Spieth's Attitude

KnightPSKnightPS Posts: 283 ✭✭
Over the last few tournaments I can't help but notice that Spieth has had a little bit of an attitude problem. We know he always talks to his ball a lot and the back and forth with his caddy has been featured on all the broadcasts, but is this a different issue? My questions is, has he always been this way? I have a few theories. One is that the he played so well last year that it didn't get a chance to show itself. Another is that I was giving him too much of a benefit of the doubt as the new young gun on the scene. He is under a tremendous amount of pressure to stay on top and regain the #1 ranking, maybe the pressure is getting to him.

For me I think it started when he threw his caddy under the bus earlier this year (I know they win together and lose together) and last weekend I felt he was constantly complaining about the bounces he got and the lies he was left with.

Am I crazy or does anyone else see this happening?

For the record, I am a huge fan, and the real thing happening could be that I simply holding Jordan to a higher than reasonable standard and expecting too much.
TaylorMade M2 - Stock
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 - 3w
Titleist 915Hd 21° Aldila Rogue Black 85H
Titleist AP2 FST KBS Tour X 4-PW
Vokey SM5 52' 56' 60'
Bettinardi BB43

Comments

• SteelPrideSteelPride Posts: 1,596
    Seems the same to me. He's a golf thinker, so he notices the little things that affect the pursuit of perfection. He just tends to be more vocal about it.

He has been missing a lot of putts to the right. He might be having a hard time convincing himself to trust his line. Happens all the time. So when he misses the cup by an eighth of an inch to the right, he says "**** it Jordan", I do it too.
  • Bogie_NightsBogie_Nights Posts: 2,256 ✭✭
    edited Apr 5, 2016 #3
    So PLHR's back... image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' />
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,095 ✭✭
    I love the fact that he shares what's going on in his head.

Yes I'm sure the pressure is intense for him as well.
  • KnightPSKnightPS Posts: 283 ✭✭

So PLHR's back...

Ha. No, I am not PLHR. I really am a big Jordan fan. My wife called me a fanboy the other day. I think I am just holding him to an unreasonable standard. That's why I posted the thread, I realize it might be my flaw, not his.
    TaylorMade M2 - Stock
    Vokey SM5 52' 56' 60'
    Bettinardi BB43
  • HackerD  HackerD Student of the game Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    I like the self talk. Johnny Miller seems to know what's wrong with his swing (weak grip, bent left elbow...).
    Ping G30 12°
    Adams Tight Lies Ti 3w
    Cally X2 Hot 3-4H
    Mizuno JPX-850 5-GW
    Vokey SM 54.14
    Cally MD PM 58.10
    SC Studio Select Newport 2
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,143 ✭✭
    Completely agree. He's way dialed up and seems clearly angry far more often. He also seems a bit short and irritated with Michael more often. His indecision on club selection has become a real problem as well. He seems to be fighting Michaels suggestions way more than last year. Last year he waffled a little now and then, but almost always went with Michaels recommendation.

It makes sense to some extent approaching the masters to defend and not playing up to the high standards of last year. That chicken wing left arm is finally biting him in the butt. As much of a fan as I am, I really hate that left arm position through impact. He's shoving the ball right a lot, and when he does feel it coming he over corrects and it goes left. Missing both ways in professional golf make it VERY difficult to play well.

I hope he figures it out quickly. Not much time left. I think it may be Jason's week.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • avragavrag Members Posts: 5,204 ✭✭
    What I don't like about it is the sense of entitlement he shows. It seems like he feels the universe owes him a perfect shot every time.
    I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.
  • jamiejamie Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    I'm a fan of "we" when you win but prefer "I" when you lose. I'm a huge Spieth fan, though. He makes me anxious watching him.
    PING G400 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G400 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
    PING I200 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
    PING Cadence Ketsch TR CB 35"
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,674 ✭✭
    He's pressing more so he's getting aggravated easier.
  • Dave230Dave230 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭
    He was like that quite a lot in 2014 before he became a regular winner, got like that when things didn't go his way in the final round of the Masters and I have a feeling there was another event like that, maybe the WGC Matchplay where he lost the plot.

Golf's a frustrating game though, I don't really blame him.
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 8,957 ✭✭
    Too much Coke.
  • Hoot151Hoot151 Members Posts: 797
    avrag wrote:

What I don't like about it is the sense of entitlement he shows. It seems like he feels the universe owes him a perfect shot every time.

Not sure if serious.
  • mackepamackepa #TheWRX Members Posts: 3,585 ✭✭
    He's just another guy under the microscope. When you win two majors in a year you're bound to be on camera more and more pressure is put on you to continue playing at a superstar level. People will start questioning every little thing.
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Epic Flash SZ 15* AD IZ 8
    Apex 20* AD IZ 85
    Apex Pro 19 4-PW KBS Proto
    MD4 52s, 56s, 60x KBS $-Taper
    Toulon Austin Longneck Garage
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • dbleagdbleag Members Posts: 2,876 ✭✭
    He may have higher standards than last year which can cause frustrations when not achieved.

Not many Lydia Ko's around.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,143 ✭✭
    edited Apr 5, 2016 #16
    avrag wrote:

I agree in a sense, but I'd alter that thought a little. To me, his actions seem childish and immature. Like he's having a mini tantrum far to often.

The really loud complaining, slapping his bag or hitting the ground with his club. I hate it. It reminds me of behavior I've seen out of high school kids.

Not endearing at all. I hope someone in his inner circle gets in his ear a little bit.

I remember when I was 17. I was playing with my dad at his private club out in Cali. I hit a terrible shot, cursed and threw my club 7 or 8 feet toward the cart. It bounced and went towards another member in our group. It Didn't hit him, but he was startled and his expression said he was irritated. I immediately felt foolish, but as we got back in the cart and the other twosome were out of earshot, my dad looked at me with a look I had never seen before, like a look of death...and he very quietly and very slowly said, "if you ever do that again, it will be the last time we play golf together". It was abundantly clear he meant it. And that was the last time I ever threw a golf club or had a tantrum on the course.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 24,990 ✭✭
    What human doesn't get irritated when the bounces aren't going his way or he just isn't hitting the ball where he's looking ? How does this make him different than any one else ?
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

What human doesn't get irritated when the bounces aren't going his way or he just isn't hitting the ball where he's looking ? How does this make him different than any one else ?

Well, because he's supposed to be perfect!! You know that. He's the golden child. The chosen one. He needs to be perfect, **** it!!
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,056 ✭✭

You know how it works. Perfection is the key. Show emotion (but not too much), be passionate (but only in the way I like it), be vocal (but only approved speech), be a free thinker (but not too free - we wouldn't want to offend anyone)...
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • tharm033tharm033 Members Posts: 6
    Read "Slaying the tiger" by Shane Ryan...sounds like he noticed a lot of the same things. Said that Spieth would get so upset by a "unfair" bounce that he would forget about winning the tournament. Now it seems like he still gets equally upset about a lot of things but re-focus quicker (credit to Greller, coach, parents, getting older....any of these could be it). As a former pitcher, saw a lot of baseball players who were that way...most mellowed with age. Doesn't seem like an uncommon thing for athletes, especially ones who have as great of self belief as Jordan.

It's part of the double-edged sword but some of his success can definitely be attributed to the same "failings" that he seems to have.
  • nochct1nochct1 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭
    Wow, even Jordan is getting the Golfwrx treatment. Never thought that would happen.
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,056 ✭✭

Well, because he's supposed to be perfect!! You know that. He's the golden child. The chosen one. He needs to be perfect, **** it!!

HA! I just said that! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

nochct1 wrote:

Wow, even Jordan is getting the Golfwrx treatment. Never thought that would happen.

Crazy right?
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • ob1soccerob1soccer Members Posts: 1,140 ClubWRX
    everyone gets the wrx treatment
    Titleist 915 D2 Aldila Rogue Silver 60s
    Titleist 913F Aldila Tour Green 75s
    Titleist 913H Aldila Tour Green 85s
    Titleist T-MB 5-GW w/Steelfiber 110s
    Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges 54/58
    Scotty Cameron California putter
    Titleist Prov1x golf ball
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,092 ✭✭
    He is turning into....

Go! Go! Stop!!

cristie-kerr.jpg
  • Forged4everForged4ever Putting is 98%+ Mental..... ClubWRX Posts: 15,579 ClubWRX
    Oh Dear Lord, he's fine.....

LMAO, I'm not the only one with too much time on my hands, lol

Stay well my Friends image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

All the Best,

Richard
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,780 ClubWRX
    On a related note, did anyone notice him signing autographs after his practice session? I get it- sometimes its a pain in the a** to do this kind of thing, but at least make eye contact with a few of the kids while signing. He looked almost irritated and wanted out of there asap.
  • KnightPSKnightPS Posts: 283 ✭✭

All the Best,

Richard

You may have identified the problem. Not sure why I have invested this much thought into the subject since last Saturday. My next post will be about trying to count how many thousands of mental golf swings I execute in my head throughout a day at the office.
    TaylorMade M2 - Stock
    Vokey SM5 52' 56' 60'
    Bettinardi BB43

All the Best,

Richard

No Richard, you are definitely not the only one.

I took the whole week off to indulge in all things golf. Masters week...Golf gluttony in its purist form!! I may even get a round in this afternoon. Certainly at least some range time.

I just Wish it wasn't freakin' 35 degrees though!! **** Ohio weather.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Hou_HaterHou_Hater Posts: 230 ✭✭
    edited Apr 5, 2016 #29
    KnightPS wrote:

Over the last few tournaments I can't help but notice that Spieth has had a little bit of an attitude problem. We know he always talks to his ball a lot and the back and forth with his caddy has been featured on all the broadcasts, but is this a different issue? My questions is, has he always been this way? I have a few theories. One is that the he played so well last year that it didn't get a chance to show itself. Another is that I was giving him too much of a benefit of the doubt as the new young gun on the scene. He is under a tremendous amount of pressure to stay on top and regain the #1 ranking, maybe the pressure is getting to him.

For me I think it started when he threw his caddy under the bus earlier this year (I know they win together and lose together) and last weekend I felt he was constantly complaining about the bounces he got and the lies he was left with.

Am I crazy or does anyone else see this happening?

For the record, I am a huge fan, and the real thing happening could be that I simply holding Jordan to a higher than reasonable standard and expecting too much.

I've noticed more slamming of the clubs into the bag as well. You never see Mickelson, Scott or Day act this way. They're playing at the same level. And don't give me the youth excuse. He's a multiple major winner and acts like a teenager on the AJGA if he gets a bad bounce or his line was off.

I'm from TX and can't seem to come around liking him. Reminds me a little of JJ Watt here in Houston. Wants to be goody two-shoes but acts like a brat.
    TM M1 430 10.5* Tour Green X
    Cally X2Hot 3W & Hybrids 19*,22* X
    Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Odyssey #9 2.0 - SS Flatso 1.0
    Cleveland CG-15 48*,52* KBS Wedge X
    Vokey SM5 56* KBS Wedge X
    ProV1X
  • Glaze22Glaze22 FORE!!!! Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    SteelPride wrote:

Seems the same to me. He's a golf thinker, so he notices the little things that affect the pursuit of perfection. He just tends to be more vocal about it.

He has been missing a lot of putts to the right. He might be having a hard time convincing himself to trust his line. Happens all the time. So when he misses the cup by an eighth of an inch to the right, he says "**** it Jordan", I do it too.

When I miss the cup I say "**** it Reed", not "**** it Jordan".
  • Bogie_NightsBogie_Nights Posts: 2,256 ✭✭
    edited Apr 5, 2016 #31
    KnightPS wrote:

So PLHR's back...

Ha. No, I am not PLHR. I really am a big Jordan fan. My wife called me a fanboy the other day. I think I am just holding him to an unreasonable standard. That's why I posted the thread, I realize it might be my flaw, not his.

Seriously, I do see it a little bit of what you see. Like Frankie said a few posts above, it feels as if he's pressing a bit.