worst unwanted golfing gift ever received....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's the author? I've read the books by bob rotella and they have been the best things for me game

A common problem is a right handed glove that I think everyone has encountered

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Who's the author? I've read the books by bob rotella and they have been the best things for me game

A common problem is a right handed glove that I think everyone has encountered

I LOVE Dr. Bob's books, but to avoid a law suit I will happily not name the "Airy Fairy" golf psychology book mu lovely mum bought...and the thing that really Sh$ts me off is that every time she rings me she asks how my golf game is going and I just can't have the heart to tell her that her golf book ruined my life!!!!! That bloody Self 1 is really battling with my Self 2!!!!!

Not me but my cousins wife wanted to buy my cousin some golf balls for Christmas. He opens up 5 dozen of personalized Dunlop balls. This was a couple years ago and I didnt know Dunlop still made balls. They sat in his garage for a year before she found them and asked why he didnt like them. He made up some excuse and then used some and gave the rest away. I actually still have a couple of them in my bag and we tease him about it often.

Not me but my cousins wife wanted to buy my cousin some golf balls for Christmas. He opens up 5 dozen of personalized Dunlop balls. This was a couple years ago and I didnt know Dunlop still made balls. They sat in his garage for a year before she found them and asked why he didnt like them. He made up some excuse and then used some and gave the rest away. I actually still have a couple of them in my bag and we tease him about it often.

GOLD!!!!!

My kids got me a nice wood box executive putting kit for Christmas one year. It's really well made and I had it in my office for years and never used it. (Not the message I wanted to send to the troops.) Of course I still have it in my closet.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

A gold plated plastic handheld ball washer device from my wife for my birthday that was probably bought at a dollar store. I had asked for two boxes of Pro V1s. The balls were too expensive, my wife said.

Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/ Aldila Rouge Max 65S
Callaway BB 815 3-wood 14° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 665X
Callaway BB 815 hybrid 18° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 865X
Titleist T-MB 3 & 4 irons w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist SM6 52.08 and 58.04 w/ DG AMT Tour IssueX100
SC Select Newport 35" w/ Super Stroke Pistol GT
Bushnell Tour X / Garmin G8

Nothing too bad, mostly just goofy useless stuff. Bunch of poker chip ball markers, brightly colored nitro balls, brightly colored crappy tees. But, hey, at least the girlfriend tried and I took it as permission to golf all weekend on my birthday. Even sent a couple pics of the orange ball teed up (before I smoked it into the woods or lake).

Years ago, I was told by my mother to make a Christmas list to avoid getting stuff I didn't want. I wrote down a long list of golf balls I would be happy to play, from Titleist balatas to two-piece Ultras (fine for winter/spring in North England). My aunt gave me a box of Penfolds. Now, to those of you not familiar with Penfolds, or those of you who think it was Dangermouse's sidekick, Penfolds were a serious brand of ball back in the day, just not in the late Eighties when I was playing.

Read Ian Fleming's GoldFinger, written in the late 1950s to find probably the last reference to when Penfolds were thought of as good balls.

Knowing I 'm a golfer, my Mother in Law got me a St Andrews towel and golf hat one Christmas, not long after I got married. It wasn't actual gear from the course, just something she found in a catalog. Even if it were actual swag from the course, I wouldn't have wanted to use it. If someone asked if I'd been there it would just lead to the same awkward conversation every time.

Fortunately, I didn't have to use them just to humor her. My wife golfs and understands why I wouldn't use them. MIL has never seen my golf bag, and I have an odd hat size, so the hat didn't fit me.

Oh, and on the bright side, back home recently I found a old golf ball holder (for 3 balls) filled with old painted tees that was given to me years ago as a Christmas gift. Even though the tees are probably now too short for modern drivers, I can use them for FW tee shots and irons. I love the old painted tees as they left a nice mark on the sole to show how good or bad your strike was.

My girlfriend got me a golf ball marking tool that required you to lock in your initials (like a printing press), somehow layer a piece of ink paper on the ball, then clamp the ball in and stamp the sucker with your initials. On top of that you had to coat it with some sort of polish to help the ink stay durable. It was an absolute mess, ended up with ink all over the place. Had to mark a dozen balls with my blurry initials while my girlfriend watched with excitement. I then conveniently lost it during a move.

She also gave me one of those fake golf clubs that holds 72 oz of liquid and has a tap...awful but I could at least see the novelty in that.

This is after repeated requests for no golf gifts for the holidays.

Edited to add image of awful gift.

1. One of those cheap thingys that you can use to personalize and stamp your initials on your golf balls.

2. A holster that you put on your belt that holds 3 golf balls and some tees, because we all know that having extra balls hand on your belt is a good idea.

3. A clicker used to count your strokes in case you lose track.

* Worst swag bag tournament gift-this one is bad because it actually cost the tournament organizer a lot of money for the entire field. Footjoy golf sandals. you know the kind that have velcro and kind of look like Teva's. I wore them once to the driving range and had so much sand in them when I was done it was uncomfortable.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

My girlfriend got me a golf ball marking tool that required you to lock in your initials (like a printing press), somehow layer a piece of ink paper on the ball, then clamp the ball in and stamp the sucker with your initials. On top of that you had to coat it with some sort of polish to help the ink stay durable. It was an absolute mess, ended up with ink all over the place. Had to mark a dozen balls with my blurry initials while my girlfriend watched with excitement. I then conveniently lost it during a move.

She also gave me one of those fake golf clubs that holds 72 oz of liquid and has a tap...awful but I could at least see the novelty in that.

This is after repeated requests for no golf gifts for the holidays.

Edited to add image of awful gift.

Very similar to the one I am talking about, my mother in law gave it to me for Christmas.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

My fiance's dad bought me a samsonite trunk organizer for all of my golf stuff (holds 2 pairs of shoes as well as some balls and some other stuff.) First I thought it was the dumbest thing ever but now that I actually tried it, it's pretty legit!

Another bad gift was a hat from some random store down in Disney World. It had the Disney D but with a golf tee. Can't even return it!!!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

My mother in law got me a gray wool golf sweater with a train on it. it looked like it was designed for a 5 year old nerd

I am allergic to wool

It was a size large ... and I barely fit into 2XL

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

My kids got me a nice wood box executive putting kit for Christmas one year. It's really well made and I had it in my office for years and never used it. (Not the message I wanted to send to the troops.) Of course I still have it in my closet.

I got the same exact kit one year. Ha.

Ping G430 LST 9*, Kai’li White 60

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*, Aldila Rogue White 70
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* K

Cameron Phantom X 11.5
Titleist ProV1

Mom bought me some Pinnacle golf balls about 15 years ago, terrible.

Wife bought me a Tour Edge Bazooka when it first came out. I'm sure it was more my swing than the club...

Hey, I had a Bazooka for a year or so. Actually liked it at the time.

On the unwanted side, my dad got my sister a set of clubs for Christmas when she was about 10 yrs old (can't remember what brand) but it was a bag, full set of irons, woods and a putter...all new stuff. She hated golf and actually told him this time and time again but he was hell bent on getting her into golf. 30 years later, she doesn't play. Unreal.

2. A holster that you put on your belt that holds 3 golf balls and some tees, because we all know that having extra balls hand on your belt is a good idea.

3. A clicker used to count your strokes in case you lose track.

Now those are terrible haha.

I havent gotten anything too bad. My family and my girl's family pretty much know that if I want golf presents they can just get me ebay gift cards. My dad is still stubborn though. The last thing he got me was some really cheap headcovers. I spent a lot of time putting my bag together, I dont want to put some cheapo headcovers that arent even made for my driver and woods in my bag. Last time I played with him he asked if they didnt fit. I just said they are on the backup set

I've always told everyone besides my dad, who I golf with, that while I appreciate the thoughts of golf gifts, I am very particular about my equipment and prefer gift cards when it comes to golf. My family gets it, but I guess a few girlfriends over the years haven't.

One in college got me two dozen golf balls with the WVU logo, but I don't even know the brand. I could never use them. Never heard of the brand, and just out of curiosity I tried chipping with them in my backyard, and they felt like rocks. She did get me a few sweet golf polos, though.

Another got me this massive tool that has a green repair tool, a clicker to count strokes, and a bunch of other stuff, but beyond being unneeded, it's way too big to comfortably keep in my pocket. She also got me some thing you can clip on your belt and store a couple golf balls on. Even for a non golfer I'm surprised that anyone would think that makes sense.

I always appreciate someone going out of their way to think about me, but sometimes I hate the feeling of appreciating the gift and especially the person, but knowing you'll never use it.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback

I got a box of Warrior yellow golf balls. Harder than rock and sitting on the same shelf I placed them on 4 years ago, collecting dust. Might take them to the range and hit them as a donation.

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

I don't remember the product name but it was billiards putting - multi-colored golf balls that you putt into these make-believe holes for Christmas from friends. Never opened the box.

Michael, do you know the person in your avatar? Awesome behind and legs!

ATTENTION:  Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice. 

Ping G425 Max / Testing G430 Max 10k

Titleist u505  2 Iron /

Titleist 704.CB 3-PW Irons / Testing PXG 0211st 5 - W Irons

Titleist Wedges-S Grind /

SeeMore M7x