2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Olympic Golf - How much does a win mean?

ChillyDipper

Not sure if this belongs in "Tour Talk" (Mods, please move if not), but I thought I would start a poll to gauge the level of importance we place on an Olympic golf win, as spectators of the sport. Aside from politics and health discussions of the upcoming Olympics, comparing the field, the venue, the national pride, what would you rather win? Personally, I'm interested to see it played just out of curiosity, but in ranking importance I would place a victory, or even silver or bronze, somewhere between a regular tour event and a Major.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since most of the big names are opting out and more will most likely back off before the games begin, it will be a fairly weak field, so you can add that aspect to it. In the for what it's worth category, playing in a not so safe environment, would not be a top priority in my book. Just too much money at stake to take that kind of a chance IMO.........

A win is worth as much publicity as it creates, as publicity translates directly into sponsorship money. The Olympics are a publicity cornucopia.

Until it is more established and played somewhere without the threat of disease such that a full field enters, it won't mean that much to the players.

I think a player would probably rather win a full field WGC, but will be thrilled with the extra money an Olympic victory will provide. The appeal will be to younger players who get an opportunity to rub elbows with "real" athletes in the village read "single."

It will be perceived differently by different players. Some won't think it's a big deal. Jack Nicklaus has said that he thinks it's a big deal, and he'd want that gold medal because he doesn't have one. But, the current star players don't seem to think that it's a big deal.

With the way it's been received by the players, I can't imagine the Olympic Committee continuing beyond Japan in 2020. They may have a great experience in Japan but it will be too late by then because decisions will have already been made.

I'd rather have any major than a gold medal. But, I'd rather have a gold medal than any other Tour event. I'd rather have a gold medal than play in the Ryder Cup. It's one of those things that once you've got it, nobody can take it away from you. And, only occurring once every four years.... pretty hard to attain. It's like winning the Open at St Andrews.... you only get 1 or 2 chances when you're in the prime of your career.

My guess is that there will be more overall talent top to bottom in a Web.Com event then this.

As for the comment about nobody being able to take it away, you see lots of medals taken away after people test positive. Hell Carl Lewis shouldn't have any medals as everyone was a juicer back then. Maybe if VJ was playing they would take away for Deer Antler spray. Or heaven forbid Sudafed.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

I'd rather win the John Deere Classic than an Olympic Gold. I'd rather come in 2nd at the John Deere than win a silver. I'd rather make the cut at the John Deere than win a bronze.

Olympic golf should be for amateurs. Having pros there is meaningless.

Every four years I actually hope that the USA basketball team loses because it seems like such a circus.

I'd rather win the John Deere Classic than an Olympic Gold. I'd rather come in 2nd at the John Deere than win a silver. I'd rather make the cut at the John Deere than win a bronze.

Olympic golf should be for amateurs. Having pros there is meaningless.

Every four years I actually hope that the USA basketball team loses because it seems like such a circus.

So that's what happens when you tap "Post" twice.....

Mizuno MP-20’s

Ping G-410

I've always been of the opinion that no one really wanted to go from the beginning and they're all quite thankful that nature has provided a reasonable excuse, so I'd compare its import to the NFL's Pro Bowl; people want to be named to the team, but they develop a lingering hamstring injury when it comes to actually going.

I'd put it at less than a regular tour event, better than a web.com.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Nothing whatsoever.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

I guess when I created the thread I was hoping that some of these immediate aspects associated with the Brazil Olympics could be put aside - Zika, life safety, player dropouts, etc... If all is well and all the top players are there, how does the tournament rate? Granted, most would agree that the highest proportion of good golf is in the US, and if the US is limited to bringing as many players as any lesser state, then the field quality could be seen as diminished, but I don't think its to say that the it would be an automatic podium finish for the US. I do like the idea of an Amateur Tourney though.

The prestige of golf in the Olympics may depend on who wins the medals.

If Speith, DJ and Rose win the medals, the media and typical golf fans will accept that not all the top golfers tee it up in the same event except the majors, Players and WGCs.

If Camillo Villegas, Kiradech Aphinbahrnrat and Ben An win, the media may not embrace it as much, but it will likely have a much bigger impact globally. (think Korean women's golf after Se Ri Pak)

In the end, since the Olympics are only held once every four years, most players will only have a realistic chance to win two or three times during the prime of their careers (if they have long periods of success in their careers).

The winners of those Olympic medals, in either case, will look back on those medals as one of the biggest accomplishments of their careers. I would be willing to bet that Tiger or Phil would love to add an Olympic gold medal to their trophy case and would display it next to their major trophies.

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

The prestige of golf in the Olympics may depend on who wins the medals.

If Speith, DJ and Rose win the medals, the media and typical golf fans will accept that not all the top golfers tee it up in the same event except the majors, Players and WGCs.

If Camillo Villegas, Kiradech Aphinbahrnrat and Ben An win, the media may not embrace it as much, but it will likely have a much bigger impact globally. (think Korean women's golf after Se Ri Pak)

In the end, since the Olympics are only held once every four years, most players will only have a realistic chance to win two or three times during the prime of their careers (if they have long periods of success in their careers).

The winners of those Olympic medals, in either case, will look back on those medals as one of the biggest accomplishments of their careers. I would be willing to bet that Tiger or Phil would love to add an Olympic gold medal to their trophy case and would display it next to their major trophies.

Good point. Most of the top tennis players skipped the 1988 Olympics in Seoul but Steffi Graf won it, along with all 4 majors. So the press started calling it the Golden Slam which became a desirable achievement. Now Djokovic and Federer want it badly because they've won everything else.

The Olympic achievement will likely be judged by the quality of the field that attends. At this rate they're going to be competing against Gary Player and his caddy with a borrowed set of Dunlops.

Zika virus aside, which I think is a big factor for the younger guys, the whole thing has been badly organised and does little to attract the world's top golfers to an area riddled with disease and crime.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

The Olympic achievement will likely be judged by the quality of the field that attends. At this rate they're going to be competing against Gary Player and his caddy with a borrowed set of Dunlops.

Zika virus aside, which I think is a big factor for the younger guys, the whole thing has been badly organised and does little to attract the world's top golfers to an area riddled with disease and crime.

The world's best golfers are coming to Scotland next month so I don't think disease or crime is enough to put them off :taunt:

The world's best golfers are coming to Scotland next month so I don't think disease or crime is enough to put them off :taunt:

Touche' lol The global appeal of deep friend pizza, Irn Bru and haggis fritters is enough to lure the best of them. Besides, the best links courses are in NI, roll on 2019. Says the man from Ulster.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

Guys

I am late to the party! But just a rant from me .

I do not believe professional golfers should be allowed to play in the Olympics and that is the same for every sport. The olympics started as a amateur event and that is how it should be.

As for putting it in poor third world countries where people can get diseases and mugged and the economy is not strong enough to support its own people let alone pay for an Olympics is crazy ?

The Olympics makes about 6 kabajilloon dollars, pocketed by a select few. Why restrict that to amateurs? No Michael Phelps? Come on, the guy is going to love trolling for trannies in Brazil. The Olympics is not the honorable event many believe it is, restricting it to amateurs would be counter to the reason for its existence, which is money.

Frankly, I do not consider Golf, an olympic sport.

As long as things like synchronized swimming qualifies as an Olympic sport, you might as well add Golf. Of course my personal opinion is that an "Olympic sport" should be defined as whether the athlete dictates the outcome, so personally I would get rid of anything with a judge, but that is just me.

One man and one woman will win Olympic Gold Medals and regardless of the withdrawals and any other issues surrounding the games, those medals will be very important. Those two individuals will be the ONLY Olympic Gold Medal winners in golf. Their sponsors will advertise those medals with their products and the winners may gain extra sponsors. It is possible the Masters and other majors may decide to grant exemptions to the Gold Medal winners. It will be something special and unique for those two that win. And... that honor will be theirs alone for the next four years. I'm guessing by the time the 2020 Olympics arrive, an Olympic Gold in golf will be very coveted... much more so than it is today in advance of the games.

[i]The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. -Bob Dylan[/i]
[i]Everything is dust in the wind. -Kansas[/i]

The rarity of an Olympic medal will add to its prestige down the road. Yes, these Olympics are being tarnished by Zika and Rio's crime rate, but down the road any golfer would love to be award a Gold Medal for their accomplishment. There are 4 majors a year and golfers dream of that, but how coveted of an event would it be to only be every 4 years.

Golf in the Olympics will rise as long as the monstrosity that is Rio does not ruin it for the future.

Harrington made a good point on a radio show about the universality of a gold medal around the world that will even trump majors. He said if he was playing in America he'd say he was a 3 time major winner. But if he was in China or many other places where the Olympics has much greater importance then he would sooner say he was an Olympic champion if he won than a major winner regardless of the strength of the field.