Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

I made a decision to bounce on over here as well.

PHYSICS, SCIENCE, BLADES!!!!!

Throw another down the hatch. Let's get drunk tonight.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Wolf, let's keep each other informed on how we are riding? I have like 3 loops, depending on which one will give me a tail wind coming in. They vary from 15 - 22 mi. We could post our times to challenge ourselves..

Sounds good my friend. I need to get a few rides in first and get the lungs working again after the long winter lay off. I'm sure I could find some similar length loops though.

A good app for that is Strava. I've not used it much but have cycling friends that swear by it.

Still TOOL.

Is it me, or have they reduced the TOOL threshold? Seems way less than it used to be.

Wolf, let's keep each other informed on how we are riding? I have like 3 loops, depending on which one will give me a tail wind coming in. They vary from 15 - 22 mi. We could post our times to challenge ourselves..

Sounds good my friend. I need to get a few rides in first and get the lungs working again after the long winter lay off. I'm sure I could find some similar length loops though.

A good app for that is Strava. I've not used it much but have cycling friends that swear by it.

Still TOOL.

Is it me, or have they reduced the TOOL threshold? Seems way less than it used to be.

Excellent! I'm thinking since all loops are different, hills, road conditions, traffic, etc, not comparing average mph, but rather how much can each of us improve on a particular loop? I used to ride with a bunch of guys, and we actually seldom rode together but we would email each other on our progress - 'I shaved 5 min off my 30 mi loop today', etc.

Still TOOL.

Excellent! I'm thinking since all loops are different, hills, road conditions, traffic, etc, not comparing average mph, but rather how much can each of us improve on a particular loop? I used to ride with a bunch of guys, and we actually seldom rode together but we would email each other on our progress - 'I shaved 5 min off my 30 mi loop today', etc.

Sounds good. That's what Strava is made for. You can also compare yourself to other people who have ridden the same loop (just to confirm how slow you really are), track your personal bests and all sorts of other things. It's essentially stats tracking for cycling.

Still TOOL.

Sounds good. That's what Strava is made for. You can also compare yourself to other people who have ridden the same loop (just to confirm how slow you really are), track your personal bests and all sorts of other things. It's essentially stats tracking for cycling.

Made me laugh. Last summer, the MS150 came through as I went out for my Sat a.m. ride, and I got got caught up in their flow as it followed my normal route. Three young studs tucked in behind me, and after 1 mi they found my pace stupid. So they passed me and I tried to tuck in behind them but even drafting I couldn't keep up. They were doing like 27 consistent, and easily..

Yes! LOL.

Well, since being back out on the road for 6 weeks I've bought 2 golf clubs,

8 shafts, 11 golf shirts and a pair of golf shorts. I just can't STOP!! It's too

much fun.

I'm hoarding for retirement I think, haha.

Yes! LOL.

8 shafts, 11 golf shirts and a pair of golf shorts. I just can't STOP!! It's too

much fun.

Lol. I picked up a pair of the Ecco golf shoes last weekend at the PGA SS in Chicago. Actually, Downers Grove. It's all about the shoes. There were at least 7 or 8 pairs I wanted.

Still searching for the magic 3w. My Cleveland is okay but just not quite right. Maybe, I should get some lead tape and doctor it up. ;)

All I probably REALLY need is some bright red golf shorts, eh?

Yes! LOL.

much fun.

Lol. I picked up a pair of the Ecco golf shoes last weekend at the PGA SS in Chicago. Actually, Downers Grove. It's all about the shoes. There were at least 7 or 8 pairs I wanted.

Still searching for the magic 3w. My Cleveland is okay but just not quite right. Maybe, I should get some lead tape and doctor it up. ;)

Yes, the red shorts will definitely make you focus on your game.

Interesting confession by Jason Day about his 3 wood. It's THAT spot in his

bag he has a hard time getting comfortable with. He doesn't like the small

head and prefers using his driver.....said he can hit his driver all over the face

and be fine but NOT the 3 wood and fears the draws and hooks with it.

So he pulled out the 3 wood and put an M2 2 iron in the bag and is teeing

off with it at the Players. TPC Sawgrass is a relatively short course for a guy

like him and he doesn't need to hit driver much.

I thought it was pretty cool though that the world #1 admitted he has a 3 wood

problem........I do too, haha. I would rather bunt a driver or hit a hybrid or iron

off the tee than hit a 3 wood. I just don't have confidence where the 3 wood is

going and if I have a tight tee shot I'm not gonna hit the 3...or 4 wood.

Yes! LOL.

much fun.

head and prefers using his driver.....said he can hit his driver all over the face

problem........I do too, haha. I would rather bunt a driver or hit a hybrid or iron

I wonder if it's the same M2 he was hitting in the commercial. It was like 295 yards or something. Lol. I'll take two, sir!!

Even if I have perfect lie I'm more apt to hit hybrid than 3w. I will use 3w off the tee on doglegs where I can hit driver through the corner. If there's a tight but straight hole, Im more confident with driver.

Yes! LOL.

much fun.

Interesting Rad, I still bag my 90s era Big Bertha Warbird 3w. It's about 20 yrs old, original RCH shaft. I have gone through scads of drivers in the meantime, but I have always hit that old 3w 230 - 240 when hit properly. Depending on the driver du jour, I could hit the 3w just as far. I have hit a bunch of modern 3ws, and none of them outperformed my old warbird, so it stays in the rotation.

Can someone tell me what these threads are about and if MtlJeff can be a part of them?

These threads are free form MJ. The head exploding thing is about physics based analyses of the role of bounce in wedge shots. Other than that, there's a lot of swing thought stuff, life stuff, food stuff, music stuff, relationships stuff, talking about rounds stuff, you know..

You would be a great and honored addition to the conversation. You are legend you know...

Can someone tell me what these threads are about and if MtlJeff can be a part of them?

Remember the TV show Seinfeld - a show about 'nothing'?

Welcome to just exactly that. Some are younger than others. Some are better than others. Some build clubs - others "ho" them up - some play a lot a some a little. They come from all parts of the world. One of them uses designer wipes. One of them IS a designer wipe. One is moving. We drive trucks - we teach - we haul the mail - we are retired - semi-retired - in college - never been to college - went to a college that damaged us - and we fix teeth. One of us is currently traveling somewhere in India - one lives in Guam - some are left hand and right handed Canoodians - one is a care giver - and all of us have all the answers about golf so we just say crap to each other the others already knew. There is normally about three convos going on at once so don't feel ignored. Think of it as he clubhouse grille where you wander around until you feel like chatting about wipes or swings or something.

And as for me - I'm an axe murderer. (just that one time). So feel free to join in. Pull up an axe - I mean char and go for a ride.

No arguing is about the only house rule. We leave that for the rest of the internet bombardiers.

YES! We got MJ.

muuahah. muuahahahah....MUAHAHAHAHAH!

Actually MJ, I don't know how you have stayed away from this group thus far. We are a motley bunch of golfers from truckers to scientists and everything in between, and most of us are mentally compromised in one way or another (speaking for myself). So there's some funny stuff gets said..

Edit: This is the puerile sh!t I'm talking about.Totally uncalled for, but almost made me snot on my computer

And as for me - I'm an axe murderer. (just that one time). So feel free to join in. Pull up an axe - I mean char and go for a ride.

Yes! LOL.

much fun.

Interesting Rad, I still bag my 90s era Big Bertha Warbird 3w. It's about 20 yrs old, original RCH shaft. I have gone through scads of drivers in the meantime, but I have always hit that old 3w 230 - 240 when hit properly. Depending on the driver du jour, I could hit the 3w just as far. I have hit a bunch of modern 3ws, and none of them outperformed my old warbird, so it stays in the rotation.

Funny you mention the Warbirds. I was just thinking about getting those out for another try as I am also in a slump with the 3 wood and hybrid. I used to love those things. I posted sometime back about how I used to have a reliable "2nd serve" off the tee with my 3 wood when I really needed to hit the fairway. After the 460 drivers came out I too lost confidence in the little heads. I think I might have to leave the driver home for a few rounds and learn again how to hit those things. On second thought the problem just might be too many d@mn birthdays.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

I think the 3 wood is the hardest club to hit. If I could only practice with one club, I'd hit 3 wood off the deck exclusively. I feel like I can tell more about my swing hitting 3 wood than any other shot. I've actually started hitting mine off the tee a lot more often too. A regular Henrik Stenson minus the talent. But, I can feel ya, Conrad. I used to carry a PING 2 iron as a teenager. As soon as I sprayed a drive, 2 iron off the tee the rest of the day. I'd beat one of my buddies and he'd say I'd rather lose than admit failure with the driver. I wish we played for money back then.

The thing is when I pull 3 wood off the tee it's a purely positional shot. I don't care if it goes 195 or 245 as long as it shapes the way I want. Usually a cut, it can be high and short, low and roll out, or on the screws and almost as long as driver.

Had a weird round today... doubled the first hole, bogeyed the fourth from 75 yards out, and then birdied 4 of the last 5 holes to come in even par on the front. Totally exploded on the back, but it was hotter than hades and we were drinking pretty early so I lost energy and concentration.

I hit pulled a 5 wood about 15 yards right of the ninth green onto our chipping green. The owner acts like this chipping green is super special, and it is nice, but it's not like a "real" green. Anyways, I've never seen anything about a local rule to take relief and there are no stakes, so I hit a flop off of it. First time I had ever been in that position and just felt like I should play it as I found it. I didn't want to bump it, get it up and down for birdie, and then feel like it was illegitimate.

We stop at the snack shack to get another round of beers and sure enough the owner is sitting outside at a cafe table. He asks me if I just hit off the green. I say, "Absolutely. One helluva shot. got it up and down for birdie and didn't even take a divot."

He was not impressed. He asks me, "you can take relief can't you?"

I was like, "I dunno. It's your club, there aren't any stakes or a local rule that I know of..."

I bet we're in for a new local rule. For some reason it brought a smile to my face the whole walk to the 10th tee. I guess it's not something I would normally do, but I felt it was worth the risk and it panned out, which is always nice. Worse case scenario you take a huge divot just to move the ball 5 yards into the rough. I must admit I was thinking of the Ninja when I pulled that low bounce 60 out of the bag.

MC -

Golf shoe confession -

You remember metal spikes of course. Well I got this GREAT pair that felt like absolute heaven. Man they were spiffy. And - the spikes were ceramic - built right into the soles - never needed replacing - guaranteed for life! If the Mrs. would let me - I'd have worn those puppies around the house!

Got a month in - and some dip-wad decided soft spike were in and hard spikes were out. This touched off a series of events.

This stirred such rage in me that I wrote every executive of every company in the world a letter asking for better/smarter decision making. Letters went to governments and world leaders. My crisis was everyone/s crisis. My writings were essentially a plea begging for all dip-wads to be hung on the courthouse lawn forthwith.

Evidently one of my letters fell into the wrong hands or perhaps in my rage I may have sent one too many angry letters to one too many world leaders -

But now you know the REAL story behind how the Falkland Island War started. (When I said "boats" I meant SHOES but you know how folks twist things and misinterpret stuff).

Anywho - enjoy your new boats - and putters. And take it from a friend... if they outlaw your shoes or putters --- just roll with it man. The world will be a better place if you do.

BTW, 'Rad, last time I was at the mall I bought some red shorts. My wife and mom were not that impressed. They're almost pink they're so red. I think I'll wear them tomorrow in celebration of the Confessions crew.

MtlJeff, welcome!

Say whatever you please. Reference an old post, another thread, a personal side conversation, it's all good.

Thug, maybe a little road riding is just what I need. I've been smoking some tobacco lately and cycling always cures me of that habit.

I still had one of those warbird sole plate 5 woods in play up until a few months ago. It might be a few yards shorter than my new one, but I bet the dispersion was better.

My key to hitting 3 wood off the tee is to hit them off the deck at the range a lot and then fight the temptation to tee it high. Hard for me to believe that as good of ball strikers most of you are that you would struggle with it. I bet as Ninjitsu likes to say it's more of a "head trip."

MC, as lefties I don't think we even really know what it's like to be a true club ho. Although I must admit I have been in negotiations for an M1 driver. Speaking of.... Hammertime you know anything about the Ozik Matrix black tie. The 60 gram has the same basic torque profile as my TiNi and is 10 grams lighter. It's an X and not an S, but I'm thinking I could gain some yardage...

Reason, Mrs C kept finding shoes that she liked for me with the little nubbies on them. I have to have spikes....granted soft spikes. I miss the old steel spikes. The ceramic ones that you had sound cool.

MJ, I'm with you on practicing the 3w. I've had a few range sessions with mostly 3w. Maybe, its my take on it. With every club I have I practice at some point hitting shots. From driver down to wedge...except 3w. I'm just trying to make contact with my 3w. Lol.

I have an Ozik Black Tie in one of my drivers. It's a pretty stout shaft but it doesn't feel like rebar...if that makes sense. I think it's like a Kardashian and has a soft butt section. :D

MC, replaceable spikes all the way. Even with the newer athletic style shoes I gotta have spikes or I slide around, mostly my trail foot hitting driver.

I do miss metal spikes. Real golf shoes.

Another great 3 wood trick and I know I've said it before, but will say it again. High loft. If it's adjustable crank it all the way open. If you want a glued hosel then take a 4 wood and run a longer shaft. BIG STU approved.

I think the 3 wood is the hardest club to hit. If I could only practice with one club, I'd hit 3 wood off the deck exclusively. I feel like I can tell more about my swing hitting 3 wood than any other shot. I've actually started hitting mine off the tee a lot more often too. A regular Henrik Stenson minus the talent. But, I can feel ya, Conrad. I used to carry a PING 2 iron as a teenager. As soon as I sprayed a drive, 2 iron off the tee the rest of the day. I'd beat one of my buddies and he'd say I'd rather lose than admit failure with the driver. I wish we played for money back then.

The thing is when I pull 3 wood off the tee it's a purely positional shot. I don't care if it goes 195 or 245 as long as it shapes the way I want. Usually a cut, it can be high and short, low and roll out, or on the screws and almost as long as driver.

Had a weird round today... doubled the first hole, bogeyed the fourth from 75 yards out, and then birdied 4 of the last 5 holes to come in even par on the front. Totally exploded on the back, but it was hotter than hades and we were drinking pretty early so I lost energy and concentration.

I hit pulled a 5 wood about 15 yards right of the ninth green onto our chipping green. The owner acts like this chipping green is super special, and it is nice, but it's not like a "real" green. Anyways, I've never seen anything about a local rule to take relief and there are no stakes, so I hit a flop off of it. First time I had ever been in that position and just felt like I should play it as I found it. I didn't want to bump it, get it up and down for birdie, and then feel like it was illegitimate.

We stop at the snack shack to get another round of beers and sure enough the owner is sitting outside at a cafe table. He asks me if I just hit off the green. I say, "Absolutely. One helluva shot. got it up and down for birdie and didn't even take a divot."

He was not impressed. He asks me, "you can take relief can't you?"

I was like, "I dunno. It's your club, there aren't any stakes or a local rule that I know of..."

I bet we're in for a new local rule. For some reason it brought a smile to my face the whole walk to the 10th tee. I guess it's not something I would normally do, but I felt it was worth the risk and it panned out, which is always nice. Worse case scenario you take a huge divot just to move the ball 5 yards into the rough. I must admit I was thinking of the Ninja when I pulled that low bounce 60 out of the bag.

Completely agree, still top the odd one every now and then lol. But yea I agree you really have to be swinging it well and know your path, I know when I'm not confident with it I'll hit the semi hot pull cause I'm trying to make sure I get down on it instead of just making a good swing. The telling thing is is that little pull is probably the most rare miss for me so when it shows up in my 3 wood I know it means I wasn't making a good move.

Confession I always forget to replace my spikes. Can't tell you how many times I've had to drill the old spikes out of my icons cause they are so caked in

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62