Flat Cat Putter Grip

Comments

• NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Posts: 1,111 ClubWRX

I had to laugh at their "Installation How To" video! Does anyone really install a grip like this?

http://www.flatcatgolf.com/how-to/

- Josh

Lots of people do it that way. Works just fine. A vice with a rubber clamp is better but isn't required.
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 1,991 ClubWRX

PingEye2 wrote:

I had to laugh at their "Installation How To" video! Does anyone really install a grip like this?

- Josh

OK, I have to ask: How do you install grips? Because this is essentially how i do mine here at the house.

I use a rubber clamp and vice. The guy in the install video used his foot on the ground and the base of a cabinet and threw the grip on like he didn't really care. I take my time and do it right.

- Josh

I installed my grips like this for years before I finally had a place to install a vice, and I'm extremely particular about my putter grips. Is it easier with a vice? Absolutely. Is there any less care or craftsmanship just because a vice isn't used? Absolutely not.

The video was clearly an attempt to demonstrate to the average player that this grip can be installed at home by anyone. No special tools required.
    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Pro White 60 S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade P-750 5-PW, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60 (58), DG S400
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
  • msd71msd71 Members Posts: 707 ✭✭
    Has anyone tried these put on the "wrong" way - flat part on the top/bottom? That actually feels better to me in the store. Would this be legal?
  • scotty_2987scotty_2987 Members Posts: 216 ✭✭
    Bumping for more opinions on these grips.
  • NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Posts: 1,111 ClubWRX
    I put one on last week and the first round with it was actually quite good. I worked very hard to make sure that the grip and the putter face were in alignment. It felt really nice. I'll give more of a report after playing this weekend.
  • OhlinksterOhlinkster Posts: 106 ✭✭
    I'm intrigued. I may have to give it a try. I need all the help I can get with putting.
  • gunmetalgunmetal Members Posts: 1,817 ✭✭
    msd71 wrote:

Has anyone tried these put on the "wrong" way - flat part on the top/bottom? That actually feels better to me in the store. Would this be legal?

It is legal.
  • gunmetalgunmetal Members Posts: 1,817 ✭✭
    I've been using a Superstroke SS2R Squared and I'm guessing it's pretty similar because the concept seems similar. I like that the SS2R is heavier and acts as a counterweight. I'm sure at some point that I'll give the Flatcat a try as the whole concept of a flat leading edge aligned with the putter face makes a lot of sense.
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,844 ClubWRX
    Any more reviews out there?
    PING G400 LS 9* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Titleist T-MB 3 Iron - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour Spec
    Srixon 785 4-P - Nippon Pro Modus 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • Papa JohickPapa Johick My Girl Duffners Members Posts: 4,463 ✭✭
    I'm also interested. Love my salty but flat cat seems like a cool concept and looks comfortable in the hands.
    Forever Changing at this point.......
  • AtlantagolfAtlantagolf Posts: 88 ✭✭

I ordered one several months ago - I just installed it two weeks ago because I couldn't decide on which of my 15 putters to try it on! But that is another discussion. LOL I finally put it on my Odyssey Works versa 7h, replacing the original SuperStroke grip it came with and I LOVE IT. It helps me with alignment since I know the back of my left hand and palm of my right are pointing directly to the line I am aiming for. It also helps to keep your wrists form breaking.

I was a big fan of the original PING Palmlock grigs that are no longer available. The Flatcat is almost identical.
  • scotty_2987scotty_2987 Members Posts: 216 ✭✭

I ordered one several months ago - I just installed it two weeks ago because I couldn't decide on which of my 15 putters to try it on! But that is another discussion. LOL I finally put it on my Odyssey Works versa 7h, replacing the original SuperStroke grip it came with and I LOVE IT. It helps me with alignment since I know the back of my left hand and palm of my right are pointing directly to the line I am aiming for. It also helps to keep your wrists form breaking.

I was a big fan of the original PING Palmlock grigs that are no longer available. The Flatcat is almost identical.

Thanks for your reply! What size did you go with?
  • AtlantagolfAtlantagolf Posts: 88 ✭✭

Thanks for your reply! What size did you go with?

I went with the slim. I may try the standard next.
  • ctullictulli Members Posts: 2
    I hear they are coming out with a new and improved Flatcat.?.
  • KentuckyWildcatsKentuckyWildcats Members Posts: 31
    Bump!
  • Rookie1422Rookie1422 Members Posts: 148 ✭✭
    I've been installing many of these lately and everyone that has them

Seems to love them. It's a great concept and feel is good.
  • mister2coolmister2cool Members Posts: 3,684 ✭✭
    I have one putter with this Ping grip... it's Winn AVS Jumbo but basically the same idea. It took quite some time to get use to, but then it feels actually quite nice.

PG0017.jpg
    2017 M1 440 10.5, Project X Even Flow Black 65 6.0
    2017 M1 3W, Project X Even Flow Blue 75 6.0
    RBZ Stage 2 18*H,Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0
    Srixon z945 4-P, DG S300
    Nike Engage DS 52* DG S400
    Nike Engage TS 58* DG S400
    Callaway X-Forged 64* DG S400
    Putter... Who needs that?
  • CAJ4AUCAJ4AU Don't Drink and BST ...or eBay either! Members Posts: 1,823 ✭✭
    D3DE130B-5F7F-4DA5-ACE1-2E69207CEC71_zpsmw0zg622.jpg

I put the standard size on my Cameron X7M as a trial last night. Had a putting session during lunch and was pretty impressed with how many putts up hill, down hill and breaking both ways that I made from 10-15 feet and the ones I missed the speed was on point as well. Inside 5 feet is pretty much in the hole every time unless you get jerky or the wind blows.
    PXG 0811XF Tensei CK Pro Orange 60s
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15* HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
    PXG 0317 18* Evenflow Blue 85Hyb 6.5
    PXG 0311X 4-5 KBS Tour Hyb Proto
    PXG 0311P 6-PW PX LZ 6.0
    Vokey Wedge Works SM6 Black 50.8, Satin TVD 54K, Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Spinners,
    Cameron Custom Shop M1
    2019 Hoofer Lite
  • 95124hacker95124hacker Rare putter collection Members Posts: 1,284 ✭✭
    Installed a Fat model on my X5R. Had a flat grip on my custom Ping Anser Specify a while ago and loved it. I putt left hand low. Still getting used to the Fatty. Figured out today I need to grip my right (top) hand tight for best results.
    ‘17 M2 “K serial” 10.5* turned down a notch, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 63S
    '16 M1 3HL (17*), Fujikura Pro 70S
    King F7 2-3 (19*), Fujikura Pro 75h, S
    Epon AF-901 22*, Roddio Pentacross I-8, S
    '11 OnOff Forged 5-PW, Roddio Pentacross I-10, S
    Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 52* & 58*
    Odyssey WHP CSM 400g
    Ball: Srixon Q-Star
  • doglover72doglover72 Members Posts: 1,062 ✭✭
    Anybody used a Flat Cat with game golf live? Air hole on side of putter grip rather than top, not sure if that'll matter w the game golf system (i.e. If I **** the tracker in the side hole).
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,844 ClubWRX
    How are you guys installing yours?

From what I've seen, the Flat Cat logo should be down the line of your putt at address. However, Justin Rose has the Flat Cat logo facing up/down when at address.

PING G400 LS 9* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Titleist T-MB 3 Iron - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour Spec
    Srixon 785 4-P - Nippon Pro Modus 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
    edited Apr 15, 2017 #53
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:

How are you guys installing yours?

From what I've seen, the Flat Cat logo should be down the line of your putt at address. However, Justin Rose has the Flat Cat logo facing up/down when at address.

JR does that bc of his saw grip. Normally the flats are parallel to the face
    Odyssey WHP CSM 400g
  • driverheaddriverhead Members Posts: 866
    PIng had a PALM LOCK putter grip years ago that was based on the same concept.
    edited Apr 21, 2017 #55
    driverhead wrote:

PIng had a PALM LOCK putter grip years ago that was based on the same concept.

That was my favorite putter grip ever. Custom ordered an Anser Specify with that grip. Like a dumb a$$ I later cut it off and put a Superstroke on it
    Odyssey WHP CSM 400g
  • PingEye2 wrote:

- Josh

OK, I have to ask: How do you install grips? Because this is essentially how i do mine here at the house.

I use an air compressor. New grip slides right on.
  • adsjadsj Members Posts: 6
    just got one a week ago. Same background, played hockey my whole life, I would say if you are mimicking the hockey stick feel go with svelt or whatever the smallest one is (those are the two smaller than standard ones). Ironically I putt claw grip style which is why I purchased, but do mix in standard grip. It definitely provides a different feel, so far haven't noticed a huge difference negative or positive in my putting.
  • Need4spdNeed4spd Members Posts: 1,511 ✭✭
    edited Apr 26, 2017 #58
    PingEye2 wrote:

[url="http://www.flatcatgolf.com/how-to/"]http://www.flatcatgolf.com/how-to/[/url]

- Josh

PingEye2 wrote:

[url="http://www.flatcatgolf.com/how-to/"]http://www.flatcatgolf.com/how-to/[/url]

- Josh

I see that we have an answer here but I was wondering the same. I've installed hundreds of grips in this exact fashion with no issues what so ever.
    In the Hoofer

TaylorMade M4 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX
    TaylorMade M2 15° Aldila ROGUE Silver 110 M.S.I. 70X
    TaylorMade RSi TP UDI #2 KBS TOUR Hybrid Prototype 95X
    Srixon Z965 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 60.12D Nippon N.S. PRO Modus³ Tour 125 S
    Odyssey Milled Collection RSX V-Line Fang
    TaylorMade TP5X
  • MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 3,861 ✭✭
    I keep thinking of going this route. Wondering how the new Solution is? Better or worse?
    Driver: Adams 9064LS 9.5*
    Irons: Ping I-20 4-W
    Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue Mid 16*, 19*
    Wedges: Scratch 8620 53*, 58*
    Putter: SeeMore mFGP
    Bag: SM Four5 / Ball: Srixon ZStar XV
  • islesmbislesmb Myrtle Beach, SC (from Long Island)Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Need4spd wrote:

PingEye2 wrote:

- Josh

PingEye2 wrote:

- Josh

I see that we have an answer here but I was wondering the same. I've installed hundreds of grips in this exact fashion with no issues what so ever.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who installs grips this way. I don't have a gripping station and I like to do my own grips, so I improvise. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • jtitleist12jtitleist12 Members Posts: 2,971 ✭✭
    So you guys all take your foot and cram the putter head under the bottom of a cabinet or work bench to install putter grips?

That's what I was originally referring to in the video and to each their own but I like to take better care of my putters than that.

- Josh