Homer Snead

dlygrisse ·  
dlygrissedlygrisse Kansas 13825WRX Points: 1,365Handicap: 8-ishMembers Posts: 13,825 Titanium Tees
I found this article interesting. They just don't write stories like this anymore. http://www.si.com/vault/1965/07/05/606332/the-hardesthitting-snead
Posted:
I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
Callaway Apex 23*
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Jones Utility
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Comments

• Blade JunkieBlade Junkie  2232WRX Points: 124Handicap: 10.8ClubWRX Posts: 2,232 ClubWRX
    dlygrisse wrote:

I found this article interesting. They just don't write stories like this anymore. http://www.si.com/va...sthitting-snead

Solid GOLD ! Thanks for the link image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    "Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty"

Harry Vardon (1870-1937)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Kansas 13825WRX Points: 1,365Handicap: 8-ishMembers Posts: 13,825 Titanium Tees
    Homer sounded like quit a character. They just don't make them like that anymore.
    Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • gsea33gsea33  740WRX Points: 183Handicap: 9Members Posts: 740 Golden Tee
    great article, thanks for sharing. after todays ball striking show I could of used a lesson from Homer.
    Posted:

Titleist 975D 10.5
    Titleist 975F 14.5
    Titleist 975F 20.5
    Ping Eye 2 2, 4-SW BECU
    Titleist Acushnet Bullseye

• oldschoolrockeroldschoolrocker  5096WRX Points: 167Members Posts: 5,096 Titanium Tees
    Simply brilliant
    Posted:
  • Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 Michigan 4665WRX Points: 2,175Members Posts: 4,665 Titanium Tees
    Adding my kudos as well. That article put a smile on my face this a.m. Thanks for sharing.
    Posted:
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs
  • Les StrokesLes Strokes  518WRX Points: 123Members Posts: 518 Golden Tee

Bumping this thread. I found the same link today, great story.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • JiggeredJiggered Midlands UK 533WRX Points: 175Handicap: 12Members Posts: 533 Golden Tee

Thanks for bumping, that was an excellent read!

Posted:
    It's not all about the score.

Very welcome. Somebody should interview Forged4Ever and get his stories into print

Posted:
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 13324WRX Points: 2,193Handicap: 1.6Members Posts: 13,324 Titanium Tees

I love stories of old school golf hard as-ed gents like this
    Thx for sharing

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* GD Pershing 55x
    Ping G400 3w 15.1* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 5w 18* Aldila NVS Pink 85x 
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919T 6 - GW UST 95 Recoil f4 
    Ping Glide SS 54* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil f4
    Piretti Matera Elite 

'19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7

Thanks Richard for sharing. You should write a book

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BIG STUBIG STU  12557WRX Points: 3,175Handicap: 5.0Members Posts: 12,557 Titanium Tees

Yep Richard's stories about Pete Snead are always entertaining. But now that I read this article I think I may be a little like Homer but I do like people. Yeah gotta totally agree with him about a club pro job and club pros in general. Yeah I can say that because I have held several assistant pro jobs in the past. LOL why do you think I drive a truck for a living now? When I retire I would love to own a driving range sorta on the mode Homer had his

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Adams Boxer 19* Matrix Ozik R
    Hybrid Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch red R
    Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Cleveland 588 56* TTDG Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe rusty and lead taped named "Rusty"
    Bag(s) Old School Burton plain mini staff or Jones Classic

A lot of businesses make great extra coin on shirts, hats and gear. "Big Stu's" has a great ring to it, and would look good on a lot of different merchandise. If only there was a Big Stu's range around here, with grass tees and a burger shack attached, lol ...

Posted:
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Spend 4+ Hours With Him on a Golf Course⛳️ The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene pool 15905WRX Points: 1,142ClubWRX Posts: 15,905 ClubWRX

On -, @BIG STU said:

Yep Richard's stories about Pete Snead are always entertaining. But now that I read this article I think I may be a little like Homer but I do like people. Yeah gotta totally agree with him about a club pro job and club pros in general. Yeah I can say that because I have held several assistant pro jobs in the past. LOL why do you think I drive a truck for a living now? When I retire I would love to own a driving range sorta on the mode Homer had his

Hey Brother, I hope that you’re hittin some fairways, greens & making some putts😊

Homer actually did like people, having them around and he loved bein Sam’s Bro, lolol. There was a group of driving range regulars, and Homer loved having them around, as much like my range, we spent more time in the shop jawin than guys did on the line, lolol. When I had to get some real work done, I rarely hit at my range, usually going to the club.

Regarding Pete, after he retired from the our place(Pgh Field Club), he got a few investors, my Father included, and bought a cow 🐄 pasture, lolol, Rose Ridge, which had a lil goat track and driving range and he set up shop there. He sold it some years later and then would give lessons out of our range, until his last few years, when he was at home, and he had a handful of students, Nathan, Bob Friend(Friend, not Ford, lol), whose Pops was former Pirate pitcher Bob Friend, Maddie, myself and a few others, including occasionally Rocco & Jim Furyk and he would sit in his rocker on his front porch and we’d be in front of him in the front yard, lol. Much to his chagrin, occasionally I would have to end one of our “shadow” sessions, ie., no balls hit, by dropping a ball that I always had in my pocket to check my traj/ball flight and airmailing a 6-7i over the house across the street and into the back yard/woods behind, lol.

Homer was a rougher edged Sam, where as Pete not only dressed up nice, he also knew how to play the game exceedingly well, and I learned the most from him of all of my Mentors regarding people skills and interpersonal communication. He was a kind considerate caring Man, until it was time to cease being kind considerate & caring😉

Stay well Bro & I hope that you have a great season👊!!

Always,
    Richard

Posted:
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • mocokidmocokid  2125WRX Points: 321Members Posts: 2,125 Platinum Tees

On -, @dlygrisse said:

I found this article interesting. They just don't write stories like this anymore. http://www.si.com/vault/1965/07/05/606332/the-hardesthitting-snead

Great story, reminds me that at one time SI had distinguished writers, that is so well written. GREAT.

Posted:
  • siegs07siegs07  86WRX Points: 32Members Posts: 86 Fairways

What an outstanding read. Thank you for sharing.

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 Driver
    Cobra King F9 Tour 5w
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-PW
    Mizuno T7 52° and 58°
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport

Advertisement
  • BIG STUBIG STU  12557WRX Points: 3,175Handicap: 5.0Members Posts: 12,557 Titanium Tees

On -, @Les Strokes said:

A lot of businesses make great extra coin on shirts, hats and gear. "Big Stu's" has a great ring to it, and would look good on a lot of different merchandise. If only there was a Big Stu's range around here, with grass tees and a burger shack attached, lol ...

How did you know I could cook a pretty mean burger? and pretty decent Boston Butts too.

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Adams Boxer 19* Matrix Ozik R
    Hybrid Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch red R
    Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Cleveland 588 56* TTDG Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe rusty and lead taped named "Rusty"
    Bag(s) Old School Burton plain mini staff or Jones Classic

• deejaiddeejaid  788WRX Points: 681Members Posts: 788 Golden Tee

That was a fun read. Thanks for bumping this thread.

Posted:
    The bag...
    Late 1950’s Stan Thompson Reactionizer Woods 1-4
    Early 1980’s Palmer “The Deacon” irons 3-PW (Hoganized with Apex 4 shafts)
    1958 Wilson Triple Duty wedge
    Ping Day putter

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.