2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Dryjoys vs. Icons

Just lay it on me. I've google searched a bit for rich forum discussions on the matter, but I just can't find good info on each shoe and comparisons to help me decide between getting FJ Dryjoys of FJ Icon Blacks.

This is what I'll end up choosing between:

Dryjoys (White / Brown Croc Print):

http://www.footjoy.com/dryjoys-tour/006DRY.html?dwvar_006DRY_color=53673#q=dryjoy&start=4

Icon Black (White / Chestnut Lizard Print or White / Dark Brown Croc Print)

http://www.footjoy.com/icon-black/005ICB.html?dwvar_005ICB_color=52006#q=icon&start=3

or

http://www.footjoy.com/icon-black/007ICB.html?dwvar_007ICB_color=52029#q=icon&start=1

Would love the hear what people think between the two in terms of conditions to use each shoe in, overall comfort, value in terms of pricing.

The bottom of those Dryjoys make it look like a realy comfy shoe but the icons looks so classy. Would love everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

DryJoys. I have the white/brown croc and absolutely love the style and comfort. Just make sure you keep them clean and use show trees!

Titleist TSi3 9* Ventus Black 6X
PXG 3w 0311XF 14* Tensei Pro Blue CK 70TX

Callaway Apex UW 20* Ventus Red 8X

Titleist T100 2021 4-PW DG Tour Issue X100
Titleist SM9 50,55,60 DG Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Merion Linksmater Bag - Pro V1x Left Dash 

Golf Pride BTC Cord Grips on em' all

I find that these shoes fit completely differently. Which is the best fit depends on the shape of your feet. I highly recommend that you try on each for fit before you buy.

In the Bag:

• Titleist 690MB Forged Irons 3-PW
  • TaylorMade M3 Driver with TENSEI Blue Stiff Shaft
  • TaylorMade V-Steel 15° 3-Wood
  • Titleist Spin Milled 56° and 60° Wedges
  • Scotty Cameron Newport Mil-Spec Putter

Icons - the DryJoys are a solid shoe but the Icons last longer for me. It may just be but whenever I've had DryJoys I've got about a season maybe a season and a half tops out of them. The icon Blacks I have now I've had for almot a season and they (with care and cleaning) still look as good as new.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I find that these shoes fit completely differently. Which is the best fit depends on the shape of your feet. I highly recommend that you try on each for fit before you buy.

Different in what way? I'm comfortable with a 9.5 wide Dryjoy. What size Icon? There are some 2014 Icons on ebay for about $100 and I wouldn't mind having a backup set.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Most people wear the same size shoe in an Icon or a DryJoys Tour. I find the feel is slightly different. But it really depends on how your shoe is fitting you now. The Icons come in the lasts below. Most are the Icon Laser Last. The traditional saddle comes in the Laser Last and definitely fit bigger in volume than the Icon Laser Last. So if you need a fuller foot model, the saddle is the way to go.

• Laser Last (styles 52039, 52005, 52013, 52054 and 52047) or Icon Laser Last
    Icon Laser Last - Contemporary, slightly squared toe character, standard fit across forefoot and instep, with a slightly narrow heel. The Icon Laser Last is a composite of thousands of digital scans of the FootJoy Laser Fitting System. Laser Last - Full rounded toe character, standard fit across forefoot and instep, with a slightly narrow heel.

And the DryJoys Tour come in the Laser Plus Last. As you can see, that last is pretty much the same as the Laser Last used in the Icon Saddle style shoe.

Laser Plus Last - Full rounded toe character, standard fit across forefoot and instep, with a slightly narrow heel. Thicker insole provides increased underfoot cushioning for enhanced comfort.

Personally, I like the Icon Laser Last, as I don't have a wide foot and that's what fits me best.

Good luck, you can't go wrong with FJ Icons. :-)

Different in what way? I'm comfortable with a 9.5 wide Dryjoy. What size Icon? There are some 2014 Icons on ebay for about $100 and I wouldn't mind having a backup set.

Are you talking about Icons or Icon Blacks? They are different and fit differently to me as well.

The Icon Blacks feel much roomier than the same size Icons and Dryjoys for my feet. But everyone's feet are different so be sure to try them on in a store before buying.

In the Bag:

Just got my first pairs of Myjoys, went with Icons. The shoe fits great in every aspect except the heel. I always wear 11 in FJ shoes, I have a narrow foot, got measured with the FJ device at golf shop. I was an 11 and just barely a medium, but the guy told me these run a little narrow so go with medium, however the width of the heel seems roomier than my other FJ shoes, anyone else run into this with the fit. I guess I will need thicker socks, any recommendations?

Ping G30 LS Tec 10.5 Tour 80S
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80S
Titleist AP2 714 3-PW
Mizuno MP-4t 52,56,60
Bettinardi BB8 Tour Prototype

Are you talking about Icons or Icon Blacks? They are different and fit differently to me as well.

The Icon Blacks feel much roomier than the same size Icons and Dryjoys for my feet. But everyone's feet are different so be sure to try them on in a store before buying.

I'm a bottom feeder (sort of) so I'm looking at the discounted 2014 version Icons. Saddle shoe type.

I've been wearing the similar style saddle shoe Dry Joy Tour's and they fit fine. I'm assuming these Icon's will fit fine as well. Hesitating on the purchase though because I've already got a spare pair of Dry Joys and I don't want to become a shoe-ho.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I'm a bottom feeder (sort of) so I'm looking at the discounted 2014 version Icons. Saddle shoe type.

I've been wearing the similar style saddle shoe Dry Joy Tour's and they fit fine. I'm assuming these Icon's will fit fine as well. Hesitating on the purchase though because I've already got a spare pair of Dry Joys and I don't want to become a shoe-ho.

Owning three pairs of golf shoes is not even close to a shoe-ho! I don't think that starts until after maybe, five pair. :-)

I just don't understand the Icon look. Why can't shoe companies make shoes that conform to the shape of a foot? Why have 2 inches of pointy toe that does nothing to support the foot? Looks like a cowboy boot with those toes.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I've got five different styles of Icons and for my normal shaped foot, my toes fill the toe box as they're designed. There's not two inches of pointy toe with nothing there.

Just got my first pairs of Myjoys, went with Icons. The shoe fits great in every aspect except the heel. I always wear 11 in FJ shoes, I have a narrow foot, got measured with the FJ device at golf shop. I was an 11 and just barely a medium, but the guy told me these run a little narrow so go with medium, however the width of the heel seems roomier than my other FJ shoes, anyone else run into this with the fit. I guess I will need thicker socks, any recommendations?

Thorlo max-padded socks are about as thick as you'll find. I like the tennis style for wearing with shorts. About three times a year Thorlo has a buy three get a forth free promo for the best deal. Enjoy your MyJoys!

If they don't fit, don't be afraid to return them for another size under the 30-day comfort warranty. I had to return my MyJoy Icons twice before I received a properly fit pair.

In the Bag:

Best golf socks out there......Kentwool

http://www.kentwool.com

I have both and I much prefer the fit for the Dryjoys. Got the Icons at a golf tournament is the only reason I have them. I have been wearing Dryjoy (oh yes...they are the saddle versions...best style every) for years. If you keep them clean they will last forever. I don't wear the same pair of shoes every time I play but I do play a lot of golf (upwards of 150 or more rounds per year) and I have perfectly good Dryjoys that are 6 years old and still keep my feet dry.

How about fricken NO!. $300 for a pair of saddles? I would not be caught dead on the course in saddle shoes. Worst style ever.

Luckily, no one is going to force you to buy them or wear them. I hope you're going to be alright! :-)

Actually just a bit of a running gag brought over from an old deceased golf forum. Probably won't catch on here, but might bring back fond memories for a couple of posters. I've had saddles in the past but am a Puma guy now so don't have any, but truth be told I'm glad Puma hasn't gone down the saddle road as they do look a bit 'old fart' imho.