Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

New thread. Playing Pheasant Run in Canton tomorrow morning, haven't got out there yet this year, should be a beautiful day for golf. Anyone got a recent course report?

Played Orchards and Glacier Club last week. Orchards was in beautiful condition, Glacier is still doing some construction throughout the neighborhood which kills some of the aesthetics, but still enjoy the course for the challenging greens.

...Glacier ..., but still enjoy the course for the challenging greens.

I played at Glacier Club within the last 2 weeks. It was almost laughable how "putting challenged" I was. Whatever turf version they have on the greens was totally messing with my game. I never felt comfortable over any length putt. Now, I am hardly a virtuoso at putting, but I always felt I was pretty competent. Maybe if I played there a dozen times I would get the hang of it but I doubt it.

Let me know what you think anout Pheasant Run.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Played Washtenaw Golf Club (formerly Washtenaw Country Club and Polo Fields - Washtenaw). Great conditions. Pace of play is superb.

Played it earlier in the year. Was in good shape then, too. Staff inside the restaurant were a little rude, but course was pretty fun.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Anyone played Dunham Hills in the past 2 weeks? Some third hand reports are that the course has a few maintenance issues that are not being addressed. Our group is playing there this month. It could be just the dry weather and a willingness on the part of the course to allow a bit of "brown". Still, it was also said that the greens were a bit ragged and that is not a good thing.

Played Washtenaw Golf Club (formerly Washtenaw Country Club and Polo Fields - Washtenaw). Great conditions. Pace of play is superb.

So it worth it to play? Just from driving by it, it looks like an old school course. I will be visiting the area in a couple weeks and it is near where my mom now lives. I never played there because there because it was private and there were other private courses I wanted to play ahead of it.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

So it worth it to play? Just from driving by it, it looks like an old school course. I will be visiting the area in a couple weeks and it is near where my mom now lives. I never played there because there because it was private and there were other private courses I wanted to play ahead of it.

It is an old school course. Total yardage is not long (6,564 tips, 72.3/137) but one must be able to hit it straight. Greens are quick and tricky. No housing on the course. The range/practice area is not particularly expansive but it is adequate. I think the cost is a touch high ($40 midweek for 18 and cart) but typically a bit of searching will yield discounted rounds for around $22.50, which makes it a bargain. In all my visits the course was uncrowded and pace was great.

www.washtenawgolfclub.com

If you knew someone with a University of Michigan affiliation, my #1 recommendation is the U of M course. But Washtenaw is a very playable, fun course.

It's not hard to get on the U of M course. I liked it, but out of the 80 courses I have played in Michigan I am not sure it cracks the top 10.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

It is an old school course. Total yardage is not long (6,564 tips, 72.3/137) but one must be able to hit it straight. Greens are quick and tricky. No housing on the course. The range/practice area is not particularly expansive but it is adequate. I think the cost is a touch high ($40 midweek for 18 and cart) but typically a bit of searching will yield discounted rounds for around $22.50, which makes it a bargain. In all my visits the course was uncrowded and pace was great.

www.washtenawgolfclub.com

If you knew someone with a University of Michigan affiliation, my #1 recommendation is the U of M course. But Washtenaw is a very playable, fun course.

Thanks for the info. The club I belong to is tight, tree lined, and OB on every hole. Here in the Atlanta area, $40 for a round is cheap. If I could set a schedule, I would have my pro get me a tee time at Travis Pointe.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Anyone played Dunham Hills in the past 2 weeks? Some third hand reports are that the course has a few maintenance issues that are not being addressed. Our group is playing there this month. It could be just the dry weather and a willingness on the part of the course to allow a bit of "brown". Still, it was also said that the greens were a bit ragged and that is not a good thing.

Their website has been down since early May. How the heck does one run a public golf course without a website?

Let me know what you think anout Pheasant Run.

I work out at Pheasant in the pro shop, the course is in good shape. Greens late in the day can get a little soft but overall I enjoy the course and think all 3 nines are a fun challenge.

Course was in good shape overall. Shows signs of a healthy amount of play, but that's to be expected. Staff was great, practice areas are fine as well.

Played twin lakes today near Rochester. Pace was terrible for a Friday afternoon, no ranger of course. Many tee boxes pretty sloppy, we did get a BIT of rain, but surprisingly wet. Greens were in good shape generally and running a bit quick on 1-9, bit slower on 10-18. Didn't play 19-27. Not sure if I'll get out over holiday weekend, but may head out to the Jackson area and play Pierce Lake or the Grande.

Played twin lakes today near Rochester. Pace was terrible for a Friday afternoon, no ranger of course. Many tee boxes pretty sloppy, we did get a BIT of rain, but surprisingly wet. Greens were in good shape generally and running a bit quick on 1-9, bit slower on 10-18. Didn't play 19-27. Not sure if I'll get out over holiday weekend, but may head out to the Jackson area and play Pierce Lake or the Grande.

I play there in my weekly Thursday league and it was pretty sloppy this last week. I saw sprinklers running on a few holes just 30 minutes before we played them. They must be doing a lot of mid day watering.

Pheasant run is a decent track with the exception of a few holes. They could redo that place and make it great. Greens are pretty slow.

It's hard to go wrong playing Moose Ridge in South Lyon. Great layout and challenging. If they didn't have so much play and increased the green speeds it could be one of the best in southern Michigan.

I play U of M and Radrick Farms quite a bit. I don't want to sound too negative but U of M course is ridiculously overrated. Wonderfully manicured but it's just not that fun. The greens are soooooo slow it's just not fun. When Radrick speeds up their greens, which they do sometimes to 10 or 11, it is great (yeah I'm a fan of fast greens, it makes the course).

Leslie Park and Pierce Lake in Chelsea are decent public tracks with good prices. Pierce lake has a lot of potential.

The most enjoyable course around (I guess I'm referring to Ann Arbor area) is probably Eagle Crest in Ypsilante. Good track if you've never played it.

• Like 1

Pheasant run is a decent track with the exception of a few holes. They could redo that place and make it great. Greens are pretty slow.

It's hard to go wrong playing Moose Ridge in South Lyon. Great layout and challenging. If they didn't have so much play and increased the green speeds it could be one of the best in southern Michigan.

I play U of M and Radrick Farms quite a bit. I don't want to sound too negative but U of M course is ridiculously overrated. Wonderfully manicured but it's just not that fun. The greens are soooooo slow it's just not fun. When Radrick speeds up their greens, which they do sometimes to 10 or 11, it is great (yeah I'm a fan of fast greens, it makes the course).

Leslie Park and Pierce Lake in Chelsea are decent public tracks with good prices. Pierce lake has a lot of potential.

The most enjoyable course around (I guess I'm referring to Ann Arbor area) is probably Eagle Crest in Ypsilante. Good track if you've never played it.

Washtenaw is public now too

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Supposedly BillyZ asked for it to be closed, but I have no idea why.

Frankly, it didn't seem like many were interested in it. Because I started it, I felt a sense of responsibility for it. I didn't think anybody wanted it, so I closed it. Glad you started another.

I may not have posted in it a ton, but I always enjoyed checking in on it to see some of the goings-on of local people. One of the reasons I enjoy WRX is this thread and the Michigan golfers thread.

I played Captains Club earlier this week and it is rough shape. Some of the tees are burnt right down to dirt and some of the greens are burnt on the peaks of the undulations. I would think they could do a better job of watering some of the more urgent spots because their fairways seem to be in decent shape and watered. Around some of the greens it is in bad shape as well. It's almost like they gave up on some of the specific spots I mentioned. we may be going through a dry spell as far as rain but I haven't seen any other courses with similar problems to the extent they have.

Played Polo Fields (Ann Arbor) this week. It was not my first visit but I only play there about 1-2 times a year so my knowledge of the routing is spotty. Nice conditioning although the lack of rain is starting to show in the unwatered areas. I did not recall the greens as having quite so many knobs and swales. Putting was an adventure until I got my pace and aim calibrated. The greens were hard to hold for this old guy with limited spin in his bag.

Maybe the guys in my group were straighter off the tee than I might have predicted but no one visited anyone's backyard. I did see a guy bang a ball off the power tower and had to remind him he was required to re-hit (no penalty).

• Like 1

Getting out to Eagle's Crest tomorrow on the LessonOnGolf deal. Hope the pace isn't too bad and the weather holds off.

Weather held off for my round at Eagle's Crest. Greens were pretty quick, but not consistent in my or my groups opinion. Course was in good shape, they're doing some repairs on a lot of holes. Not a huge fan of 90* dogleg holes and there's a few of them. Nice to play on a lot of water in SE Mich though. Pace was great, they had rangers out there. It's a LessonOnGolf deal right now for $39 anytime weekday or >12 on weekend.