Need Impartial Advice on a Golf Investment

pierso2

Ok everyone! I am in need of some advice on this...I have the opportunity to buy a launch monitor with all the software, laptop, cords, and projector for a very good price. I have about half of what I need to pay for it but I can get the other half pretty easily if I put in some overtime at work. I live in Illinois so golfing weather is maybe 6 months. For the other 6 months, you've gotta go to indoor domes or golf simulator places.

Club wise, I'm set. I've got quite a few putters, tons of irons, too many drivers to think of, and you get the picture. I don't need any clubs for a while.

I love understanding what's going on with the golf ball and how a slight change can greatly impact what the ball does and ultimately, my game. I've been fit for my wedges, I fit myself for irons, and I've got a pretty good idea as to what I need in a driver.

I have super tall ceilings in my garage so I can easily put it up in there and bring it with me when I go to the range at my course.

Also, I have a few golfing friends who would probably come by and use it during the winter and we can play rounds on it as well as help dial in our bags.

I've worked as a club fitter at a few places and I've had a lot of experience with launch monitors. I could use this to set up my own club fitting as well as again, using it as a simulator during the long Illinois winters.

All of that leads to my brain to saying "do it go ahead and buy one!"

Here's the kicker...my fiance and I are moving into our new townhome in May and I'm sure we'll need some things for it but right now, we're set. I've mentioned it to her that I wanted to get a launch monitor and how it'll be great for us to play indoors and all of that. She doesn't hate the idea but she isn't saying "ok go buy one!" (I know that probably wont happen ever).

I'd appreciate any advice from owners of launch monitors and if they feel they are worth it and if they have run into any issues with them as far as maintenance or operation. Also, if you have any advice on how to tell her without getting chewed out, I'd appreciate it!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you still have a wide open space to set up the monitor with a net range in the new town home? That'd be the determining factor in all of this IMO

If you have such a space, where you can keep the indoor range up at all times without needing to always put it up and take it down each time you want to use it, then I'd say go for it! Don't let Chicago's temperamental weather keep you from golfing when you want ever again!

If you want it, buy it now. Once you buy your new place it will suck up all of your money. New places just do. "We really ought to have new towels to match the new paint, that matches the new carpet, that matches the new window coverings."

As for telling her, I'd just say that the new place is going to be your focus for awhile and you'd really like to do this.

What this really is is an opportunity for the two of you to have a discussion about money and future purchases. Nobody wants to do that, but they should. My husband and I have decided that any optional purchase over $250 requires a discussion. I know other couples who each have a mad money stash they can use for whatever they like. I also know plenty of couples who hide purchases from each other and then fight about them.

Whatever you do, don't use the "It'll pay for itself over time because of all the money you'll be saving by not running off to hit balls at some indoor dome" line. We're trained to sniff out that kind of b.s. and call you on it.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

If you want it, buy it now. Once you buy your new place it will suck up all of your money. New places just do. "We really ought to have new towels to match the new paint, that matches the new carpet, that matches the new window coverings."

As for telling her, I'd just say that the new place is going to be your focus for awhile and you'd really like to do this.

What this really is is an opportunity for the two of you to have a discussion about money and future purchases. Nobody wants to do that, but they should. My husband and I have decided that any optional purchase over $250 requires a discussion. I know other couples who each have a mad money stash they can use for whatever they like. I also know plenty of couples who hide purchases from each other and then fight about them.

Whatever you do, don't use the "It'll pay for itself over time because of all the money you'll be saving by not running off to hit balls at some indoor dome" line. We're trained to sniff out that kind of b.s. and call you on it.

^ This. We even have gone the step beyond that and "earn" side money so we can purchase whatever we want without hearing gripes and arguments. There's more than one way to go about it, you're always going to get the grumble be it a small golf purchase or a larger one...as long as you didn't get the outright NO it's better to do it and ask for forgiveness later than discuss it first. Lol

Will you still have a wide open space to set up the monitor with a net range in the new town home? That'd be the determining factor in all of this IMO

If you have such a space, where you can keep the indoor range up at all times without needing to always put it up and take it down each time you want to use it, then I'd say go for it! Don't let Chicago's temperamental weather keep you from golfing when you want ever again!

Yeah we have a really big 2 car garage with high ceilings, space on both sides for storage. The advantage of the one I want is that it uses cameras so I don't need an extreme amount of space to get ball data like a doppler radar unit would need. I have a 3 sided net at my parents' house that I rigged with pulleys so when it's not in use, I just pull it up. Also I have a professional quality mat. I could go from parking to driving range in about 20 minutes at the most.

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Adams MB2 GW

Option 2
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

Yeah I agree. We'll have lots of things we'll need once we get in there. Fortunately, we have been blessed with very giving and supportive families with a lot of extra furniture as well as a seller who is super generous and is leaving us a lot of stuff too.

Between housewarming presents and wedding presents, I'm sure we'll have a lot of the necessary things.

She works for a bank so she's very good with her money and I'm learning to keep up. We do need to have the money conversation about what's the limit to spend with our "fun money."

The way I look at it is that I have money from items I've sold and I can make up the rest doing yard work for people this summer and rent out the launch monitor to others to use for club data or playing indoors or as an instruction guide. I teach a few people on the side so it's worth it on that end. Also, I caddie on Saturdays so I can make up some cash doing that.

I'm not a fan of the "mad money" stash or hiding purchases from each other. Honesty is the best policy so I'll tell her this is my last big purchase before we move and get married. All the wedding gifts will be what she wants so this will be mine. We already made the joke that you can't register for Tervis Tumblers and Yeti coolers. And there's no wedding registry at PGA Superstore.

I think I'll be honest and give her the heads up and then go for it.

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Adams MB2 GW

Option 2
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

An investment assumes that you will have ROI. ROI will come from fitting fees and margin on the components you will sell on building the clubs. If you can market to and obtain customer and make money, I would do it.

However, it sounds like this is something that you will use mainly for yourself and your buddies(who will call you up all of the time and get some LM time.) Your fiance won't tell you not to buy it to keep the peace. She is hoping you don't buy it, and have the common sense to be fiscally responsible.

I would let it go and focus on the real things that matter in life. Unless of course you are going to create a business out of this. Then you need to factor in the cost vs. the average revenue built per customer and find your break even. But then again if I were on the other side of the desk, I'd rather pay the fitting fee and have access to a full line of inventory which is something you don't have.

So it boils down to this; this is not an investment it is an expense.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

An investment assumes that you will have ROI. ROI will come from fitting fees and margin on the components you will sell on building the clubs. If you can market to and obtain customer and make money, I would do it.

However, it sounds like this is something that you will use mainly for yourself and your buddies(who will call you up all of the time and get some LM time.) Your fiance won't tell you not to buy it to keep the peace. She is hoping you don't buy it, and have the common sense to be fiscally responsible.

I would let it go and focus on the real things that matter in life. Unless of course you are going to create a business out of this. Then you need to factor in the cost vs. the average revenue built per customer and find your break even. But then again if I were on the other side of the desk, I'd rather pay the fitting fee and have access to a full line of inventory which is something you don't have.

I agree this is more of an expense than an investment (I call it an investment because it doesn't hurt my wallet as much). And although it'll take time to get my money back, I could certainly lessen the amount of money that I am spending on it now.

Certainly I won't be able to do a full fitting like what most high end stores can do but I can rent it out to people to use to help them with their game and swing. $20 an hour to use my launch monitor is a lot better than $60+ for a lesson that's more of eyeballing if the pro doesn't have a LM.

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Adams MB2 GW

Option 2
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

If you have the cash, your fiancee agrees (definitely don't go behind her back), have the space and you know you're going to use it continually then go for it. If you have a tendency to make purchases and stop using them (ie. people who want to get in shape and buy a treadmill then stop using it 3 months down the line), then I would skip it.

I agree this is more of an expense than an investment (I call it an investment because it doesn't hurt my wallet as much). And although it'll take time to get my money back, I could certainly lessen the amount of money that I am spending on it now.

Certainly I won't be able to do a full fitting like what most high end stores can do but I can rent it out to people to use to help them with their game and swing. $20 an hour to use my launch monitor is a lot better than $60+ for a lesson that's more of eyeballing if the pro doesn't have a LM.

This last bit is a dangerous and likely faulty mentality, IMO. Renting out your home/garage for people to use as a range/fitting room is the kind of thing that sounds infinitely better while talking about it with your friends over a pint than it does at 5:30 when you get home from work and your buddy is parked outside waiting for you to set up your stuff so he can get some range time before he goes home for the night. This arrangement, to the extent it even happens, will put a tremendous amount of strain on your relationships with your fiancee, your friends, and your sanity. I would not advise taking this into consideration as part of the decision-making process, except to the extent of it being a potential drawback, not a benefit.

Otherwise, as others have said, if you have the means, the motivation, and the (actual, not implied) consent of your fiancee, go for it. Hope everything works out either way for you. Good luck.

Buy it.

You will regret it if you don't.

You're young and able, and willing to shake whatever money tree you get near. Plus, you WILL use the thing. It's not like a treadmill. (maybe sell the treadmill to get more $$ towards this.)

Spin it around.......If your fiance would make a purchase at this price point that would make her this happy, would you complain?

Guess what? Neither will she.

Post pictures.

X________________________________ Sign Here

Buy it.

You will regret it if you don't.

You're young and able, and willing to shake whatever money tree you get near. Plus, you WILL use the thing. It's not like a treadmill. (maybe sell the treadmill to get more $$ towards this.)

Spin it around.......If your fiance would make a purchase at this price point that would make her this happy, would you complain?

Guess what? Neither will she.

Post pictures.

If she spent the money on something (pair of shoes or purse or something along those lines) I wouldn't be that upset. I'd probably talk a bit of sass about it though. I know she won't be mad at me but like everyone said, get her permission or understanding that I'm buying it first.

I honestly don't mind spending a bit more time at the office or taking up odd jobs to cover the remaining cost. The way I look at it, I could spend the money on this or on something truly pointless like a new playstation (that I know would bother her to no end!)

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Adams MB2 GW

Option 2
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

Forget renting it out and trying to make money off if it. Life will get in the way and it won't happen.

Sounds like the money side of things isn't the big deal so I wouldn't worry too much about that. From the fiance side of things I would tell her this will allow you to play at home in the winter vs going to the bar/simulator. She will appreciate having you around more instead of always running off to the local sim.

I will add one more thing. With a 2 car garage in the winter this better not inhibit her from being able to park indoors. That is a sure fire way to be on her s*** list. Also think about temperatures. Unless your garage and garage door are insulated in the townhome it's still going to get cold in the winter. Make sure you will use it before dropping the coin on the purchase.

I agree that I can't really see you making money with it. Sounds like you've already decided to buy it and just want some people to back you up.

I'd skip it. I can't see buying anything for a hobby that I would need to take a loan out on or have to save up for a long time. You're getting married and buying a home. If you don't have enough money for a used launch monitor, you're already behind. Why make it worse?

Callaway Epic Sub Zero with Rogue Max
Cobra F6 Baffler
Ping g30 19*, 22*, 26* hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec 6i-GW
Ping Glide WS 54* and 60*
Evnroll ER7

Women find ways to keep busy. Have you ever had the opportunity to read your fiancé's text messages or inbox? You will quickly realize there are plenty of people waiting and willing to spend time with her when you aren't.

^^ This is weird and completely out of place. Should we all stop golfing so we can keep any eye on our significant others? Made me cringe.

Make your final decision after you are married and settled into your new home. Technology always depreciates, so you might be able to get a better deal for the same golf set up in the future. Your opportunity costs from trying to earn money to pay for the set up is the valuable time spent away from your fiancé. Also, when you do acquire the golf set up, you will be spending more time away from your finance, and spending time with your friends and clients. You are essentially bringing work home with you. Women find ways to keep busy. Have you ever had the opportunity to read your fiancé's text messages or inbox? You will quickly realize there are plenty of people waiting and willing to spend time with her when you aren't. Also, your fiance might get irritated by the sound of golf balls being hit for hours upon hours throughout the day. A home should be a place to decompress. So you might have to sound proof the garage. Bottom line, you should be utilizing this finite amount of time without kids, by preparing for your future family and not a golf set up.

Any use you get out of the simulator negates the depreciation in value/cost, so that's a moot point. As far as everything else you mentioned.....

So buying a simulator will inevitably lead to his fiance leaving him for someone who wants to spend more time with her? I fail to see the logic in that. Everyone needs something they can escape to. If this could be that something for the OP, then its worth the investment. And his partner will undoubtedly recognize and understand this.

Anyone who lives somewhere that golfing is feasible for more than 5 months out of the year cannot understand the true value of having a personal simulator at home. This will provide the OP with countless hours of entertainment, give him his golf fix when he needs to blow off steam or wants some time to himself (especially in the sub zero Chicago winters!), and provide him and his boys a great weekend activity! What could be better than having your boys come over with a case of beers on a Saturday evening, and spend the night on the simulator playing courses or simply closest to pin?

Go for it OP. I doubt you will have any regrets if you do!

Slightly different take - what would the value be if you bought it and then decided to resell it? Would you be able to recoup most of what you are paying since you are getting it used already?

If it is a good LM, get it. Unless it is a model that is already outdated, you could possibly justify this by selling it if something comes up and you need money quickly.

This would make it more of a true "investment."

Caddying for my son is the greatest thing in the world.

Having a launch monitor without a coach ready and on hand feels like a potentially bad thing...at least for me. I'm a big-time tinkerer, and as much as I would love access to a launch monitor, I have a feeling it would be terrible for my game. I'd constantly be chasing the extra few yards, different launch angles, etc. And all of that would be OK, assuming you had a coach there to help you focus on what to work on, etc.

Anyway, just providing another view.

As for the financials, feels to me like you can't truly afford it based on the little info you've given...i.e. you could with all of your savings plus some OT at work...but that isn't a recipe for good management of your money. Do you have 3-6 months of expenses in a savings account? I actually don't want you to answer any of these questions in this thread...just answer them honestly for yourself. If you buy this, but then 3 months later your AC unit goes down, or your car breaks down, or you have some injury that requires medical attention, will you have the funds to cover those things? You'd be amazed at what you really can't afford if you look at it from that lens. I've written a book on this topic, so if you want to know more feel free to PM me.

I f you got your upcoming move to your new home handled, and I don't know how far off your marriage is (congrats by the way), and you can't think of anything that might come up where those funds would be better used...Go ahead and get it! I know I would if the opportunity presented itself at the right time.

-D

Make your final decision after you are married and settled into your new home. Technology always depreciates, so you might be able to get a better deal for the same golf set up in the future. Your opportunity costs from trying to earn money to pay for the set up is the valuable time spent away from your fiancé. Also, when you do acquire the golf set up, you will be spending more time away from your finance, and spending time with your friends and clients. You are essentially bringing work home with you. Women find ways to keep busy. Have you ever had the opportunity to read your fiancé's text messages or inbox? You will quickly realize there are plenty of people waiting and willing to spend time with her when you aren't. Also, your fiance might get irritated by the sound of golf balls being hit for hours upon hours throughout the day. A home should be a place to decompress. So you might have to sound proof the garage. Bottom line, you should be utilizing this finite amount of time without kids, by preparing for your future family and not a golf set up.

Any use you get out of the simulator negates the depreciation in value/cost, so that's a moot point. As far as everything else you mentioned.....

So buying a simulator will inevitably lead to his fiance leaving him for someone who wants to spend more time with her? I fail to see the logic in that. Everyone needs something they can escape to. If this could be that something for the OP, then its worth the investment. And his partner will undoubtedly recognize and understand this.

Anyone who lives somewhere that golfing is feasible for more than 5 months out of the year cannot understand the true value of having a personal simulator at home. This will provide the OP with countless hours of entertainment, give him his golf fix when he needs to blow off steam or wants some time to himself (especially in the sub zero Chicago winters!), and provide him and his boys a great weekend activity! What could be better than having your boys come over with a case of beers on a Saturday evening, and spend the night on the simulator playing courses or simply closest to pin?

Go for it OP. I doubt you will have any regrets if you do!

Thanks for more advice and sticking up for me haha

We are moving into a golf course community that is pretty social and outgoing. The way we look at it is that it'll be another way for us to meet our neighbors and like you said, closest to the pin or something like that while the ladies gossip and drink wine.

UPDATE: she gave me the green light last night so I'm going to be getting it. I'll keep everyone posted!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Adams MB2 GW

Option 2
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

Generally golf and investment aren't to be found in the same sentence, without the words bad or foolish involved. I'd say get it only if you want it for the recreational winter uses for you and your buddies and for testing equipment, and understand that any money you might be able to make off of it is just a bonus. Otherwise you'll keep looking at the thing in terms of ROI, and that saps a lot of the fun out of it IMO.

Which LM is this?

Foresight GC2...I was split between that, a skytrak, and a flightscope. Problem is...I've heard some mixed reviews from skytrak and it's accuracy over time and I don't have any experience with them. Flightscope was very tempting but I'd need more space for it to really pick up on the ball.

All in all, I know I probably won't make my money back on it by having people borrow it or anything like that but I figure it'll be a good thing for inclement weather up here in Chicago and testing and dialing in equipment and my game. Not that I'm above getting a lesson but knowing what the ball and club are doing on a computer system is extremely helpful and quick. Plus it'll be a bonding thing among my friends, family, and fiance who plays golf with me quite often.

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Adams MB2 GW

Option 2
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

Which LM is this?

Foresight GC2...I was split between that, a skytrak, and a flightscope. Problem is...I've heard some mixed reviews from skytrak and it's accuracy over time and I don't have any experience with them. Flightscope was very tempting but I'd need more space for it to really pick up on the ball.

All in all, I know I probably won't make my money back on it by having people borrow it or anything like that but I figure it'll be a good thing for inclement weather up here in Chicago and testing and dialing in equipment and my game. Not that I'm above getting a lesson but knowing what the ball and club are doing on a computer system is extremely helpful and quick. Plus it'll be a bonding thing among my friends, family, and fiance who plays golf with me quite often.

Sounds great. You seem to have a pretty realistic outlook on the decision, and I think the input here has been generally very good (setting aside the affair fear-mongering). Congratulations on the upcoming marriage and on this fun purchase. When you get the whole rig up and running, come on back to update with a few pics.

Now, what are the hourly rates for when I come down from Wisconsin to visit my relatives in the greater Chicago area?

Which LM is this?

Sounds great. You seem to have a pretty realistic outlook on the decision, and I think the input here has been generally very good (setting aside the affair fear-mongering). Congratulations on the upcoming marriage and on this fun purchase. When you get the whole rig up and running, come on back to update with a few pics.

Now, what are the hourly rates for when I come down from Wisconsin to visit my relatives in the greater Chicago area?

Haha we'll work something out no worries!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Adams MB2 GW

Option 2
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky