Guitar/guitar players thread

thug the bunny ·  
thug the bunnythug the bunny Members  6141WRX Points: 150Handicap: 8.2Posts: 6,141 Titanium Tees
I coulda sworn there was a thread on this already, but I did a search, and nada. Even if there were, it is so buried might as well start a new one. Oh yeah you bass players are included as guitarists.

I'm thinking mention what song(s) you love to play (instead of just genres) and why.

I haven't played since around new year's, been working on travel a lot, but in anticipation of being able to stay home more and maybe play with my buds from an old band, I put some new Boomers on my Tele and plugged in. Man, I miss playing, miss that sound. Felt good!

I always enjoyed playing Tom Petty 'I Need to Know'. Simple, fun, driving Tele sound, and we put an extended guitar solo in in. Always a crowd pleaser.

Posted:

Comments

• MattTheTaffMattTheTaff Oh, I used to be disgusted.. and now I try to be amused Members  2252WRX Points: 1Posts: 2,252 Bunkers
    I'm a 335/345/355 nut and love playing Freddie King songs such as 'Tore Down' and 'have you ever loved a woman'
    Posted:
    Titleist 905R - 10.5°
    Titleist 904f - 17°
    Cleveland Mashie - 20.5°
    Mizuno MP32 - 3-PW
    Cleveland 588 Forged 54°/60°
    Wilson Staff 8882
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SixtySomePingSixtySomePing Members  5292WRX Points: 2,571Posts: 5,292 Titanium Tees
    ^^^^ This... 335 and 355... Love Gibsons... sound, quality, feel, have always been a winner. That being said, I also like the Gibson Les Paul as well.

I've always found Sweetwater a fun place to go drool ---> http://www.sweetwater.com/

Played in several bands when I was younger, just rhythm though, not lead so probably can't answer your question like some others. My style would be more like the Eagles etc.

Have some fun with open G tuning, several songs out there with that (a la Keith Richards)
    Posted:
  • TailgaterTailgater Tailgating on the Back 9 Members  453WRX Points: 62Posts: 453 Greens
    I want to learn to play the bass guitar. Can I teach myself?
    Posted:
    Married to Callaway Clubs but I cheat with Nike Clubs on occasion.
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members  10322WRX Points: 569Handicap: 12Posts: 10,322 Titanium Tees
    Tailgater wrote:

I did. Only because our bass man hardly showed for practice..lol
    Posted:
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P stnd. cord
    Mizuno T 7 52 T 20 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
    Eureka Ca. 
  • thug the bunnythug the bunny Members  6141WRX Points: 150Handicap: 8.2Posts: 6,141 Titanium Tees
    Tailgater wrote:

Of course. There's tons of online downloadable instruction. I would not recommend just picking up an ax and going it alone, although I did, but I had friends to learn with who were taking lessons (I just realized that I leeched off of them, yes!) One thing that really helps is if you have an 'ear'. If you can separate out and vocally hum the chord/bass progression of a song, you can pretty much pick up anything.
    Posted:
  • mizleftmizleft Members  411WRX Points: 0Posts: 411
    Purchased my daughter a Tim Armstrong Gretsch with bigsby recently.she plays left and loves the sound.rocky street sounds in New York.these guys are awesome.shipped to Canada with no issues.

I have an ovation that I tinker with.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members  10322WRX Points: 569Handicap: 12Posts: 10,322 Titanium Tees
    mizleft wrote:

Purchased my daughter a Tim Armstrong Gretsch with bigsby recently.she plays left and loves the sound.rocky street sounds in New York.these guys are awesome.shipped to Canada with no issues.

What model is your Ovation?
    Posted:
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
    Eureka Ca. 
    Celebrity deluxe.just had a set up done on it new strings.sounds awesome.
    Posted:
  • thug the bunnythug the bunny Members  6141WRX Points: 150Handicap: 8.2Posts: 6,141 Titanium Tees
    mizleft wrote:

Ovations have a great bright sound, they really project. Never liked the way they slide off your lap though..
    Posted:
    Agree with the sliding part!typically play mine with strap.tough to India a good stand as well.ill take those issues for the sound that it produces.
    Posted:

mizleft wrote:

Ovations have a great bright sound, they really project. Never liked the way they slide off your lap though..
    image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> Only guitar I had/have that doesn't get buckle rash.
    Posted:
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
    Eureka Ca. 

Advertisement
    2putttom wrote:

mizleft wrote:

image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> Only guitar I had/have that doesn't get buckle rash.

An Ovie might actually give your belt buckle a rash.

My buddie once wanted me to try his new PRS, and I had my shirt untucked covering my belt buckle, but to make sure took my belt off...
    Posted:

I'm a 335/345/355 nut and love playing Freddie King songs such as 'Tore Down' and 'have you ever loved a woman'

Yessir, The old school classic blues/rock sound. That's the one sound I can't create with my Tele or humbucker Schecter. My many other addictions preclude me from even contemplating purchasing a guitar like that. Sigh...
    Posted:
  • jlt73jlt73 Members  991WRX Points: 35Handicap: 20Posts: 991 Golden Tee
    I used to play everyday for years. I was in a band that was signed to a larger minor label. I got to tour and record, which was a lot of fun. I got paid (well not really much at all) to see the country.

That being said, after all of the touring and non stop playing, I got burnt out a little bit, I didn't play guitar for a couple of years and now I just starting to get the itch again.

Personally, I enjoy playing a little bit of everything from Aerosmith to Alice in Chains to Slayer and everything in between.
    Posted:
    Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
    Taylormade Jetspeed 3 Wood (RIP Alpha)
    Taylormade SLDR 5 Wood (Kai'li)
    Ping G25 (4-U) (Nippon 950gh)
    Taylormade ATV 58*
    Bettinardi Signature 6
  • SixtySomePingSixtySomePing Members  5292WRX Points: 2,571Posts: 5,292 Titanium Tees
    mizleft wrote:

Good for her, and you made a good pick- Gretsch's are nice. I would suggest she always use the string sizes that it came with (or whatever they recommended since it has a bigsby .011 to .048 or more maybe?) She should have fun with that...
    Posted:
  • tocinotocino Members  2373WRX Points: 144Posts: 2,373 Platinum Tees
    are ukelele players guitarists? If so I used to play a lot of iz, fiji, ka'au crater boys, and a whole bunch of uke covers for reggae songs (way too many to list). My eldest daughter has since appropriated my lanikai tenor and plays it a lot more and better than I do.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Seriously guys if u are in the market for a new guitar the guys from street sounds will hook you up

I don't get paid to advertise them but they are the real deal .purchased ax synth as well from alto music from New York

Fantastic to deal with.wish Canadian dollar was close to par Maui would be on the radar again

As Richard says fairways and greens lads
    Posted:
  • billyhandsomefacebillyhandsomeface Members  1039WRX Points: 42Handicap: 9.3Posts: 1,039 Platinum Tees
    I play a Martin DR and have an Epiphone Les Paul. I like to play along with the Cars and the Strokes. I go through phases though.
    Posted:
    I AM AN FBI AGENT!!!!

I play a Martin DR and have an Epiphone Les Paul. I like to play along with the Cars and the Strokes. I go through phases though.

That guitar player for the Cars was really good. His playing defined that industrial post glam pop sound of the Cars. And his leads were sick.
    Posted:
  • deetsaldeetsal deetsal Members  1390WRX Points: 44Handicap: 6Posts: 1,390 Platinum Tees
    One of my golf buddies makes his living playing guitar. The other day I looked at him and said "you will never know the pure joy and freedom of playing a air guitar.
    Posted:
  • billyhandsomefacebillyhandsomeface Members  1039WRX Points: 42Handicap: 9.3Posts: 1,039 Platinum Tees

That guitar player for the Cars was really good. His playing defined that industrial post glam pop sound of the Cars. And his leads were sick.

Elliot Easton. I love his playing. Quirky/rockabilly/bluesy all at the same time. He bends a note and you know it's him. The sign of great guitar player.
    Posted:
    I AM AN FBI AGENT!!!!

Advertisement

Elliot Easton. I love his playing. Quirky/rockabilly/bluesy all at the same time. He bends a note and you know it's him. The sign of great guitar player.

This post just made 'Touch and Go' pop into my head. Now that was a great guitar solo. Beautiful structure and phrasing.

[background=rgba(28, 28, 28, 0.8)]
    Posted:

This post just made 'Touch and Go' pop into my head. Now that was a great guitar solo. Beautiful structure and phrasing.

[background=rgba(28, 28, 28, 0.8)][/background]

Oh yeah, I love this solo. The outro is also incredible. My favorite solo by him is "Shake it Up". It is so fast and catchy. I can't imagine the song without it. I also love the solo and outro in "You're All I've Got Tonight" as well. He is incredibly underrated. He is in a new group called the Empty Hearts with guys from the Romantics, Heart, and Blondie. They are pretty good as well, but the Cars also had great bass lines from Ben Orr. Such a great band IMO. My Dad even likes them!! His vinyl goes from Waylon, Willie, Buddy Holly, to the Cars!
    Posted:
    I AM AN FBI AGENT!!!!
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members  23360WRX Points: 7,336Posts: 23,360 Titanium Tees

Oh yeah, I love this solo. The outro is also incredible. My favorite solo by him is "Shake it Up". It is so fast and catchy. I can't imagine the song without it. I also love the solo and outro in "You're All I've Got Tonight" as well. He is incredibly underrated. He is in a new group called the Empty Hearts with guys from the Romantics, Heart, and Blondie. They are pretty good as well, but the Cars also had great bass lines from Ben Orr. Such a great band IMO. My Dad even likes them!! His vinyl goes from Waylon, Willie, Buddy Holly, to the Cars!

Totally agree. Any decent guitarist can create a solo if they're given no constraints. However, Easton's solos almost always had to fit within 8 or 16 bars. He was classic "less-is-more". He didn't simply try to jam in as many notes as possible, but rather focused on something catchy.

My favorite solo is also "Shake It Up". "My Best Friend's Girl", "Just What I Needed", "Double Life", and "Touch and Go" are also classic.
    Posted:
    Anyone dig Wishbone Ash? My dad turned me on to them when I was younger. "The king will come" is an amazing song!

https://youtu.be/Tna0Mmu1XlI
    Posted:
    Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
    Taylormade ATV 58*
    Bettinardi Signature 6
    jlt73 wrote:

Anyone dig Wishbone Ash? My dad turned me on to them when I was younger. "The king will come" is an amazing song!

https://youtu.be/Tna0Mmu1XlI
    Awww the good ol days. Music innovation at it's peek
    Posted:
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
    Eureka Ca. 

Advertisement
  • HoosierHacker89HoosierHacker89 IndianapolisMembers  2748WRX Points: 169Handicap: my swingPosts: 2,748 Titanium Tees
    I used to play a lot. Really have the desire to get back into music
    Posted:
    Ping g400 Max 9
    Cobra Bio Cell 16* kuro kage TiNi 70s
    Cobra f6 baffler 19* matrix code 8
    Srixon 765 4-A modus 120s
    Cleveland Rtx-3 58* Ttdg
    Odyssey white hot 2 ball 33” 
    Camo hoofer 

I used to play a lot. Really have the desire to get back into music
    Do it. Playing is a great outlet and heaven knows that the world is a better place with music in it.
    Posted:
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
    Eureka Ca. 
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members  23360WRX Points: 7,336Posts: 23,360 Titanium Tees
    Tailgater wrote:

Yes, probably the easiest instrument to pick up. There are plenty of instructional videos available to help.

For starters, pick up a decent used Fender Precision bass. A recent American model if you can afford it, but the lower priced Mexican built models are playable. If you decide not to stick with it, the Fenders hold their value, and you'll break even or lose a handful of dollars on resale. Trying to learn on a piece of junk is frustrating. Playing on a quality instrument is easier, which encourages you to play more.

Second recommendation is to start by playing with your fingers, and not a guitar pick. It's easier to play with a pick at first, but avoid the temptation.

Thirdly, accept that the bass is a rhythm instrument, and not a lead instrument. I've seen too many wannabe guitarists pick up the bass, and try to play it like a guitar. The world has enough guitarists, but not enough bassists. Personally, I prefer the less-is-more school of bass. One doesn't need to play a zillion notes to make a good bass line. For the most part, the best bass lines are fairly simple. Your main focus is on the drummer's bass drum.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Argonne69 wrote:

Tailgater wrote:

Thirdly, accept that the bass is a rhythm instrument, and not a lead instrument. I've seen too many wannabe guitarists pick up the bass, and try to play it like a guitar. The world has enough guitarists, but not enough bassists. Personally, I prefer the less-is-more school of bass. One doesn't need to play a zillion notes to make a good bass line. For the most part, the best bass lines are fairly simple. Your main focus is on the drummer's bass drum.

Tell that to Primus!

By all means you are correct, but playing bass properly is not easier than any other instrument.
    Posted:
    Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
    Taylormade ATV 58*
    Bettinardi Signature 6

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.