Alameda South

Metro-PA

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Website is still showing late 2016 for reopening.

Speaking to some of the locals at the Alameda Commuters they reckoned quite a few days were lost to rain over the winter and that the schedule had slipped a bit. They were still hopeful that the new course would be available for the Commuters in April 2017.

It's a lot of dirt that has been brought in for it, they reckon they have lifted the entire property close to 3 feet. The few areas that looked to have been graded looked pretty interesting. Certainly very different from the old course.

I can't wait to see an illustration of the new layout and yardages. They apparently turned #1 into a par 5.

They would need to move the tee box way back to make it a par 5

They said they moved the green up near where the number 2 green is/used to be. That means they must have made changes to other holes to accommodate that change.

For example, the old first hole changes from a shorter par 4 into a par 5 that slightly doglegs right and finishes close to the old second green, so even with the routing staying the same, the course will have a totally different feel.

As we strolled through the first nine holes, many of us began to lose our bearings. And this was a strange experience. None of the new holes resembled in any way the holes that were there for such a long time, and we had to pick out landmarks like the road or some trees we recognized to orient ourselves to where we were.

This was nothing like the course we had played for years and years, and it was hard to remember, or see, the old holes we played. They’re gone. This is a brand new course, with the same routing.

http://www.reesjonesinc.com/jack-clark-south/jones-shows-off-new-south-course.php

I can't wait to see an illustration of the new layout and yardages. They apparently turned #1 into a par 5.

Heard the same thing. Funny thing, #2 was one of the better par 3's on the course.... Hopefully they new layout has a similar hole.

I agree, that was a fun Par 3. I used to live in those greenside bunkers

Heard the same thing. Funny thing, #2 was one of the better par 3's on the course.... Hopefully they new layout has a similar hole.

The overlay on Rees Design site - which is purportedly of the redesign - oddly shows #2 still being there. The overlay roughly shifts a few holes a yard or two and shows completely new bunkering, but turning #1 around to the old second green siting really doesn't leave any room in there :-S

I'd always assumed they would shoehorn in a new par 3 down at the end of the property alongside 5th green and 6th tee. I guess they could knock down the toilets and still have #2 be a par 3 between #1 and #3.

All the crab grass finally pushed me away from the North course, be nice to put at least one of the Alameda courses back into the rotation.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

The overlay on Rees Design site - which is purportedly of the redesign - oddly shows #2 still being there. The overlay roughly shifts a few holes a yard or two and shows completely new bunkering, but turning #1 around to the old second green siting really doesn't leave any room in there :-S

I'd always assumed they would shoehorn in a new par 3 down at the end of the property alongside 5th green and 6th tee. I guess they could knock down the toilets and still have #2 be a par 3 between #1 and #3.

All the crab grass finally pushed me away from the North course, be nice to put at least one of the Alameda courses back into the rotation.

That overlay was when they first presented the site. I think somewhere along the way they changed what they were going to do with the course.

I just reread this little tidbit of info:

On opening day, the scorecard of the new layout will look a lot like that of the old South Course, with subtle changes such as combining the first and second holes into a par-5 opener, retiring the old par-3 second hole. This should help with the flow of play and eliminate the par- 4/par- 3 start both nines shared in the past.

Ok I got a little too interested in this so I checked out google maps and their aerial photo is new enough to show the front 9 holes with completed new layout. I made a quick and dirty map to show what I assume the new routing will be. The par 3 2nd hole has indeed been removed and a new par 3 has been added at the very south of the property as the new 5th hole.

Ok I got a little too interested in this so I checked out google maps and their aerial photo is new enough to show the front 9 holes with completed new layout. I made a quick and dirty map to show what I assume the new layout will be. The par 3 2nd hole has indeed been removed and a new par 3 has been added at the very south of the property as the new 5th hole.

Seeing this makes me realize how much I miss this course. This is awesome! Thank you for sharing.

Ya that was the only place they could put it, without drastically altering the routing.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Yeah, going to miss that hole. I used to live on the 3rd tee when I wasn't living in the greenside bunkers.

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Opening Day has been set for June 22nd 2018!

Course looks awesome! Looks like they slightly altered the layout of a number of holes including 15 which now doglegs the opposite direction. Google earth images also show some tree removal to open the course up. The pictures are getting me very excited to play it again. Sorry the pics I posted are huge. More pictures and info here:

https://coricapark.com/

http://www.reesjones...ck-clark-south/

1.jpg

2.jpg

Looks sweet, but $100 to play at the 'Chuck? Kinda expensive, but what isn't around the bay these days?

Woah I didn't even see they'd posted a price yet. That's too much for a muni

Well I just saw that Palo Alto Muni reopend after a similar rebuild as Alameda South. The prime weekend rates seem to be in the same range at $100ish to ride.

Muni golf is apparently just like most things in the Bay Area, too expensive.

• 3 weeks later...