Metro Detroit Area Golfers

Comments

• Mikey5eMikey5e michMembers  1258WRX Points: 269Handicap: 15Posts: 1,258 Platinum Tees

On -, @1puttTUT said:

On -, @Mikey5e said:

On -, @1puttTUT said:

On -, @hybrid25 said:

On -, @CardsChamps11 said:

I'm coming to Detroit for three weeks in October for work and looking to play some golf. I always try to play the top ranked courses in the area when I travel. Can anyone recommend some courses I could play? Would love to play courses that the Tour plays or has played in the past. Thanks!

Well, The TPC of Michigan a The Dearborn Country Club are the two courses that the Tour has played at, but both are private. You would probably have to chum up with a member to play. A little bit north of Detroit is Indianwood GCC that is likewise private. A few non private notable mentions might include :
    Shepherd's Hollow Golf Club
    Greystone GC
    Fieldstone GC
    Pilgrims Run GC (north, but great)

Orchards, Westwynd, Moose Ridge (further SW, but still Metro Detroit)

I think MR is is a decent choice but not necessarily O's or Ww. They are considered by some to be a bit gimmicky (double green, difficult long 2nd shot over swamp, etc). Forest Dunes is a great choice if a golfer has some travel time.

To me, mentioning metro Detroit and forest Dunes in the same sentence is ridiculous.

No it isn't, "IF" a golfer has some travel time, as I mentioned in my op. Besides, I just mentioned it because it was previously mentioned. Actually, it would be a great day to spend if you had the travel time. Ww or O's, bah.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • larrybudlarrybud Rochester Hills, MIMembers  11591WRX Points: 477Handicap: 3.4Posts: 11,591 Titanium Tees

Just note that mid October you're going to be running into a bunch of courses which have been aerated.
    I would go for Orchards, as they aerate half the green at a time and put the pin in the good area, Shepherd's Hollow, and Lyon Oaks.
    I despise Westwynd, dumbest layout I've ever played.
    Also note that you will be battling the leaves in mid-october!

Posted:
  • 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game Members  3557WRX Points: 239Handicap: 3.8Posts: 3,557 Titanium Tees

On -, @Mikey5e said:

On -, @1puttTUT said:

On -, @Mikey5e said:

On -, @1puttTUT said:

On -, @hybrid25 said:

On -, @CardsChamps11 said:

I'm coming to Detroit for three weeks in October for work and looking to play some golf. I always try to play the top ranked courses in the area when I travel. Can anyone recommend some courses I could play? Would love to play courses that the Tour plays or has played in the past. Thanks!

Well, The TPC of Michigan a The Dearborn Country Club are the two courses that the Tour has played at, but both are private. You would probably have to chum up with a member to play. A little bit north of Detroit is Indianwood GCC that is likewise private. A few non private notable mentions might include :
    Shepherd's Hollow Golf Club
    Greystone GC
    Fieldstone GC
    Pilgrims Run GC (north, but great)

Orchards, Westwynd, Moose Ridge (further SW, but still Metro Detroit)

I think MR is is a decent choice but not necessarily O's or Ww. They are considered by some to be a bit gimmicky (double green, difficult long 2nd shot over swamp, etc). Forest Dunes is a great choice if a golfer has some travel time.

To me, mentioning metro Detroit and forest Dunes in the same sentence is ridiculous.

No it isn't, "IF" a golfer has some travel time, as I mentioned in my op. Besides, I just mentioned it because it was previously mentioned. Actually, it would be a great day to spend if you had the travel time. Ww or O's, bah.

Whatever bro

Posted:
    Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
    Cobra F8 16* w/ Aldila Blue 2KXVs
    Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
    Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Mizuno 919F 66-GW w/Nippon Modus3 105s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
    TP Mills Trad II roundneck
  • Mikey5eMikey5e michMembers  1258WRX Points: 269Handicap: 15Posts: 1,258 Platinum Tees

To wake things up a little, how successful has your 2019 golf season been? explanations welcome!

Posted:
  • 3_Jack_Par3_Jack_Par Winter is stupid Members, ClubWRX  6301WRX Points: 339Posts: 6,301 ClubWRX

On -, @Mikey5e said:

To wake things up a little, how successful has your 2019 golf season been? explanations welcome!

It's been a mixed bag. I started out horribly. I switched to an Epic Flash Subzero for the first few months of the year, based on great launch monitor numbers, but I couldn't keep it on the golf course. My handicap usually sits somewhere between 2 and just into plus territory, and I had two rounds in the 90s, including a Publinx tournament at the Orchards where I finished tied for DFL. I stuck with that driver for close to 20 rounds, because there were just enough of them where I thought I was getting the hang of it. I switched to a G410 LST, which has been significantly better most of the time.

The good:

• I won skins in two separate GAM events (worth about $550 total) -- the Mid Am and the GAM Four Ball with swiz
    • Finished in the top half of the field in the Mid-Am in tough conditions, while not having my best stuff off the tee
    • Handicap currently sits at +1.2, which is around the best I've ever been
    • Placed my order for a custom Byron Morgan putter

The bad:

• That 92 in the tournament at the Orchards
    • Hit 2 tee shots O.B. on the same hole in my Michigan AM qualifier. Without that and the double I made from the middle of the fairway on the previous hole, I would have gotten in
    • Played like hot garbage on my annual buddies trip in August
    • Finished several spots lower than I could have in two different one-day Publinx tournaments due to late round/last hole meltdowns
    • Publinx team barely missed the playoffs for the 2nd or 3rd straight year
    Posted:
    Ping G410 LST 9* (set to -1.5*), 44.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
    Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Aldila Synergy Tour Green 80TX
    Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) HZRDUS Black 85X (or Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x)
    Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
    Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200 (sometimes)
    Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34"
    WITB Link

On -, @3 Jack Par said:

On -, @Mikey5e said:

It's been a mixed bag. I started out horribly. I switched to an Epic Flash Subzero for the first few months of the year, based on great launch monitor numbers, but I couldn't keep it on the golf course. My handicap usually sits somewhere between 2 and just into plus territory, and I had two rounds in the 90s, including a Publinx tournament at the Orchards where I finished tied for DFL. I stuck with that driver for close to 20 rounds, because there were just enough of them where I thought I was getting the hang of it. I switched to a G410 LST, which has been significantly better most of the time.

The good:

• I won skins in two separate GAM events (worth about $550 total) -- the Mid Am and the GAM Four Ball with swiz
    • Finished in the top half of the field in the Mid-Am in tough conditions, while not having my best stuff off the tee
    • Handicap currently sits at +1.2, which is around the best I've ever been
    • Placed my order for a custom Byron Morgan putter

The bad:

• That 92 in the tournament at the Orchards
    • Hit 2 tee shots O.B. on the same hole in my Michigan AM qualifier. Without that and the double I made from the middle of the fairway on the previous hole, I would have gotten in
    • Played like hot garbage on my annual buddies trip in August
    • Finished several spots lower than I could have in two different one-day Publinx tournaments due to late round/last hole meltdowns
    • Publinx team barely missed the playoffs for the 2nd or 3rd straight year

Very interesting write up! I always find, no matter the level of golfer, that there are spells of great golf during the season and spells of poor golf that make you scratch your head and wonder why. I had about 3 weeks of just horrible driving by pull hooking the ball on most of my shots. I found my stance a bit too closed which forced the issue. I generally hit a straight to slight draw, but when you pull hook the ball it just destroys you're round. By opening my stance slightly I was able to gain control back and my driving one from disastrous to very good (For me anyways). One of my highlights this year was playing Pilgrim's Run on a beautiful summer day. Everybody in our group love the course.
    Hope the Byron works out for you, sounds like a great-looking piece!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • garytgaryt Members  335WRX Points: 76Handicap: 12Posts: 335 Greens

Any rec's for an instructor in the metro detroit area, preferably close to Warren/Sterling?

Posted:

Just looked at the weather forecast for the next couple of weeks or so and temps are going to stay in the mid-f
    40 to mid-30s. Question, who keeps playing golf or who puts their clubs away for the winter?

Posted:
  • MooMoo Members  542WRX Points: 203Handicap: 9Posts: 542 Golden Tee

On -, @Mikey5e said:

Just looked at the weather forecast for the next couple of weeks or so and temps are going to stay in the mid-f
    40 to mid-30s. Question, who keeps playing golf or who puts their clubs away for the winter?

Playing tomorrow. 48-50 with a wind chill to 41...no problem. I have to golf, as it's been six days without and my macho has fallen from it's normal 115% to below 90%.

I will golf and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

Posted:
    Driver TS2 (first driver in 9 years that could out the trusty 910 D2)
    Ping i3+ Blades (backup set Mizuno MP 54 P-4 which are now in cold storage until the end of time)
    Rogue 3 wood with Evenflow Blue (so easy to hit high and long...Evenflow rules!)
    Rogue 5 wood with Evenflow Blue
    Titleist 915 F 7 wood (the incredible Hedgehog...there is no turf that can stop the Hedgehog!)
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0
    Bridgestone B XS the ONLY ball I'll play.  It's sticky, like a sticky bun!
  • gripandripgripandrip Members  1184WRX Points: 209Posts: 1,184 Platinum Tees

On -, @Mikey5e said:

Played today. Course was basically empty. Started at 12:30 were done a little after 3. No issues. Just need to dress for it. Course was a little wet, but all in all, a very nice afternoon for golf.

Posted:

Got in 31 holes yesterday and 27 today. The nice thing is these were fast rounds, as there were maybe a dozen or so people on the course. The 3 of us played the first 18 in 2 hours 41 minutes today and rammed the last 9 in at 1 hour 19.

Posted:
    Ping i3+ Blades (backup set Mizuno MP 54 P-4 which are now in cold storage until the end of time)
    Rogue 3 wood with Evenflow Blue (so easy to hit high and long...Evenflow rules!)
    Titleist 915 F 7 wood (the incredible Hedgehog...there is no turf that can stop the Hedgehog!)
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0

Advertisement
  • 3_Jack_Par3_Jack_Par Winter is stupid Members, ClubWRX  6301WRX Points: 339Posts: 6,301 ClubWRX

I'll play generally as long as there isn't snow and temps are 40 and above . The last two rounds I've played, temps have topped out at around 50, and it's been very windy, but at this point in the year, any rounds I can get in are a bonus. Playing very infrequently and in tough conditions, I don't really care what I shoot, as long as I at least hit some good shots.

Posted:
    Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) HZRDUS Black 85X (or Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x)
    Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200 (sometimes)
    WITB Link

I will generally play when it's 40 degrees and above if two conditions are met, there is some sunshine, and wind is calm. Generally, if those conditions are not met I will find something else to do. I have other hobbies that I have a passion for so they are good fill-ins for the winter.

Posted:

39F with a wind chill to 32 or so. Got in 18 in an hour and 55 minutes.

About 15 people on the entire course.

Posted:
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0
  • ten8suitedten8suited Members  8WRX Points: 33Posts: 8 Bunkers

I'll also play up to 40 degrees, the key is having a good baselayer. Got my streak at 40 months with my collection of baselayers.

Posted:

Playing tomorrow, Sunday, Monday, and if no rain, Tuesday.

WE'VE GOT TO PLAY WHEN WE CAN!

Walking only, so probably just 18 each day.

Jack the Big Dog says, "Play Now!".

Posted:
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0

Advertisement
  • 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game Members  3557WRX Points: 239Handicap: 3.8Posts: 3,557 Titanium Tees

Playing Twin Lakes tmrw...excited to get another round in!

Posted:
  • gripandripgripandrip Members  1184WRX Points: 209Posts: 1,184 Platinum Tees

Played today. While it never climbed out of the 30's, there was sun and absolutely NO wind. Nice day on the course, although after 8-9 inches of snow melt it was a little wet. A few unfortunate balls... stuck on the thin ice.

Posted:

Here is Jack the Big Dog with his weather gauge telling me to take more club because it's cold and there is a wind from the southwest.

Jack told me that Monday and Tuesday will be the last days for golf in Metro Detroit for a few weeks due to a failure to achieve the global warming we are all waiting for.

Jack is almost never wrong.

PS: The course was packed today! Took 3 hours and 42 minutes for 18, which is very unusual for late November.

Some friends waiting to hit their approach to 15 today.

Posted:
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0

Lots of fun today. Could have gone low with some better putting.

Posted:

Carl's in Plymouth re-did their range recently, and it's a pretty nice improvement. Before, it was pretty hard to see some of the targets beyond the ones about 150 yards out. Now, they're all pretty visible, and they added Trackman Range. I had been there a couple weeks ago, and it wasn't operational yet, but I went to hit a bucket at lunch today, and it was working, and while it doesn't show you spin, it's still a nice thing to have while you're hitting balls, and it's really easy to get working. Newer balls, too, so overall, it should be a nicer place to hit balls occasionally during the winter.

Posted:
    WITB Link

Advertisement

Got it 27. Might be the last golf in Metro D for a while, because the weather is not looking great.

Foxes and a some dood in just a polo (with the wind chill it was about 34F).

Posted:
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0

Some very interesting pictures posted above, but one thing you won't see in those pictures next to a fox is me. I'm a fair-weather golfer and have got my clubs indoors cleaned up waiting for springtime. I will go to the local golf dome a few times and stay loose but that's about it. Have fun, although!

Posted:

Our five players got in 22 holes at 39 degrees today. There were a few frozen ice patches, but the two most difficult things were getting your tee into the ground and playing way, way less club into the green. Every approach was bouncing like you hit the cart path! Every single player bounced it over the green on the second hole and we all laughed at what idiots we were from not learning from the guys who hit first.

Posted:
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0
  • Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Members  1637WRX Points: 168Posts: 1,637 Platinum Tees

What course is that?

Posted:
    8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV

It is Rackham. 2 and 1/2 years ago I would have told you to not play there, but that was before they hired Doug and his wonder dog Baxter. They, and the course management, have turned it around. The greens are excellent. The pace of play very respectable (unlike in years past). And, from the tips, it's a challenge. Yes, there are still irrigation problems on about 7 of the holes when it rains a lot, but that is all in fairways and rough.

If you have not played it since after 2016, it's worth a play to reevaluate.

Posted:
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0

Advertisement

Only got in 18 yesterday, and two of our guys quit after 9. It was right on the threshold of survivability for humans, as with the wind chill in the late afternoon, we were pushing 30/32. The high for the day was 41 when the sun came out for half an hour.

The crazy deer just came up to us on the 17th tee when we were on the box. Just stood there while we all teed off. City deer don't care!

This might be the end for 2019. We're going to try and play next Sunday or Monday, but it will probably be sub 40.

Managed to shoot 38, 44, 39, 40 my last four 9s, which is just about what I shoot when it's 80 out, so that was very odd and unexpected. One very groovy thing is the ground is so hard I had a 288 yard drive on the first and a little over 290 on the 6th. That a good 20 yards past my normal, "longer" drives. All about that bounce!

Pretty good parking lot fill for 37F

My 288 yard drive (measured by laser). Well over the ditch on 1!

Posted:
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0

Metro Detroit golfers, we've got a heatwave coming this weekend! This might be it for 2019, which is unfortunate as I was trying to beat my record of Dec 28th 2018 for the latest calendar date round in a year.

Get out there and play before it's too late!

This update provided by Phil Connors.

Posted:
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0

I'm definitely considering playing Monday since it's a corporate holiday for us this year.

Any idea on who's open?

Posted:

Advertisement

For certain Rackham is open. Sanctuary Lake basically never closes, so I bet they will be open (but I find the greens to be wildly variable in the Fall and Winter).

It might be possible for you to join us on Monday at Rackham. We are playing at 11:30. We have three now, but a fourth is supposed to confirm soon. But that doesn't matter, as I can call a dood and we can get more tee times (plus, you can use my guest rate, which is absurdly low).

Posted:
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.