Playing a "Goat Track"?

Have you ever driven by a course and made the quick decision not to play it because of what you see from the road?

I am guilty as charged! Spring Valley in Salem , Wis from the road doesn't look the part. Maybe it was the really small greens,

or the"Periscope" hole, or the not really good looking grounds.... But I gave it a try the other day and can't wait for some nicer

weather to give it another go.

It's a Langford design before he did Lawsonia and was built in the 20's. Really smallish greens, ALL grass bunkers and plays

to par 70 at @ 6400 yds. 5 par 3's and a real short par 4 make it play a LOT longer. This is the kind of course they don't make anymore but with some TLC and probably a cash infusion it would be on a lot of lists. I think it's a family operation but that just adds to the charm.

So don't be like me and give a Goat a Chance.
Ping G 10.5* (Set to 11*)
Callaway RAZR 5 wood
Ping G 25 3 Hybrid
Ping G 25, 4 thru PW
Ping Glide SS 50* - 56* - 60*
Ping Zing 2, SuperStroke MidSlim

Comments

• Golfer from MOGolfer from MO Members Posts: 986 ✭✭
    But that drive by curb appeal is soooooo important, courses should really boost manicure and landscaping on visable road exposure. Too many times if it walks like a duck....
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I kind of like goat tracks. Some old run down place that costs $17 to walk and run by the same folks for a hundred years. Hard as a rock in summer and a bog in the rainy season.

I'm probably more likely to pull over and play. Not every round needs to be a bucket list experience.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1
  • Awesomeguy887Awesomeguy887 Members Posts: 623 ✭✭
    Love courses like this. They have more character. Staff are usually friendly and the prices are better. The track I play at home is probably only a couple steps better than the adjacent pastures but I have a blast playing there.
    Ping G30 SFT 12
    Ping G5 3W
    Ping G Crossover 4
    Ping G15 4 - U
    Vokey SM6 56.14, 60.04
    Odyssey White Hot XG #7
  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,061 ✭✭
    I try to make a point at least a couple times a season to get down and play the old "goat tracks" back around the area where I grew up. There's something about those courses where I started learning how to play golf on. Nostalgia, cheap, easy. Good times.
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • DrudershDrudersh ClubWRX Posts: 2,925 ClubWRX
    I made this mistake with a course called Moselem Springs. I used to drive by it on the way to go hunting in Berks County, PA and you could only catch one fairway and one green from the road. It probably didn't help my thinking that it was in the middle of nowhere farm country, but I always thought to myself "Who is driving up here to play this out of the way cow pasture"?

Then it came up on our interclub schedule and friend of mine told me I absolutely had to go play it. I did, and now it's one of my favorite courses. Best finishing par 4 I've ever been on.
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • longleftlongleft Members Posts: 777
    I play the one by me a few times a week. It's close, cheap and easy to get a 6am tee time for a quick 9 during the week. It's baked out in the summer, soggy (but open all winter).

I play the executive course (it's more of a mid-level manager), but they also have a par 3, an 18 hole course and a few practice holes. I knock it when I'm asked, but deep down inside I like it just fine.
  • 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers Posts: 3,638 ✭✭
    Most golfers are extremely spoiled in that they demand a super manicured course every time they play no matter how much it costs. For $30 those greens better darn well roll like Augusta or they'll write a bad review on some stupid web site.

Golfers are spoiled by what they "think" they see on television every Sunday. Our Super. was at Augusta and took a few pictures you'd never catch on television......weeds.........in the fairways!!! You won't see that on TV, but they are there.

I like playing the regular courses that made the game what it is. I don't need perfectly manicured grounds to enjoy a great round of golf. I play a course right across the street a few times a year. The greens are....yikes.....I won;t comment. Some of the greens are so small I doubt you could park a car on a few of them. It's a blast playing this course and remembering what golf is really supposed to be.
  • Chef GChef G Members Posts: 69 ✭✭
    It was a soggy mess the day I played, but I enjoyed the **** out of the layout! The par 5 4th hole was just the kind of hole that makes you appreciate

the thinking behind using the property God gave them.
    Ping G 10.5* (Set to 11*)
    Callaway RAZR 5 wood
    Ping G 25 3 Hybrid
    Ping G 25, 4 thru PW
    Ping Glide SS 50* - 56* - 60*
    Ping Zing 2, SuperStroke MidSlim
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,600 ✭✭
    I have one about 5 minutes from me so I run over there quite a bit. It's over a hundred years old. The course has one of the toughest and funnest par 5s I've ever played. It's a fun place to play.
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Speedline Super LS
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Adams XTD 4-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • nikegalnikegal The golf swing is simple arithmetic, not trigonometry Members Posts: 1,188 ✭✭
    edited Mar 9, 2017 #11

I kind of like goat tracks. Some old run down place that costs $17 to walk and run by the same folks for a hundred years. Hard as a rock in summer and a bog in the rainy season.

I'm probably more likely to pull over and play. Not every round needs to be a bucket list experience.
    HaHa, I learned to Play on a goat track. I came from a single parent home and my friend's parents owned a course/range like you speak of Robin and they let she and I work around the shop and we got to play and hit balls in leu of paymemt, lol. Then when Pete left Richard's club and "retired," he bought this little course/range that epitomized "goat track," lol. So much so that Richard and his BFF found this big goat placard and put it out front by the course sign as a joke however Pete liked it and left it there, hahaha. Its funny because it was a goat track however if you stopped by it was like the king and his court as you could see Pete's brother Sam, Bob Ford, Rick Martino, Rick Smith when he was in town, not mention Jay Sigal, Mike Souchak, Harvey Ward and Duke Delcher, to name a few more, lol. So even though it wasn't much to look at, it had character and a lot of big money games were played on that goat track, hahaha. Have a nice week Robin image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Maddie
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • LokiLoki Members Posts: 1,114 ✭✭
    596 wrote:

Our Super. was at Augusta and took a few pictures you'd never catch on television......weeds.........in the fairways!!! You won't see that on TV, but they are there.

How did your super get in the middle of a fairway at The Masters?
  • larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,230 ✭✭
    I'm skipping any course with lousy greens. Takes all the joy out of golf for me.
  • AppAlumAppAlum Members Posts: 755 ✭✭
    Loki wrote:

596 wrote:

Our Super. was at Augusta and took a few pictures you'd never catch on television......weeds.........in the fairways!!! You won't see that on TV, but they are there.

How did your super get in the middle of a fairway at The Masters?

Crosswalks
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,881 ✭✭
    My home course would be considered a goat track.
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,097 ClubWRX
    The opposite can also be true. For years I used to drive by Thunderbird CC in Rancho Mirage. Every day when I was in college I would drool over the perfect fairways and greens that were visible in quick glimpses from the road. It was (still is) ultra private, and for a poor student playing exclusively on muni's all I could ever do was covet.

Fast forward 30 years and my regular partner makes friends with the super, and I finally get to play the course I've dreamed of since I was a teen. I'm not saying it is a goat track by any stretch, but I am saying it didn't live up to my expectations. It's a very nice course, but not near as nice as many other courses I've played. It was like I finally got to date the most beautiful girl in school who everyone wanted to be with and I found out she couldn't put two coherent words together. Big disappointment.
    Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • ChomperChomper ClubWRX Posts: 1,068 ✭✭
    I worked for a year at a goat track - 27 holes of flat golf w water. It was a blast! A great group of characters frequented the course, good times. Goat track or not, those guys could play.
  • Bsgolf53Bsgolf53 Banned Posts: 428
    If you don't have a goat track on the rotation you're not playing enough...
  • HoffTTMHoffTTM Members Posts: 2,120
    So long as you have a friend with you and you don't get ripped off almost anything is excusable for me.
    Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
    Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
    Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
    John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
    John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
    Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"
  • teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon Members Posts: 7,176 ✭✭
    Chef G wrote:

It's a Langford design before he did Lawsonia and was built in the 20's... This is the kind of course they don't make anymore ...

In most cases, I would rather play an interesting design with iffy conditioning than a perfectly manicured but perfectly boring cookie-cutter modern style course.
  • prsgtrmanprsgtrman prsgtrman Members Posts: 1,544
    i started on goat tracks because that was all i could afford. plus even i could have afforded a nicer track i didnt see the value in playing it. i still really dont mind playing them as long as the greens are decent(dont have to be great just not super weedy).
  • DTXgolfer12DTXgolfer12 Banned Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    There are some good bargains out there. But there are also some courses i would prefer to never play again.

That being said you get what you pay for most of the time
    New driver coming soon
    Titleist 915f Diamana blueboard 80x
    Titleist 816H1 Motore speeder tour spec 9.8x
    Titleist 716 CB 4-PW KBS tour 130x
    Vokey SM5 tour chrome 52,56,60
    Bettinardi inovai 3.0 center shaft

TM R15 TP with Speeder 757x
    TM M2 3 15* with Kuro Kago silver TiNi 70x
    TM R15 black 21* hybrid with speeder 77x
    TM UDI 3 iron with Aldila RIP tour 105x
    Mizuno MP4 4-P with KBS tour 130x
    Mizuno MP t5 black wedges 52,60
    Odyssey protype #2

WITB Link
  • jvalhallajvalhalla Members Posts: 381
    As long as there is grass in the fairways, greens and tee boxes, I'll play it. The only courses I won't play are those that have more hard pan than grass in the fairway. I played enough of those as a kid.
    Cobra Fly-Z+
    Cobra Amp Cell 3w/Cobra Rail F 5w
    Cobra Amp Cell 2H
    Mizuno MP-59
    Mizuno MP-T4
    Ping Anser 2
  • Imhappyinthe80sImhappyinthe80s Members Posts: 441 ✭✭
    Drudersh wrote:
    I made this mistake with a course called Moselem Springs. I used to drive by it on the way to go hunting in Berks County, PA and you could only catch one fairway and one green from the road. It probably didn't help my thinking that it was in the middle of nowhere farm country, but I always thought to myself "Who is driving up here to play this out of the way cow pasture"?

Then it came up on our interclub schedule and friend of mine told me I absolutely had to go play it. I did, and now it's one of my favorite courses. Best finishing par 4 I've ever been on.

I only played Moselem one time, wonderful course, they don't build them like that anymore. I play out at Berkleigh, went public a few year back, but another very solid older track.
    Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
    Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
    Ping Glide 50 SS
    Cleveland CG16 , 56
    Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter
  • El ShankerEl Shanker Members Posts: 194 ✭✭
    Goat tracks are fun on those beer drinking days. Some of the best rounds of my youth at goat tracks!
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 20,787 ✭✭
    Ultimately it's about value. Did you get your money's worth? I've played uber-expensive courses one day, and a cheap g-track the next. At times I've felt I got a better deal at the g-track, as expectations are not particularly high. As long as the greens are putt-able, and there is something resembling grass in the fairways, I'll give it a go. Of course, I'm probably not going to play them every week, but on occasion, sure.
  • ZAPZAP ClubWRX Posts: 1,590 ClubWRX
    The condition of the course is not why I play golf. I like to play those places where the "clubhouse" is actually someone's house and the family has owned it for generations.
  • Juice__25Juice__25 Members Posts: 828 ✭✭
    I play a wide variety of courses, including goat tracks. It's a different experience and fun in its own way. I have 2 near me. One has terrible greens but I see a lot of really good players there. The other is definitely known as THE goat track and you shouldn't go there unless you don't really care about course conditions and want to drink plenty of beer.
  • JedaigekiJedaigeki Members Posts: 264 ✭✭

This sounds like the course I grew up learning to play on. Even know I can't resist the urge to play these little GOAT tracks. A few have been some of my most enjoyable rounds.
  • snoilr1snoilr1 Members Posts: 508 ✭✭
    I love playing old courses that have a double wide for a clubhouse, or where the course owner lives on the course. Those places usually have the most interesting people.

However, when i lived in Scranton, PA in the mid 90s for a year a buddy and I decided to play a new 9 hole course that was $9 walking. On a Saturday, the fairways looked like they were cut to 1" with a homeowner quality lawn mower several days earlier. There were dandelions, flowering clovers, and lots of bees in the fairways. The greens and tees appeared to be the same grass as the rest of the course, only cut at typical muny fairway length... Also several days earlier. It was like temporary greens mowed in a fairway in front of the real green during a repair. I think a farmer literally decided to turn his property into a golf course, just mowed the grass with equipment he already had and put up signs and markers at the tees and cups and flags at the greens.

Hole number 5 finished near the clubhouse and we just kept walking to the car.

Titleist 913 D3
    R7 Steel 16Deg 4W
    RBZ 19.5Deg 3H
    Srixon Z745 5-P
    SM6 50.12F
    SM1 54.14, 58.08
    ProPlatinum mid-slant
  • mwmgolfxmwmgolfx Members Posts: 453 ✭✭
    I played a few in Idaho and Eastern Washington where after I finished I wondered where the cows were as i thought they were nothing more than converted cow pastures. One turned out to actually have cows on it i later saw (about 17).

I have a couple of these wonders near me. One almost across the street from the housing development i live in now is $15 with cart for winter and $10 in summer (includes cart). Driving by one has a hard time telling the fairway from the greens from the rough. I played the front nine a few years ago. Pretty busy at times due to price.

Several others in the area are not more than 25-35 at most with cart (almost nobody walks around here), Some in the 15-20 range. Some of these are actually pretty interesting layouts but conditioning especially on the greens leaves a bit to be desired. I've gotten to the point that i prefer moderately decent conditioning. hitting off hardpan hurts my hands and isn't pleasant to play plus hard bumpy greens are no fun to putt.