Scotland Trip Rain Gear

Hey Guys,

I am heading to Scotland in two weeks for 6 rounds of golf and don't have any rain gear at the moment. I have never owned anything for rain outside or a water resistant pullover, which probably will not work for this trip.

Can anyone suggest a good pair of pants and jacket? I would like to spend $250 max on the set so I have been looking on eBay and Amazon for leftover deals, the problem is I have no idea what is good.

I was looking at FJ hydrolyte pants, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have only ever used FJ. They make great gear. In the UK, you will see a lot of Galvin Green as well. I would seriously consider a jacket with zip off sleeves. My FJs are that way and love it. Played a lot of UK golf with most being great weather so it is not guaranteed to rain. However keep it with you at all times, if nothing else for layering. Also make sure your shoes are waterproof - you will be walking so a couple pairs would not be a bad idea.

haha... who says it will rain here?!

i use nike hyperadapt waterproof top...

dad uses Galvin Green...

where are you playing??? good umbrella might be all you need....

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Great selection of courses. It's been very cold since early April, even by Scottish standards, so the grass hasn't been growing on the courses although the links are generally OK and St Andrews always good. Currently around 10 degrees during the day, will hopefully pick up a bit but unlikely to be much over 15. Would recommend a good base layer such as Nike Hyperwarm mock or UA, perhaps a pair of thermal tights as well then all you'll need is a shirt and trousers and some sort of 1/2 zip or sweater. East Coast often drier than the west but would still bring your waterproofs in case.

Enjoy, it's difficult not to : )

Loads of options out there, here's a current thread on the subject: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1328686-best-rain-gear/

I posted a link in it, to a quality gore-tex full sleeve pullover for $145. I've got what is effectively a 3/4 sleeve version of it and think it's great.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

My only concern with FJ is that it is not goretex material and based on some reviews I have read the waterproof coating diminishes over time. I would like to buy something that will last.

You know they do make DWR detergent so you can wash your waterproofs and it will re-apply the DWR right? If you already have a set, why spend upwards of $300 for a gore tex suit when you could buy a DWR coating for ~$10 and re-coat your current suit.

I would go for galvin green a bit more expensive but very good.i live not far from St. Andrews,as mentioned before it has been colder than usual with not much growth but my course is in great shape and the weather is supposed to improve in the next few days.i wouldn't worry about the course conditions as these courses are very well looked after and the green keepers know what they are doing.i hope you have a great visit and the weather holds for you.

We are playing Old, New, Jubilee, Kingsbarns, Gleneagles, Carnoustie, any tips or advice?

How is the weather currently, should I expect to play in the rain?

east coast so drier courses to play... except Gleneagles which gets some rain as in the glens... what date you there? i am there last weekend in June....

as far as waterproofs personally i would just buy here if needed... buy an Old course jacket or something that will remind you of your trip... my dad did the opposite last year where he did not own golf shorts and was staying at the clubhouse dorm at Secession golf club so he bought his first golf shorts(banned at my home course).

you could get any type of weather...

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

We are playing Old, New, Jubilee, Kingsbarns, Gleneagles, Carnoustie, any tips or advice?

How is the weather currently, should I expect to play in the rain?

You have some very nice courses selected. When we played Kingsbarns in '09, we saw all 4 seasons at different times during the round. Rain, Wind, Sun and Cold. We played Gleneagles two days later with no rain, but 35 mph winds and cold. I don't think anyone will be able to advise you on the weather, it changes by the minute. I have to say, this was the best golf trip ever.The people are great too.

Rain gear is widely available, including a water proof hat.

Most important to enable actually playing in the rain is a pair of rain gloves. They actually work!

Used them at Bandon but wouldn't have been able to play without them!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

I'm going summer of 2017 already started buying some gear. Scored a great deal on a FJ dry joy tour xp rain jacket waterproof and lightweight so perfect for layering underneath with thin but warm layers to avoid being too bulky.

Prob just going to bite the bullet and spend $200 on the FJ tour rain pants too. Would rather be confident in my gear vs going cheap having something fail and be miserable or spend more over there to replace it.

Throw in a waterproof hat and rain gloves i should be all set. Bringing 2 pairs of waterproof shoes and might pick up a pair of the new true elements for comfort on days the weather looks dry. Their supposed to be waterproof too.

Hard part for me will be leaving 100 degree plus weather for temps below 60.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I ended up buying Adidas 2 layer gore tex jacket and pants. It is a leftover set but still a bit pricey at $280 total but I took some advice from the thread and decided not to cheap out. I figured the extra expense for gore tex will be worth it in the short and long run.

I leave two weeks from Friday and I can't wait, really looking forward to this trip.

Thanks for all the help everyone, it was greatly appreciated.

I ended up buying Adidas 2 layer gore tex jacket and pants. It is a leftover set but still a bit pricey at $280 total but I took some advice from the thread and decided not to cheap out. I figured the extra expense for gore tex will be worth it in the short and long run.

I leave two weeks from Friday and I can't wait, really looking forward to this trip.

Thanks for all the help everyone, it was greatly appreciated.

No one has mentioned Galway Bay rain gear. They get a lot of good comments on the PGA channel on SiriusXM. Anyone have experience with them?

Also, when buying rain pants, do you buy big enough to wear over shorts, or to wear without shorts? Seems to me that being able to put them on over shorts when it starts to rain is an advantage.

I went Galvin Green - golfposer.com - has it and quick US delivery. (try ESAVE10 on promo code). You buy enough and it's free shipping. Look at the sizing - I moved up from L to XL in the waterproof jacket. You can go lined for more warmth or Goretex Packlite for less warmth and more layering. I bought a GG wool sweater, and a ProQuip Sweater - both very nice on sale. Have GG baselayer. For proquip - try proquipusa - I think their waterproofs are made with Event, which others recommend, and the site typically has sales. I also have a Nike Hyperadapt Suit, which is nice. GG has great bucket hats as does SunMountain. Good luck.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

No one has mentioned Galway Bay rain gear. They get a lot of good comments on the PGA channel on SiriusXM. Anyone have experience with them?

Also, when buying rain pants, do you buy big enough to wear over shorts, or to wear without shorts? Seems to me that being able to put them on over shorts when it starts to rain is an advantage.

There is a trend toward going more slim fitting, even in rain pants. But I agree with you that being able to slip on rain pants over shorts (or even long pants) is an advantage. They may not look as good, but when it's raining, function over form every time.

Titleist 915D2 9.5*
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3 Wood
Adams Super LS 19* Hybrid
Ping s55 4-PW
Ping Glide Wedges 50* SS, 54* SS, 60* TS
Rife IMO Putter

I bought a pair of Gore-Tex pants from roadrunner sports. It's a running store that sells a lot of layering gear. The reason I went there was because they set me up with a great pair of running shoes for a good price and I got a gift card. They stock Mizuno, Nike, Under Armour, and a few other companies for clothing. With the clothing being geared towards runners, they're easier to move in. I also bought a few thermal quarter zips and an 800 fill down vest.

I'm not a fan of having bulky sleeves so I'd rather have a compression shirt from Under Armour, thermal pull over, and a good vest than having a big bulky jacket.

Have an awesome time over there and bring back lots of stories!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]