ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Now that it's legal, Going to use a rangefinder?

easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a HoRules Official Posts: 12,159 mod
Now that it's legal, Going to use a rangefinder?

Comments

• OaksOaks Member of #TeamJetSpeed ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 2,362 ClubWRX
    I had one down in FL and found that it hurt me more than it helped me... I guess I like my instincts better.... image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />

I had one down in FL and found that it hurt me more than it helped me... I guess I like my instincts better.... image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />
    taylormade-small.jpg M1 440 9.5* - ACCRA TZP Proto 265 M5
    callaway-small.jpg X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X
    ping-small.jpg i15 Hybrid 17* - Project X 6.0
    taylormade-small.jpg 2014 MC - 3-PW DG Tour Issue X100
    titelist-small.jpg Vokey SM5 54.10S & 60.11K - DG TI X100
    odyssey-small.jpg O Works 7
    titelist-small.jpg 2016 Ultralight - titelist-small.jpg Pro V1X
    #TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

WITB Link
  • Husky18Husky18 Pro no more Advanced Members Posts: 792
    Yes, without a doubt.
  • ajlacombeajlacombe Advanced Members Posts: 228
    Absolutely - been using one since 1996. Anyone that says that they are not, what do you do on a par 3 or do you step off the yardage? What is the difference? The pros have the exact yardage, they have the location of the pin, and they have the slope profile on the green. This evens it up just a bit, but their caddie and pin sheet are far more than a rangefinder.
  • JHRJHR Charter Members Posts: 4,347
    edited December 2005
    I don't think i would ever use one, i don't even like the GPS Yardage Systems on a cart, i still walk it off, i guess it is so much a part of my routine that i can not ever see me changing it. Give me a yardage book and i am good.
  • italianstallionitalianstallion Bethpage Black - 8th hole Junior Mod Squad Posts: 3,016
    Question: Are those scope/binocular rangefinders included in this rule? Just wondering. Eventually, i'll buy a rangefinder, just not now. I do really need to get more exact with my distances instead of just eyeballing it. Just asking about the scope kind because I was thinking about buying one for $20 bucks.
  • SakmanSakman @ryansako Marshals Posts: 6,291 mod
    Yeah, I'll be using one...my wife just picked me up a Pinseeker 1500 for Christmas.
  • kkherekkhere Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,138
    i dont think so. If everyone else arounds me starts using one and i feel i am at a disadvantage by not using technology to my advantage, then i will switch
  • ScottWS33ScottWS33 Up and down for par Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,379
    edited December 2005
    I wouldn't use one. I see it as a waste of money considering I am pretty good at pacing off yardages anyway. Like JHR I see pacing yardages as part of my routine and would be uncomfortable changing.
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 9° (set to 10°) w/ Speeder 565 Stiff
    Titleist 910F 17° (set to 16.25°) w/ MFT Kai'li 75 Stiff
    Titleist 913H 21° (set to 20.25°) w/ Diamana S+ 82HY Stiff
    Titleist AP2 4-9 w/ XP 95 S300
    Vokey SM4 46°, 52°, 56°, 60°
    Scotty Cameron GoLo S 34"
  • GolfwolfGolfwolf Members Posts: 2,635
    I am planning on getting one for next season, either the Pinseeker or the Nikon 500G.
    Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
    TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
    Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
    Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
  • easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a Ho Rules Official Posts: 12,159 mod
    pinseeker with or with out slope? I dont get the pro or cons of the slope -
  • BigteeBigtee Advanced Members Posts: 87
    I think I will try it on unfamiliar courses.

• JohnnyJohnny Get Kwok'd Charter Members Posts: 8,706
    slope is a no-no rules wise...so no slope for me

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
    Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
    Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
    Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
    Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

• MrParr1NoidMrParr1Noid Golf was fun ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 7,212 ClubWRX
    edited December 2005
    I'm so thrilled about this new ruling, I feel it will help my game tremendously. I used to worry whether the distance was 148 yards or 150 yards, should I hit a full 6 iron or a soft 5 iron, but now with the technology of the range finder, and it becoming legall, I've finally laid that all to rest now. Either it's a full 6 iron or a soft 5 iron. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    1 Club -- Adjustable
    1 Ball -- Very Long
  • larslars Advanced Members Posts: 272
    Johnny wrote on Dec 18 2005, 02:18 PM:

are the bushnell rangefinders w/ slope illegal? I wasnt aware that they were not allowed.
    yes slope is a no-no for 2006

• easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a Ho Rules Official Posts: 12,159 mod
    lars wrote on Dec 18 2005, 07:17 PM:

Johnny wrote on Dec 18 2005, 02:18 PM:

are the bushnell rangefinders w/ slope illegal? I wasnt aware that they were not allowed.

If this is true then Bushnell should call this out on their site in bold print. I was on it last week looking around for a Christmas gift and they had nothing mentioning that. All legal and green lights looking around there.
    edited December 2005
    The Committee may, by Local Rule, permit the use of devices that measure distance only (i.e., the device may not be used to measure other conditions such as wind-speed or the slope of the ground). (Decision 14-3/0.5)

14-3/0.5 Local Rule Permitting Use of Distance-Measuring Device

Q. May a Committee, by Local Rule, permit the use of distance-measuring devices?

A. Yes. A Committee may establish a Local Rule allowing players to use devices that measure distance only. However, the use of devices that gauge or measure other conditions that might affect a player’s play (e.g., wind or gradient) is not permitted. In the absence of such a Local Rule, the use of a distance-measuring device would be contrary to Rule 14-3. (New)

NOW I am 100% sure.. slope is no good I bolded the part you need to know. I agree all BUSHNELL should make that very clear on their website.

• ramsey_steveramsey_steve Advanced Members Posts: 255
    Bought the Nikon 500g earlier this year, but don't use it much on my home course. Great when playing somewhere unfamiliar. Much quicker than searching around for sprinkler heads.
  • the_krulatzthe_krulatz Advanced Members Posts: 526
    No, I don't think I'll be using a range finder. If the golf course is anything of decent condition, it should be fairly well marked. Besides, as a lot of other people mentioned, I base a shot off the distanced walked as well as how it looks. When know purely the distance and rely solely on that, I think you forget about the other variables. So with that, I think I'll be staying away from the rangefinders.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist TS3 10.5 Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 9.2 x-flex---Titleist TS3 13.5 Aldila NV 95 x-flex---Titleist TS3 18.0 Fujikura Fit-On Pro 95 x-flex---Titleist 718 AP2 #3 Project X 7.0
    Titleist 718 AP2 #5-#9 Project X 7.0---Vokey SM7 46.10 F Grind Project X 7.0---Vokey SM7 52.12 F Grind Project X 7.0---Vokey SM7 56.10 S Grind Project X 7.0---Vokey SM7 60.04 L Grind Project X 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport II---Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5---Scotty Cameron Tour Newport 2.5 350g. welded neck---Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Concept 2.0---Titleist ProV1x[/font]
  • larslars Advanced Members Posts: 272
    I currently have one and use it pretty much to double check marked yardages in practice rounds, and at my home course when I am dialing in 100 and in play. i may carry one in competition, but not sure how much it will be used.
  • oldpalchampoldpalchamp Advanced Members Posts: 1,201 ✭✭
    I will probably get a sky caddie or some other GPS device, not so much for yardage to the green, but for the yardage to any hazards off the tee. That's where I think these devices become valuable. Almost every course is well marked to the center of the green, but how many are marked for distance off the tee to a fairway bunker, or a pond? I think this ruling by the USGA could be huge.
  • JuiceManJuiceMan Members Posts: 34
    What about the use of a Sky Caddie? image/cool.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
  • Cameron Circle TCameron Circle T The Doc Junior Mod Squad Posts: 2,210
    No I won't be using one, you have to keep in mind this allows for a local rule to allow the use of these such measuring devices (I do use bushnells in practice rounds to draw out yardage books) however; after reading it appears as though any serious tournament will still follow strict usga rules and will therefore not permit the use of the range finder under said local rule. I know none of the usga sanctioned amateur events, or anything along those lines will permit it and neither will any of the college tournaments, so do keep in mind that the local rule must be in effect for it to even be considered a thought as to whether or not you will use one. For this reason I wont be using a rangefinder during competition. Just remember everyone check b4 you use them bc it is a local rule.
  • gslabbertgslabbert Senior Tour Hack !! Members Posts: 364
    I have both the skycaddie and a Bushnell range finder. I like the skyCaddie if the course is charted properly, but I still have to do some work with it. I found that the course I went to Senior Euro Q-School this was not available on the Skycaddie so it was of no help during my practice round. Also the Skycaddie once you have bought your unit you have to pay each year to renew your service and download courses. There are competing devices to Skycaddie. When I went to play Pebble Beach, my Skycaddie was no use to me as I could not get the map from Skygolf as they were not contracted with Pebble to provide the course map even though they had one. Pebble had a different GPS system that they wanted me to use at their own special fee. Now that the GPS systems are legal you are going to see this more and more, it becomes a revenue point for golf courses.

The Bushnell rangefinder (Non slope unit which is illegal) is much easier to use but you can pick up the trees behind the flag, or something it sees that you dont see, then your yardages are off. I had a 40 yard shot to a tucked pin once in a tournament (Tightlies allowed yardage devices) and the range finder gave me 65 yards, So I hit it 65 and landed in the lake behind the flag. Not good.

In the USA most of the newer courses have very good yardages, I have found the older courses, quite a few of the private courses, have few markers or only 100, 150, 200 in the middle of the fairway. Many are starting to rely on the GPS system on the cart. You watch in the next 10 years very few new courses will have yardage markers, especially with courses catering more to the recreational golfer and making golf carts mandatory. In my part of Florida is is becoming increasingly difficult to play a course and be allowed to walk. Pace of play is one problem, and the income courses are making off the cart fees is another. $30 for 2 people to rent a cart for 18 holes, I can rent a car with unlimited mileage through Hertz for less.

In Portugal I found the there were very few yardage markers on the courses, but the players there are accustomed to walking so the hustle around the course and finding the yardages does not slow down play.

In South Africa the course I belonged to (Port Elizabeth Golf Club) added yardage markers to the sprinklers by attaching aluminum plates to the sprinklers, only to find that inside a month they had been stolen and apparently sold for the value of the metal.

Sorry about being long winded, but will I use a range finder, absolutely yes, besides it does speed up play. by about 10 minutes per side, according to stats.

Happy new year
  • animalisticanimalistic 7th Hole Ballybunion !! Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,235
    no prefer to play the course by feel and factor in wind etc. in my mind
  • GooseGoose Junior Mod Squad Posts: 1,270 ✭✭
    il be getting the bushnell 1500 whatever so i can make yardage books in practice rounds for tourneys.

Dan "goose" image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2
  • bjacksonbjackson Win The Day Marshals Posts: 5,689 mod
    with slope is illegal, no slope is okay according to ?golf digest?--think thats where i heard it...
  • SCameron009SCameron009 ¡~WRX~! Advanced Members Posts: 1,783 ✭✭
    Goose wrote on Jan 1 2006, 06&#58;06 PM:

il be getting the bushnell 1500 whatever so i can make yardage books in practice rounds for tourneys.

Dan "goose" image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Same here Goose! I think it will help a ton during practice rounds.
  • GooseGoose Junior Mod Squad Posts: 1,270 ✭✭
    bjackson wrote on Jan 1 2006, 07&#58;02 PM:

with slope is illegal, no slope is okay according to ?golf digest?--think thats where i heard it...

Doesnt matter for me slope or no slope bc in tourneys they strill wont be allowed...id only be using it for practice rounds.

DaN "goose" image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2
  • golf9596golf9596 Advanced Members Posts: 2,068 ✭✭
    I have been using a Bushnell for the past two seasons during practice rounds. Now that they are legal I will use them when ever I'm allowed, just to confirm what I am seeing. I found that my calculations and the Bushnells readings were only a yard or two different( I'm not that good to notice a big advantage). I think the range finders biggest advantage is in determining the yardage to hazards and total carry distances.
    Driver M6 w/IZ-7-S
    3 Wood M6 Project-X 75-S
    TM #3 GRAP Mid with/KBS Hybrid-S
    Callaway Apex 2019 5-AW w/$-tapper-S
    Putter.....Bettinardi bb1F Limited
    Mac Daddy PM...54*/.57*
    Jones Original
    Pro V 1 (2017)
  • mljones99mljones99 Advanced Members Posts: 1,841
    Yes. I plan on placing a PUD order for a Pinseeker 1500 next week. Our local rep says Bushnell is 2-4 weeks behind on production due to the demand since they are legal.
  • progolferchprogolferch Advanced Members Posts: 498 ✭✭
    I for the most part will not use one. The only time that the possibility might be is during practice rounds for a tourney. Some of the caddies of tour pros do that so I guess that it will be alright to some extent for me.
  • RiuzziRiuzzi Kwok'd! Marshals Posts: 2,766
    I wanna get a Nikon 500g. I don't know how much I'll use it on my home course, but like others have said, it's a definite advantage when playing on new and unfamiliar courses.
  • nikkthestikknikkthestikk Members Posts: 57
    I have used both the Bushnel YTP and the Skycaddie, and the Skycaddie is much more convenient. Skycaddie also plays to the "I go by sight" crowd, as you can reference it at a glance, and then concentrate your efforts on evaluating what you see.

I had many more instances with the Rangefinder where I set it down and started to doubt what I had measured.

The idea should be to give more accurate yardage to the player without taking more time. I am starting a collection of water balls in my bag to throw at people who cant put down their rangefinders long enough to play golf.

I will not play a new course without one or the other... If the rules permit...
  • sync71sync71 Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,534
    I don't plan on buying a rangefinger at this point in time I might in time though. I would probably forget to use it most of the time.
  • lidomkjlidomkj Advanced Members Posts: 457
    always used one even though they were not legal. I only use it for new courses or the first couple of times. On my regular course, I already know the yardage and where I typically hit from and do not need it.

Most of the time it is in the bag, but pulled out when play is slow (can check out some of the hot cart girls from a distance!)
  • ultra45ultra45 Advanced Members Posts: 568 ✭✭
    I actually emailed the rcga last night about the ruling on range finders and have not had an answer yet. It says the range finder can be used for distance only. The pinseeker 1500 with slope takes the elevation change into account to give you a more accurate distance. In the rule, gradient may have to do with the slope of the ground you are hitting from, which will also affect club selection.
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Guests Posts: 0
    The Bushnell Pinseeker is great. Many happy customers. The 1500 w/slope is illegal for play, but I use it for practice.

We have 4 in stock right now at Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 w/Slope . Use coupon code golfwrx07 for an additional 7% off. Shipping included.

They will not be available again until March as the demand is so high. Thanks.
  • bantam  bantam Advanced Members Posts: 242
    I am confused. The Bushnell website seems to indicate even the one with slope is legal. Does anyone know for sure? I also read the golf magazine that says they are illegal. One of my friends says it is not so.
  • tylerbrowder8-4tylerbrowder8-4 Members Posts: 1,186
    i think they are making golf too easy

this is spost to be the the hardest sport in the world
  • YooperYooper Members Posts: 91
    Making golf to easy....lmao. If you don't put in your time practicing a rangefinder isn't going to do you any good!!!! I have played with a bushnell yardage pro for almost 3 years now. The benefits of having a rangefinder are many. The biggest benefit to me is having one for practice sessions. My rangefinder has really helped me dial in my distances in my short game(100yds and in). Another great benefit is if you hit your drive a mile right or left. I know I'm not suppose to be over there but hey.. bad swings happen. With in seconds I will know the distance to the flag and all the guess work will be gone. Saves a bunch of time too....no need to sit there and walk everything out. Pro golfers have had this advantage on us for years. Almost all pro caddies use rangefinders in practice rounds to get the distances right so I don't see why you wouldn't want to have one to do the same. I believe having a rangefinder has helped my game more then any new driver or iron that I have ever bought....period!!!
  • pitbull808pitbull808 Putter Hoarder Marshals Posts: 9,367 mod
    Yooper wrote on Feb 12 2006, 08&#58;27 PM:

Making golf to easy....lmao. If you don't put in your time practicing a rangefinder isn't going to do you any good!!!! I have played with a bushnell yardage pro for almost 3 years now. The benefits of having a rangefinder are many. The biggest benefit to me is having one for practice sessions. My rangefinder has really helped me dial in my distances in my short game(100yds and in). Another great benefit is if you hit your drive a mile right or left. I know I'm not suppose to be over there but hey.. bad swings happen. With in seconds I will know the distance to the flag and all the guess work will be gone. Saves a bunch of time too....no need to sit there and walk everything out. Pro golfers have had this advantage on us for years. Almost all pro caddies use rangefinders in practice rounds to get the distances right so I don't see why you wouldn't want to have one to do the same. I believe having a rangefinder has helped my game more then any new driver or iron that I have ever bought....period!!!

I totally agree. What's the difference if you look at a yardage marker and see it's 150 yards to the green and if you use a rangefinder and it says 153 yards. You still have to hit the shot. The rangefinder just allows you to speed up your play and has nothing to do with the shot making.
  • tarragattarragat Members Posts: 8
    I'd probably use one. It will help me decide on whether to hit a thin 8-iron over the green or a fat 7-iron short of it!!

image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaAdvanced Members Posts: 2,555 ✭✭
    now that it's legal, if you have a rangefinder, you'd be crazy not to use it!!! my bushnell pinseeker 1500 slope is worth every penny. but remember, you still gotta hit the shot!!!!!!!!!!
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 105 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Pro V1
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Guests Posts: 0
    what is the best range finder in everyone's opinion? i am looking for one to use whne i go paly courses i havent played before

thanks
  • dtgolderdtgolder Members Posts: 196
    Been using one for 2 years now, and I wouldn't play without one.

Be considerate to your fellow players and get one. It speeds up everyone's play, and it makes the game more enjoyable IMHO.
  • Ben DavisBen Davis Members Posts: 25
    Just bought a sky caddie can't white till it come in image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • phil75070phil75070 Advanced Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    SkyGolf's SkyCaddie for me.
  • ixcafeixcafe Members Posts: 23
    edited March 2006
    I carry a simple optical rangefinder, and use it from time to time.

Knowing actual distance-to-pin boosts my confidence level, especially in rough,

I simply have one less thing to worry about.

Knowing actual distance-to-pin also gradually trains my sense of distance. So next time

I need lay it up, I can forget about rangefinder or landmarks, and solely rely on my instinct.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • cogi59cogi59 #makemorebirdies Advanced Members Posts: 571
    I'll defnitely be using the rangefinder from now on...they're allowing in NCAA play and it's much easier and faster
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 9.5* / Kuro Kage XT 60 TX
    Nike Vapor Fly 3HL 16* / Fuji Rombax P95 X
    Nike Vapor Fly Hybrid 20* / UST iRod 110F4
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW / KBS Tour S
    Nike Engage 51SQ 55SQ 60TS / KBS Tour Wedge
    Nike Method RORS 006 Prototype 34"