Bubba's latest $825,000 Richard Mille wristwatch

JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil.Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,223 ✭✭
I'm a big fan of fine timepieces, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around Bubba's latest Richard Mille. He's been wearing various versions for quite a few years now. Here's a little info about it the newest one:

"In 2014 Richard Mille introduced the RM 38-01, a mechanical tourbillon watch with a titanium case designed just for Watson. According to Richard Mille, the retail price for the watch is $825,000 and only 50 were made.

Beyond the light weight and style Richard Mille watches are known for, the most striking feature of the 38-01 is a g-sensor on the face that's capable of measuring the g-force of Watson's swing up to 20 Gs.

It also comes in Watson's favorite color, green, matching the green jacket he won at the Masters."

Eehhhhh....not that I could afford it anyway, but I Just don't get it. I'll take a good old Patek Phillipe any day.

Any opinions out there?.

9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV
Jones Trouper Bag

Comments

• kwcsportskwcsports Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    Ugly and not worth 800 grand.
    WITB
    Ping G10 Driver- Matrix White Tie
    Adams Tight Lies 2 3W- Kuro Kage
    Adams Tight Lies 2- 3H- Kuro Kage
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-AW- NS Pro 950GH
    Ping Eye 2 SW- XP105
    Nike VR Forged LW- XP105
    Taylormade Big Fontana
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,015 ✭✭
    kwcsports wrote:

Ugly and not worth 800 grand.

Ugly shades. Not worth 99 cents.

It's easy isn't it? image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Got money, spend money. He could have done something really foolish, like bought some other PGA player's monstrosity of a suburban tract house.
  • blink3665blink3665 #TwistFaceExperience Members Posts: 6,026 ✭✭
    I'm not a timepiece enthusiast. And I'm not going to judge someone by what they spend their own money on. but **** GINA!
    Srixon z785 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65 / / Taylormade M4 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65
    Taylormade M3 HL MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
    Taylormade M4 19* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")
    Taylormade M4 22* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (39.75")
    Srixon 545 - 5-PW - 2* flat - Modus3 120s - Best Grips Classic
    Cleveland CBX 48* +1* loft - -0.75" - 2* flat
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 54* mid, 58* xlow -0.75" - 2* flat // TM Hi Toe 58* 2* flat
    Slighter Proto 1 - #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
    Odyssey OWorks 2ball - 32"
    GolfWRX (Nike Collegiate) bag (White) / Nike HyperAdapt

WITB Link
  • CHARLIE47CHARLIE47 Members Posts: 20
    edited Apr 8, 2016 #5
    I find it strange that the watch was made for Bubba, but 50 were made. I dern sure wouldn't spend over $800K and have 50 of the same watches out there. If I was spending that much it would be 1 of a kind! That's NUTS!
  • landolakeslandolakes Members Posts: 524 ✭✭
    That watch with some crappy white belt....ha
  • evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou Members Posts: 1,999 ✭✭
    That equates to 2,068 Ping G Drivers at the $399 SRP.

WOW!

Mizuno ST190 10.5/ Fuji Speeder TR 661S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno ST190TS 15/ Fuji Speeder TR 757S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Taylor Made P790 4-PW Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedges 50&56/ Modus 120S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    SeeMore M1B/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC

• JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,223 ✭✭
    edited Apr 8, 2016 #8
    CHARLIE47 wrote:

I find it strange that the watch was made for Bubba, but 50 were made. I dern sure wouldn't spend over $800K and have 50 of the same watches out there. If I was spending that much it would be 1 of a kind! That's NUTS!

Interesting you caught that. The very first one he wore back in 2011 was a mere $500,000+, and less than 10 were made and they were prominently numbered. Can't remember exactly how many, but the point was, as you rightly bring up, it was extremely limited edition. That alone gave them some worth.

They apparently sold well. They did a second edition in 2012. And then 2 years ago they came out with this one with 50 pieces being made. Bubba of course has all three versions. He's wearing an older version today. He also wears Richard Mille on his shirt sleeve and I have to imagine that newest 2014 version was likely free in exchange for his endorsement and the shirt logo.

But all of the sudden, the exclusivity factor is nearly gone. 50??? I must say, Bubba must be doing his job for them because that is a LOT of watches to push at 825k. Impressive really. Ugly and not even self winding....yes, you actually have to hand wind it every morning. Link to Mille website. Shows all three versions.

http://www.richardmille.com/star/bubba-watson/
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • somaplrsomaplr Vaya con Dios, Brah Members Posts: 3,974
    edited Apr 8, 2016 #9
    bobcat wrote:

Indicates he has more money than brains, but since he earned the money, he can spend it, (or waste it), however he damned well pleases...

Nevertheless, I can't help but wish he had given it to Charity instead...Would have done more for his karma.

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />

Christ people...you know Bubba didn't pay for that watch right? Right? He's a sponsor for them. They have several athletes that wear them while they play sports - it's a niche. They have a few track and field athletes as well.

He's been wearing them for 4-5 years now. They are limited edition pieces - the watches were already spoken for before they were made - by the way.

I'm not a fan of his, but the Bubba haters cry just as much as he does. He just recently sold his personal 1939 Cadillac LaSalle at auction for $410k and donated the entire proceeds to charity (again, not his charity - Phil Mickelsons).
    Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
    TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
    TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
    Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
    Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
    OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang
  • Bomber_11Bomber_11 Enjoy the Chase. ClubWRX Posts: 3,531 ClubWRX
    If I had $825k to blow it wouldn't be on a watch....but it's his money. Personally a Luminox or Nixon does just fine, and also tells time for $200-$800.

Different strokes for different folks...

I'd spend $1k on a watch and $824k on my own private golf course!
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15° w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX
    PXG 0311X 2i w/ KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 105S+
    Mizuno JPX919 Tour 3-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/54S/60D w/ Pink DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back
    Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.
  • gnicollsgnicolls Members Posts: 524 ClubWRX
    somaplr wrote:

bobcat wrote:

Indicates he has more money than brains, but since he earned the money, he can spend it, (or waste it), however he damned well pleases...

Nevertheless, I can't help but wish he had given it to Charity instead...Would have done more for his karma.

Christ people...you know Bubba didn't pay for that watch right? Right? He's a sponsor for them. They have several athletes that wear them while they play sports - it's a niche. They have a few track and field athletes as well.

He's been wearing them for 4-5 years now. They are limited edition pieces - the watches were already spoken for before they were made - by the way.

I'm not a fan of his, but the Bubba haters cry just as much as he does. He just recently sold his personal 1939 Cadillac LaSalle at auction for $410k and donated the entire proceeds to charity (again, not his charity - Phil Mickelsons).

THIS! Everyone can put their pitchforks and haterade away(coming from a guy that hates Bubba)
  • neild76neild76 Members Posts: 328 ✭✭
    gnicolls wrote:

somaplr wrote:

bobcat wrote:

THIS! Everyone can put their pitchforks and haterade away(coming from a guy that hates Bubba)

Well, the world needs ditchdiggers, too.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,223 ✭✭
    I do like this one for the ladies. The flower opens up every 5 minutes. A mere $1.09 million. What a great gift idea!!

Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • PZeroPZero Members Posts: 11,392 ✭✭
    $800K for a watch with no precious metals is ridiculous. Give me a Patek for that much.
    R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport
    edited Apr 8, 2016 #15
    PZero wrote:

$800K for a watch with no precious metals is ridiculous. Give me a Patek for that much.

A Patek like this? Only one in existence. Number one of one. A "grande complication". 506 individual parts. "Only" Stainless steel however:

Post edited by Unknown User on
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • ccorradaccorrada Double C Members Posts: 1,431 ✭✭
    praise the lord
    Titleist 917 D3 w/Diamana S+ 60S
    Cally DET 15* w/Motore F3 80X
    Cally Apex Hybrid 18* w/Aldila Tour Green 80X
    Titleist 816 H2 23* w/Diamana D+ 100X
    Adams XTD Forged w/DG Pro S300 5-PW
    Ping Glide Stealth 50-54-58 w/S400
    Taylormade Ardmore CS
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,603 ✭✭
    A fool and his money comes to mind....
  • WrigglesWriggles Members Posts: 3,196 ✭✭
    I was going to comment on this, but it's just not worth the effort.
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,312 ✭✭
    That watch probably looks good when he's driving around in the General Lee.
  • longleftlongleft Members Posts: 777
    gnicolls wrote:

somaplr wrote:

bobcat wrote:

These^^

Plus Richard Mille actually pays Bubba to peddle the watches...seriously, a bunch of gunslingers here
  • ProphetLogicProphetLogic Members Posts: 526 ✭✭
    Ugly and it looks like it would be hard to tell what time it is. Don't get it.
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    I haven't worn a "time piece" in years. But, to each his own.

$850,000 should take you back to the future though...
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • Mikey TownMikey Town Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭
    I don't understand the $800K+ watch thing, either.

I also don't like a lot of the Oakley clothing he wears. I can't believe he's wasting all that money buying that stuff.

His Ping clubs and Glove aren't to my liking, either. I'm not sure why a top-tier pro golfer would buy clubs like that.

And don't get me started on the Pro V1s... He hits the ball so hard, that he must rip the covers up on the few that he doesn't hit into the trees. Imagine how much money Bubba is spending on those golf balls... He's an idiot for not playing something more affordable.

Is Bubba seriously being criticized for wearing a watch that was given to him for free, by a person/company that sponsors him?

You people are ridiculous.
    TaylorMade Driver
    Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
    Bridgestone Irons
    Vokey Wedges
    Byron Morgan Putter(s)
    WITB Link
  • KYMARKYMAR Members Posts: 13,257 ✭✭
    The clock on my phone says it's 8:10. I Wonder what time Bubba's watch says it is.

Sigh, I'll never know.
    Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
    Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
    Hybrid undecided
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
    Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
    White Hot 6 Long Neck
  • Bonhomme RichardBonhomme Richard Members Posts: 558 ✭✭
    There's no reason on earth that watch should be 800 large. If they priced it competitively in the Rolex sports watch range, ~ $10-15k, they would sell a ton of them.
    edited Apr 8, 2016 #26

There's no reason on earth that watch should be 800 large. If they priced it competitively in the Rolex sports watch range, ~ $10-15k, they would sell a ton of them.

Perhaps. But they don't want to sell a ton of them. They would have to sell 4,125 of them at $10,000 to match what they will make on 50 of them at $825,000 = $41,250,000. Being that they are hand made and assembled it would be impossible. I respect Rolex for what it is, but it uses a mass produced movement. They make gazillions of them. A large part of the mystique and desirability about Mille is that there are relatively few around.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • WrigglesWriggles Members Posts: 3,196 ✭✭
    edited Apr 9, 2016 #27
    According to those ShopNBC watch marathons, Invicta watches have the same movements as the "high end famous" brands. (Yeah, sure.) I saw a young guy working at the bank yesterday, and he was wearing some huge monstrosity watch with a rubber strap.

Why not just get a Westclox Big Ben alarm clock and strap it to your wrist? Even women are wearing these big clocks.

I recall thirty years ago, Kelloggs Corn Flakes offered free box top mail in premiums for LCD digital watches. They were basic black plastic cases with rubber straps. They had some doo dads by the dial, and had day/date function. I eat a lot of cereal, so I sent for three.

I was at the museum in Pittsburgh, when I noticed a lady looking at me. I said hello, and she complemented my watch. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was a cereal premium. I told her I had gotten it as a gift. (Gift from Kelloggs?) Those watches didn't last long, so none survived. But it was fun wearing a suit with a cereal premium watch.

Bubba can have his $825K watch.
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 3,923 ✭✭
    edited Apr 9, 2016 #28
    With the one upsmanship on Instagram, Mille sells plenty at his current price point. Don't forget Mille is serving his retailers and not direct. Figure 50% off suggested retail to jewelers who have this type of clientele. Sell to a client at 30-40% off retail and you are pocketing an easy $40-50k on one transaction. Most of the Milles I see being worn are in Russia, UAE, and middle east. You need a $500k watch to accompany your 288 GTO I suppose.

Anyone not in the watch game, there is a huge difference between retail and what somebody normally pays. Normally 20-25% off "normal" models and 25-30% off the high end precious metals.
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • Beastmode BrokerBeastmode Broker Canadian AF Members Posts: 6,317 ✭✭
    wow thats insane

im not really a watch guy ... well I mean I wear one every day, but its a $125 army green G-SHOCK

its water proof, lights up when I press a button and can time intervals for me .... even shows the date on it image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Taylormade M1 440 9.5 | Kuro Kage DC 60 X
    Taylormade M2 15 | RIP Alpha B 70 X
    Callaway XHP 20 | RIP Alpha 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900T 4-PW | TI DGX100 ssx1
    Callaway MD3 RAW 52S / 56W | DGS300
    Nike Engage 60 TS | DGS300
    Taylormade Milled Collection Mullen 35"
  • Bonhomme RichardBonhomme Richard Members Posts: 558 ✭✭

Perhaps. But they don't want to sell a ton of them. They would have to sell 4,125 of them at $10,000 to match what they will make on 50 of them at $825,000 = $41,250,000. Being that they are hand made and assembled it would be impossible. I respect Rolex for what it is, but it uses a mass produced movement. They make gazillions of them. A large part of the mystique and desirability about Mille is that there are relatively few around.

Rolex movements aren't mass produced. They are in-house and handmade as well.

Rolex movements aren't mass produced. They are in-house and handmade as well.

I think you've been drinking the "Rolex cool aid" my friend. You wouldn't call 800,000+ watches a year mass produced?? Their production is heavily automated.

Rolex is a fine watch, and I may or may not have a couple in my collection, but they are definitely mass produced and they are not the least bit "rare". They have a marketing and advertising program second to none and they have created an amazing empire, which I do respect, but they are quite "common" and a touch dull in my opinion.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag