Homer Snead

dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,013 ✭✭
I found this article interesting. They just don't write stories like this anymore. http://www.si.com/vault/1965/07/05/606332/the-hardesthitting-snead

Ping G400
Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
Ping G 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Jones Utility
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Comments

• Blade JunkieBlade Junkie ClubWRX Posts: 2,210 ClubWRX
    dlygrisse wrote:

I found this article interesting. They just don't write stories like this anymore. http://www.si.com/va...sthitting-snead

Solid GOLD ! Thanks for the link image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    "Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty"

Harry Vardon (1870-1937)
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,013 ✭✭
    Homer sounded like quit a character. They just don't make them like that anymore.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • gsea33gsea33 Members Posts: 668 ✭✭
    great article, thanks for sharing. after todays ball striking show I could of used a lesson from Homer.

Titleist 975D 10.5
    Titleist 975F 14.5
    Titleist 975F 20.5
    Ping Eye 2 2, 4-SW BECU
    Titleist Acushnet Bullseye

• oldschoolrockeroldschoolrocker Members Posts: 5,094 ✭✭
    Simply brilliant
  • Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 Go Green MichiganMembers Posts: 4,410 ✭✭
    Adding my kudos as well. That article put a smile on my face this a.m. Thanks for sharing.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs
  • Les StrokesLes Strokes Members Posts: 398 ✭✭

Bumping this thread. I found the same link today, great story.

• JiggeredJiggered Midlands UKMembers Posts: 458 ✭✭

Thanks for bumping, that was an excellent read!

It's not all about the score.
    edited Mar 24, 2019 11:46pm #9

Very welcome. Somebody should interview Forged4Ever and get his stories into print

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,652 ✭✭
    edited Mar 25, 2019 1:23am #10

I love stories of old school golf hard as-ed gents like this
    Thx for sharing

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Play Golf With Him The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,614 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 30, 2019 7:03pm #11

Thanks Les for bumping this thread along with the message and DL for posting!!

Maddie got along great with Homer, went to his service/funeral and he left her his God awful Mac Tommy Armour 693 persimmon driver that looked like he had raked his gravel parking lot with it from his place’s opening till his last day, lolol. Amazingly, he could crush that thing, even into his 70’s(he passed in his early 80’s).

Those that knew him well down there said that though he had some health problems prior, when Pete passed, it hit him hard. He went downhill after that as They talked a lot, talked a lot of s*** to each other but loved each other immensely. Pete was much closer to Homer than Sam.

Homer didn’t like anyone but he loved Madison, lol. he said that he liked “blondes with spunk,” lolol😂. Supposedly Maddie was the only person that he ever turned the lights back on for cuz she was Playin in a Tourney down there, was tryin to work out a kink in her swing and he didn’t see her down the line and shut em down.

When she asked the kid to go ask Homer to please give her 15-20 more minutes, he chirped “never happen,” though he walked into the “shop” to ask Homer. Shortly thereafter, Madison heard the crickety window go up, then Homer’s Southern growl bellowed, “15 Blondie,” and the lights came back on, lololol. The kid met Maddie on her way back to the shop and asked her who she was as he’d never seen Homer turn the lights back on for anyone, and that included two Tour Pros and Madison just smiled and replied, “Blondie,” lolol.

I’ll say one thing and then his is no joke, I believe that he could go toe to toe with Sam length wise back in the day and he, like Sam, was a physical freak. Didn’t look near his age. Pete looked more “human,” lolol.

Homer was far and away the funniest Snead and the amazing thing is that he didn’t try to be funny.

The Sneads were genetically gifted, no doubt about it!!

Thanks again for posting and the message on this thread👊

May God Bless them all and I hope that ole benny boy is up there either in their group or stuck between em on a bench~

That sawed off lil pr*** deserves that😂😂

I told Maddie and hopefully she drops in😊

Stay well Gents🍻
    RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Thanks Richard for sharing. You should write a book

• BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,171 ✭✭

Yep Richard's stories about Pete Snead are always entertaining. But now that I read this article I think I may be a little like Homer but I do like people. Yeah gotta totally agree with him about a club pro job and club pros in general. Yeah I can say that because I have held several assistant pro jobs in the past. LOL why do you think I drive a truck for a living now? When I retire I would love to own a driving range sorta on the mode Homer had his

Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stock Regular shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
    Irons 3 thru 9 KZG Kyoei Forged CB 1st generation Swing Science 400 Graphite Senior flex
    PW Cleveland Special 588 45* bent to 47* Stock Cleveland Steel Shaft
    SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore S-300 ( old dependable)
    Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft rusty and lead taped as heck named "Rusty"
    Bag-- Jones Classic non stand
    Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want **** the USGA & R&A
    Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
    Vintage
    Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
    3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
    Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green or 1980 Macgregor VIP 3 thru PW Hogan Apex #2 shafts " The famous Bastardized Macs"
    PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
    SW Macgregor LRA 56* S-400 DJ Special-- Will rotate out when old dependable does not behave
    Putter ( subject to change) Lil David 8802
    Bag Old School Power Bilt orange mini staff

A lot of businesses make great extra coin on shirts, hats and gear. "Big Stu's" has a great ring to it, and would look good on a lot of different merchandise. If only there was a Big Stu's range around here, with grass tees and a burger shack attached, lol ...

• Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Play Golf With Him The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,614 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 31, 2019 3:27pm #15

@BIG STU said:
    Yep Richard's stories about Pete Snead are always entertaining. But now that I read this article I think I may be a little like Homer but I do like people. Yeah gotta totally agree with him about a club pro job and club pros in general. Yeah I can say that because I have held several assistant pro jobs in the past. LOL why do you think I drive a truck for a living now? When I retire I would love to own a driving range sorta on the mode Homer had his

Hey Brother, I hope that you’re hittin some fairways, greens & making some putts😊

Homer actually did like people, having them around and he loved bein Sam’s Bro, lolol. There was a group of driving range regulars, and Homer loved having them around, as much like my range, we spent more time in the shop jawin than guys did on the line, lolol. When I had to get some real work done, I rarely hit at my range, usually going to the club.

Regarding Pete, after he retired from the our place(Pgh Field Club), he got a few investors, my Father included, and bought a cow 🐄 pasture, lolol, Rose Ridge, which had a lil goat track and driving range and he set up shop there. He sold it some years later and then would give lessons out of our range, until his last few years, when he was at home, and he had a handful of students, Nathan, Bob Friend(Friend, not Ford, lol), whose Pops was former Pirate pitcher Bob Friend, Maddie, myself and a few others, including occasionally Rocco & Jim Furyk and he would sit in his rocker on his front porch and we’d be in front of him in the front yard, lol. Much to his chagrin, occasionally I would have to end one of our “shadow” sessions, ie., no balls hit, by dropping a ball that I always had in my pocket to check my traj/ball flight and airmailing a 6-7i over the house across the street and into the back yard/woods behind, lol.

Homer was a rougher edged Sam, where as Pete not only dressed up nice, he also knew how to play the game exceedingly well, and I learned the most from him of all of my Mentors regarding people skills and interpersonal communication. He was a kind considerate caring Man, until it was time to cease being kind considerate & caring😉

Stay well Bro & I hope that you have a great season👊!!

Always,
    Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24