An Honest Opinion of the 2016 Pro V1 vs. the 2016 NIKE RZN Tour Platinum

amarc17

Tis the season for new product testing, and testing new balls at the start of each season is one of my favorite aspects of the post-Masters letdown. First test of the year was the 2016 Pro V1 vs. the NIKE RZN Tour Platinum. Honestly, the Platinum is one of the best balls on the market!

As a player who has enjoyed playing Nike products in the past, I have shied away from the balls especially in recent years due to the lack of feel and green side spin. No longer will you be disappointed with NIKE's product offering this year.

To give you the best idea of the increase in performance, I will give you a side-by-side comparison of the Pro V1 and Tour Platinum.

Overall Feel:

Winner: NIKE RZN Tour Platinum

As compared to the Pro V1, the Platinum jumps off the face on full shots. To me, the Pro V1 seems a bit sluggish off the driver face. The Platinum rockets off the face, and stays in the air.

Wind Performance:

The new flight suit cover truly works in the wind, as well. It has been a very windy spring, especially in the Northeast. This is perhaps one of the best wind balls I have ever played, even though it is a "spinning" golf ball. While the Pro V1 is a very good performing ball, you cannot argue with the performance benefit the NIKE gives you.

Iron Performance:

Rory mentioned he switched from the RZN Black to the Platinum this year as he picked up a half-club's worth of distance on his irons. He wasn't kidding. Simply put, after hitting multiple shots from varying conditions, the Platinum not only flew farther, but was a half-club longer on all irons, though wedges over the Pro V1. I was astonished that Rory's claim was in fact true for me, as well!

Greenside spin:

Winner: A true toss-up

I know, I know, I must sound like a NIKE lover by this point. I am not signed by or endorsed by NIKE, I am just stating facts. While the amount of spin that both clubs generate is easily comparable, the biggest aspect I notice is just how much softer the Platinum feels to me. The softness, due to the lower compression as compared to the Pro V1, is noticeable in just how much farther the ball flies even while chipping. If anything, most golfers who play premium balls will find that the feel and performance around the green of the Pro V1 to mimic what they have gotten used to over the years with Titleist -superior feel and spin. All I have to say is that NIKE's ball is a very suitable opponent.

Final Take:

Based on my overall analysis, the overall performance of the RZN Tour Platinum is reason enough for me to add that to the bag this year. Overall, the trajectory control, wind performance, and overall soft feel in addition to short game spin is the complete package. If anything, I have to get used to the ball flying farther on both chips, iron and driver shots.

Stay tuned, more testing to come!! Will be interesting to see how the Platinum stands up to the new Chrome Soft and Bridgestone B330s this year!

Thoughts??

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a Nike fanboy and own none of their golf products. I now tried both the Nike Platinum and Black , and I decided to switch from the Prov 1 for this season. I use Prov 1 and V1x when the weather warms up in WI. I compared all four balls on a clear non windy 65 degree day. This was not a scientific survey did not have a trackman but hit multiple shots at local course. The Nike's were every bit as good and I felt slightly better. Prov's balls are a probably viewed as the benchmark and I will never complain about the performance, but just time for a change. I tried others but always have gone back to the ProV 1 but this year I am sticking with the Nike Platinum. Distance off all clubs were great (though the black seemed to be longer with driver through hybrid) but if I were to pinpoint one thing it would be the sound and the feel. The platinum has a soft snap when you flush it that put a smile on my face, and with all else being equal for me; why not play them.

I've recently decided on the platinum as my ball this year as well. I'm a golf ball ho and have tried everything. Used prov and prov1x for ever but started trying other balls at the end of last year. I've never liked Nike balls in the past but this years platinum is by far the best they have ever had. It just seems to want to go straight off the driver and its soft but not mushy soft. The new chrome soft was very close but the platinum won out for me.

Not a Nike fanboy and own none of their golf products. I now tried both the Nike Platinum and Black , and I decided to switch from the Prov 1 for this season. I use Prov 1 and V1x when the weather warms up in WI. I compared all four balls on a clear non windy 65 degree day. This was not a scientific survey did not have a trackman but hit multiple shots at local course. The Nike's were every bit as good and I felt slightly better. Prov's balls are a probably viewed as the benchmark and I will never complain about the performance, but just time for a change. I tried others but always have gone back to the ProV 1 but this year I am sticking with the Nike Platinum. Distance off all clubs were great (though the black seemed to be longer with driver through hybrid) but if I were to pinpoint one thing it would be the sound and the feel. The platinum has a soft snap when you flush it that put a smile on my face, and with all else being equal for me; why not play them.

Swing speed please? And it's a 2015 Pro-V, correct?

95-100 with a driver. I tested against both prov 1 and Pro v1x. I prefer Prov 1 but I dabble with the Prov1x when it is warmer in WI. Usually just July and August where I feel I can properly exploit the length better with all clubs. I tested the platinum balls against the other on neutral weather day in the mid 60s, which I thought was a good average.

How does it compare to the Black? Or TPX? Or B330? Lol

I've tried all of those and It's softer than those 3 in my opinion but not mushy soft at all. It feels similar to the new chrome soft to me but a hair firmer. It feels wonderful off the putter. That's probably what I like most about it. Had my best round of a 74 yesterday and used the same ball the whole round. Still in great shape and could use again no problem.

How does it compare to the Black? Or TPX? Or B330? Lol

I've tried all of those and It's softer than those 3 in my opinion but not mushy soft at all. It feels similar to the new chrome soft to me but a hair firmer. It feels wonderful off the putter. That's probably what I like most about it. Had my best round of a 74 yesterday and used the same ball the whole round. Still in great shape and could use again no problem.

Which is the lowest spin and longest off irons? Also best in wind?

Distance wise with my swing speed (around 100-105 with driver) they are all very similar for me. I just recently got fitted with new shafts in my irons and have only had 2 rounds with them so it's hard to give you a good answer because I've only used the platinum since getting the new shafts. So I'm not sure how much of it is shaft related or ball. I will say they want to go straight though, misses don't get to far off line. The tpx and b330 (many reviews of them on here) are very good wind balls and I feel the platinum is every bit as good as they are. It comes down to feel for me and that's where the platinum wins hands down.

Thanks, similar swing speed, I'll give them a try.

95-100 with a driver. I tested against both prov 1 and Pro v1x. I prefer Prov 1 but I dabble with the Prov1x when it is warmer in WI. Usually just July and August where I feel I can properly exploit the length better with all clubs. I tested the platinum balls against the other on neutral weather day in the mid 60s, which I thought was a good average.

• 3 weeks later...

Great review, I used the RZN Black last year but I am looking for more green side spin, so I went with the RZN Tour Platinum this time around. I was not disappointed, the stability of this ball in the wind and the great spin around the greens are the two selling points for me. I seem to be hitting the ball 1/4 to 1/2 a club longer even after accounting for the warmer temps, I am significantly longer than last year with my irons especially PW-6.

I have been playing Nike balls since the Nike ONE came out in 2003, but I had to stop when the first 20XI ball came out. Those were rocks and I couldn't stand them. Fortunately I had 2009 Platinums and ONE Tour D balls to last me through the dry period. I finally was able to get back on the train with the 2nd generation 20XI, but it was far from my favorite. I think they have been doing better and better every generation but this RZN Tour Platinum is the best ball on the market in my opinion. I recently bought 2 dozen RZN • Platinum balls and they are supposed to spin ~200 RPM more than the regular Platinum, if they don't cost me much distance and I can see a noticeable difference in wedge spin I'll go with dot version. Being able to stop the ball on chip shots is very important to me, I play on some really hard Bermuda greens and without the added spin being short sided is almost a guaranteed bogey.

Anyone have any issues controlling wedge distances with the RZN Platinum? I decided to try this ball on a whim (been playing Pro V1x for ages) and I have been VERY impressed throughout the entire bag, but I occasionally find that I'll fly a wedge over the green for no reason (regular lies... no flyers, etc.). It's almost like the ball just wants to stay in the air... could be user error or just recalibrating distances with the shorter clubs, but I haven't had this problem in the past...

Callaway Paradym Triple 🔹 8*
AI Smoke Max 3wood 14*
Apex UW 19*
Callaway Apex MB '24 
Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 56, 60
Jailbird