Ball Test - Golf magazine

danimaldanimal one of the good guysMembers Posts: 419
nice to see some quantitative data
The 2/08 Golf Magazine just arrived. There's a nice in depth article on ball test results. I am glad to see some reviews based on more objective (quantitative) rather than subjective data. Lot's of sleeper balls out there. You can get near premium ball performance for about half the cost of a premium ball.

Based on this article I am looking to try the e5+ and Topflite Gamer, TM Burner. Also validated my experience that the nike pdsoft and noodle are great balls for the money. I use them as my winter balls and have had been really pleased.

Oh by the way the Target's here in Portland OR have TP Black and Red on sale for $20.98 dozen - great price. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' />

Comments

• BEND OF THE RIVER GCBEND OF THE RIVER GC Charter Members Posts: 6,559
    Do you mean QUALITATIVE? Quanitative is a lot of data, not nesessarily quality data though.....Cant wait till I get my magazine in the mail...
    TM M1 Kurokage shaft
    TM RBZ 3 wood stock Ozik shaft
    TM R11 4 wood Fujikura Rombax 6X07
    TM RBZ with Oban Revenge shaft
    Ping G irons 4-UW
    Nike VR 56*
    Nike VR 60*
    Black Lab oil can 350g custom grind by Geo
    Ping 4 Under carry bag
  • jo_busjo_bus Members Posts: 100
    I thought it was great....do they do this every year? I hope so.
  • Veritas Veritas Members Posts: 629
    BEND OF THE RIVER GC wrote on Jan 6 2008, 02:04 PM:
    Do you mean QUALITATIVE? Quanitative is a lot of data, not nesessarily quality data though.....Cant wait till I get my magazine in the mail...

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying but I think the OP has it correct. Quantitative data is not about how much data there is but that the data can be measured and deals with numbers (length, height, spin, distance,etc.). Qualitative data has to do with descriptions and things that are not measured (colors, textures, smells,feel...etc.).
  • jcrewjcrew Members Posts: 457
    bend of the river.....

he was right..... quantitative is based on numbers, thus objective: you can't approach numbers subjectively qualitative is based on observations and is subject to a bit of bias
  • nobogeys59nobogeys59 Members Posts: 375 ✭✭
    edited Jan 6, 2008 #6
    Well i would like to know why they are testing Pro V1 or the V1X at swing speed of 90 mph. And also the Nike One Platinum.
  • Adam BrewerAdam Brewer Members Posts: 81
    i may be a little late on this, but i personally like the Wilson/Staff 50.

low compression, low driver spin, sticks like glue on the greens with my short irons and wedges, and just in general feels excellent coming off the club. all for under $20 bucks a dozen.
  • Veritas Veritas Members Posts: 629
    nobogeys59 wrote on Jan 6 2008, 02:57 PM:
    Well i would like to know why they are testing Pro V1 or the V1X at swing speed of 90 mph.

While this isn't optimal for getting everything out of the Pro V1 line, the swing speed is closer to what the average amateur is going to be swinging the club at. So for your average golfer this is exactly the information they need. How the ball will perform for them. Now of course this doesn't help out the better golfers, but there are a lot of guys swinging in the 90 mph range who want to use the pro v1. So hopefully this will help them make their decision.
    What did the test say about the V1x and the Nike Platinum?
    TM M1 Kurokage shaft
    Ping G irons 4-UW
    Nike VR 56*
    Nike VR 60*
    Ping 4 Under carry bag
  • rl4673rl4673 Members Posts: 512
    It basically says the NOP is garbage if you have a 90mph swing speed. image/black eye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' />
  • mcbush25mcbush25 Members Posts: 2,040 ✭✭
    I really found the test informative. There are so many options in golf balls these days and person really has a hard time trying to find a good starting point and that is what I thought the article really did. It provided me with information based on certain criteria which helps me in deciding which balls I would like to try.
  • ezra76ezra76 Members Posts: 3,367
    edited Jan 6, 2008 #12
    Well i would like to know why they are testing Pro V1 or the V1X at swing speed of 90 mph. And also the Nike One Platinum.

Did you see they also tested them at 105? I missed that myself at first and was like WTH?? Exactly as I thought though, the Prov1X climbed up the list to longest at 105 overall. The new Callawayi actually carried just a little further with more height and less spin. The Callway was beaten in spin and softness by cheaper balls while the 1X was tops amongst the premuims in softness and 2nd only to the One Plat. in spin. Looks to me like the TP Red and Black are the best balls for the 90-100 SS that wants to play a premium ball. My vote for the best cheaper ball would be the Nike PD soft. Personally? I'd already started replacing my dwindling Prov1 supply with 1X's and this test only reaffirms it is a good decision.
  • crazygolfnutcrazygolfnut CrazyGolfNut Members Posts: 1,176 ✭✭
    I spent the morning putting all of the data into a spread sheet and then sorted a number of ways. Long story short, I have had the wrong information about a few of the balls.

Distance wise there is a 20 yard diff between the longest and the shortest ball. Looking at the ones I normal play there is only about a 5 yard diff. The big thing is the amount of spin. I have been using balls from about 6,400 range up to 8,800. The high spin balls are in the 10 to 13,000 range. No wonder I cant stop a ball on the green. I am going to have to re-think what I am going to play. To be honest the Nike PD Soft looks like a good ball for the money. Ranked 7th on distance and 25th on spin.
    • Driver: ________ Ping G400 Max
    • Woods: _______ Ping G410 3 & 5 woods
    • Hybrids: ______ Titleist 818H1 21* & 25*
    • Irons: _________ Titleist 718 AP1 6-W
    • Wedges: ______ Titleist Vokey SM6 52.08F & 56.08M
    • Putter: ________ Rife Mid Mallet 400
    • Ball: ___________ Snell MTB-X Yellow
    • Bag: ___________ Datrek Lite Rider
    • GPS: ___________ Bushnell NEO Ghost
    • Rangefinder: __ Precision Pro NX7
    • GHIN: _________ HCP floats between 10 and 12

“Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips”
  • mstarmstar Members Posts: 125
    crazygolfnut wrote on Jan 6 2008, 10:55 PM:
    I spent the morning putting all of the data into a spread sheet and then sorted a number of ways. Long story short, I have had the wrong information about a few of the balls.

Distance wise there is a 20 yard diff between the longest and the shortest ball. Looking at the ones I normal play there is only about a 5 yard diff. The big thing is the amount of spin. I have been using balls from about 6,400 range up to 8,800. The high spin balls are in the 10 to 13,000 range. No wonder I cant stop a ball on the green. I am going to have to re-think what I am going to play. To be honest the Nike PD Soft looks like a good ball for the money. Ranked 7th on distance and 25th on spin.

Is it possible for us to see the spread sheet?
  • flyhighandlongflyhighandlong Members Posts: 282 ClubWRX
    ezra76 wrote on Jan 6 2008, 02:50 PM:

Did you see they also tested them at 105? I missed that myself at first and was like WTH?? Exactly as I thought though, the Prov1X climbed up the list to longest at 105 overall. The new Callawayi actually carried just a little further with more height and less spin. The Callway was beaten in spin and softness by cheaper balls while the 1X was tops amongst the premuims in softness and 2nd only to the One Plat. in spin. Looks to me like the TP Red and Black are the best balls for the 90-100 SS that wants to play a premium ball. My vote for the best cheaper ball would be the Nike PD soft. Personally? I'd already started replacing my dwindling Prov1 supply with 1X's and this test only reaffirms it is a good decision.

What was the difference between the Prov1X and the callaway Tour IX, I am assumng they have driver, mid iron and wedge? Thanks!
    rl4673 wrote on Jan 6 2008, 03:21 PM:
    It basically says the NOP is garbage if you have a 90mph swing speed. image/black eye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' />

I was under the impression that this ball performed for a wide range of swingspeeds???
    TM M1 Kurokage shaft
    Ping G irons 4-UW
    Nike VR 56*
    Nike VR 60*
    Ping 4 Under carry bag
  • Harry PHarry P Members Posts: 93
    How meaningful is the information, really? A machine with consistent swing speed and consistent angle of attack produces XYZ spin and launch numbers at 90 mph? The problem with those numbers is that I can take 5 different guys, all with 90 mph swing speeds but because of their angle of attack they put completely different spin rates and launch angles on the ball such that there could be as much as a 50 yard difference in the actual carry. So, what may look great (or bad) on that chart may be worthless for you. The NOP may be decent for one guy, but horrific for another, even though they have the same swing speed because their launch characteristics are so different.
  • BrockBrock Members Posts: 209
    i have found similar data uses at www.golfballselector.com and been able to pick balls better for my game with an avg swing speed but emphasizing feel around greens and control. It will definately surprise you as a lot of the premium 3 layer balls while mostly thought of as long off tee with driver....may act like a soft ball around greens with wedges or irons and help us high handicappers with side spin and such.

definitely good info...
  • danimaldanimal one of the good guys Members Posts: 419
    Ditto! Can you post the spreadsheet? THANKS!
  • rattler917rattler917 Members Posts: 323
    Hey can you post a link? I can't find it on the website. Thanks image/bye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    flyhighandlong wrote on Jan 6 2008, 05:24 PM:

What was the difference between the Prov1X and the callaway Tour IX, I am assumng they have driver, mid iron and wedge? Thanks!

Off a 76mph. SW swing the tourIx had spin of 9990 and the V1X was at 12,299. Off a driver at 105 they didn't even use the IX, just the I and it was .4 yds. behind the V1X but carried .3 longer with 40rpms less spin, big difference, lol. They didn't even have the IX on the lost for softness, the V1X was actually behind the One plat. in that category. So is the Ix longer off the driver at higher SS than the V1X? It has less spin off the wedges so could be?

BEND OF THE RIVER GC wrote on Jan 6 2008, 05:35 PM:
    It basically says the NOP is garbage if you have a 90mph swing speed. image/black eye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

I was under the impression that this ball performed for a wide range of swingspeeds???

Nike's comment in the mag. begins "The Nike One Platinum is designed for Tiger or someone similar to him" image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • eRod v1.0eRod v1.0 "In Rod We Trust" Members Posts: 1,142 ✭✭
    mstar wrote on Jan 6 2008, 04:01 PM:
    crazygolfnut wrote on Jan 6 2008, 10:55 PM:

Is it possible for us to see the spread sheet?

image/friends.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Callaway Rogue SZ 9° - PX HZRDUS Smoke 70
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° - PX HZRDUS Smoke 70
    Callaway Apex 20° - PX Catalyst HYB
    Callaway Apex CF19 5-AW - TT Elevate Tour
    Custom Callaway MD4 54° - KBS HI REV 2.0
    Custom Callaway PM Grind 19 58° - KBS HI REV 2.0
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
  • Night trainNight train Members Posts: 2,824 ✭✭
    ezra76 wrote on Jan 6 2008, 07:18 PM:
    flyhighandlong wrote on Jan 6 2008, 05:24 PM:

Off a 76mph. SW swing the tourIx had spin of 9990 and the V1X was at 12,299. Off a driver at 105 they didn't even use the IX, just the I and it was .4 yds. behind the V1X but carried .3 longer with 40rpms less spin, big difference, lol. They didn't even have the IX on the lost for softness, the V1X was actually behind the One plat. in that category. So is the Ix longer off the driver at higher SS than the V1X? It has less spin off the wedges so could be?

BEND OF THE RIVER GC wrote on Jan 6 2008, 05:35 PM:
    It basically says the NOP is garbage if you have a 90mph swing speed. image/black eye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

Nike's comment in the mag. begins "The Nike One Platinum is designed for Tiger or someone similar to him" image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Certainly different than their ad copy states..............Inspired by the best players. Engineered for every player. Responsive to all swing types

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/produ...ATEGORY_ID=8772
  • jswjrjswjr Members Posts: 314 ✭✭
    Could someone provide the top 5 balls distance-wise for the 90 mph SS ?
    Ping 400 LST 10*
    K15 3 & 5 wood
    Ping ie 1  4-GW
    Ping M/B 54* & 60* wedges
    G5 Craz-e putter
    Titleist DT TruSoft
  • TheHomezTheHomez Members Posts: 491
    Did they happen to test the Nike Ignite or Srixon AD333 by any chance? If so how did they do?
    jswjr wrote on Jan 6 2008, 10:26 PM:
    Could someone provide the top 5 balls distance-wise for the 90 mph SS ?

The TP Black and Red both were hands down the best of the premiums at 90. TP Black was 259.1 and the Red 258.6. The HX hot was at 253.9 and I thought that rock was the longest ball I'd hit. Best performane and value has to be the Nike PD soft. It got 255.9 at 90, had good spin at 8800 off the wedge (beating the E6+ by 1200rpms no less) and only $15.99/dx.
  • SoftFade_GaSoftFade_Ga Members Posts: 465
    The ball that surprised me overall was the Bridgestone e5+. I currently play the last of my original B330-S and am willing to go the e5+ as a cheaper option.

I am looking at balls that still perform around the green. Here is my starter list for non premiums balls.

* Titleist NXT Tour 29.99

* Bridgestone e5+ $25

TaylorMade Burner TP $25

* Wilson Zip $20

* Callaway HX Hot Bite

Top-Flite Gamer
    TM SLDR with Motore Speeder
    Cally XR 3 wood
    Cally XHot 2 5w
    Cally XR 7w
    Ping G25 5i & 6i
    Ping i20 CFS 7i - GW
    Cally Jaws wedges 54* and 58*
    Spider Daddy Long Legs 1st gen
  • ColinMBColinMB Members Posts: 1,836
    Thanks for the info so far. I'll definintely check it out as soon as my copy arrives.

But in the meantime I have a few guesses/questions that I'm wondering if anyone can confirm?

This is all assuming about a 95MPH driver swing.

1- the Nike One Black (07) isn't in the running for best distance

2- Srixon Tri-speed is one of the deeper non Tour balls

3- So is the Maxfli Fire Tour/TP Burner ball ( I fell in love with this at the end of the season and swear it is a great all around distance/spin ball)

And I'm wondering what the verdict was on the NIKE Ignite ball?
  • JoeFJoeF Members Posts: 872
    Seems to me they made a bit of an error in what they state was the test driver.

"TM SQ 10.5 with a regular-flex Accra T50 M4 flex"

M4 is Accra's stiff flex. It freqs out at 265 CPM

IMO this would seem to be a bit much for a 90 MPH swing
  • ZBigStickZBigStick Practice Perfect Form Members Posts: 5,313 ✭✭
    edited Jan 7, 2008 #30
    Softfade,

Just go to gppgolf.com and get the Tour B-330-S for a good deal image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Don't compromise although the e5+ could be a fantastic ball now with the 330 dimple pattern.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]M4 9.5˚(10˚) GD TP-6[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]BB Alpha 816 16˚(15˚) Rogue I/O 70
    Apex 20˚ Kuro Kage Black 80
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Z U45 23˚ Steelfiber i95
    Z 745 5-PW Steelfiber i110 cw
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]RTX-4 50˚M, 56˚F (55˚), 60˚F S400 ti[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Spider Tour L-neck Silver
    Pro V1 2017
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TP-5[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Oakley Targetline Prizm Golf Dark[/font]
  • klpraklpra Members Posts: 641
    ezra76 wrote on Jan 6 2008, 04:50 PM:

Yes....The TM TP Black had exceptional distance and over 12000 spin for the 90 mph swing. This result really surprised me! Funny that it was not in the recommended balls for the 15 handicap average Joe? I wonder if it was because they thought it spun too much for the poorer short game player figuring thats not what they really need around the green?