Left hand low commitment

124»

Comments

• DeepPuttsDeepPutts Calgary, ABMembers Posts: 13

@rmgatl said:

Most of us have to change grips and or technique eventually...

Just curious what makes you think that? Thanks.

Some really great stuff written here, it's a privilege to be amongst this level of knowledge. Working with LHL golfers I don't think they are hitting the sweetspot "more than conventional", but who knows — I'd love to see data on that. For sure they need to ladder drill as mentioned to really get dialed in, and for sure it's all about that backstroke distance once they do — but just to add to that some great putters, Mickelson included, speak about setting constants when working ladder drills to really isolate the power into that backstroke, especially when working on lag putting. The idea being distance is affected both by backstroke length and by how much energy you put into the stroke — so to really isolate distance purely as a factor of backstroke length he sets a constant for the energy component. (in his case he said that was basically "always firmly and aggressively") His quote is, "You've got to take one of those variables and make it a constant", which is consistent overall with what a lot of other sage putt gurus believe. Less variability = Less margin for error.

It won't let me post the link to Phil's video because I'm new but if you search Youtube for "Odyssey 2 Minute Drill - Lag Putting with Phil Mickelson" you can see him explain it. Cheers. :smile:

Passionate about the fine art of putting.

@disco111 said:
    Arnold Palmer was asked, what would the one thing he would change, if he was starting out in golf.............His answer was "I'd putt left hand low"........

That was Jim Furyk's dad who asked Arnie and Gary that at a party, and that's why he taught Jim to putt cross handed, i.e. "One time, Mike [Furyk} approached Arnold Palmer and Gary Player at a party and asked each separately what he would change in his career if he could go back and do it over. Both said they would have learned to putt cross-handed. So Mike taught his son to putt cross-handed. That worked pretty well too, and Furyk hasn’t changed it."

edited Aug 13, 2019 9:36am #94

@High Plains Driver said:

You should feel absolutely no release.

I like your perspective. Just curious what definition of release you're using? The feeling of the putter head moving inside after impact? Just want to make sure I understand. Thanks.

• 8overpar8overpar Members Posts: 227 ✭✭✭

@disco111 said:
    Arnold Palmer was asked, what would the one thing he would change, if he was starting out in golf.............His answer was "I'd putt left hand low"........

For those that do putt LHL, do you have a slight forward press (like Spieth)?........Do you stand square to your line or slightly open or closed?

I have a forward press like fellows before me. Speith was 5 years old when I started LHL. I stand slightly open on putts and way open on everything else.

Cobra 427SS 9.0*
    Cleveland 13* S300
    Cleveland TA1 Form Forged
    Cleveland TA REG 588 53* & 60*
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum
    Top Flight XL2000 Magna
  • mmack067mmack067 Members Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was conventional grip for years and years but switched to LHL last year and stuck with it the entire year. I putted very well and was much better inside 10 feet but I found that my contact wasn't as good and my speed suffered a bit. I ditched the high MOI putter and LHL about a month ago after testing out different grips and putters with some chalk line and gate drills and varying distance "speed" putts. I found that a non-insert putter (NP2) with a conventional grip didn't sacrifice start line much, if at all, and my speed and contact was so much better I switched and have never putted better.

I think for me the best part is being able to use my right hand (dominant) to feel the club more throughout the stroke and that's made my speed better. Hitting the putt with the back of my left hand never felt natural to me.

Ping G400 LST - Copperhead 70TX
    Titleist TS2 15* - Whiteboard 70X
    Titleist 910H 17˚ -  Project X 7.0
    Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
    Vokey SM7 50F, 54S
    TM Milled Grind 58 SB
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2

Twitter-icon.png  lDLcKyO.png?1  

• GolfNuts4GolfNuts4 Members Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have gone back and forth, probably too many times. I am now back to conventional with a blade putter. The LHL just doesn't provide me the "feel" that a conventional grip does. I felt like the motion was too mechanical.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
    Callaway Big Bertha (2004) 5 wood
    Ping G30 4 Hybrid
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Irons 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey Wedges 56/60
    Scotty Cameron Monterey
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 2:03pm #98

@mmack067 said:
    I was conventional grip for years and years but switched to LHL last year and stuck with it the entire year. I putted very well and was much better inside 10 feet but I found that my contact wasn't as good and my speed suffered a bit. I ditched the high MOI putter and LHL about a month ago after testing out different grips and putters with some chalk line and gate drills and varying distance "speed" putts. I found that a non-insert putter (NP2) with a conventional grip didn't sacrifice start line much, if at all, and my speed and contact was so much better I switched and have never putted better.

I think for me the best part is being able to use my right hand (dominant) to feel the club more throughout the stroke and that's made my speed better. Hitting the putt with the back of my left hand never felt natural to me.

That’s because left hand low isn’t a left hand dominant stroke. If you’re doing it that way you’re doing it wrong. The left hand is just locking it in place. Passive. The push is from the top hand ( right ). It’s more of a square to square push strike than an arc. Try it with your top hand as the leader. Conventional wisdom thinks it’s to cut the right hand out. That’s not true. It’s to throttle the right hand flip back. Not to cut it off.

Before someone chokes on their Cheerios. This is my opinion of course. And it comes from years of experimenting with LHL and a recent trackman incident which showed exactly why the grip bandaids some things.
    Two very well recognized teachers stood and told me what I already felt. That you aren’t dragging the putter with left hand. Your pushing it with your right and the left is simply locking it from flipping the putter head past the hands. It’s moving the hinge position in the hands and making it near impossible to break down because of the leverage point change.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• tobiasjdtobiasjd Members Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭

I just switched back to conventional. The thing I struggled with was seeing the line and getting aligned properly. I find it's easier with a conventional grip.
    I think LHL is good if you struggle with keeping that right hand from popping the ball though.

Cobra King LTD Black
    Titleist 910FD 15° 3w
    Titleist 917F2 18° 5w
    Callaway Apex 4h
    PING iBlade 5 - PW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 52°, 56° SS
    Titleist Vokey 60° K
    Bettinardi BB1
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

LHL is the only way to go for me. i've tried conventional - dabbled for awhile with the claw but...always come back to LHL and a blade style putter for me.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / HZRDUS Smoke Green Hulk 60 6.5TX tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• neillmacparguyneillmacparguy Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Tried them all. Used to even switch between rounds. Recently put a new SuperStroke fatso on my Evnroll and have had great success with the Claw grip. Yes, even I hated seeing that grip but **** the putts are going in. Think I’ll ride it out for a while.

Neill A. MacLeod III
    Greenwood, NS
    Callaway Epic 9 deg
    Callaway Epic Flash 15 deg
    Adams Black Super Hybrid 15deg
    Miura CB-501 irons
    Scotty Cameron Fastback 34”

• Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bladehunter said:

@mmack067 said:

That’s because left hand low isn’t a left hand dominant stroke. If you’re doing it that way you’re doing it wrong. The left hand is just locking it in place. Passive. The push is from the top hand ( right ). It’s more of a square to square push strike than an arc. Try it with your top hand as the leader. Conventional wisdom thinks it’s to cut the right hand out. That’s not true. It’s to throttle the right hand flip back. Not to cut it off.

Before someone chokes on their Cheerios. This is my opinion of course. And it comes from years of experimenting with LHL and a recent trackman incident which showed exactly why the grip bandaids some things.
    Two very well recognized teachers stood and told me what I already felt. That you aren’t dragging the putter with left hand. Your pushing it with your right and the left is simply locking it from flipping the putter head past the hands. It’s moving the hinge position in the hands and making it near impossible to break down because of the leverage point change.

I never understood this until last year. As I said before I tried LHL about 15+ years ago and was horrible with it, but I was trying to let the left hand "lead" the stroke. It wasn't until I tried again last year and thought about how I used to think of my conventional putting as I would "hold it with the left, stroke it with the right", and then tried to apply that to LHL. It probably came from watching pros on the practice green at the Colonial a few years ago and seeing some practicing one handed with their right hand, something I started doing now and again on the practice green, even before I switched to LHL. Even thought my left hand is my dominate hand (write, throw, etc with my left), and I play golf right handed, my touch/feel seems to be in my right hand/arm.

WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Epic Flash SubZero 15* Tensei AV Blue 75X
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
    Cleveland RTX4 50 Mid Recoil 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
    Ping Glide 2.0 60 SS 
    Odyssey O'Works 2 ball, or Cleveland BRZ 2 or Never Compromise Dinero  Baron 
    Srixon Z Star or XV
  • Sanfran328Sanfran328 San FranciscoMembers Posts: 34 ✭✭

I’ve tried LHL and claw grips the last 3 years, with some practice with a conventional grip as well, with several different putters. For a while the claw worked well, but I never felt like I had great distance control on long putts. I realized that I played my best golf and putted the best earlier in my “career “ LHL. And much of that with a Bullseye blade.

I’ve committed to LHL, only this time it’s with my Odyssey O-Works Tank putter. It’s the heaviest putter I’ve ever used, almost feels like it’s swinging itself. At first I had some problems with speed control on really fast greens, but I think I have that (somewhat) under control.

One last thought, I recently realized that my grip was getting too much into my fingers. I have focused on gripping more in the palms, and it helps me keep the blade more square through impact.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree driver, Mitsubishi Bassara TB R Shaft tipped 3/4”
    Callaway Epic Flash 3 Wood, Mitsubishi RF50-R Shaft tipped 1 1/4”
    Callaway Epic Flash Hybrids, 19 and 22 degrees stock R Shafts
    Epon 305 Irons, 5 Iron through L Wedge, Mitsubishi C6 Shafts
    Odyssey O-Works #7 Putter
    Srixon Z Star Ball

• RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

After 3 years of LHL, I'm back to conventional.
    I found myself pulling short putts LHL. Someone mentioned earlier that pulling with the left hand can be a problem, an I think that had crept into my stroke.
    Changing has solved that problem for the time being....
    Shot a 76 w/ 30 putts last week. Only one birdie but only one 3 putt as well one some grainy bermuda. Only missed one short putt.

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS or Xhot 15* OG Blueboard 73s
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s 
    RTX4 54/10 and 58/8 2 dots
    Bettinardi BB1/ Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)
    Some kind of 3 or 4 piece urethane covered soft feeling ball
  • OknowsOknows Members Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Lionstar said:
    I have putted LHL for 20 years,,long before it became popular as it is today. I can tell all of you trying this that the backstroke is INITIALLY started by pushing back with the left hand but then the stroke is dominated BY THE RIGHT HAND. I learned this about 10 years ago by hearing Tiger say his distance control was always with the right hand . Even though his grip is conventional, he is correct for both styles. Since this discovery I have become an exceptional putter. In short I will say that after the initial take-a-way push with the left, the right hand should dominate.

Not sure if you are still following this thread, but thanks for this. Not sure why I've never heard this or had this thought, but it has helped me a ton.

Ping G410 Plus 9* w/ Diamana W 70x
    Callaway Rogue 15* w/ PX Evnflow Blue 75x
    Ping G 17.5 w/ Tour 80
    Callaway CF16 4-AW w/ DG TI x100
    Ping Glide 2.0 54* w/ DG s400
    Ping Glide 2.0 58* w/ DG s400
    Evnroll ER1
  • High Plains DriverHigh Plains Driver Chip Yipper Extraordinaire Members Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@DeepPutts said:

@High Plains Driver said:

You should feel absolutely no release.

I like your perspective. Just curious what definition of release you're using? The feeling of the putter head moving inside after impact? Just want to make sure I understand. Thanks.

The putter will swing on an arc back to the inside naturally, but the feel I have is that I am pulling the back of my left hand towards the hole the entire forward stroke. There is a minuscule amount of face rotation (due to the arc), but it does not feel that way.

I am not brand loyal. I am just seriously OCD.

[font=georgia,serif]Driver: Titleist 910 D2
    Fairway: Titleist 910F 3 & 5
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler MM 20° & 23°(The Original)
    Irons: Titleist 712 AP2 5-P
    Wedges: Vokey SM4 52° & 58°
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport
    Ball: Titleist ProV1X
    [/font]
  • jerebear21jerebear21 Don't Go Left ClubWRX Posts: 3,313 ClubWRX

longer back stroke and a stronger right hand grip has helped tremendously; i've been doing it for close to 5 years now. get a couple lessons from instructors who does left hand low. it's the most beautiful roll

thehuyhuynhfoundation.com
    FlashSz 1w ADTP, 3w ADIZ, 5w ADDI, Graphite Design
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW, 718 TMB 4i, Accra i100
    Fourteen RM22 53/58 Accra i100
    Tour Newport // SC 009 
  • AG12AG12 Members Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone find that Center Shafted putters work better for LHL than toe hang putters?

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist TS3 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
    Callaway Apex '19 5-AW Nippon Modus3 105
    Titleist SM7 50.12F/54.10S DG S200
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58*/ATV KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • granata10granata10 MichiganMembers Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

I have been putting left hand low for about 5 years now. I was a decent putter before but much better now. I almost always hit my intended line and like others have said 15’ and in it’s great. If i have a good read it’s going in. Distance control was the hardest part for me to get used to. When I started to focus on tempo of the stroke and keeping an even tempo back and through it helped me tremendously. Now it’s all about getting a good read and I am averaging around 29-30 putts per round.

Ping G30 LST 10.5*
    Callaway XR Pro 16*
    G400 hybrid 19*
    Ping i500 4 iron
    Ping i210 5-UW
    Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54* & 60*
    Ping Nome TR
  • Jaygolf37Jaygolf37 All Go. No Quit. Members Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I switched a long time ago to LHL after reading about Jack’s right wrist angle he kept through his stroke. Obviously worked for him, but the only way I could make it feel right was when I went with my left hand low. I now only have two of my left hand fingers on the grip of the putter. Works for me because I get the correct impact angle and face rotation.

Ping G30 LS Tec w/ Tour 65
    Cobra BioCell 3W w/ Aldila Tour Green ATX65
    Cobra AmpCell 6 wood w/ Fuji Fuel
    PING G25’s
    Vokey SM6’s (54s & 58k)
    Odyssey Black Series Tour #5 or Exotics Tour Series 2.3
    ...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

@granata10 said:
    I have been putting left hand low for about 5 years now. I was a decent putter before but much better now. I almost always hit my intended line and like others have said 15’ and in it’s great. If i have a good read it’s going in. Distance control was the hardest part for me to get used to. When I started to focus on tempo of the stroke and keeping an even tempo back and through it helped me tremendously. Now it’s all about getting a good read and I am averaging around 29-30 putts per round.

Yes, even tempo for all length putts. Have you heard of instinct putting? It's a good drill for some folks developing natural feel for distance. Basically it's just staring at the cup while you putt instead of looking down.

• granata10granata10 MichiganMembers Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

@DeepPutts said:

@granata10 said:

Yes, even tempo for all length putts. Have you heard of instinct putting? It's a good drill for some folks developing natural feel for distance. Basically it's just staring at the cup while you putt instead of looking down.

I haven’t heard of instinct putting but have done that drill for years, look at the hole and hit the putt. I really like doing it early in the year to get my feel back. I also don’t look at the ball. I look at a spot about an inch or 2 in front of the ball on my intended line, learned that from Dave Stocktons book.

Ping G30 LST 10.5*
    Callaway XR Pro 16*
    G400 hybrid 19*
    Ping i500 4 iron
    Ping i210 5-UW
    Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54* & 60*
    Ping Nome TR
  • mlaingmlaing Members Posts: 36 ✭✭

I’ve been putting LHL for about 20 years, pretty much as long as I’ve golfed. I had a 2 year experiment with an arm lock but even with that I was LHL. Every now and then I mess around on the putting green with different grips ( 10 finger, interlock, overlap and the claw) but nothing feels as natural and automatic as LHL.

Driver - Cobra F9 9* with Fujikura Atmos 7X
    5 Wood -
    Hybrid - Adams Super LS 23*
    5 & 6 Irons - Srixon Z545
    7 - PW - Srixon Z745
    Wedges - Bridgestone J15 50* and 54* and Callaway PM grind 58* and 64*
    Putter - Evnroll ER9.2 33 inches

@granata10 said:

@DeepPutts said:

@granata10 said:

I haven’t heard of instinct putting but have done that drill for years, look at the hole and hit the putt. I really like doing it early in the year to get my feel back. I also don’t look at the ball. I look at a spot about an inch or 2 in front of the ball on my intended line, learned that from Dave Stocktons book.

Can't go wrong with Dave, a lot of people don't understand some of his stuff but he drops more useful quotes per minute than anyone in the game. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file