower more controlled shots in the wedges overall, again which these do well and are designed to do. Even got compliments from playing partners last time out that " I had been practicing the low shot". I disnt tell them i hadent it was all shaft. They work well with the vokes. Hope this helps. Btw i got a three shaft set new for 85 bucks from a KBS designated dealer off ebay. I installed them myself.

• Like 1

Solid Review there Kyle, Was reading about these the other day. I'm looking for Exactly that. Lower Flight, controllable and versatile. I love my Cleveland 588 Forged wedges but the Old Tour concept wedge flex are pretty terrible for me. They need to go! So again, thanks for the Write up.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I've had experience with both Hi Rev and 610 shafts and while I liked the higher ball flight and softer feel(active tip section) in the hi rev shafts, with my swing and style of play the 610 shafts work perfectly for me. I currently play the 610 shafts in my MD3 wedges (46,50,54,58), use 125 S+ shafts. All my wedges are swing weighted to D3 and yes, all my tinkering over the past month has shown me that the KBS line is a better shaft for me over the typical wedge stock wedge shaft.

I prefer an agressive, lower ball flight into greens from over 50 yds out so that I can control the spin and distance better. The 610 wedge allowed me swing as I do with my irons and not worry about ballooning or digging. It handles my tempo and transition well and actually my scrambling has improved since I switched.

Great write up Kyle, thanks!

Double, how did the spin rates differ between the Hi Rev and 610s from what you saw? Also, how did the shaft flexes differ? I play the S in the Hi Revs which are 125gr shafts. If moving to the 610s, I'm wondering if I should get the 120gr S flex or the 125gr S+ flex?

I'm not sure on exact spin number since all my testing was done outside on the range without trackman or flightscope. I can say that with the hi revs I played more a softer swing since the softer tip section gave more spin that I was looking for. Golf balls were checking up more with bump & runs shots into front pins where as the 610 shafts let me swing normal and I could hit shots that hit and slowly released to the pin. As for weight, I prefer a heavier shaft to help with keeping my swing on plane hence going with 125 S+ over the 120g s flex

I played s300 in the 52 and stock 200's jn the 56 and 60. The difference in control and spin was night and day with the 610's. As i said I know the 610 is not supposed to be a spin machine , but for me they seemed to have just the right ammount of spin for each shot trajectory. Ive never been a " high spin" playa with wedges but i can definately say the spin was up with the new shafts compared to the old ones. The biggest difference was the control and dispersion. I hit these things first day without having touched a club for weeks and it was point and shoot. Prob both owed to the slighlty stiffer S+ shafts and the flatter ball flight. I hit the pole I was aiming at three times in succession on full swings. Never could get that consistency with the 200/300 combo. Really feel a lot of confidence over ball with these that the will be no ballon balls ( almost impossible ) and the ball is going right where it is aimed. I think spin is up cause i was able get the ball to even back up a little ( 1-3 feet, not the tour ripchord but satisfying nonethless, never thought having a ball stop three feet from pin and spin to 20' was helpful unless you love lag putting). Ball checks and gently releases to pin on short pitches chips. The low burning wedge shot ( which eluded me forever, but is a shot i want to have ) is now very easy to hit even with the 60. Out of bunkers the feel is solid and very Controled. Flops were not sky high ( i dont hit these if i can or dont have to but sometimes its necessary) but again med hight and flattish. Its all about control with these things. It really makes me wonder if a S+ would be beneficial in the entire set ( maybe in 7-pw as a kind of flighted set?). Try em out. Plan on playing saturday and will try and post again.

Inhavent used the wedge specific line in KBS but the 610 are designed to be a lower flight less spin shaft with the hugh rev a higher spin higher traj shaft. I didnt want higher traj or more spin so i got the 610. I am a med hieght ball flight so these fit the bill well. I have played the old original rifles in the past and these are remenescant in feel ( to me) of those.... Just lower/ flatter trajectory.

• 3 months later...

Bit the bullet and ordered these! I've been a S400 / X100 user in wedges forever, but want to try these for more stable trajectory. I think they will pair up better with my irons too. Also adding that 5ish yards with the flatter flight will improve my gapping up to PW.

Going KBS 610 S+ in 50 & 56

Going KBS Tour S+ in 60

Sounds great on paper coming from loving C-Tapers S+. My golf shop is ripping me off price wise but still excited for these to be built, I've got a really good feeling about them!

Bit the bullet and ordered these! I've been a S400 / X100 user in wedges forever, but want to try these for more stable trajectory. I think they will pair up better with my irons too. Also adding that 5ish yards with the flatter flight will improve my gapping up to PW.

Going KBS 610 S+ in 50 & 56

Going KBS Tour S+ in 60

Sounds great on paper coming from loving C-Tapers S+. My golf shop is ripping me off price wise but still excited for these to be built, I've got a really good feeling about them!

I originally bought the S+ for my 50, 54 and 58 and I will tell you that they are quite heavy and stout. I changed my 54 and 50 to the Stiff version and like them better. I left the 58 alone only to save the money of switching and because the extra weight didn't bother me. You may want to consider the stiff version as opposed to the S+.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I changed the shafts in my wedges recently, had PX 6.0 and switched to the KBS 610 120, and love them. The ball flight is lower, spin is the same, I gained about 3-5 meters, but the most significant improvement is the feel, so much smoother. To be honest, I never liked the PX in the wedges, nor in my irons, and fell in love with the KBS C-Tapers, therefore I wanted some KBS wedge specific shafts.

In another set I had the Hi-Rev shafts (1. version) and I liked them a lot, too, but difficult to control in windy conditions.

These shafts have me scratching my head a little. They seem to seriously cut spin. Not sure i like it. Was hitting lob wedges today into a practice green and the ball was taking huge hops with little to no bite. Sticking with them for now, but they might get the boot.

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

• 1 month later...

For those of you who have these shafts in your 58 or 60, how is the spin on short chips and pitches around the green compared to a DG or other wedge specific shaft?

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

For those of you who have these shafts in your 58 or 60, how is the spin on short chips and pitches around the green compared to a DG or other wedge specific shaft?

I have these in my Glides (you installed them, haha). They take a little getting used to but now I love them. I would say they certainly spin less than a X100 or S400, and way less than a "wedge flex" shaft. For me this is a good thing. I have the 125 S+. For 40-60 yard shots they just sit and stay, good boy.

Cally Epic Speed w/ Accra
Titleist TSR3 16.5 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Ping G425 3 Hybrid w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Ping iCrossover 4 Iron w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Srixon ZX7 5-PW w/ PXLZ 6.0
Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

You will have to play for some rollout. I have actually considered taking it out of my 60 but it really shines on half and full shots.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

Glad I found this thread - LONG time DG S400 wedge player. Just picked up an identical MD3 56* wedge with a 610 S-flex 120g to test side-by-side my S400 head. Have played KBS Tour S-flex (hardstepped 1x) for years so wanted to try out the 610. Will report back on how this goes.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

I've had mine for a little bit now and i don't know if it is the vokey heads or what, but the feel seems sorta dead to me. I'm used to playing PX6.0 in my wedges, so maybe that is my issue. Anyway, they have been sitting on the shelf for some time now...may take them back out for a round to see how they go.

It's a stout, low launching wedge shaft. Have to load it hard or its gonna feel awful. I think for the 10% of players it fits it will be perfect.

I suppose... I had the 125 initially and that is a beastly shaft. The 120s are better but still a bit dead in the feel department in my opinion.

It's a stout, low launching wedge shaft. Have to load it hard or its gonna feel awful. I think for the 10% of players it fits it will be perfect.

I suppose... I had the 125 initially and that is a beastly shaft. The 120s are better but still a bit dead in the feel department in my opinion.

Agreed - I just never felt like I could hit a finesse shot with them. Couldn't feel the head even though the swing weight was fine.

Just had an opportunity to test the 610 versus an S400 side-by-side in identical MD3 heads. I will be sticking with the S400. The 610 absolutely hits higher and balloons more. It was a great day to test with a strong 1-2 club headwind. S400 cut through the wind and the 610 got beat up. Little touch shots were also more consistent. S400 was just better all around.

Maybe the 125 would have been better as this was a 120g S-flex.

Just had an opportunity to test the 610 versus an S400 side-by-side in identical MD3 heads. I will be sticking with the S400. The 610 absolutely hits higher and balloons more. It was a great day to test with a strong 1-2 club headwind. S400 cut through the wind and the 610 got beat up. Little touch shots were also more consistent. S400 was just better all around.

125 would have been much better

Cally Epic Speed w/ Accra
Titleist TSR3 16.5 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Ping G425 3 Hybrid w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Ping iCrossover 4 Iron w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Srixon ZX7 5-PW w/ PXLZ 6.0
Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

125 would have been much better

I didn't do the 125 because I have played the KBS Tour WEDGE shafts in both S and S+. The S+ was a pole and lacked feel. I think I've just demonstrated I love S400 in wedges too much to switch!

• 7 months later...

I recently put the 610's in my SM6 46,50,54, & 58 and couldn't be any happier about it. Was sooo tired of the ball spinning back away from the hole on approach shots as well as chips from greenside that did not release at all. If you are reading my post I'm sure u read the ones above as well and they do EVERYTHING that is advertised. They are so incredibly smooth too. I told only one of my boys about them and swore him to secrecy because these things are weapons. So if you have the same problems, RUN don't walk to ur local club fitter n GET EM DONE!!