Now that it's legal, Going to use a rangefinder?

Comments

• Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    My wife got me a Skycaddie for our anniversary about 10 days ago. I've played a few rounds with it, all on courses that they have mapped. So far, I really like it. I guess it would be nice to know exactly how far the pin is, but for me, the front, back, and middle are good enough. I'm playing at elevation, with wind, and up and down hills, I can't say for sure how far to the yard I carry my irons. I also like the yards to carry bunkers, hills, trees, etc. Alot of the courses here in this state have been mapped, and I guess my home course was only mapped about 3 or 4 weeks ago. The yardages they give are almost always within one, occasionally two yards from what our couse has on the sprinkler heads, so they seem pretty accurate to me.

I can see where I could be at a disadvantage to elevated greens on a course I've never played, but for my home course and 95% of the time on courses I haven't played, I can pretty much figure out where the pin is.

I definately would say that I hit shots closer to the hole than I would have without it in the rounds I have played. And I feel more confident with my approaches, not just knowing pretty much the yardage to the pin, but knowing how far it is say to the back of the green, or to carry a bunker. The perfect example is with a back pin, knowing the yardage to go over the green, and playing say for a couple of yards short of the pin and feeling pretty confident that I won't go over the green no matter how flush I hit the shot.
    WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Srixon Z F85 15* HZRDUS 75 Yellow 6.0
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z945 5-PW Recoil Proto 95 F5
    Cleveland RTX4 50 Mid Recoil 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
    Callaway MD 4 60/12 W Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Never Compromise Dinero  Baron 
    Srixon Z Star
  • The Boom BappThe Boom Bapp Quick Tips are like Poisenous darts! Members Posts: 1,392
    As soon as I can find one that is somewhat affordable, yes.

I am planning on using one.

There are many courses that lack when it comes to keeping their yardages accurate or easily found.
    Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
    Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
    Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
    Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
    Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
    Titleist Prov1x
  • smarshal75smarshal75 Members Posts: 583
    WTF? I just read about the technology used in these rangefinder units. What is next a laser guided "smart" ball? I will definitely not be using a range finder. Some things should just not be allowed in golf.
  • FurrankeeFurrankee Banned Posts: 994
    Are rangefinders with slope still considered illegal?

I already know that rangefinders without slope can be used in tournament play now.
  • MiloMilo ClubWRX Posts: 1,635
    Already have a Leica rangefinder for rifle shooting but I would never use one on the golf course.
  • AirTime23AirTime23 Members Posts: 521
    I've been using rangefinders for the last 4 years now and personally think they're great. Exspecially when playing an unknown course. I also found that it speeds up play significantly, if used properly. My current unit has slope so I can't use it in tourneys but I use my own yardage book anyways (created using a rangefinder of course).

However you find me a little confused. First of all the use of rangefinders was never forbidden at all unless you're playing a tournament or EDS round of course. As of Jan 1st they're allowed in tournament rounds IF the local comittee says so via a local rule. As of today I have yet to encounter a course which has such a local rule. As I'm living in Germany I wouldn't consider this fact overly impressive, as most clubs over here probably haven't even noticed the opportunity. But I'm curious what the quota is in other countries, how many say yes vs. no?
  • ceksceks Members Posts: 126
    is it worth the extra $$$ to get the bushnell 1500 with slope or should i just get the bushnell 1500 tournament edition?
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members Posts: 6,800
    edited Dec 17, 2006 #69
    ceks wrote on Dec 17 2006, 12:13 AM:

is it worth the extra $$$ to get the bushnell 1500 with slope or should i just get the bushnell 1500 tournament edition?

If you are thinking about tournament play,

there is a reason they call it the tournament edition.

Because it's legal.

(The slope is not legal - as to it's worth, it may help train you to judge slope - so when you don't have it with you during a hc round or tourney, you can take an educated guess)
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
    The Boom Bapp wrote on Sep 15 2006, 06:20 AM:

As soon as I can find one that is somewhat affordable, yes.

I am planning on using one.

There are many courses that lack when it comes to keeping their yardages accurate or easily found.

I've seen the new edition of the Nikon 500g model 8351, and with the new scan feature - just keep the button pressed to get different yardages while you scan, I've seen it for abour $260 on the web. Compact and water resistant

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • viking76022viking76022 Members Posts: 29
    Just go a SG4.
  • EzgolferEzgolfer Members Posts: 3,163 ✭✭
    Just bought Nikon 500G ,

Smaller size than 1500 and cheaper.
  • unclepgaunclepga Members Posts: 130
    definatley going to use one now. If anything it helps when i practice to learn my distances with my wedges and become more accurate from 100 yards in.
  • tanjtanj Jr. Boomers Posts: 664
    Can I just ask, are there any models from any respectable companies that measure in METRES? Because I'd be interested in using one from practice.

Just out of interest, are these rangefinders only allowed under USGA or are they also legal in R&A rules?

Josh
  • ShaitanShaitan Jr. Boomers Posts: 2,056
    edited Jan 24, 2007 #75
    Its pretty easy to change from yrds to metres Josh.

Divide the yrds by 1.09 cos 3ft is a yrd.

100cm = 1m.

If an inch is 2.55cm, then there is 91.8cm to a yrd.

100/91.8 = roughly 1.089 or 1.1 for a very rough estimate.

Therefore 150 yrds = roughly 137m. image/crazy2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> lol

Brodie
    tanj wrote on Jan 24 2007, 03:50 AM:

Can I just ask, are there any models from any respectable companies that measure in METRES? Because I'd be interested in using one from practice.

Just out of interest, are these rangefinders only allowed under USGA or are they also legal in R&A rules?

Josh

Yes, the Leica Pinmaster changes from yards to meters

I own that one, so I know it does. It is available on ebay -- or was -- under a "make a bid" bidding -- from an authorized retailer in NYC. My bid was $340 - less than a Pinseeker and the Leica has target first priority and red LCDs - it works well for me.

You might check the websites of the other two -- Nikon and Pinseeker -- I would think they would convert between the two like the Leica.

• jimmyjamesjimmyjames Members Posts: 1,056 ✭✭
    I guess I would use one when I practice, but yardage books seem to do the same thing?
    M2 Speeder 63 Tour Spec
    Idea Pro 18* and 23*
    TaylorMade MC 4-PW
    Milled Grind 52* and 58*
    Spider Tour Black
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,343 ✭✭
    I have one and it is very helpful.
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • JoeFJoeF Members Posts: 872
    edited Jan 29, 2007 #79
    tanj wrote on Jan 24 2007, 03:50 AM:

Josh

The Pinseeker 1500 is switchable between yards and meters

http://www.bushnell.com/customer_service/m...2_Pinseeker.pdf
  • TMBobTMBob Members Posts: 5,373 ✭✭
    I messed with one and sorta had fun doing so.........I think there great but I don't own one.

To a few of you who think it's "not good for the game".....get a clue. I play plenty of course that the tell you of your distances all over the fairways on sprinkler heads.....front, middle, and back every five yards or so. Then on some course the sprinkler heads are to hard to find with little info.

My point is that there are plenty of course that give tons of info..should this not be allowed also? Is it "bad for the game"? Or maybe you would like to wait longer on the tee because some guys are walking around the whole fairway looking for a sprinkler head while they could have just walked to their ball, shoot the distance and play the shot? Your beef is "weak" to say the least!

My only beef about range finders are this.............80% of your shots still come up SHORT no matter what the yardage says and how ever you got it.....Now if they only made a range finder that would be off by 10 yards so one would take an extra club, then some handicaps might drop. Bottom line, they are a fun toy!

TMBOB
  • tpgrrr1tpgrrr1 Members Posts: 345 ✭✭
    Range finders help speed up play. Plus they give you the distance to the pin, not the middle of the green.

image/secret.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Callaway Rogue 10.5° HZRDUS 6.0 63g
    Callaway Rogue Fwy 13.5°, 17° HZRDUS 6.0 76g
    TaylorMade M4 Hyb 19°, 22° 4/1/19
    Mizuno MP-18 5-pw kbs C-Taper Lite S 10/04/18
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 2

3/7/19
    TaylorMade Mill Grind 50° 07/17/18, TaylorMade Mill Grind 58° 07/17/18
    Titleist ProV1x Grips Golf Pride Tour Velvet Sure Tack midsize
    Callaway Epic Star

staff bag
    Titleist Players 4 stand bag
    Jan Craig headcovers
    Adidas Tour 360 Boost 2.0
  • TXGOLFJUNKIETXGOLFJUNKIE Members Posts: 215 ✭✭
    Got this ruling from the USGA-Director of Regional Affiars-Central Region:

Although permitted if a local rule is adopted, a significant number of golf associations have chosen to NOT permit the use of distance measuring devices. The majority view is that at high level competition, players already have access to sufficient distance information through other means (caddies, yardage books, etc.) and that the devices would be counterproductive in improving pace of play. A few associations that allowed the devices in 2006 have changed their policies and now ban them for just that reason.

The USGA does not allow their use in USGA Championships or qualifying. However, we are officially neutral as to allowing their use by other groups. I would estimate that the use of these devices is allowed in 30% or less of events conducted at the regional or state level. The individual golfer should check with the sponsoring organization in advance in regards to their policy.

I hope this helps with your decision.

Regards.
  • johnjjohnj My heroes have always been cowboys. Members Posts: 241
    Got this ruling from the USGA-Director of Regional Affiars-Central Region:

Although permitted if a local rule is adopted, a significant number of golf associations have chosen to NOT permit the use of distance measuring devices. The majority view is that at high level competition, players already have access to sufficient distance information through other means (caddies, yardage books, etc.) and that the devices would be counterproductive in improving pace of play. A few associations that allowed the devices in 2006 have changed their policies and now ban them for just that reason.

The USGA does not allow their use in USGA Championships or qualifying. However, we are officially neutral as to allowing their use by other groups. I would estimate that the use of these devices is allowed in 30% or less of events conducted at the regional or state level. The individual golfer should check with the sponsoring organization in advance in regards to their policy.

Thanks for posting that info...As far as the poll goes...I know I'm a luddite (grab a dictionary image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> ) but if you ever see me grabbing a yadage by using one...grab my 5812 out of my bag, it's got the highest swingweight, and knock me a good one...my grandfather would have. Technology is awesome but visually estimating yardages based on landmarks, terrain features, etc. even the local yardage book speaks to the spirit of the game. Before anyone piles on know that if the rules allow it I am not against it for you...I just don't embrace it, and yes if you do and you v me you should have an advantage...if you can hit that shot...J
  • cdesanacdesana Members Posts: 723
    I find my hand is not steady enough to get the yardage fast enough to help speed up play. So i will stay old school and walk it off.

The one thing that drives me crazy is that when you play a high end course they do not have a yardage book available.
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,854 ✭✭
    I know a group of golfnuts ( just under 100 members ), that has about 15 statewide tournaments a year plus out of the country golf trip tournaments yearly. 80% of them have a range finder ( mostly Bushnell Pin seeker ); with or without the slope rating.

Now we all know the slope function is not legal in tournament play, but quite a few of them has this function on their range finder.

For me, it really does not matter if I look at a shot 20yards higher and 150 ish to the pin with 8-10 miles head wind vs. OK it's 147 yards EXACTLY, with the slope it plays like 161 yards EAXACTLY with your perfect swing is a 7 iron, the perfect swing which I might have left at the practice range.

Most the golf course have yardage markers and it really does not need to know the exact yardage to the pin. The approximate yardage to the front and the back of the green is more important than the exact yardage to the pin for me. Does it really matters that much for most of the golfers to know the exact yardage to certqain target? This information would not help a pro all the time, not to an average golfer, for certain.

A good golf course will also have a yardage book available. In my opinion, the yardage book will help me more than the range finder or GPS device loaded on the golf cart.

The effort to take out, find target through the view finder and put it back after usage, would probably constitute about the same time as I estimate distance with the eyeballing the elevation and feel for the wind element.

This may not be popular, but I'm an old scholl on this subject.
  • Smooth spin scottSmooth spin scott Members Posts: 1,174 ✭✭
    I personally decided to stay within the rules and not buy the slope..but to each his own. I find it faster to get a measurement to the flag. My routine is the following:

1) check flag for color (blue - back, red - front etc)

2) Laser to pin.

3) If pin is 160 to Blue flag I know i can play less club if need be. Front flag, same philosophy (front flag distance, so ok if i am a little long).

I can't imagine going back to pacing yardages off, this saves me time and frustration of knowing exactly the yardages I need to get to.
    Driver - M2
    3 wood - 915f
    Hybrids - Titleist 915 3/4
    Irons - Mizuno MP18 MMC / Modus3 120 stiff.
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 - 51, 56, 60
    Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
    Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club
  • craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,062 ✭✭
    I will wait until we get the same ruling over here in the UK then I imagine I will get one
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    5 Wood = Taylormade Burner

Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

= Taylormade 64* Hi-Toe
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • jaycajunjaycajun Members Posts: 347
    With golf being so slow, why NOT use one? 100% of the time I walk to my ball, shoot the pin, make a club selection before the other guys have even finished pacing off the distance and I am alway walking vs them riding in a car. Anything for faster golf has to be good for the game that I love but frustrates me because its so SLOW....
  • OldSkoolTexanOldSkoolTexan BORN TO PLAY BALATA! Members Posts: 2,758 ✭✭
    animalistic wrote on Jan 1 2006, 05:03 PM:
    no prefer to play the course by feel and factor in wind etc. in my mind

+1, old skoool
  • sleepy_augustosleepy_augusto Members Posts: 942
    jaycajun wrote on Nov 26 2008, 10:28 AM:
    With golf being so slow, why NOT use one? 100% of the time I walk to my ball, shoot the pin, make a club selection before the other guys have even finished pacing off the distance and I am alway walking vs them riding in a car. Anything for faster golf has to be good for the game that I love but frustrates me because its so SLOW....

+1
  • raprieberapriebe Members Posts: 348
    edited Dec 31, 2008 #91
    Here's my take on it. You can talk "old school" all you want, but nobody who plays at a high level plays old school. They all have yardage books... and guess where the numbers in those books came from? The best laser rangefinders money can buy, of course. What do you think that those players' caddies are doing in the days before the tournament starts? They are out walking the course with a rangefinder... measuring every feature that could possible come into play, then noting those numbers in the book. They may only be using the book during competition, but those numbers were established by the liberal application of sophisticated electronics.

Electronic devices are allowed for rounds played for handicap submission, they are allowed for my club tournaments, and I have yet to talk to anyone who belongs to a club where they aren't allowed. My understanding on the requirement for a local rule is that the USGA wanted to legalize them completely and require a LR to disallow them, but the R & A wanted them to be completely illegal, so the compromise was the current local rule. I expect to see more movement on this in future rules revisions.

I've been using a laser for 2 seasons now. First a Nikon 440, which was only just barely satisfactory, then this spring I bought a Bushnell Tour V2 with Pinseeker and that is so far ahead of the Nikon that there isn't even any comparison. I love my V2. Now I've ordered a GolfLogix GPS to supplement the laser and to use when the precise distance isn't required, and I plan to carry both.