We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

uPRO....Anyone seen this latest entry in the GPS wars?

Comments

• sfigginssfiggins  400WRX Points: 74Members Posts: 400
    Delays don't matter to me because I feel it's better to get the product right before going to market. When this thing is released and reviewed then I'll make a decision, but at this point this thing looks great.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jfsx4jfsx4  19WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 19
    Perhaps I was a bit too harsh trying to make my point. Why promise a release date BEFORE it's ready? Get it ready THEN announce the release of the product. MicroSoft, et al, releasing products still in development set integrity in business back a 100 years. I'd love to buy one of these- but I won't till it is an actual product. Pre-selling a product that doesn't really exist yet has always bothered me. Focus the company energy on getting the product done, not promoting phoney magazine covers. If your business model did not anticipate the money needed to bring your idea to market, then you are likely to compromise the purity of your idea to get it ON the market. Promised products based on mock-ups or prototypes feed the current "give-it-to-me-now" philosophy- it is not a correct business philosophy.

I could say I'm currently working on a neural-net body suit that makes your muscles fire in the correct sequence to mimic your favorite golf pro's swing, And I'm currently pre-selling the item. I might be honest about the goal of my endevour, and I might have a prototype. Is it a finished product ready for sale? Nope.
    Posted:
  • JarondishnerJarondishner  77WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 77
    I lot of poeple don't understand. When you have hundreds of poeple calling in asking for a release date you have to give somthing. Any business when developing new product has to give a release date. just my 2 cents
    Posted:
  • BankerGolferBankerGolfer  575WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 575
    This is why I wait until new tech stuff ships out to others FIRST....
    Posted:
  • Br7ianBr7ian  78WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 78
    I saw a uPro display yesterday at Edwin Watts in MA and they appeared to have the units as well (I didn't investigate further bc, by the time I finally got someone to man the register, I was fairly annoyed).

So, has anyone got their paws on one yet?
    Posted:
  • vsmithvsmith  34WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 34
    Upro called me tonight at 8:30pm CST so it was 6:30pm his time and said the units did indeed start shipping today and the reason for the late night call was that their credit card information file had become corrupted and they were calling to get the card number again. He didn't say how many people were affected but I take it that possible all the preorders were unusable. I don't know that for sure though. We straightened that out and he said they got a lot of the units in over the weekend and more to come this week. I ordered mine May 7 and he said it should go out tomorrow, June 3rd. He was very nice and said the units looked great and the screen was gorgeous. I also ordered the case and car charger and he said both were in stock as well. He apologized for the delays and credit card trouble but obviously by him calling me that late says they are working to get things right. I think that is all you can ask for since I'm sure starting a new venture with what appears to be cutting edge technology has some issues along the way.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • RickvetteRickvette  12WRX Points: 55Members Posts: 12
    I too received a call last night. Same problem with the credit card. Took the info over the phone and said it would be going out this week.
    Posted:
  • larson92larson92  87WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 87
    Rickvette wrote on Jun 3 2008, 08:11 AM:
    I too received a call last night. Same problem with the credit card. Took the info over the phone and said it would be going out this week.

You folks are a little more trusting than I am.  I never give credit card info to anyone who calls me--that is exactly how scammers do their thing.  Someone could have gotten their hands on the customer list...

I'd be worried until the unit showed up at my door.... image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    I spoke to them yesterday (Wed.) and they said the units DID NOT ship out on Monday as I was previously told. The person I spoke with said they were having a problem with the website and they should go out this week. I was being told different things so I just said look I'm not upset I just want to know the truth. He said that was as straight as it gets and the latest info he had. I guess we all hate the delays but we all want a product that works too. So at this point he said the units are very stable as they have said in the past and they think the webmaster has resolved those issues as well as the credit card issues so maybe we will see the units soon. He did say they had 2000 units to ship out. I do wish they would have sent another letter letting us know what is going on. We are all adults here and understand delays in getting a new company started.
    Posted:
  • RickvetteRickvette  12WRX Points: 55Members Posts: 12
    I have just checked my credit card and Upro has charged me exactly what I was told the other night. I expect they will be shipping them out now.
    Posted:
  • wigalowigalo  2WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 2
    Well I just tried to place an order on Upro's site and it kept erroring out. I called to try and place the order with a live person. (called and spoke with someone in sales and they transferred me to customer service; go figure) Of course Customer Service won't pick up and there's no machine.

I'm an early adopter, but now I'll wait to see what luck others are having with their orders before I try again. I guess I refuse to beg someone to take my $.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • GscoGsco  153WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 153
    A friend said he got a tracking update to arrive next Wed. Maybe the west coasters will arrive sooner.
    Posted:
    My unit is supposed to be here Thursday via UPS as I now have a tracking number. They do seem somewhat disorganized as I have spoken to them several times and while always very courtesy and kind it's kind of like the right doesn't know what the left is doing.
    Posted:
  • CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals, 8226WRX Points: 277Members Posts: 8,226
    I want one that comes pre loaded with every thing I need. Then I hit the button on each shot and it gives me distance hit and then saves the info. then at teh end of the round I can check GIR, fairways hit etc... I can put in the info and bam
    I will have my handicap.

Anything like that out there that does not cost a mint?
    Posted:
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    Cleveland RTX 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1
  • labillyboylabillyboy  465WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 465
    Cwing wrote on Jun 7 2008, 12:09 PM:
    I want one that comes pre loaded with every thing I need. Then I hit the button on each shot and it gives me distance hit and then saves the info. then at teh end of the round I can check GIR, fairways hit etc... I can put in the info and bam
    I will have my handicap.

That's the Golf Buddy http://www.golfbuddyusa.com/en/product/pro...atures_tour.asp

I saw the uPro at Plaza Golf in Torrance yesterday... they are out.

I am going to get the Golf Buddy for now, I like not having to download and pay for courses all the time. If uPro makes it, I might take a look at the next version when they have more courses mapped and all the bugs are worked out.
    Posted:
    I would get the GB too. Used it today alongside the SG 2.5 and the cart had their own gps system. The GB+ was consistent with the cart. I used to love the 2.5, but it has been flaking out recently. It will suddenly lose signal and all yardages will disappear. It was also off on yardages compared to the cart and GB. It went back in the bag after 7 holes.

That being said, can't wait to see the Upro.

Whoa, has anyone seen the update to the course search site from Upro. This is hard to explain. For 10 courses (pro mode) it says it will cost 60 bucks. It also says when you buy you receive credits. At the course search it has basic mode listed as 1 credit and some of the pro modes listed as 3 or 5 credits. Confusing. I don't know if they are trying to say if I buy 10 courses for 60 bucks and buy a course that is listed for 5 credits, I've used 5 courses???? That will definitely suck.

What the ?$#@.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Advertisement
  • phil75070phil75070 North Texas - 32m North of Dallas 1902WRX Points: 112Members Posts: 1,902
    labillyboy wrote on Jun 7 2008, 02:25 PM:
    Cwing wrote on Jun 7 2008, 12:09 PM:
    I will have my handicap.

That's the Golf Buddy http://www.golfbuddyusa.com/en/product/pro...atures_tour.asp

I saw the uPro at Plaza Golf in Torrance yesterday... they are out.

I am going to get the Golf Buddy for now, I like not having to download and pay for courses all the time. If uPro makes it, I might take a look at the next version when they have more courses mapped and all the bugs are worked out.

Which version of the Golf Buddy are you getting? I am intrigued by the Pro or soon to come "Tour" version. It looks like the only difference between those two would be the color LCD.
    Posted:
    It sounds like you are one of the first to see the production unit so how did it look?
    Posted:
  • Bombn Bombn  594WRX Points: 55ClubWRX Posts: 594
    Got mine today and so far I am impressed. Very small and light weight. About the size of a deck of cards, very easy to slip into a pocket. Seems well built as well.

I did have to disable my firewall to get it to connect with their server. Will give more specifics after I play with it more image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' />
    Posted:
  • newportbeachnewportbeach  3576WRX Points: 178Members Posts: 3,576
    OK - I'm thinking I may just use the new iphone 3g. Hopefully someone will make a golf course app for the GPS that will be built in.
    Posted:
    Though much is taken much abides;
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
    - Lord Tennyson
  • sambocaesarsambocaesar  36WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 36
    Got UPro GPS today ... went thru the intro videos on the device.

Hooked it up to my pc to register and sync ... guess what, there's no freaking Sync software on this one ... called Support ... has no idea what to do ... has to call me back.

Here's what I think will happen .. they will either send me the Sync software to download (preferably by email) to the device or someone will decide to send me another unit .. as I am not sending this back to wait for another delay because their manufacturer/software loader screwed up. I called about 20 mins ago .. we'll see how long it takes to get a resolution.

What they may find out is that they will have put this Sync software on the website, so customers can get to it ... I doubt if this is the only unit that is missing it ...
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Besides the error, what do you think of the unit.
    Posted:
    It's small .. size of LG Chocolate phone .. can't tell you much else, since I can't even download a course yet. You're supposed to be able to Preview a course without being there (like Car GPS), but have to wait until I can register it. I went through the intro videos .. that's about all.
    Posted:
    sambocaesar wrote on Jun 11 2008, 12:46 PM:
    It's small .. size of LG Chocolate phone .. can't tell you much else, since I can't even download a course yet. You're supposed to be able to Preview a course without being there (like Car GPS), but have to wait until I can register it. I went through the intro videos .. that's about all.

Preview mode is fantastic - Just loaded up Torrey Pines! The yardages in "preview mode" are from the tips.
    Posted:
  • alevinealevine  82WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 82
    Does the unit feel durable? The specs indicate it is pretty darn light. Can you golf comfortably with the unit in your pocket without distraction (I know you have not taken it out yet but curious to know about the size and weight)?

Thanks,

Adam
    Posted:
    It is light and slightly larger than a LG chocolate phone (check the phone size on Verizon). It will be comfortable in your pocket. I'm not sure how it would do if one dropped it on the cartpath .. I plan to get a protective case. The Golflogix GPS seemed to be much sturdier. Although, it was heavier, I carried it in my pocket without a problem for the few rounds I used it.

Still have not heard back from UPLAY .. 2 hours later.

9Six4 has a working one ..
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • pnmdpnmd  13WRX Points: 60Members Posts: 13
    I found some pics on the internet. Screen resolution doesn't look too great.

Are there courses available yet? In my area it says 8/2008 and 9/2008 for courses to be mapped!

upro21.jpgupro4.jpg
    Posted:
    Screen resolution is fantastic - like an Iphone - pictures posted above are terrible.
    Posted:
    I was just reading about the u-blox 5 chip these units are using. If it is as good as the literature and the courses are mapped precisely, it should be quite accurate.

The site boasts this...

u-blox 5 boasts the fastest acquisition engine in the GPS market. The u-blox 5 chip is composed of two separate engines, one devoted exclusively to acquisition and one correlator engine for tracking. With over 1 million correlators, the dedicated acquisition engine is capable of massively parallel searches.

50 Channels

Over 1 million correlators

Simultaneously receives GPS, WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS and GALILEO satellites
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Slapjax7s Slapjax7s JERSEY 2005WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 2,005 BST Banned
    Already had two units come in today because of the red button in the center getting stuck when the person pushed downward on it. Dont know if this has happend to anyone else, but i know were halting on incoming units until they fix this issue.

Be Careful when pushing red button guys.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.